shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine- newbie

khal80

Rough_Rock
It's probably just a specific angle of the stone in the picture that looks like there's a chip. I would believe him if he says there's no chips. I've had excellent experiences with them.

That said the window would bother me. I like the pear Icy posted.

Are you making it into a pendant for the person or just giving them the stone? I would recommend using Starlanka for the setting if you're paying for the setting as well. They do flawless work.

I'm not affiliated with them. I've just used them for a few projects and been very happy with the results.

I am giving them the stone and they are able to do what they please with it ....the idea is for them to make it into a pendant

They have been great to work with and equally a great experience on this forum, you all have been great, I'll keep you posted and will get a side by side with the pear icy recommended to look at as well

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The chip might just be a camera thing Icy?

The window is a window though. I could let fresh air through it.

Possibly? But I don’t see it in the pics on the site so it could be new chip after all the glamour shots were taken. Or there is an inclusion or some wonky cutting there that could be bothersome irl. Best to check carefully

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if the chip is not a chip, the massive window still bothers me, sorry!

The original stone in question is big, however, size is not everything.

I have been to window shop at high end jewellery stores last weekend when I was in London, and some of the Aquas I saw costing a lot of money were poorly cut with massive windows which bothered me. The first thing I noticed was the massive window especially in emerald cut stones then the colour, size and clarity.

The nicer Aquas I have are both just over 6ct and in emerald cut which is what I prefer in Aquas. One is set in a 3-stone ring with EC Morganite traps, and the other one is still unset. I may set that one as a ringdant as in a convertible ring pendant if I can.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi, could you provide more information as to what we are looking at please?

I do not wish to assume the top one AQ2067 at 18.99ct is the same stone as the one posted in your original post, sorry!

TIA.

khal80

Rough_Rock
Hi, could you provide more information as to what we are looking at please?

I do not wish to assume the top one AQ2067 at 18.99ct is the same stone as the one posted in your original post, sorry!

TIA.

it is, its the original stone for comparison to another pear shape he has in stock

I know the original was a hard pass bc of window, I asked for a group pic so I could see the difference

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it is, its the original stone for comparison to another pear shape he has in stock

I know the original was a hard pass bc of window, I asked for a group pic so I could see the difference

Thanks for the clarification.

The reason I asked is that the window in the original stone is less visible in this new pic, and I would even go as far as to say it is tolerable!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Neither really does it for me from that one pic. Still see the window in the original pear and the new one has some inclusions and concentrated color at the ends that I don’t like. That said you can’t really tell from one single pic. Video would be better, or at least multiple pics. You know that feeling when you see something and you go “yeah that’s the one!”. Yup, neither does that right now.

Personally I would look at the other shapes and choose one that looks best but it’s really up to you what you prefer since you seem to prefer a pear shape.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Neither really does it for me from that one pic. Still see the window in the original pear and the new one has some inclusions and concentrated color at the ends that I don’t like. That said you can’t really tell from one single pic. Video would be better, or at least multiple pics. You know that feeling when you see something and you go “yeah that’s the one!”. Yup, neither does that right now.

Agree with this. The window is less noticeable in this pic because lighting from the side gives contrast between the two sides of the groove. But it's still a huge window. I suspect, though I can't be sure, that the same applies to the smaller stone. You'd need more photos to tell.

On the positive side, it may be possible to hide a window in a setting with a suitable reflective cup behind the stone. But I wouldn't count on it. If it were me, I'd be looking for another stone.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
There is a window there but I would not call it huge. This Aqua is probably very light in tone. Being that and on a white background shows through the stone more. Light colored stones are always easier to see through unless they are cut into a very brilliant or portuguse oval, round or trillion. I suppose you can throw cushions in there too that are brilliant cut. Step cuts and big facets are not the friend of very light toned stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only buy from a highly reputable dealer, and get a thorough lab report if it’s a very expensive stone. There’s super convincing synthetic material out of there, and irradiated material that can fade.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you thought to having one specifically cut to what you want? Gary at Finewater cut both of my asscher aquas.

Attachments

• aqua.jpg
    aqua.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 4

khal80

Rough_Rock
Have you thought to having one specifically cut to what you want? Gary at Finewater cut both of my asscher aquas.
Thanks, I've reached out.
Unfortunately I'm on a time constraint and did not prepare...but there people out there looking! Very appreciative of all the opinions and guidance

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results