shape
carat
color
clarity

Aqua Pendant Project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcgunesq

Shiny_Rock
I went in to view a few aquas ordered in as part of a project to remake an inherited pt wedding band into a pendant. Of the 6 or so that were called in 3 were potential candidates and two stood out. Both are pears.

Aqua 1: .81 ct, very nice, approaching deep color. $400/ct. Nice faceting, no window. Good brilliance.
Aqua 2: ~2.5 ct, nice color, more pale than deep, but still much nicer than most aquas. $250/ct or so. VERY nice checkerboard faceting, no window, very nice brilliance.

I think #1 is slightly lost within the ring and #2 will slightly dominate the ring. I''ve seen both in person, but won''t have photos until tomorrow if all goes well. I will post them when I get them.

As a general matter, would aqua fans rather have a superior color with good cutting, less brilliance and 1/3 the size or 3 times the size, good color, more brilliance with very nice cutting?

Although I appreciate the "fineness" of the deeper color, I think I''m leaning towards the larger stone as its size really allows one to appreciate the faceting and cut. Its also a more delicate color.

The third choice was between the two in color and size, perhaps closer to the darker , .81ct colorwise, but had a small window.

I realize the answer is probably "whichever I like better" or possibly "its hard to say without photos". But I thought some might have some general thoughts or considerations that don''t depend upon photos.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
To me, colored stones are all about the color. But, will the 0.81 be big enough for your project?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't sound like you're completely happy with any of the options. Is there any reason you *have* to pick one of those three or can you send them all back and tell your jeweler what each was lacking so he can get in some better ones?

kcgunesq

Shiny_Rock
I think the 81pt is on the small side, but I think it could make for a very delicate peice. LIkewise, I think the 2.5ct is on the big side, but could be make a nice piece as well.

Actually, I really like the 2.5ct stone. I''m mostly looking for reassurance that I wouldn''t be making a mistake to pick it over the better color. And I would like to have it done by our aniversiary, but its not necessary.

I was supposed to get the photos today, but he didn''t mail until today. I should get them tomorrow.

kcgunesq

Shiny_Rock
We received the photos and they stink. Shot on a greenish background, its impossible to get a sense of what they look like. But at least we were able to eliminate the smaller one (i think), based upon size. My wife liked how the larger stone filled more of the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results