shape
carat
color
clarity

appraising grandma's ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My mother gave me her mother's engagement ring as an engagement present. It's a deco ring with a geometric arrangement of 30 sidestones, varying in size from teeny-tiny to small, with a larger stone in the middle.

My grandfather gave my grandmother the ring in 1929, just weeks before the stock market crashed. Whenever I look at the ring, I remember him and my wonderful grandmother, a woman with a great heart and exquisite taste.

But does the ring's age and beautiful deco setting add to its monetary, not just sentimental, value? Will an appraiser need to take the stone out to appraise it? Would this damage the ring? Are there appraisers who are better than others for old jewelry? If so, how do I find them? I'm in New York City. And is there any other advice anyone can give me about getting this ring appraised?

Thank you!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

The best person to ask about this is David Atlas, www.gemappraisers.com. He posts here as "oldminer" and may post a reply to you, but you could call him and get his advice now. He would be a great person to appraise this piece for you and advise you. He is in Philadelphia. You could send or take the ring there. He will likely recommend a competent appraiser for you in New York.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
THREE Very GOOD APPRAISERS IN NYC

Rober Aretz 212 333-3122
Theodore Baer 212 245 6330
David Wolf 973 822 2222

All have different offices in 608 Fifth Ave.

They will not require the diamond to be removed. Be sure that they check the security of the stone before you wear it a lot.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, folks. You're the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results