shape
carat
color
clarity

Apparently B&Ms DO negotiate price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
Over the weekend, I was at the mall and on a whim I popped into Whitehall Jewelers (major chain.. in most malls right?) and browsed a little in their sapphire jewelry for a possible gift for my mom. I asked for the price on a necklace, it was an oval sapphire surrounded by diamonds on a white gold chain, very lovely. She pulled it out and told me the price was $659. I grimaced when I heard the price, and she must have seen it because she immediately whipped out a calculator and did a couple of calculations and then told me "I could go down to $450 on this one." Wow!!! She''s knocking off $200 before I even tried to negotiate?? So I guess the lesson is... no matter what the price is, look really pissed and upset when they tell you what it is! I bet many people have gone in there and paid full price for their stuff!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you trust someone who acts like that?
I dont.....

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
Well, I don''t know much of anything about gemstones... but if you know enough about sapphires/diamonds to be able to look at the stone through magnification and with the naked eye and feel that you''re buying a good stone at a fair price, what''s wrong with getting it? The woman may have been an unexperienced saleswoman. Maybe she was told she could lower the price as much as X%, and simply doesn''t understand how to negotiate, so just lowered the price right off the bat. What it indicated to me was that they are allowed to lower the price quite a bit.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can see why you got excited though psaddict. Its a tough place sometimes here for us newbies.

Maisie

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
most already have built in markups so they can give you a good *deal*, the best thing someone can do is be educated on the fair market value of what they are buying and then to make sure they are comparing apples to apples. Many times even after the sales staff discounts you are still overpaying for what your getting at many of the mall type jewelers. Sure, uneducated buyers may go in and buy the asking price, capitolism at work.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 4:40:20 PM
Author: mrssalvo
most already have built in markups so they can give you a good *deal*, the best thing someone can do is be educated on the fair market value of what they are buying and then to make sure they are comparing apples to apples. Many times even after the sales staff discounts you are still overpaying for what your getting at many of the mall type jewelers. Sure, uneducated buyers may go in and buy the asking price, capitolism at work.
Exactly.

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
I'm not saying that everyone should go and buy from B&Ms now, but I have seen people on here say that they don't think B&Ms will negotiate on price and that the price on the tag is what you get. I was just sharing my experience that they do negotiate quite a bit. So, if anyone wants to buy from a B&M instead of online for whatever reason, they should know that the prices can come down a lot.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
psaddict, I understand what you''re saying, but the reason they can come down a lot is b/c they are already marked up much higher. I don''t think folks here think you cannot negotiate with a B&M it''s just harder for many of them to come close to online vendors b/c their overheads are higher. Not all B&M''s are bad, many of our PS vendors own local stores and they same applies to them. Again, just make sure that good deal at the mall store is really a good deal and not just getting what you pay for
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I am sure that $450 was still way too high for that necklace. But lots of people will think, ''wow you just took $200 off, what a deal.'' The initial asking price is a complete joke. I would start negotiating from the $450 price. If I were to buy from a mall store, and I woudln''t.
14.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 6:09:09 PM
psaddict, I understand what you''re saying, but the reason they can come down a lot is b/c they are already marked up much higher. I don''t think folks here think you cannot negotiate with a B&M it''s just harder for many of them to come close to online vendors b/c their overheads are higher. Not all B&M''s are bad, many of our PS vendors own local stores and they same applies to them. Again, just make sure that good deal at the mall store is really a good deal and not just getting what you pay for
1.gif
Ditto. Plus they do this to make you feel like wow, I just got a great discount when the discounted price was really what they had in mind to sell it for originally.

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t have plans (and still don''t have plans) to buy from a B&M store, but wanted to go in and look at a few peices so I could see a bunch of different styles of jewelry in person and see what their prices were like. The reason I started this post was because I thought that B&Ms would not negotiate price, and the reason I thought this was because I had read more than one post on here from someone saying that B&Ms won''t usually negotiate at all. So, for those out there who didn''t think they would lower their prices (like me) I just wanted to share this information. Even if buying from a B&M means paying more, I''m sure there are some people on here who really want to buy something they saw in a B&M for whatever reason. So they should know that the price can come down and not just immediately pay the sticker price.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What your not getting is that that''s not negotiation that''s using a sleazy sales tactic on an intentionally overpriced item.

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
I get that you hate B&Ms, that you think their prices are overpriced no matter how low they bring them, that no one should buy from them, etc. My point is that

1.) There are some people who know what their options are, know that they can buy online, and still want to buy something they saw in a B&M, and it''s a free country and if they want to buy from a B&M they can do so. I think many things people buy are a waste of money or overpriced, whether they''re paying for a brand name or for something that''s a fad or whatever, but it''s whatever floats your boat.

