shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zzbaron

Rough_Rock
I can''t believe I have had so many replies in one day. That is very cool and I appreciate that the community on here is so active.

A little extra background … my girlfriend really wanted a princess cut ring but the options of trying to find a halo bezel setting at a brick and mortar store was very difficult and we couldn’t find one that was just right. Then we thought we found the perfect ring even though it had a round diamond. I have known about the Legacy rings for years and had her look at these. It was the setting and the shape that she has been looking for all rolled into one. It seems like a match made in heaven.

At the very beginning of this process my girlfriend told me that she loves the setting of the Legacy, not necessarily that it is a Tiffany’s ring per se. I think that view has changed a little now for the usual reasons. If we had unlimited money I would buy her the Legacy with a diamond in the middle instead of an aquamarine but that is simply unrealistic at my price point unless I got her one that was .5 carat. As far as the diamond specs I was looking at was 1+ carat AGS 0, etc.

Buying a replica of the Legacy is not an option for me. I am not going to buy a replica especially now since my girlfriend has seen (in my opinion) the real deal. My personality will not allow that and it would kill me knowing so. It is what it is. Also, I still have questions regarding the hardiness of an aquamarine and buying a cheaper replica just means now I can easily afford to replace the stone when/if it gets damaged. Buying a replica with a diamond in the middle instead of the aquamarine would not be an option for the same reason listed a few sentences ago.

I understand the arguments regarding Tiffany’s markups and would not get a solitaire from them as it just isn’t unique (and proprietary) enough for me to justify the price compared to what I could buy at another establishment. But, in my opinion the final package of a Tiffany Legacy with the unique cut of the gem along with the setting justifies their price compared to breaking up each piece individually and packaging it all together with another vendor at a significantly lower price. I want to buy a unique ring within a certain budget and that’s it. I don’t need to cut the price in half for a down payment on a house and in reality could afford a more expensive ring if I wanted. The budget I made for the ring makes sense to me in my certain situation. I just want something that is as unique and beautiful as my soon to be wife.

Does anyone have any experience or know anyone who has had to replace a gem with Tiffany’s once the gem has been scratched, cracks appear, falls out or anything of the sort? Tiffany has two Legacy aquamarines available on their website. They are $7750 for a 1.77 carat and $6550 for a 1.17 carat. Using my super cool math skills I have figured out that Tiffany is charging $20 per .01 carat and the ring itself without the center stone is $4210. (177*20+4210=7750, 117*20+4210=6550) Does this mean that if I ever had to replace a damaged 1.17 aquamarine it would cost me $2340 (117*20) for a band new stone or would I get some type of a credit trading in a damaged aquamarine for a new one? Would I be charged extra on top of that amount for the labor involved with replacing the stone?

With that said, I am still open to looking at other rings. I have continued to look for rings that fit a very specific criteria but finding that at a place I can see firsthand has been very hard.

Thanks again for everyone’s help!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Since so many have posted already I''ll try to keep this short, so as not to confuse you (and her) even more:

- if she wants a Tiffany and wouldn''t be really happy with anything else then get her one
- aqua is not nearly as durable as a diamond, but it costs so much less that if you''d buy one yourself the difference in price would be amazing for about the same size; if there''s a stone cutter/polisher nearby she can just take the stone to have it repolished every few years and that''s about it; if she doesen''t mind replacing the stone once she feels like it got really worn down, she could replace a dozen (or more) of them for the price of a diamond
- although there are some very affordable settings nowdays available in the market, I wouldn''t recommend them for e-rings; very often such (overly) inexpensive settings are very difficult, if not impossible, to repair and repairs are quite a common occurrence with them since they''re often poorly made (stones can fall out etc.); I''m not saying they can''t be bought for some lovely "ocasional wear" rings, but for an e-ring I''d go with something longer lasting; if the two of you agree on such a setting, I''d suggest taking it to a jeweller you trust and ask if repairs can be done on the piece in case something happens and how would they rate the overall quality (also if they''d specify potential problems it might have)
- while prices at Tiffany''s and other high-end stores are very high (and I''d personally never shop there), we have to know that paying for patents, copyrights, trademarks, rents at exclusive locations, ads, sponsorships etc. all cost a lot of money, and that''s reflected in prices; if your B&M jeweller would sudenly have to pay such expenses, I guarantee you that his prices would skyrocket as well - that''s why all the world knows about Tiffany''s and people from maybe one block know about that B&M store.
- God, this wasn''t short - sorry
9.gif

