shape
carat
color
clarity

Apparently they don't like us....

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Envious of you, mrs-b, to see these lovelies in person! I’m sure as usual, you have something impeccable planned!

Haven’t heard this vendor mentioned on this board for quite a while.
And usually was mentioned in a positive manner.
Now I got to go search.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For anyone interested, I think the 3.47 blue sapphire and the 2.77ct green/blue are my favorites. I'd love a ruby most of all, but I just don't have the budget to get the size I'd like. There are 2 others in which I'm interested, but I'd rather not share those at this point. And I'm sure a lot of people know who this vendor is, but I'd rather not throw his name up at this point - thanks.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Intrigued by the green/blue - not a usual sapphire colour, although some very beautiful ones are the opposite of violetish in a way difficult to name.

Thinking out loud

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 what is "BE" ?
Darn, I went to edit my post and deleted it!
BE is Beryllium Treatment, often done alongside heat treatment to improve colour. Requires a specific type of testing ie not something you can detect with ordinary gem equipment.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, gorgeousness. I can't wait to follow your project!

It would probably leave a bad taste in my mouth with the vendor- which is too bad. I get that we are probably sometimes a PITA, but are so undereducated consumers. It's worth hearing what his rationale is... he probably could have been kinder about it?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember a few instances of vendors not liking this forum. While a place like PS can make a business (lots of recommendations and purchases) it can also destroy one (badmouthing, excessive returns, etc). There was mention of a specific vendor who had a bunch of PSers purchase his/her stones. Someone said something negative and then, all at once, everyone returned them...during the same time frame. Yes, it’s allowed (for good reason) but it took a lot for said vendor to be able to reimburse the money, which can understandably sour their opinion of the forum. Outside of places like PS, people don’t often return gems. They see it, they like it, and they keep it. PS has a way of creating some seriously high expectations. Through the forums, we become more educated and with a better understanding of how much some things cost and what we should look for in quality. So we buy and return a lot...a lot more than a non PSer would. Also, I find that PS sometimes has a mob mentality (please don’t come at me for this). All it takes is one person to diss something and then everybody else joins in. So, while I absolutely love PS, I understand how sometimes it can be seen less than favorably by a vendor / jeweler.

Having said that, I wouldn’t want a vendor to tell me that they dislike a forum I hang out on excessively...it’s just plain rude (btw, this has actually happened to me too). It’s just not a great way to create a good customer relationship. :P2 I hope you keep the appointment @mrs-b because those sapphires (and rubies) looked absolutely gorgeous!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I take it the vendor is attg (all that glitters). In which case the feedback on them on this forum is not really collectively positive, and it is little surprise they aren't overly chuffed with pricescope (from memory pricescope is not overly chuffed with them either. But I will caveat that I haven't done a search on this so could be wrong!).

In a more general sense I think maybe we all need a reality check. We say 'it's grey', 'it's got a window so big you can drive a truck through it', 'he puts up his prices every year or so, often by 20-30% at a time', 'his mark up is 5 times.....' (mind you, I can provide evidence for each of these points but that is not the point is it?). We expect them to have a thick skin and take it on the chin. Then we get unhappy with a mild comment that they find us tricky customers. I understand that even if they have poor interactions with the group, it is extremely inappropriate to apply these general statements to an individual. But I feel like we could also have some appreciation for the fact that there is another side to this, and if we have hurt some feelings with some of the more brash things we have said then that may be understandable.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lol just to shoot any credibility I have in the foot: I sometimes listen to beauty bloggers on youtube. A few of them complain that if they ever say anything negative about a subscriber or generally other people who are 'putting words in their mouth' then they get bashed.

It is seen that they should be the 'bigger person'. As they are in the position of authority. So everyone else can run aground willy-nilly but heaven forbid if they join the frey even to recant incorrect statements.

I feel maybe we put the same thing onto vendors. We expect every interaction they have to be positive. But if we are a bit of a mixed bag ourselves with not everything we have done a shining example of how we would like to be perceived, then that's ok.

That is a bit of an unnecessary cross to put on the shoulders of anyone. Maybe we can have some latitude in understanding some of our interactions with them will have more facets then that black and white view (i.e. maybe sometimes their communication will be patchy over certain periods, maybe they're going to say some things that are a bit off.... that is ok as we're only human.)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps they had bad experiences with some individuals or experienced an unpleasant “mob” mentality? Or they simply don’t like well informed consumers. Surely it’s easier to sell a bad gemstone to someone who doesn’t know what’s beryllium enhanced compared to an educated consumer?

Whatever it is, I’ll just be a bit more wary dealing with someone who thinks that PS-ers are a pain.

@mrs-b excited to hear about your new project. If you post your requirements here, I’m sure the experienced CS lovers will be happy to help you search.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
I feel maybe we put the same thing onto vendors. We expect every interaction they have to be positive. But if we are a bit of a mixed bag ourselves with not everything we have done a shining example of how we would like to be perceived, then that's ok.

