shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraiser in Ottawa, Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

grandpa witty

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I''m a new member but have been visiting this website a lot recently.
I''m considering to purchase a diamond ring online, but would like to have it appraised as soon as I receive it.
Can anyone recommend an appraiser in Ottawa, ON area?
There are some but not independent, and I found one independent appraiser called Jewelry Judge.
They have an appraisal centre in Ottawa, which is "Wright Gemmological Labs".
See: http://www.jewelryjudge.net/wright.htm
Does anybody have any experience with this lab?

PS: Is it better to have the diamond loose or mount on a setting for appraisal?

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

SG

Rough_Rock
I'm in Ottawa as well. I checked out this guy's site, looks legit. I'm a little leery of his experience coming from Magpie, aren't they costume jewellery? I'm planning on buying online from Blue Nile, getting an appraisal from Alyea, and having the stone set at Howard's...spread the wealth ;-) Alyea has a good reputation. There's also an appraiser at Hampton Park called Conger's Jewellers, don't know them but their site looks professional.

Good luck!

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/21/2004 1:31:44 PM grandpa witty wrote:

PS: Is it better to have the diamond loose or mount on a setting for appraisal?

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.----------------

Loose baby
Can't weigh the stone or perform some measurements if set. However, if you just want a basic valuation and confirmation it matches the cert, mounted will work (that's what i did)

grandpa witty

Rough_Rock
Isn't Alyea a jewelry store?
I'm kind of wary to have a biased appraisal from an appraiser who owns a jewelry store.
I've never been to Howard, do they have many options?

grandpa witty

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/21/2004 11:29:51 PM Ricardo07 wrote: <hr size="1" width="100%"

Loose baby
Can't weigh the stone or perform some measurements if set. However, if you just want a basic valuation and confirmation it matches the cert, mounted will work (that's what i did)----------------

I was thinking to have the diamond together with the setting from WF because the setting is still a lot less costly than if I get it here.
Well, thanks for the advise.

SG

Rough_Rock
Alyea is a jewellery store, but I think that if you let them know you are only there for an appraisal and have no intention of buying a diamond from them, you should get an unbiased assessment.

Howard's seems to be similar to other top-end jewellery stores. I've checked out Davidson's in the Glebe, they were good too. Trying to avoid the shopping malls. Basically anyone can get you any setting you want, just bring them the diamond and they'll set it for you. Friends have bought from Howard's and everyone seems happy.

SG

Todd07

Shiny_Rock

----------------
On 9/22/2004 1:07:14 PM grandpa witty wrote:

----------------
On 9/21/2004 11:29:51 PM Ricardo07 wrote:

I was thinking to have the diamond together with the setting from WF because the setting is still a lot less costly than if I get it here.
Well, thanks for the advise.
----------------
WF is where I bought. My appraisal (w/ setting) was simply to confirm it matched the cert and give me peace of mind. You should be OK getting the ring made by WF and appraised as a package. If the stone was not already in-house, just have WF look it over and take an IS picture, etc before they set it. They'll tell you if it's a bad buy and recommend another

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results