centrc

Rough_Rock
zzbaron

When I upgraded my wife''s ring, they came back and said that there was a chip in the diamond (on the girdle). It was pretty noticeable and the person there even showed me where it was (I could feel it with my fingernail). They basically charged me something like a 100 bucks to polish out the ding. The sale manager also told me that if it was going to be a big deal (as in it would cost a lot for them to polish out the ding), they would work with me and make sure that I wasn''t charged the full amount of polishing it out.

You should find out if the aqua has an upgrade policy similar to the diamonds. Maybe you can upgrade that later to a diamond legacy if you want? As I said earlier, I originally bought my wife the round diamond from Tiffany and was later going to upgrade it for a legacy. She eventually changed her mind on that and when I upgraded it, she went for the larger stone.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
You''ll have to ask Tiffany for the answer to that one.

zzbaron

Rough_Rock
That''s good to know centrc. I will be giving them a call regarding their policy regarding the aquamarine. We have talked about upgrading to a diamond in 5-10 years if the aqua gets pretty trashed. It would be good to know if that is a viable option. Thanks again!

Nacre

Rough_Rock
hi zzbaron

First off, I love aquamarines. I wear mine every day. They are very durable and hard, not as hard as corrundum or diamond, but they are still fine to wear as an engagement ring if taken off at night etc.

The cut of the aqua and the setting can effect the wearing of the stone. A rectangular cut set in claws will be more vulnerable to knocks and girdle chipping etc then an oval bezel set, so that''s something to keep in mind.

In terms of Tiffany''s, much of their stock is generic. Most jewellers can source the chains, bracelets etc for you. They are exactly the same, just not with the all important stamp. There in lies the 200% mark up. I am not sure on the cast rings but it probably changes slightly with gold prices and dollar prices etc as they would have them made/order them in bulk.

Also, most of their staff are not Gemmologists or jewellers, so they have very limited factual knowledge and are encouraged to respond to you with marketing terms not used in the industry. This can be very confusing.

The rings apparently have a bad reputation in terms of repairs. It is very difficult to repair a badly made ring, and the smaller the diamonds and the more of them there are, the harder it is. Channel set rings are the worst. I refuse to clean my cousins ring for her because it is Tiffany''s and I don''t want to be responsible for it. I know jewellers who refuse to repair rings if they know it has a certain brand.

A handmade ring by an experienced jeweller of exactly the same design will have more guarantee and will probably be cheaper. You will also get to see the aqua unset and choose the grade of loose diamonds that you want.

BUT I love designer handbags, so I know the lure of the brand. If you are going to spend all that $$$ on the blue box, ask to see a few examples of the same ring to compare make and colour.

Ask the parcel grading of the small diamonds. Look at the claws with a loup to check they are all the same size and cover the corners of the stones. I would also have an independent valuation done on the ring and have the ring checked by a jeweller and their setter for your peace of mind.

Finally, the most important thing in buying a ring is for both of you to love it! So you go get whatever brand you like!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2010 12:26:59 PM
Author: zzbaron
I can''t believe I have had so many replies in one day. That is very cool and I appreciate that the community on here is so active.

A little extra background … my girlfriend really wanted a princess cut ring but the options of trying to find a halo bezel setting at a brick and mortar store was very difficult and we couldn’t find one that was just right. Then we thought we found the perfect ring even though it had a round diamond. I have known about the Legacy rings for years and had her look at these. It was the setting and the shape that she has been looking for all rolled into one. It seems like a match made in heaven.