+1

Something else no one has mentioned (I think?) is that we are all anonymous here. When we talk about vendors, we are naming names =easily accessed websites, emails, addresses, individuals. It likely is personal, even if we don't mean it to be. It's easy to talk about 'thick skin' when it is someone else's skin.
Anyway... agreed, it was not smart for this person to disparage a group that a potential customer is a member of. However, it might be interesting (insightful?) for you to hear his side of the story too.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The 2.16 is very nice, a happy & not bloody ruby from what I am seeing. [I might dream about seeing it next to the even smaller awa-07-02a - the vivid/deep magenta is my red]

ATTG might not want to get into the business of public lecturing & so be it.

You must have seen this: WWW

2p

Last edited:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s possible that some vendors have dealt with lowball offers from PSers. We think we’re being savvy consumers and they think we’re being picky and cheap. I think there’s truth to both.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't help it that I am better informed about diamonds and CSs than the average consumers by being a member of this board. :lol-2:

@mrs-b the Ruby is lovely, so is the third Sapphire. I hope you will be able to find a CS that makes your heart sing!

DK :))

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Ohhhhhh now that I know who it is I really want to know how the meeting turns out because I have loved this vendor's stones for forever, or at least the glam shots, but have never actually seen one in person! I really am interested in how the pics compare to the real thing.

And also now I totally understand their hate for PS, lol. This is not a bargain-price vendor. I guarantee you that people would say (probably have said, but I'm too lazy to do a search) "OMG you could find that for so much less!!" My feeling is that for vendors like this (and he's not the only one by a large margin), a large part of what you are paying for is their curation skills and middle management -- they've already gone through and picked out the best ones and certified them (or make arrangements to), so you don't have to go on IG, figure out which vendors aren't lying through their teeth, ask fifty times about gems before you find one that seems reasonable, deal with overseas returns, etc.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhhh now that I know who it is I really want to know how the meeting turns out because I have loved this vendor's stones for forever, or at least the glam shots, but have never actually seen one in person! I really am interested in how the pics compare to the real thing.

And also now I totally understand their hate for PS, lol. This is not a bargain-price vendor. I guarantee you that people would say (probably have said, but I'm too lazy to do a search) "OMG you could find that for so much less!!" My feeling is that for vendors like this (and he's not the only one by a large margin), a large part of what you are paying for is their curation skills and middle management -- they've already gone through and picked out the best ones and certified them (or make arrangements to), so you don't have to go on IG, figure out which vendors aren't lying through their teeth, ask fifty times about gems before you find one that seems reasonable, deal with overseas returns, etc.
I agree, but I think for some vendors it’s a vanity thing too. They can’t be told an unfavorite opinion about any of their merchandise (example: stone is too dark or unsaturated). I mean we all have opinions, and I’ve also learned on this forum that respecting others opinions, even if they don’t agree with you, is vital to be a cohesive member here, or a well respected vendor.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know who the vendor is. I had a less than optimal CS experience with them but hey, it was years ago and maybe they've changed (certainly hope so). No I didn't buy anything as they raised the price on it not long after my inquiry.

I don't doubt the knowledge that they have, but again, my experience with them was not a fun one (and I'm very easy going, I like easy going transactions)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW some years ago I bought a pair of 5mm blue sapphires from this vendor - fairly priced, item matched description and photos - my transaction with the vendor was entirely positive - I kept the pair but later ended up selling them as I decided not to have sapphire sidestones for my project. Only rarely do I identify myself as a PS member so that issue didn't arise for me back then. All that said, since my own experience with this vendor was good, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again if they had a stone I wanted to buy ...

I hope your meeting goes well mrs-b; and I look forward to your update on this thread afterwards.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-28_9-37-11.png
    upload_2019-9-28_9-37-11.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 226

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a pure accountability thing. You either stand behind what you sell and that it is fairly and accurately represented, or you don't. (Fairly priced is an entirely separate matter.) Many vendors are mentioned favorably on this site. This forum is a recourse for folks who feel that they have not been treated fairly by a vendor. Examples are misrepresentation in description or photos, too-stringent return policy, slow response times, etc. In every instance that I can recall, OP has already given the vendor an opportunity to make it right and only posts when that fails. So this would be like a business that refuses Yelp or Google reviews and that would be a red flag to me. "We are outstanding...but our customers may not agree."

