shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine - What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Dan Stair has an aquamarine on his site that is available. It is a lighter color, but it has a great price. I''m wondering what you think - I''m considering getting it. Here is what Dan says about it:

It is a Tanzanian stone that weighs 2.07 carats and measures 7.59mm across the short way from side to side (the way princess cuts are measured for settings). The stone is a lighter, slightly greenish blue and is eye clean.

Do you think it is too light? The price is pretty good for the weight - the stone is $125. The cut is very attractive.

207AquaPrincess.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The cut is nice, but it is very pale. I personally like a stone that has a darker tone. How do you plan to set it? If you were to do a bezel, that may help with the color a little. But with a tone that light, I am concerned that it will look more like a white stone than a blue one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks more like goshenite (colorless beryl) than aqua. I really don't care for it at all (I saw it earlier tonight). If you like his cutting, then go for it. To me, colorless beryl is very glass-like in appearance. That quality of aqua will sell for much less than that per carat. I think in this case, you're paying for the cutting primarily.

You should email him about the blue in it though. I did hear his pics are lighter than the actual stone.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I would likely bezel it. The light color is what concerns me as well. But it is lovely, don''t you think?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 12:22:10 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
That looks more like goshenite (colorless beryl) than aqua. I really don''t care for it at all (I saw it earlier tonight). If you like his cutting, then go for it. To me, colorless beryl is very glass-like in appearance. That quality of aqua will sell for much less than that per carat. I think in this case, you''re paying for the cutting primarily.

You should email him about the blue in it though. I did hear his pics are lighter than the actual stone.
I will ask him if it is darker in person - I have heard others comment that the pictures usually appear lighter.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I don't think a bezel could help that stone. I just purchased a very finely cut African aqua for much less, but it was much lighter than I wanted, although not as light as that stone. I put it in a semi mount that was made to precisely fit this stone. Didn't care for it at all. The problem with such light aqua is that the slightest bit of dirt, wash your hands, grime, and it will look very hazy. Here's that very light aqua in a bezel setting. What do you think? I think bleah!!

This aqua is 2.71 carats, USA cut, and I paid half as much. Don't get me wrong, Dan has amazing stones at great prices, but I don't care for this particular stone.

lightaquainbezel.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
tl - what do you think of the amethyst he just posted? I don''t have any details on it. That''s my birthstone...

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Well I am not into princess cut at all! But this does look nice, but I have to agree with Tourmaline_Lover, I prefer them darker in colour.

But it is nice.

Now onto the amethyst! Love it!!! Very insanely pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s much prettier than the aqua. It''s not top amethyst color, it''s your typical medium toned Brazilian shade of amethyst. However, the cutting on it will really help bring it to life. I''m more of a fan of deep Siberian color amethysts. Again ask him about the true color of the stone, pictures can be deceiving. Ask him if it has blue undertones or is it more of a straight purple.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 12:32:50 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Unfortunately, I don''t think a bezel could help that stone. I just purchased a very finely cut African aqua for much less, but it was much lighter than I wanted, although not as light as that stone. I put it in a semi mount that was made to precisely fit this stone. Didn''t care for it at all. The problem with such light aqua is that the slightest bit of dirt, wash your hands, grime, and it will look very hazy. Here''s that very light aqua in a bezel setting. What do you think? I think bleah!!

This aqua is 2.71 carats, USA cut, and I paid half as much. Don''t get me wrong, Dan has amazing stones at great prices, but I don''t care for this particular stone.

If you don''t want it! I''ll have it!
3.gif

Looks a bit greyish though. How come you set it if you don''t like it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't set it. It's just sitting on top of the mounting in the bezel. I'm thinking of just keeping the stone because I love the cutting on it. Thanks for the compliment though, it's just very blah to me. I guess everyone has their own tastes.
1.gif

Aquas tend to have a lot of grey in them. To find deep blue aqua without grey is like finding a treasure.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
So he says it is medium light slightly greenish blue by aqua standards and not light like mall aquas. He says it is not like the near colorless ones from Brazil.

Must just be the photograph. I''m thinking it over. It does appear very pretty to me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone that has never purchased anything from Dan, all I can say is that your best bet would be to ask someone else who has, or try it, and if you don't like it, send it back. I'm personally not a fan of "medium light" aqua, but that's me, it's YOU that has to like it.

Mall aqua is colorless, so anything compared to that would have some color, but how much????

Here's a medium colored greenish blue aqua that I think is very beautiful in color and cut. Ask him if it's anything like this, or lighter.

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/setting-an-asscher-aqua-need-advice-t103158.html

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Allright, I sent him the photo of the asscher face up so he can compare.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased a few stones from Dan and his cuts are exceptional. Unfortunately, I have not purchased a aqua from him. The aqua in question does seem light but not colorless, it does have that soft baby soft blue and as others noted, his pictures is lighter than real life.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I like the light aqua color, and the cut is lovely! If you love it, I say go for it, especially for that price!

