shape
carat
color
clarity

Aqua or topaz and price of replacing a gem?

slyngborg

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am a total gem noob and are looking for a ring for my girlfriend to give as a birthday gift. I have my eyes on these two:

http://www.bruun-rasmussen.dk/search.do?pg=7&iid=300810946&cid=498&mode=detail

https://online.auktionsverket.se/1601/354932-ring-18-k-guld-/

Can anyone tell if the gem from the first ring truely is a topaz as described in the lot describtion? And how much would you say it is worth if it is a aquamarin instead?

The second one I would replace the gem with a light blue, green or black gem. But I geuss that is expensive to buy a big gem that will fit the setting? and where could I buy a loose gem from a trustworthy dealer online?

Thanks for the help :)

Kind regards
Morten

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
At the top of this forum is a pinned thread titled List of Vendors for Reference. Scroll down to the bottom of the thread for the latest list. They are great places to buy colored stones online.

The two rings you posted are great examples of what NOT to buy. The experts here can help you come up with something much better than those.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Just to expand on the previous comment, the stone in the first ring has a huge window. If you are not familiar with windows, there is a description in the stickied thread call "New to coloured gemstone buying? Read this first". The second stone has a bunch of inclusions that make it look unattractive, like it is permanently dirty with little bits of sand inside.

That said, I like the simple gold settings for both stones.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think both stones are unattractive in my opinion. The window in the blue stone and the inclusions in the other make these stones not pretty-espcially since they are so big. I would not try to fit a stone in a setting you have never seen before-there may be issues and you may spend more money trying to customize. Unless it is a setting you already own or has sentimental value, pick the stone first, then the setting.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oof. That first blue topaz/aqua (aqua is generally more expensive then blue topaz) is the worst stone I have ever seen in my life!!! And I've seen a few.

It is really really low quality.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you let us know what type of stone/setting you want and what your budget is I think we could help you find something much more attractive for your money :) We are happy to help! :wavey:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As many have said, the quality is lacking on both stones. How much time do you have and whats your budget? Topaz is relatively inexpensive and IMO you can get a really nicely cut one from a lot of vendors on the list. Ditto with aqua though its generally more expensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results