carat
color
clarity

Aqua Love

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
klewis said:
If the rough has been heated, do you have any indication of this by the state of the rough? So does the appearance of the rough change in any tell-tale way after heating?

Most stones are heated after cutting, since it can be hard to tell if a rough stone has inclusions which would prohibit cutting. Other than that the only change in the stone is in it's color. If the stone has inclusions it becomes much easier to tell since it can change from facet grade material to cab grade. The attached picture is a good example. It's a pale green beryl crystal that, I think, someone heated in an attempt to turn it to blue. Nice try, but this was a no-go. :roll:

Large aqua - think again.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I like the colour of your 8 carat aqua TL.

Incidentally I asked John Dyer about the origin of the large Aquamarine - its from Madagascar, and almost loupe clean.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie said:
the ideal color for aqua changes with the times and even whether in EU or the US. i've read recently that europeans now prefer a greener blue aqua. in the US the desired aqua remains blue Blue BLUE. what is popular today may not be the desired color years from now.

MoZo

I asked John Dyer about his aquas and heating - he told me they don't heat many of them to keep the green as it better distinguishes them from topaz.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see his lagoon beryl? I know, the name is awful (makes me think of swamp monsters), but it's really much more saturated than aqua. I prefer that.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Did you see his lagoon beryl? I know, the name is awful (makes me think of swamp monsters), but it's really much more saturated than aqua. I prefer that.

I'd love to get my hands on some Lagoon Beryl ( the gem) but like you I dislike the name - it sounds like a hooker down at the lagoon.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
[quote="klewis] I'd love to get my hands on some Lagoon Beryl ( the gem) but like you I dislike the name - it sounds like a hooker down at the lagoon.[/quote]

now that is genuinely funny!

MoZo

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Michael_E said:
klewis said:
If the rough has been heated, do you have any indication of this by the state of the rough? So does the appearance of the rough change in any tell-tale way after heating?

Most stones are heated after cutting, since it can be hard to tell if a rough stone has inclusions which would prohibit cutting. Other than that the only change in the stone is in it's color. If the stone has inclusions it becomes much easier to tell since it can change from facet grade material to cab grade. The attached picture is a good example. It's a pale green beryl crystal that, I think, someone heated in an attempt to turn it to blue. Nice try, but this was a no-go. :roll:

Nope, heating it didn't work there.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here I am again trying to disuade you, but I think the tourmaline in your avatar knocks the socks off any aqua.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Here I am again trying to disuade you, but I think the tourmaline in your avatar knocks the socks off any aqua.
Well I wouldn't be dissuaded from buying an Aqua one day, but thanks for the compliment on my tourmaline. :) I will have it set it one day.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous color and stone.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
This is a brooch belonging to HM, the Queen given to her as a state gift by Brazil when she visited there. This is pretty much ideal color for aqua. She has a bracelet, ring, earings, huge necklace, and tiara to go with this.

And here's one of Diana, Princess of Wales wearing aquamarine earrings. To my eye, a unique and beautiful stone. I love them.

[URL='----']----[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results