2.) After reading several posts on here, I was under the impression that whatever price is on the price tag in a B&M is the price you''re going to get. I don''t care if you think that even a 95% discount isn''t enough of a discount at a B&M. My point is that if someone WANTS something at a B&M, (their choice, even if you think it is a bad choice) they should at least know that they shouldn''t be paying the price listed on the tag.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think that "discounts" and "sales" are very common in B&M stores who want to compete with other discount jewelry sources. I know most nice dept. stores have 40-50% off sales every time I go in there. So I never pay attention to sticker prices...I find out the bottom line price on anything and then compare what I can get it for online.

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
I agree... some places seem like they''re always having a major sale. Even after you find out what the price is with the sale % taken off, still make it clear that you''re shocked at the price and see how much more they''ll come down before giving up.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
psaddict, wanted to let you know I had a very similar experience at a Whitehall. I was just browsing and asked to look at a ring. She told me the price, but then almost immediately gave me a lower price, almost 100 dollars less. So it seems like it is something they do quite commonly.
I don''t think anyone here has gone on record that B & Ms as a rule don''t negotiate on price, only seen comments in the context of a certain store, like Tiffanys.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
PSAddict

I get what you are saying, don''t feel like all B & M''s should be avoided. There are various levels of them. I am in MD and we have Smyth, which carries VERY high end and gorgeous diamond as well as Craig Coyne who seem to make it thier mission to educate people on what an ideal cut stone is :) They just carry the mark up of having to run a store. Online places can offer us diamonds so cheaply because they don''t have to maintain the overhead of a B & M store. What you''ll find most of us are against are your chain mall stores. Honestly I STILL purchase gemstone jewelry from them. If I see something I REALLY love at $50 to $150 I get it. It''s not something that i''m spending terribly big bucks on. I don''t think anyone would chastise you for that. What people are saying is they weren''t really negotiating with you. If you walk into any mall store and ask to see something they will whip out that calculator and tell you what you are "saving". All the responses above are correct, it''s because they mark it up so much to begin with AND it''s a sleazy sales tactic. I still can''t stop reeling over what we paid for my wedding band. $1,000 for a plat 5 stone diamond band .50ct, color J/K clarity I1/I2. Pssshhh I could of gotten something around the same price for much better quality online!

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
Yes I agree, I wouldn't spend a lot of money at a B&M, but for that matter I wouldn't spend a lot online either. Since even those who are well-educated about the options still sometimes buy something from a B&M (such as yourself!) I wanted to make sure that everyone on here does know that B&Ms will negotiate the price if you make it known that you are not happy with the price. I'm sure she wouldn't have pulled out the calculator if I hadn't grimaced at the price. And from browsing around on here, I have seen more than one person on here state that they don't think B&Ms will negotiate at all from what's on the sticker. So, all I wanted to do was make sure people know that they will negotiate.

I am not a fan of mall jewelry stores, but then I'm also not a fan of paying a ton of money for a designer handbag that's actually the same in quality as a no-name brand. Since I know some people like B&Ms, I thought I'd give this tip for anyone who might not know about it. If I heard about a discount on a designer handbag I'd also share it even if I personally thought that even the reduced price was a rip-off. ... because I know some people like this sort of thing.

Anyway, my point was not to shove people towards B&Ms or try to say that their prices are better than online prices. I really didn't realize this would become such a debate!

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 7:53:25 PM
Author: devientdrow
PSAddict

I get what you are saying, don''t feel like all B & M''s should be avoided. There are various levels of them. I am in MD and we have Smyth, which carries VERY high end and gorgeous diamond as well as Craig Coyne who seem to make it thier mission to educate people on what an ideal cut stone is :) They just carry the mark up of having to run a store. Online places can offer us diamonds so cheaply because they don''t have to maintain the overhead of a B & M store. What you''ll find most of us are against are your chain mall stores. Honestly I STILL purchase gemstone jewelry from them. If I see something I REALLY love at $50 to $150 I get it. It''s not something that i''m spending terribly big bucks on. I don''t think anyone would chastise you for that. What people are saying is they weren''t really negotiating with you. If you walk into any mall store and ask to see something they will whip out that calculator and tell you what you are ''saving''. All the responses above are correct, it''s because they mark it up so much to begin with AND it''s a sleazy sales tactic. I still can''t stop reeling over what we paid for my wedding band. $1,000 for a plat 5 stone diamond band .50ct, color J/K clarity I1/I2. Pssshhh I could of gotten something around the same price for much better quality online!
I went to Smyth the other day and played with some stones... definately a well run store. I can''t believe the going price for the hearts on fire stones. So ridiculous. I did buy my ring/diamond from WF though.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Just so you know, I totally get what you are saying and Thank you for the heads up . . . and not ALL B&M places are bad, I know of atleast 4 places in the Boston jewelers area that I would readily purchase from knowing I might be paying a bit more for overhead costs . . . not all B&M places are bad, bad, bad . . . but I am REALLY GLAD that I found PS and convinced the BF to buy online, it was the best decision for us for this purchase . . . just my 2 cents, please don''t turn the wrath on me
23.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 8:05:01 PM
Author: psaddict
And from browsing around on here, I have seen more than one person on here state that they don''t think B&Ms will negotiate at all from what''s on the sticker. So, all I wanted to do was make sure people know that they will negotiate.