At the very beginning of this process my girlfriend told me that she loves the setting of the Legacy, not necessarily that it is a Tiffany’s ring per se. I think that view has changed a little now for the usual reasons. If we had unlimited money I would buy her the Legacy with a diamond in the middle instead of an aquamarine but that is simply unrealistic at my price point unless I got her one that was .5 carat. As far as the diamond specs I was looking at was 1+ carat AGS 0, etc.

Buying a replica of the Legacy is not an option for me. I am not going to buy a replica especially now since my girlfriend has seen (in my opinion) the real deal. My personality will not allow that and it would kill me knowing so. It is what it is. Also, I still have questions regarding the hardiness of an aquamarine and buying a cheaper replica just means now I can easily afford to replace the stone when/if it gets damaged. Buying a replica with a diamond in the middle instead of the aquamarine would not be an option for the same reason listed a few sentences ago.

I understand the arguments regarding Tiffany’s markups and would not get a solitaire from them as it just isn’t unique (and proprietary) enough for me to justify the price compared to what I could buy at another establishment. But, in my opinion the final package of a Tiffany Legacy with the unique cut of the gem along with the setting justifies their price compared to breaking up each piece individually and packaging it all together with another vendor at a significantly lower price. I want to buy a unique ring within a certain budget and that’s it. I don’t need to cut the price in half for a down payment on a house and in reality could afford a more expensive ring if I wanted. The budget I made for the ring makes sense to me in my certain situation. I just want something that is as unique and beautiful as my soon to be wife.

Does anyone have any experience or know anyone who has had to replace a gem with Tiffany’s once the gem has been scratched, cracks appear, falls out or anything of the sort? Tiffany has two Legacy aquamarines available on their website. They are $7750 for a 1.77 carat and $6550 for a 1.17 carat. Using my super cool math skills I have figured out that Tiffany is charging $20 per .01 carat and the ring itself without the center stone is $4210. (177*20+4210=7750, 117*20+4210=6550) Does this mean that if I ever had to replace a damaged 1.17 aquamarine it would cost me $2340 (117*20) for a band new stone or would I get some type of a credit trading in a damaged aquamarine for a new one? Would I be charged extra on top of that amount for the labor involved with replacing the stone?

With that said, I am still open to looking at other rings. I have continued to look for rings that fit a very specific criteria but finding that at a place I can see firsthand has been very hard.

Not sure if you understand that a Tiffany Legacy is not a "unique ring". There must be over 100 Tiffany stores all around the world, and if each one sold some of these rings, that would mean there are hundreds if not thousands of them.

I could go to a custom goldsmith and truly have a unique ring hand fabricated in your price range, and you would have an absolute one of a kind. The finished piece may not come in a blue box, could be a green one.

A 1.17 ct Aquamarine should never cost you $2300. An absolutely stunning blue aqua that size, much deeper color wouldn''t cost you even $1000 retail.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
What about a smaller diamond Legacy ring? I think a half carat legacy is a very different than a 1/2 ct. solitaire because of the halo. Frankly a 1 ct legacy is a pretty large looking ring? I don''t think I''d go with the Tiffany aqua and I love Tiffany''s and have a Tiffany e-ring set, I just don''t know how their stones stand up to the better ones you can get and besides that its a softer stone. Would be such a shame to chip it then deal with replacing it.

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 7:21:27 PM
Author: winternight
What about a smaller diamond Legacy ring? I think a half carat legacy is a very different than a 1/2 ct. solitaire because of the halo. Frankly a 1 ct legacy is a pretty large looking ring? I don''t think I''d go with the Tiffany aqua and I love Tiffany''s and have a Tiffany e-ring set, I just don''t know how their stones stand up to the better ones you can get and besides that its a softer stone. Would be such a shame to chip it then deal with replacing it.
I think that zzbaron considered the Aqua because of the bigger size factor i.e. he has his mind set on quite a substantial sized ering which would not come into his budget if the centre stone was a diamond.

