shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine- newbie

khal80

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy an aquamarine stone for a 50th bday gift to a family member.....she likes nice things!

With budget constraints, sub 2K, I wanted to find a piece she can make into a pendant

What are your thoughts on this stone? 18.99 Carat Screenshot_20230123-095113 (1).png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230123-095120_2.png
    Screenshot_20230123-095120_2.png
    598.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20230123-095116_2.png
    Screenshot_20230123-095116_2.png
    413.7 KB · Views: 40

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would pass as I could see a big chip and a big window.

Nice colour though.

DK :))

khal80

Rough_Rock
I took screenshots of a video, let me see if I can better pictures

I'm open to suggestions or leads in where to find what I am looking for!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would pass as I could see a big chip and a big window.

Nice colour though.

Same. Immediate pass. Plus the color is quite light? Fine if you want/like the color but I find the darker aquamarines much nicer looking.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would personally wait until the Tucson shows are finished before contacting lapidary artists such as Jeff White and Gary Braun to see if they managed to pick up some nice roughs.

What are your priority - size, colour, clarity or cutting?

And the preferred shapes please?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same. Immediate pass. Plus the color is quite light? Fine if you want/like the color but I find the darker aquamarines much nicer looking.

Personally, I prefer them pale with a hint of green, however, each to their own.

DK ;)2

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I prefer them pale with a hint of green, however, each to their own.

DK ;)2

Yeah that’s why I said fine if she likes/wants the color. I did recently chat with someone who didn’t know aquamarines came in darker shades hence thought to point out since she mentioned that the family member likes nice things.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah that’s why I said fine if she likes/wants the color. I did recently chat with someone who didn’t know aquamarines came in darker shades hence thought to point out since she mentioned that the family member likes nice things.

(To the OP, apologies for going off-topic in advance!)

Have you seen the video of the new Aqua Jeff W has finished for me? It is darker without any green.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@dk168 I just saw! It’s so pretty! I’m a recent aquamarine fan too, after getting this one here:

Sorry OP!

Anyway just to show how much aquamarine color can vary by, you can see the lighter loose blue aquamarine on top, the aquamarine in the middle and a beryl (not aquamarine but same family) at the bottom.

khal80

Rough_Rock
That's beautiful

Not sure how to answer the important factors.

I want something with the larger size bc she likes bigger pieces

I always thought cut was very important

She likes the blue colors but I guess I have to sacrifice somewhere while staying in budget ..

Any thoughts on the "perfect" combination to look for ? Where should I sacrifice ...size ?

khal80

Rough_Rock
Oh and I need it in hand by Feb 12

Cut size color clarity....I think

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and I need it in hand by Feb 12

Cut size color clarity....I think

Custom cut route takes much longer than that!

Therefore, I suggest for you to have a look at the Starlanka offerings, and post the ones that catch your eyes for CS experts (not me) here to comment etc...
This is starlanka

Eh? Sorry, I do not understand. :confused:

khal80

Rough_Rock
This stone was recommended by starlanka

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's beautiful

She likes the blue colors but I guess I have to sacrifice somewhere while staying in budget ..

Any thoughts on the "perfect" combination to look for ? Where should I sacrifice ...size ?

IMHO, based on my own preferences....

For bigger size Aquas and other Beryls they need to be relatively clean as in minimal inclusions.

Emerald cut is probably the most unforgiving, therefore, probably not suitable for the more included stones.

Colour is VERY personal as can be demonstrated in the short exchange between @icy_jade and myself, and that's just 2 people!

Have a look at Jeff W's cut stone gallery for Beryls and see what appeals to you, bearing in mind that your family member may prefer something else!

https://www.whitesgems.com/berylgallery

1674494080013.png

khal80

Rough_Rock
@dk168 I just saw! It’s so pretty! I’m a recent aquamarine fan too, after getting this one here:

59164CE2-C6EF-48A0-8013-43BFBB6993F8.jpeg

Sorry OP!

Anyway just to show how much aquamarine color can vary by, you can see the lighter loose blue aquamarine on top, the aquamarine in the middle and a beryl (not aquamarine but same family) at the bottom.

