shape
carat
color
clarity

are all 18 k gold chains created equal??

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
I am looking for a gold chain for my diamond pendant. I hope this is OK to post here.
The gold chain I got around 15 years ago is a weird colour now - I haven't worn it for around 10 years. - I have no idea if it was real gold, or what carat it was. So - if I get a 18 k gold chain, are they all the same? Tiffany gold chain v an online vendor v bricks and mortar? Sorry for the silly question - but i am not talking about the type of chain, but the gold composition, colour etc - will it matter where i purchase the 18 k gold chain from??
Thank you so much
:wavey:
d2b

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will oxidize and become dark. I have to bring my 22K and 24K gold jewellery to the shop every few years to get them heated to become shiny yellow again. Those that I do not wear remain buttery yellow but those I wear 24/7 tend to darken a lot.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No all chains are not all created equal, and not all findings are, either. Stay away from "rope" chains. In theory they'd be very strong, but most are actually made with a method that makes them very weak and susceptible to breakage. And definitely consider getting your current chain cleaned if you like it. Gold doesn't oxidize the same way silver does, but it can get a stubborn film of some sort on it over time. I've had good luck with the hot water/Dawn/a bit of ammonia and a soft toothbrush method, but you might not want to do this with a fine chain.

BTW with many less expensive chains, the rings that connect the chain to the clasp or jump ring won't be soldered. IMHO it's worth your while to get them soldered... or to buy a better chain to begin with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results