On another note, I recently purchased a loose blue zircon (for fun and as a collector) which had been taken out of its setting. The zircon is so scratched up and has lost it''s sparkle because of the scratches. I believe that zircons rate about the same hardness as aquas on the mohs scale, and based on what i''ve seen with this zircon, I don''t think I''d want to set anything that soft into an wear everyday ring.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock

Do you absolutely have to see the ring in person before commiting to buy it?

The reason I ask is that it will be very difficult to find something unique at a B&M store, unless your town has a boutique jewellers that designs and makes on the premise.

I came across this a while back (http://www.evamartin.com/node/65) saved the link cos I think its a wonderful story.

Can you imagine how special your fiancee would feel if you did something similar and got her a ring that was truly unique, that is meaningful for both you & her, and celebrates some unique aspect of your relationship.

Where do you guys live? Is there someone local(ish) that you might be able to consider doing something with?

zzbaron

Rough_Rock
Hi PrecisionGem, I apologize for not being clear by what I meant when I wrote that the Tiffany Legacy was unique. I meant that in reference to buying a replica of that ring at another jeweler. To me that design is unique to the Tiffany brand and buying that exact look at a different retailer would not be an option for me. Also, the thought of an aquamarine (with a different cut of course) with the same quality could be bought for around 1k instead of $2300 does bug me a little especially knowing it won’t hold up to the wear and tear of an ering.

Bleeblue was correct as the reason why I wouldn’t want to get the .5 diamond legacy. I was trying to maximize my size for my budget. I initially thought about buying an h&a 1 carat ags 0 at the most reputable b&m in my home town but it was going to cost me a fortune. The jeweler had quoted me around $1500 for the precision set setting and when he told me that his .5 carat ags 0 was $4500 I thought there is no way in the world I am going to be able to buy from this guy and of course no one else in this town sells precision set rings. That diamond was way overpriced at least from what I have seen online and when I purchased a round diamond back in 02.

I do have issues with buying from a jewelry store online as I envision getting swindled somehow. Did I really just get the diamond I ordered? Is the store going to close up shop and changed their names next week to something else? Granted, I think my AMEX would cover me from those issues if I know what was going on but there is bit of intimidation factor going on. I think a lot of people who are new at doing this feel the same way. I think that’s why bluenile has become popular for instance. At least we think it’s a big corporation and shouldn’t go under anytime soon.

However, I have tried to take some posters advice on here and I have looked around at other online retailers, etc. I think I can indeed get a 1 carat diamond and a setting under 8k if I do it online. But, now my girlfriend has fallen in love with the thought have having an ering with a blue colored stone. She thinks it’s very unique and all that stuff. Would a sapphire be hardy enough to wear everyday as an ering?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, a sapphire can be 24/7 wear as an e-ring.

get educated re sapphires: information is power. knowing what constitutes a fine sapphire will help you to make the decision as to what you are willing to sacrifice due to budget.....most of us do not have unlimited wealth and must make a sacrifice regarding quality in one way or another. additionally, there are sapphires that are a lighter blue more like the aqua you were originally considering. however, at $8K for stone and setting, your budget should allow for a much better than average sapphire. DO NOT SCRIMP ON THE STONE. the stone for an e-ring with a color stone should be the best you can afford. the color stone is still the star of an e-ring. yes, you will see sapphires in every price range....but there are real differences in the long run.

i applaud her for wanting a color stone e-ring!

mz

centrc

Rough_Rock
zzbaron - The good thing about most reputable online retailers is that they have a good return policy.

Like I said before, I was in a similar situation to you. I ended up convincing my wife that she would want a bigger stone that the legacy setting, and then later, I brought her a "right hand ring" that had the "legacy sty;e setting". She was VERY happy with this arrangement. The good thing about that also is that she picked her own color gemstone. You can see pictures if you search my name on PS.

As for your B&M experience, my sister's fiance purchased his engagement ring on James Allen. His budget was less than yours and he got an AGS 000 ideal (over 1 carat) in platinum. They are a very reputable store. You can also return the ring if the diamond isn't what you thought it would be.

This:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-rings/ring/item_57-3767_design.asp?module=setting - Platinum 6 prong setting, 1100

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1193879.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131 - 6900 (price scope discount) [H&A AGS Ideal, VS1, H, 1.11 Carat) (I think this one is a better performer) OR
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1193896.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131 6230 (price scope discount) (H&A AGS Ideal, VS1, I, 1.17 Carat)

Return Policy: http://www.jamesallen.com/FAQ/#9

Is in your price range.

So you do have some options. The goods come in a beautiful presentation box complete with the AGS certification (Which is pretty substantial IMO). If you want a Tiffany ring, you can get around a CT as well, but you will probably need to bump down to SI1/I. I looked at a few of those when I bought my wife hers and they were all eye clean. Use https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp to eliminate any bad diamonds from Tiffany, they aren't all top performers. I actually sat on the phone with the guy and made him read me all the angels/etc to find the ones that I wanted to see when I came into the store. They are very patient. I think I went through their entire NYC inventory for the size range I was looking for.

GL

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your fiance insists on a Tiffany aqua e-ring, and you can't talk her out of it, she will chip it eventually if she wears it every day. So, unless you get her the sapphire from them, which is much MUCH more expensive, I think you're stuck with getting it. I would contact Tiffany about their warranty on the stone. Did you also check "signedpieces.com." They sometimes resell second hand Legacies for less.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 10:09:35 PM
Also, the thought of an aquamarine (with a different cut of course) with the same quality could be bought for around 1k instead of $2300 does bug me a little especially knowing it won’t hold up to the wear and tear of an ering.
Just to chime in, the Tiffany Legacy Aqua's are generally no where near the same quality as a precision cut, great quality aqua of the same size, that could cost around 1K-in general, you really are not getting a top quality stone just because it is a Legacy cut from Tiffany.

I also would recommend a blue sapphire or spinel over an aqua for daily wear :)

Good luck with the search!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you can''t decide between a blue and a diamond, how about a diamond with fluorescence? It will most of the time look like any other white diamond, but in direct sunlight (and possibly some other light sources) it''ll have a blue glow. Fluorescence isn''t common in diamonds and this effect is something people either love or hate, so you''d have to see it in person to see one (and bring her along if possible). Fluorescence also often reduces the price, but that''s not written in stone. Read up some articles about it, google something out and research about this as a possibility. It may be exactly what you''re looking for.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2010 12:28:15 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
I'm a guy, so none of this makes any sense to me, but I would think a similar looking ring, and then use the savings toward a down payment on a house would be much more logical, than paying over $6000 for for a $100 stone.
I'm a girl and I feel the same way!

But I would not do aqua for an e-ring as it's just too soft. I would go for the diamond, or a sapphire or spinel.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 8:39:56 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
If your fiance insists on a Tiffany aqua e-ring, and you can''t talk her out of it, she will chip it eventually if she wears it every day. So, unless you get her the sapphire from them, which is much MUCH more expensive, I think you''re stuck with getting it. I would contact Tiffany about their warranty on the stone. Did you also check ''signedpieces.com.'' They sometimes resell second hand Legacies for less.
I actually got my Tiffany solitaire from signedpieces, but since they''ve been sold I think they are more expensive and I haven''t really seen that much of a selection of second hand rings. Personally I"m thrilled we went that route and I had no problems, plus I had the ring appraised at Tiffany''s.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ZZbaron, I think you misunderstood me. The Tiffany Aquamarine in not even close to what you could buy for $1000 in the same size. Based on the color of the stone in the pictures on their website, a stone of that size and color could be purchased for $75 to $200. A $1000 stone that size would be absolutely killer color, much darker, and a hard stone to find. Whenever you deal in mass quantities, as this ring and stone are, you must also use mediocrity, as the top quality is not available in mass quantities. Yet you are paying more than top quality price. That would bug me.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock

It is impossible to determine how much of the cost is allocated to the stone and how much to the setting. Per-carat prices aren''t exactly linear--a larger stone will demand a higher per-carat price--and the setting for the larger stone requires more material. Not only that, but the bigger point is that Tiffany pretty much charges what it can get away with charging. Only you can decide, though, if the branding is worth the markup.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
zzbaron,

I am a very straight-talking person, so here goes.