121F260B-BA6D-485A-8D6E-6D50AB261425.jpeg

top color, is her pref

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
This is starlanka

That's beautiful

Please know that Aqua is light in specific gravity. Generalized example: lead is much more dense than aluminum and a smaller piece of lead will way much more than aluminum. So, an Aqua will be bigger per say than Spinel, Sapphire, Zircon, etc. the same carat weight in the same exact cut. But also know, cut comes into how big the face up will be. A deep cut will have a smaller face up size than a medium to shallow depth cut. Shallow will be the biggest face up but you’re going to have a window in the stone that will affect color and performance. Medium is optimal. Deep can be very nice if it is not so deep to cause extinction, dark areas in the stone. Most Aqua is very light to medium light in tone, so extinction will not be as big as problem as with darker stones. But most of all, an Aqua that is 3 to 6 carats will be perfect and of substantial size for a ring, especially pear cut. Unless your girlfriend/wife want a huge stone in a ring, look to 3 to 6 carats. You can get a very nicely colored Aqua that weight in your price range, if you look at many options from many dealers.

Here is something to help you judge size – 25.40 mm equals 1 inch.

khal80

Rough_Rock
Please know that Aqua is light in specific gravity. Generalized example: lead is much more dense than aluminum and a smaller piece of lead will way much more than aluminum. So, an Aqua will be bigger per say than Spinel, Sapphire, Zircon, etc. the same carat weight in the same exact cut. But also know, cut comes into how big the face up will be. A deep cut will have a smaller face up size than a medium to shallow depth cut. Shallow will be the biggest face up but you’re going to have a window in the stone that will affect color and performance. Medium is optimal. Deep can be very nice if it is not so deep to cause extinction, dark areas in the stone. Most Aqua is very light to medium light in tone, so extinction will not be as big as problem as with darker stones. But most of all, an Aqua that is 3 to 6 carats will be perfect and of substantial size for a ring, especially pear cut. Unless your girlfriend/wife want a huge stone in a ring, look to 3 to 6 carats. You can get a very nicely colored Aqua that weight in your price range, if you look at many options from many dealers.

Here is something to help you judge size – 25.40 mm equals 1 inch.

Thank you for this!

We are going for a stone for a pendant/necklace

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
A 6 carat pear would be fine for a pendant. Pear shapes are perfect for that. They are long.

khal80

Rough_Rock
These pics will help a lot more than my screenshots of a video... IMG-20230123-WA0024.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20230123-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20230123-WA0023.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 14

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
These pics will help a lot more than my screenshots of a video... IMG-20230123-WA0024.jpg

I had a look at the Star Lanka website and this is probably one of the nicer pears they have yet there is still a window and a chip.

Will you consider other shapes? For pendants I think any elongated shape can work too, and I’ve see some nice ovals and emerald/radiant aquamarines that are quite nice.

Personally I prefer aquas around 8 carat or so (+/-2 carats). Bigger can start looking a bit OTT for daily wear and smaller is erm, too small.

Go for eye clean if possible. It makes the stone look more alive/sparkly and visible inclusions are quite distracting.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Am by no means an expert but went thru the site and these caught my eye.

Pear:

Square Cushion:

Long Cushion:

If you think they are decent, maybe ask for a few group shots/videos to see which one stands out most. Can include the original pear too.

One thing I do when I’m unsure of the gem size is to use a post-it and draw out the shape/size of the gem and then cut it out. Since is a post it so I can use the sticky part to paste against my finger/chest/etc to get an idea of how big/small the gem is and whether it will look too big/small. Is just a visual estimate since irl the gem has depth and will look a bit bigger if anything but personally I’ve found it useful.

Good luck!

khal80

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much all this help is much appreciated.

He said the cut is flawless and there is no chip

I take a look at your suggestions

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much all this help is much appreciated.

He said the cut is flawless and there is no chip

I take a look at your suggestions

It's probably just a specific angle of the stone in the picture that looks like there's a chip. I would believe him if he says there's no chips. I've had excellent experiences with them.

That said the window would bother me. I like the pear Icy posted.

Are you making it into a pendant for the person or just giving them the stone? I would recommend using Starlanka for the setting if you're paying for the setting as well. They do flawless work.

I'm not affiliated with them. I've just used them for a few projects and been very happy with the results.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are not sellers and have no reason to lie to you

A1EEE72E-9C4E-4CDE-845B-4C5A032004C4.jpeg

The chip might just be a camera thing Icy?

The window is a window though. I could let fresh air through it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results