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also do think when you ask about stones on here, they get pretty much blasted and picked apart in every possible way. I don’t think I’ve ever posted about a stone before I bought it where people said “yes, definitely buy!” Most of the feedback has been very, very critical. And I am ok with that - I like to know ALL the drawbacks before I make a choice, and don’t feel unduly influenced. But not everyone is that way and I definitely see people freaking out and not buying stones they were previously excited about. I can see how as a vendor that would be a negative. But as a consumer, and a consumer who likes to be informed, I think it’s a positive. Critical comments don’t mean I won’t buy something, and negative reviews don’t necessarily mean I won’t work with a vendor - in both cases they help me know what to be aware of and determine if it is the right choice for me. For people who are less secure in their opinions or who aren’t willing to risk possibly being disappointed or losing money, they can end up not buying things. Imo that’s good - it’s protecting the consumer. But from a vendor standpoint I can see how it would be frustrating.

Incredibly well said. I agree with it all. At the end of the day, all we have to go on is the photos, which may or may not be representative of the stone in hand.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a lack of saturation in all your responses, and some of them even have windows! :eek2:

Good luck Mrs-b. It's also a matter of getting to know the customers taste in stones. Even if what he brings does not work out, he'll have a much more accurate sense of what you like and can go back to his inventory for you.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a pure accountability thing. You either stand behind what you sell and that it is fairly and accurately represented, or you don't. (Fairly priced is an entirely separate matter.) Many vendors are mentioned favorably on this site. This forum is a recourse for folks who feel that they have not been treated fairly by a vendor. Examples are misrepresentation in description or photos, too-stringent return policy, slow response times, etc. In every instance that I can recall, OP has already given the vendor an opportunity to make it right and only posts when that fails. So this would be like a business that refuses Yelp or Google reviews and that would be a red flag to me. "We are outstanding...but our customers may not agree."
Well, that's not always the case. I can recall some times -- not recently -- where I thought someone came into the board prematurely with a gripe & then an unnecessarily imo heavy/indignant "pile-on" by other PSers ensued; or had unrealistic expectations; or based on the PSer's own recount here, I could understand why a vendor might think the prospective customer expected special consideration because of her "status" as a PSer. And as others have said, we're not privy to every communication/transaction between a vendor and those who identify themselves as PSers.

So I personally would not write off every vendor who may roll their eyes or chafe upon hearing PriceScope. Still, it's a boneheaded move for a vendor to make their less-than-glowing views known since that can alienate prospective buyers, as seen in the June thread about Alex Park and in this thread.

@mrs-b , you might suggest to ATGG that they do a reverse Google Images search for at least some of their stones. More than one online vendor has poached photos from their website to make it appear that an ATGG gem is in their own inventory. E.g., see pic #5 of 73 in this Mumbai dealer's slide show:
https://www.justdial.com/photos/t-t...tone-dealers-2fxl4u8-pc-57472532-sco-43dlfmxp

Hope your visit with them is/was worthwhile even if you ultimately decide not to make a purchase!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that's not always the case. I can recall some times -- not recently -- where I thought someone came into the board prematurely with a gripe & then an unnecessarily imo heavy/indignant "pile-on" by other PSers ensued; or had unrealistic expectations; or based on the PSer's own recount here, I could understand why a vendor might think the prospective customer expected special consideration because of her "status" as a PSer. And as others have said, we're not privy to every communication/transaction between a vendor and those who identify themselves as PSers.

So I personally would not write off every vendor who may roll their eyes or chafe upon hearing PriceScope. Still, it's a boneheaded move for a vendor to make their less-than-glowing views known since that can alienate prospective buyers, as seen in the June thread about Alex Park and in this thread.

@mrs-b , you might suggest to ATGG that they do a reverse Google Images search for at least some of their stones. More than one online vendor has poached photos from their website to make it appear that an ATGG gem is in their own inventory. E.g., see pic #5 of 73 in this Mumbai dealer's slide show:
https://www.justdial.com/photos/t-t...tone-dealers-2fxl4u8-pc-57472532-sco-43dlfmxp

Hope your visit with them is/was worthwhile even if you ultimately decide not to make a purchase!
I can’t find the June thread on Alex Park. Can you link it?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Iirc the previous complaints about this vendor were about communication, and the comment about PS fits into that. Idk how his overall customer service (in terms of if something goes wrong) is but the reviews I’ve seen from people who had simple purchases were good I think. The jewelry industry seems to attract a lot of people who do not naturally fit into the “salesperson” role and maybe that is what is going on here? It is nowhere near as offensive to me as the PFG post or Leon’s comments.

I’ve had several vendors comment to me that PS can be a mixed bag - which is perhaps a politer way of putting it. It hasn’t bothered me - but they also usually wait until we know each other to say it. It again seems like a not-the-greatest-social-skills thing to lead with it.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another reason is PS threads give a historical account of vendors who fail to meet the mark. Still remember the one vendor who sold a PS member a fractured stone, did not want to admit it or give a full refund, then went back and tried to sell that stone again without disclosing the fracture. Not only do I remember that vendor, but who knows what potential customer is going to stumble across that thread and avoid him too.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So how did the shopping go? Some of the blue sapphires you linked are going to be quite dark IRL....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results