I would really listen to the pro-consumers on this board. You are about to waste your money and buy inferior goods, for the sake of a not-very-exclusive-anymore brand.

Gene is entirely right, I would be appalled to learn of what you paid for such an aqua. Every experienced gemstone buyer on this board will tell you the same.

Ulitmately, it''s your money but the consensus on this board seems very stacked against you buying an aqua legacy for an e-ring.

If you want colour, my choice would be sapphire or spinel. That''s my 2 cents.

good luck whatever you decide!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and re fears of buying online:

my spess is from richard wise [rwwise.com]. i have never been in his store/shop on the east coast as i''m in california. i have never met the man. i have had numerous conversations with him on the phone though [he''s delightful to talk with!]. we bought my spess from him due to 1-quality of stone and 2-his knowledge and 3-his reputation and 4-his return policy.

then i found a jeweler i could collaborate with re the design. this was a face-to-face interaction.

then the stone was sent to hawaii where the ring was made and the stone set. i have never met this artisan.

the ring was then sent to the jeweler.

we then went and picked it up.

my point is that if you do your education, get information about stones and vendors, develop a relationship with a vendor, i believe you have nothing to fear.

again, with your budget, you should be able to get a killer sapphire.

mz

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2010 10:03:38 AM
Author: rosetta
zzbaron,

I am a very straight-talking person, so here goes.

I would really listen to the pro-consumers on this board. You are about to waste your money and buy inferior goods, for the sake of a not-very-exclusive-anymore brand.

Gene is entirely right, I would be appalled to learn of what you paid for such an aqua. Every experienced gemstone buyer on this board will tell you the same.

Ulitmately, it''s your money but the consensus on this board seems very stacked against you buying an aqua legacy for an e-ring.

If you want colour, my choice would be sapphire or spinel. That''s my 2 cents.

good luck whatever you decide!
That''s a huge ditto from me.

I wouldn''t want to pay big bucks for what is, in all probability, an inferior Aqua. Unfortunately the Aqua''s at Tiffany''s are (a) hugely expensive and (b) not the quality/colour/cut/clarity that they should be for that sort of money.

Having said that, I would say the same for their diamonds, sapphires, rubies etc etc. I''d rather get a top quality gemstone and a custom design unique setting and potentially a little bit of change but then I''m not a label junkie just a gemstone junkie!
9.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''ve had the pleasure of seeing Movie Zombies ring in person. The pictures don''t do it justice. It''s a spectacular piece all around (stone & setting), and truly a unique one of kind. I would think the whole experience of creating the ring, was very special too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2010 8:41:01 AM
Author: stepcutnut

Just to chime in, the Tiffany Legacy Aqua''s are generally no where near the same quality as a precision cut, great quality aqua of the same size, that could cost around 1K-in general, you really are not getting a top quality stone just because it is a Legacy cut from Tiffany.

I also would recommend a blue sapphire or spinel over an aqua for daily wear :)

Good luck with the search!
Don''t forget, but the Tiffany stone is probably heat treated as well, but I doubt anyone at Tiffany will admit or know that for sure.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2010 12:29:59 PM
Author: ma re
Since so many have posted already I''ll try to keep this short, so as not to confuse you (and her) even more:

- if she wants a Tiffany and wouldn''t be really happy with anything else then get her one
- aqua is not nearly as durable as a diamond, but it costs so much less that if you''d buy one yourself the difference in price would be amazing for about the same size; if there''s a stone cutter/polisher nearby she can just take the stone to have it repolished every few years and that''s about it; if she doesen''t mind replacing the stone once she feels like it got really worn down, she could replace a dozen (or more) of them for the price of a diamond
- although there are some very affordable settings nowdays available in the market, I wouldn''t recommend them for e-rings; very often such (overly) inexpensive settings are very difficult, if not impossible, to repair and repairs are quite a common occurrence with them since they''re often poorly made (stones can fall out etc.); I''m not saying they can''t be bought for some lovely ''ocasional wear'' rings, but for an e-ring I''d go with something longer lasting; if the two of you agree on such a setting, I''d suggest taking it to a jeweller you trust and ask if repairs can be done on the piece in case something happens and how would they rate the overall quality (also if they''d specify potential problems it might have)
- while prices at Tiffany''s and other high-end stores are very high (and I''d personally never shop there), we have to know that paying for patents, copyrights, trademarks, rents at exclusive locations, ads, sponsorships etc. all cost a lot of money, and that''s reflected in prices; if your B&M jeweller would sudenly have to pay such expenses, I guarantee you that his prices would skyrocket as well - that''s why all the world knows about Tiffany''s and people from maybe one block know about that B&M store.
- God, this wasn''t short - sorry
9.gif
Sorry, all these are serious issues, just wanted to laugh a little bit.

Before you buy her a Tiffany ring, put Agassi''s memoirs somewhere where she may see it. You see, Agassi bought a Tiffany rose-cut e-ring for Brooke Shields (that is what she wanted). With Steffi Graff, they exchanged rings made by themselves out of raffia (true!). Seems that raffia is still holding...I think it is what you put your heart and time in is most durable.

When I was looking for my demantoid, Tiffany offered me a 0.7-ct demantoid set in gold for $ 7000+. They said they never accepted any treatment on their stones, but the saleslady did not even seem to know that demantoids could be heat-treated. Like another person said, "you want Tiffany, you pay Tiffany''s prices..."

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
As someone who just went through this (getting a ring for my fiance) I just want to +1 the idea of looking a sapphires over aquamarine. It sounds like you''re looking at aquamarine because of the color? Sapphires come in a huge range of colors. You''d likely be able to find what you''re looking for.

I too would be scared to buy from a site that doesn''t clearly state that whether the stones are treated or not. I can only assume that the ring that was linked to previously:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=24168476&mcat=148210&cid=288199&search_params=s+5-p+2-c+288199-r+101323351-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

contains a treated stone since you would think that if it were untreated it would be stated in big bold letters that it was untreated since this would be a major selling point to anyone in the know.

With a little looking, you can find your fiance something original, unique, and that''s actually rare (treated gems really aren''t).

I bought a sapphire for my fiance and we both couldn''t be happier with it, it''s so much more interesting than a diamond.

Good luck and congrats on your engagement!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW 7k for a demantoid in gold? 800$ for the .7ct demantoid....that leaves $6200 for a setting.
Holybejebus.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
gene raises another important issue: the experience of creating your own piece. its very different than buying a setting and then having a stone inserted into it....nothing wrong with doing this but it is a different experience.

one negative is that unless you''re both in on the process, you run the chance of it not being to her liking. however, some might say it takes some of the romance out of the proposal. personally, i''d take the experience of creating an expression of our commitment to spending the rest of our lives together over the surprise element. and at this point she''s already being included in the process so why not invite her to learn more and think outside of the box? she is already doing so if she wants a color stone for an e-ring.......

i think i said this before but i''ll say it again: personally, i''d be looking at montana sapphires instead of aqua.......

mz

ps thank you for the kind words, gene!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little off-topic, but I am really grateful to Pricescope for threads such as these. I was lurking on another forum in which most of the people only cared about heavily branded objects. Someone asked if they should buy a Tiffany ring, or shop around to get a better value, and everyone said it would be too difficult to find the parts to match the quality of the Tiffany ring, so they should buy the Tiffany ring. My mouth went agape.
6.gif

I am shocked and dismayed, especially in this economy, how uneducated people can be when shopping for high priced objects such as gems and jewels.
38.gif

ZZ, consider yourself really lucky that you came to Pricescope for advice.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results