shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal: To Set or Not to Set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Midway

Rough_Rock
So, I am now considering the question of getting my stone appraised. One question that has come up is should I have it appraised before or after setting the stone or both.

I want an appraisal for peace of mind, i.e. independently verify that the stone I''m getting is the one reflected in the report. And also, to get an opinion on how accurately it was graded by GIA.

Also, I need an appraisal of the ring for insurance purposes.

I''m using a custom jeweler to put together my ring and he says he works with an independent appraiser and he offered her services for convenience. Her fees seem in line with what I''ve seen reported on the forum (maybe a little less than average). My question is, should I be concerned that the appraisal will not be "indepedent" since the jeweler and the appraiser obviously work with each other a lot.

Finally, how much can an appraiser analyze the stone once it''s set? Will that affect their ability to be able to tell me whether it''s a true H&A, or whether the dimensions are correctly reflected on the report?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 12:43:17 PM
Author:Midway
So, I am now considering the question of getting my stone appraised. One question that has come up is should I have it appraised before or after setting the stone or both. Given below, before setting.

I want an appraisal for peace of mind, i.e. independently verify that the stone I''m getting is the one reflected in the report. And also, to get an opinion on how accurately it was graded by GIA. - this is the critical comment

Also, I need an appraisal of the ring for insurance purposes.

I''m using a custom jeweler to put together my ring and he says he works with an independent appraiser and he offered her services for convenience. Her fees seem in line with what I''ve seen reported on the forum (maybe a little less than average). My question is, should I be concerned that the appraisal will not be ''indepedent'' since the jeweler and the appraiser obviously work with each other a lot. yes

Finally, how much can an appraiser analyze the stone once it''s set? Will that affect their ability to be able to tell me whether it''s a true H&A, or whether the dimensions are correctly reflected on the report? this is impossible set. And further, the other level of detail sounds like your seeking sets your parameters. See above under "Resources", then "Appraisers" for local appraisers in your area. If you find them on your own, and your vendor happens to know them...well, find that out after your appraisal is done.
See above in context...

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Similar questions appear often on this forum and are of interest to many diamond consumers.
It depends on what information you are trying to obtain. Make a list of your questions to ask the appraiser.
A much more comprehensive evaluation can be done on a loose diamond.
The appraiser usually chooses to perform their own evaluation "before" looking at your lab report.
However, it is in your best interest to have the appraiser review the lab report to make certain that the report matches the diamond. It''s rare but once in a while the wrong report might accompany the diamond. If you want peace of mind, a qualified appraiser should be able to provide that at a reasonable price. It''s not totally uncommon that a jeweler/designer would recommend a local appraiser. It doesn''t mean that they are "working together."

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Midway

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick responses! I trust my jeweler and I agree with Modified that I have nothing to suspect they are "working together." I thought it was worth asking, though, whether it was a common practice for a jeweler to recommend a preferred appraiser. My time constraints make the decision more difficult, otherwise I would just have the stone sent out and verified here locally.

I live in Chicago btw, and I''ve only seen one appraiser listed for this area on the PS appraiser locator. Can anyone recommend an appraiser in the Chicago area? The only one listed is Richard Drucker of Gem World, anyone have any experience with him?

My other option is to have an appraiser in the northern VA, DC area appraise the stone. That way, the transportation time would be lessened, since that''s where the jeweler is located. Can someone recommend an appraiser in that area as well?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 1:06:44 PM
Author: Midway
Thanks for the quick responses! I trust my jeweler and I agree with Modified that I have nothing to suspect they are ''working together.'' I thought it was worth asking, though, whether it was a common practice for a jeweler to recommend a preferred appraiser. My time constraints make the decision more difficult, otherwise I would just have the stone sent out and verified here locally.

I live in Chicago btw, and I''ve only seen one appraiser listed for this area on the PS appraiser locator. Can anyone recommend an appraiser in the Chicago area? The only one listed is Richard Drucker of Gem World, anyone have any experience with him?

My other option is to have an appraiser in the northern VA, DC area appraise the stone. That way, the transportation time would be lessened, since that''s where the jeweler is located. Can someone recommend an appraiser in that area as well?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

You might find this thread helpful. I live in the DC area, but unfortunately, am not comfortable recommending anyone in this area.

H&A is an issue. If you like that about the diamond...although PGS in Chicago claims to grade that feature, I''ve seen examples where they''ve let through diamonds not well representing this feature.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results