maybe I just don''t pay attention but I''ve never noticed folks saying B&M''s never negotiate unless it''s someplace like Tiffany''s or Harry winston. I''ve always told folks to absolutely ask and try for a better price when shopping, it never hurts to ask. anyway, you''ve made a good point, but I do hope folks will also remember to keep in mind the quality of what they are purchasing when shopping and making sure they know what they are getting and getting what they pay for, no matter what the *deal*
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 9:43:25 PM

Date: 1/22/2007 8:05:01 PM
Author: psaddict
And from browsing around on here, I have seen more than one person on here state that they don''t think B&Ms will negotiate at all from what''s on the sticker. So, all I wanted to do was make sure people know that they will negotiate.

maybe I just don''t pay attention but I''ve never noticed folks saying B&M''s never negotiate unless it''s someplace like Tiffany''s or Harry winston. I''ve always told folks to absolutely ask and try for a better price when shopping, it never hurts to ask. anyway, you''ve made a good point, but I do hope folks will also remember to keep in mind the quality of what they are purchasing when shopping and making sure they know what they are getting and getting what they pay for, no matter what the *deal*
1.gif
I had never read that either, unless one was discussing Harry Winston, Cartier, etc. In fact, I thought it was common knowledge that you don''t pay the asking price at a B&M. Similar to buying a car.

I do agree with Storm. I would not call an automatic price knock-down negotiating.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve experienced this at *many* B&Ms. I''m just sick of negotiating for what looks like poor quality jewelry. I''ve experienced better priced, quality, and service online.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Graff took a significant chunk off the sticker price before I even opened my mouth. Happened to my fiance too.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoftXKWcvWw

Watch it. It is an Australian television report o

Take everything you read on Today Tonight with a grain of salt. For instance, colour isn''t the most important ... cut is.

However, the message is the pertinent. B&M grossly inflate the prices of their products to increase their profit margins which must also pay overhead/staff costs. A lot of B&M stores have diamonds that are already ''set'' and have lighting that are flattering to poorly cut diamonds but not ideal-cuts so you go ''wow'' and buy it ... until you go outside and compare it to someone''s ACA / AGS000.

Obviously, the lady looked at your reaction - looked at her ''cost'' price and added some profit. Be wary of any store that automatically gives (or advertises) large 25-50% discount off all jewellery.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frequently a seller''s first step in negotiating is to tell you they don''t negotiate.

It works on many customers.

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
lol they always taught us that at Kays knock the price down before they even ask and then when they ask for more you can be all like "Oh well I already took off x amount"
41.gif
I''ve never heard of whitehall jewelers though so maybe its different then again maybe not
14.gif

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have time to find all the threads where people have said B&Ms don''t negotiate, but I found one of them:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/negotiating-this-zales-ring.56112/

This guy says he wants to negotiate with a B&M to get a lower price on a ring, and the first three people who responded to him all told him that they "won''t negotiate." And he''s not shopping at Tiffany''s or Harry Winston''s. I''ve seen the "B&Ms won''t negotiate" thing before in other posts as well.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always had the mall stores knock off hundreds off the top of stuff. The independant stores are another issue. I did recently buy a ring from a small store and on checkout they took off $100 without my asking. Of course, I paid too much for the ring to begin with, but I love it anyway!.

brilliantround

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 9:13:40 AM
Author: tanalasta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoftXKWcvWw

Watch it. It is an Australian television report o

Take everything you read on Today Tonight with a grain of salt. For instance, colour isn't the most important ... cut is.

However, the message is the pertinent. B&M grossly inflate the prices of their products to increase their profit margins which must also pay overhead/staff costs. A lot of B&M stores have diamonds that are already 'set' and have lighting that are flattering to poorly cut diamonds but not ideal-cuts so you go 'wow' and buy it ... until you go outside and compare it to someone's ACA / AGS000.

Obviously, the lady looked at your reaction - looked at her 'cost' price and added some profit. Be wary of any store that automatically gives (or advertises) large 25-50% discount off all jewellery.

Watched that clip with much interest.
6.gif
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results