shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 11:06:38 AM
Author: zzbaron

Hi dreamer dachsie, if I go down the route of getting a sapphire it won’t be in a replica legacy setting. She liked the look of the Tiffany Legacy setting but not solely because it was from them. Before I started to look online we were going to the local b&m stores and it was nearly impossible to find an aquamarine (or any other gem for that matter) with a halo bezel look. At that time the only setting I knew of that was in that style was from Tiffany''s and the rest is history.

I know she likes the halo/bezel look so that has been my focus as far as settings go. I still need to do a little more research to make sure the bezel setting doesn’t detracts from the inherent beauty of the sapphire any way. I''d hate to buy a really nice sapphire and then find out that the bezel inhibits light from coming into the gem and in turn it looks flat. I don’t know if light entering a sapphire basically enters from the top like a diamond (because of the cut) or because of the properties of the sapphire it needs more real estate to get its sparkle and to make the blue vibrant in color.
you''re learning quickly. just to reinforce this: a find quality sapphire just does not need a lot of diamonds around it.......some down the side of the shank might be better.

mz

zzbaron

Rough_Rock
Its funny you just mentioned that movie zombie. I just finished looking at Chrono''s thread about her new ring (love the color and setting btw) and noticed you made a comment about how you didn''t care for halos. While I read that I though .. she (or a he as its hard tell around here
emotion-16.gif
) has been giving me advice on how to make this work even thought it might be a halo. That''s pretty cool. Now I know the temptation to mention your true feeling were to hard to resist
emwink.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 1/22/2010 2:43:15 PM
Its funny you just mentioned that movie zombie. I just finished looking at Chrono''s thread about her new ring (love the color and setting btw) and noticed you made a comment about how you didn''t care for halos. While I read that I though .. she (or a he as its hard tell around here
emotion-16.gif
) has been giving me advice on how to make this work even thought it might be a halo. That''s pretty cool. Now I know the temptation to mention your true feeling were to hard to resist
emwink.gif
sigh, i''ve been found out! i do try and keep anti-halo statements to a minimum......but it almost physically hurts to see an otherwise nice color stone over-whelmed with a diamond halo. Chron''s stone isn''t so it works. and admittedly, Chrono''s stone is more than "nice": its a fine, world class stone.

i''ve seen many settings with diamonds on the shanks and i prefer that look. checkout pierreone''s posting re a Swala tsavorite for the setting being considered for that stone. no halo but the diamonds are visable...and the tsav would certainly be the star of the show.

again, its very obvious you are doing your homework....and believe me when i say that it will definitely pay off.

another consideration re the e-ring, especially if you go a custom ring: what type of wedding band will look good with it and, and more importantly, be able to be worn with it. my e-ring is huge and chunky. i wear a very think 2mm 18k gold band with it....most people don''t even see it but i know it there.

mz, who is a she

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 5:54:50 PM
Changing topics a little bit … I think it would be cool if the jewelry industry had such a thing as the equivalent of a wedding planner. You tell an expert what you want and your price range and this person will maximize your money to the hilt contacting several jewelers, gem stores, etc for you. Maybe there is such a thing around here but I don’t know about it. And if there are these people need to advertise more.
26.gif
Or, is the equivalent to this (in the jewelry industry) is finding a respected jeweler and telling them the exact same thing? Although I think telling a jeweler how much you’re willing to spend seems like a disaster waiting to happen. It’s like going to a VW dealership and saying I want to buy a 35k sports car, what do you have on your lot to sell me? Instead of selling me a pimped out R32 I am being sold a Jetta with a 10k markup.
LOL, ZZbaron. You don't happen to have an R32, do you? I have one, and I chuckled aloud at your comparison.
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2010 5:26:13 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 1/22/2010 2:43:15 PM
emotion-16.gif
emwink.gif

sigh, i''ve been found out! i do try and keep anti-halo statements to a minimum......but it almost physically hurts to see an otherwise nice color stone over-whelmed with a diamond halo. Chron''s stone isn''t so it works. and admittedly, Chrono''s stone is more than ''nice'': its a fine, world class stone.

i''ve seen many settings with diamonds on the shanks and i prefer that look. checkout pierreone''s posting re a Swala tsavorite for the setting being considered for that stone. no halo but the diamonds are visable...and the tsav would certainly be the star of the show.

again, its very obvious you are doing your homework....and believe me when i say that it will definitely pay off.

another consideration re the e-ring, especially if you go a custom ring: what type of wedding band will look good with it and, and more importantly, be able to be worn with it. my e-ring is huge and chunky. i wear a very think 2mm 18k gold band with it....most people don''t even see it but i know it there.

mz, who is a she

I don''t think a stone gets overwhelmed in a diamond halo if the halo is done delicately, like some of the Leon halos are done, and Chrono has a delicate halo on her ring. JMO. I guess we can agree to disagree MZ (hey that rhymes!!).
2.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Zzbaron, you''ll soon find out that, like MZ, many people here are capable of giving objective and useful advice regarding jewellery, even if the design is not something we''d choose for ourselves. That''s because such folks understand that just about anything in jewellery can be done to look nice if done well, and that should be the primary objective of jewellery making IMO. As someone once wrote it well, it''s not about doing extraordinary, but properly doing the ordinary. I''m also not a fan of halos, but I admit that sometimes they can work, especially if custom made for a specific stone. And I''ll also (like many others here) gladly help out someone get the best result possible, even if it doesen''t really follow my personal taste and preferences (especially if the end result will be a nice and balanced combination of design and the inherent beauty of gemstones).

zzbaron

Rough_Rock
LaurenThePartier ... I use to have a 2 door GTI but eventually traded it in for a GLI because my girlfriend has two little girls and it was becoming a pain to get everyone out of the back seat. I wish I had an R32 like you though. I''m jealous.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results