I''d definitely try to get another pic in different lighting conditions first though, to make sure that the color is what you want.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've bought 2 stones from Dan and his description of both stones were right on the money. If he says it's not light, washed out like the ones you see in the mall I would believe him. It looks like a lovely stone so I'd give it a try if you think you will like it.

ETA: On my computer anyway the pictures of the stones I've purchased were lighter than in real life.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve not purchased from Dan but have seen many references to his stones being darker than the photos show so I''d go by his description rather than the photo. Does he have a return policy? If so, then why not go ahead and get it for a look?

The only other thing I would add is that the best way to bring out the colour in that stone is bezel setting as others have mentioned BUT in yellow gold not white gold. White gold with a stone so pale would emphasize the icy-ness. The yellow might make it a warmer blue colour.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of this aquamarine?

2.27 carats, 9.2mm x 6.6mm, VVS clarity

2560414.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That is Gary''s stone and is probably a excellent cut. He states it''s also a baby blue. He has a good policy on returns. I have bought numerous stones from him and he is fantastic to deal with.

Gene has a nice looking aqua on his website. I have never bought a stone from him therefore I''m not sure his photo is lighter or darker. But it sure is purdy! Hopefully I''ll be getting a few stones from him next year.

prettyaqua.png

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mochi for the comments on Gary''s stone. The one you show from Gene is lovely, but out of my price range!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Good luck on your search. I did get a asscher cut aqua from Gary and although it is light, it''s a beautiful cut. My husband was very impressed with the workmanship.

I also can''t say enough good things about Dan. His cuts are great and his stones sparkle.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Mochi,
If you were choosing between the stone Dan has and the stone Gary has, which one would you prefer?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2008 11:49:11 AM
Author: mochi
That is Gary''s stone and is probably a excellent cut. He states it''s also a baby blue. He has a good policy on returns. I have bought numerous stones from him and he is fantastic to deal with.

Gene has a nice looking aqua on his website. I have never bought a stone from him therefore I''m not sure his photo is lighter or darker. But it sure is purdy! Hopefully I''ll be getting a few stones from him next year.
Gene stated that the color of this aqua is "medium" in the description, hence it would be darker than the color of the finewater or Dan Stair aqua, but by how much, I don''t know. Again, to find out the true color of the stone, I would email Gary, Dan, and Gene to make sure. Usually pictures taken with a darker background are indicative of a lighter stone.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
TL: I''ve been drooling over this particular aqua from Gene since he posted the picture. It''s unheated and as you wrote, medium blue. I really want it so bad, but I have to be a good girl for a bit. I wish he had lay-a-way, I would love pay part and pay it off in a month or so!!

Cinnamon: Both of these stones will be absolutely beautiful when it comes to cuttings. I think both will also be a light blue.

It really comes down to which you think you will be happy with, a square one or a rectangular cut. Also consider what you are going to do with this stone, if it''s a ring, what kind of setting will you be working with. Which ever you choose, if you accept that it''s light blue, it''s going to be a stunning stone.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input.
emsmile.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2008 12:35:54 PM
Author: mochi
TL: I've been drooling over this particular aqua from Gene since he posted the picture. It's unheated and as you wrote, medium blue. I really want it so bad, but I have to be a good girl for a bit. I wish he had lay-a-way, I would love pay part and pay it off in a month or so!!

Cinnamon: Both of these stones will be absolutely beautiful when it comes to cuttings. I think both will also be a light blue.

It really comes down to which you think you will be happy with, a square one or a rectangular cut. Also consider what you are going to do with this stone, if it's a ring, what kind of setting will you be working with. Which ever you choose, if you accept that it's light blue, it's going to be a stunning stone.
Mochi,
Yes, the Gene stone is really beautiful. I hope a PS-er gets it and posts pics.

Cinnamon:
I have a medium dark Nigerian aqua to show you how aquas can really run the spectrum of color. Just get what appeals to you most in color and what your wallet can afford. My stone is in a hideous setting, but I've had it for years and years. I got it before aqua prices went up and up and up for finer qualities. Also check out paraibainternational.com to see a myriad of aquas in every blue color. As you can see, there are some with more grey and green modifiers than others. It depends on what appeals to you.

medium_dark_aqua.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a 1 carat aqua of mine that I would consider of a "medium" blue color. This stone looks much darker when sitting in a bezel setting. This stone was very inexpensive because it's small.

medium_aqua.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medium light aqua, but still attractive enough. It's a bit dirty. I really have to keep this stone really super clean in order for it to look it's best. However, the above aqua can be dirty and it still looks nice.

medium_light.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a very light aqua and typical of mall stores. This was one of my first ring purchases (I learned a lot since then). I never ever wear this ring.

lightaqua.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results