shape
carat
color
clarity

appraisal question (procedure)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
since the best way to look at a diamond is before it is set, if i wanted independant appraisals for purchase verification and insurance replacement would i need to get the appraisal done twice.. once with the loose stone and then again for the entire ring once it is set? seems to me like that be the case.

so the procedure would be this:
buy stone
send to appraiser
appraiser verfies stone
stone goes back to vendor
stone is set in ring
ring goes back to appraiser
appraiser checks setting
i get the ring
she gets the ring
happily ever after

that seem about right?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Avlis,

For some perspective, do see this.

From a certain point of view, once you learn enough about a thing to ask some good questions, the answers become trivial. In particular, although an appraiser will provide value, what you want to find is sufficient incremental value for any particular effort. For example, in the thread noted above, Neil raises an important item #18. Getting an appraiser to partner with you in asking even that one question intelligently may be worth the money for an appraisal, regardless of the vendor. However, the vendor of choice can inform much.

I see from your previous post you''re shopping at GOG. Though many here have come around to indicating that with PS vendors, you''re probably good to go with an appraisal after your purchase, after it the diamond is attached to a ring...possibly with GOG uniquely you''re good to go after as well. His appraisal documentation would probably not be matched by another appraiser (known to man). And, his valuation seems to be consistent with what a "standard" appraiser would give. Garry has parenthetically offered that if you trust a vendor, you might not need an appraiser. Indeed, you might not. Being particularly cautious, you could see one twice, but usually, they''ll roll the cost for both in relation to each other, so that perhaps your more significant expense (if you do see them twice) would be first, and then a more incidental charge later.

Andrew Tobias used to be cynical about the need for a stock broker (based on the availability of mutual funds), but parenthetically add that you might want to have such a relationship, just as a matter of course. A common idea expressed here is that buying an e-ring is a unique event, worth some unique and one time protections on the part of the buyer. Depending on where you live, and the vendor you use...your decision about this can take different courses, I''m sure.

Regards,

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agree with above. If you have done your homework (and by your previous post w/selections it seems you have) and know what you're looking at, and have all the info you need, I don't really see a need for a preliminary appraisal. I bought my stone and setting from GOG. I had it set and sent to me, I knew what I was getting. However, on the bizzare chance it was not what I expected, I simply would have returned within the 30 day window. Of course there was no need, but I did then take it to an independant appraisor, really only for prudence sake. Mistakes happen every once in awhile, so I just got a basic confirmation it was indeed the stone I purchased.

As stated above, GOG gives an evaluation that leaves nothing to the imagination, and that is what you want to give the insurance company.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We always include the second look, after setting at no further charge. Many times people don''t want to go to the expense and time of shipping back a second time, so if we know the vendor does a good job we will complete an appraisal based on a description and finished item photo from the vendor. We only do this if the client knows it is probably not the best way to proceed and if we feel comfortable with the vendor''s description.

It is best to really see the finished product.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Like David, I''d prefer a look at the finished item as well.

I''ve developed a comprehensive description form for the selling jeweler to fill out and attach the finished photos to.

However, if the vendor is selling the mounting,and ship both, I arrange to have it set, which generally costs less than shipping back to the seller, and then back again to be checked.

I do not charge for the second look, or writing a valuation report for the stated value type insurance coverage or doing the photos for it.

For a replacement type insurance policy, where every detail is important to note, I do charge extra for those, as they take a while to do, but they are very comprehensive and about 30 pages.

Rockdoc

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I charge for the second look, but then I''m half the price for the first look so I guess it all works out about the same in the end.
I won''t sign off on a report where I haven''t personally seen the item being described.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I feel that it''s very important to take a second look after a diamond has been set. Lately, I have seen
a slight increase in substandard workmanship. After spending thousands of dollars for a diamond, you should
expect the prongs to be perfect and the casting to be cleaned and polished to the max.
It''s best for the consumer to alert the seller ASAP so that proper adjustments can be made.
Appraisal clients are pleased (although disappointed) when substandard workmanship is pointed out to them. Most would never see what
an experienced appraiser might see. We are the independent "eyes" of the entire transaction.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

avlis

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the replies,

I would venture to say I will probably be OK with having the ring looked at after it is set then, but I may still do both, because I am just like that.
Thanks

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 2:37:17 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
I feel that it''s very important to take a second look after a diamond has been set. Lately, I have seen
a slight increase in substandard workmanship. After spending thousands of dollars for a diamond, you should
expect the prongs to be perfect and the casting to be cleaned and polished to the max.
It''s best for the consumer to alert the seller ASAP so that proper adjustments can be made.
Appraisal clients are pleased (although disappointed) when substandard workmanship is pointed out to them. Most would never see what
an experienced appraiser might see. We are the independent ''eyes'' of the entire transaction.

I like the way you think and could not agree more.

wpeng1974

Rough_Rock
I called a reputable appraiser for the exact same question. The answer I got was the following:
1. My appraiser will receive the loose stone and evaluate it. I will go to his store and see the stone in person.
2. Then the stone is shipped by the appraiser to Custom designer for a setting.
3. When the ring is done, it will be shipped back to my appraiser for the final check and maybe a final value for insurance purpose.I pick up from their store.
For your reference, the total quote I got was $225.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi wpeng and welcome to PS
35.gif

Will you be sitting in on the session with your appraiser if local?

It''s a great opportunity to learn and ask questions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results