shape
carat
color
clarity

aquamarine in a split shank

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Patience

Rough_Rock
**UPDATED WITH PICS**

I'm getting excited - this is finally looking like it's going to happen!

Long story short - my DH proposed to me with this beautiful split shank setting (Danhov) but I was adamently against him ponying up a few grand on a diamond, because I wasn't sure that's what I wanted. I thought about an aquamarine, but everyone (friends/family) seemed to think I'd regret not having a diamond. sigh. So I've been walking around for almost 2 years with a CZ in my setting, trying to decide what I wanted to do...(no, no one knows this although I'm sure it's obvious to those who look, and it's actually a little embarrassing not being able to admit it. But as far as I'm concerned, it's no one else's business if it's real or not!)

I digress. I finally decide aquamarine it is...we were married in March, and both of our birthdays are in March. It's a special stone to us. And I saw a setting on here that was similar with a blue topaz and the blue just cinched the decision for me. I love it!

I contacted Michael E and he's custom cutting a stone for me, and I'm just SO FREAKING EXCITED to see the finished product!

So: now's the tough part. Choosing the stone. I have one I'm leaning towards but wanted to see what others think.

Michael's description of the stones is below, and my setting will be in the next post. Thanks!!

"The deepest color, large stone on the top would cost about
$800 when finished and be as deep as I've ever seen aqua, BUT it has some
wispy inclusions throughout the stone which would make it impossible to get
an eye clean stone from it. Like wise the best stone on the right has
inclusions which can't be cut around. The stone which I have labeled "Use
this one" is the stone that I would choose if I wanted the best combination
of color and clarity, as it is loupe clean. The cost for this stone would be
the $400 that you've already paid."

Aqua Parcel.jpg

Patience

Rough_Rock
and my setting. I''ll get another eternity band to go on top for our anniversary in March. :)

patiencesetting.jpg

Patience

Rough_Rock
one more of the setting, from James Allen''s website.

danhov split.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love blue; that is my favorite color. Diamonds are beautiful but I think the aquamarine has a special meaning, since it is both your birthday stones. I think it will fabulous!
36.gif
36.gif
Can''t wait to see it!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I love the darker blue stone (the $800 one), but I''d be concerned on the inclusions. If there the inclusions were minimally visible, then I''d choose the darker one. But if they will be pretty visible even from farther away, I''d either go with the lighter one or wait for something else to come.

Good luck choosing!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I can''t wait to see it when it''s finished!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooh, it''s going to be gorgeous!!! I can''t wait to see the finished aquamarine.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that setting. I can''t wait to see it finished!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it''s going to be FAB! Can''t wait to see which color you pick. Please post lots of pictures.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love aquamarine, but I''ll be honest and tell you I''d have reservations in using one for a ring worn all the time because of the hardness. A sapphire would be much harder and wear better over time. Even blue topaz is harder. Of course, you can always replace the aquamarine later if necessary. Just wanted to be sure you knew that.

Patience

Rough_Rock
thanks for the heads up.
26.gif
I actually have an aqua ring that was my grandmother''s (also her birthstone!) that I wear quite often, so I''ve become pretty concious of not banging my hands around. My setting is really, really low on my hand so hopefully I won''t have any problems.

I''ll be careful with it!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is going to be gorgeous! Too bad the stone all the way on the right had inclusions too...that medium blue color is amazing! I can''t wait to see the finished product.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
That is going to be a stunner of a ring when it''s done... please share pics when it is finished!!

Patience

Rough_Rock
Michael''s done cutting my stone and I should have my ring back this week! It looks beautiful from the pictures he''s sent - I''m attaching two below. I ended up going with the stone on the far right of the roughs you saw in the original post, and am glad I did. The color looks great! I''ll of course post hand pictures when I have it back.

26.gif

Aqua6.jpg

Patience

Rough_Rock
one more...

Aqua5.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooooh, I love the color. Post pics when done pls.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it''s going to be gorgeous!! Aquamarine''s are so sparkly, you will be amazed. I can''t wait to see it when it is done.
36.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous!!! Can't wait for the finished ring!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a lovely ring it will be and I love that blue has meaning for you both! Cannot wait to see photos!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is outstanding! I love it!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooh, very beautiful stone!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh that stone is soooooooooo yummmmmmmy. I can''t wait to see it set in your ring.

Linda

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh it''s beautiful! I''m so excited for you!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Patience, that must be your middle name! Wow! I just stumbled across this thread and am amazed that you''ve held out for 2 years for the perfect center stone for your ring! That aquamarine is gorgeous....I can''t wait to see the finished ring and how it looks on your hand. Congrats!
36.gif
35.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
That''s really pretty -- I''ve always loved aquamarine. It will really be pretty -- can''t wait to see the photos.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cut aqua is PERFECT! It is going to look awesome!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet that''s going to look gorgeous!
I have heard that aquamarines are used as engagement stones abroad. Has anyone else heard this?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Patience, I cannot wait to see your ring, it should be stunning!!

Patience

Rough_Rock
ahh! It''s on it''s way to me and I''ll have it tomorrow! I just got a few pics in from Michael - I''ve been waiting on pins and needles all day for them. He had to lengthen the prongs to fit the stone, since the aquamarine was cut so much deeper than the one that was previously in there.

cannot. wait. to have this on my hand!

AAqua1.jpg

Patience

Rough_Rock
another...

AAqua2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results