shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone willing to help me find a Spinel?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am searching for a spinel, preferably a round but an oval may work if dimensions are right. I will be using it as a replacement stone in the setting, which is my avatar photo. I am resetting my diamond and need a nice gemstone to compliment the warm N color side diamonds in rose gold. Size needs to be in the mid 2 carat range. My current stone dimensions are 8.96 x 9.04 x 5.54. Color negotiable other than too dark. Budget around 1000. Any help would be much appreciated. I have done some looking, very frustrated right now at what I have found.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in the middle of a project where I'm searching by size, too, and I know it's really, really annoying. Do you know how much leeway your setting has, roughly?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck! I've been looking for a spinel or garnet in the 8.2mm-8.8mm range since January, while Michael E. twiddles his thumbs waiting for me to find something in the right size and the right color, so I know for a fact you have a challenge ahead of you. I finally bought the 8.6mm dusty rose spinel from Gemfix, even though I have some concerns about the color because there is just not that much out there in the larger sizes in a round. There are lots of ovals, but like you, I needed a round.

Have you considered contacting Jeff White to have him cut you something? He may have some of the bubble-gum pink spinel rough still available.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1303831516|2905340 said:
Good luck! I've been looking for a spinel or garnet in the 8.2mm-8.8mm range since January, while Michael E. twiddles his thumbs waiting for me to find something in the right size and the right color, so I know for a fact you have a challenge ahead of you. I finally bought the 8.6mm dusty rose spinel from Gemfix, even though I have some concerns about the color because there is just not that much out there in the larger sizes in a round. There are lots of ovals, but like you, I needed a round.

Have you considered contacting Jeff White to have him cut you something? He may have some of the bubble-gum pink spinel rough still available.
I almost bought that one last night but figured I would look a little more. Hate I did not, I hope it works for you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're also trying to find a precision cut 9mm or so spinel, it might be a little more difficult. I know you were very concerned about precision cutting in your last thread. Unfortunately, all the precision facetors that have even been cutting round spinels, are cutting them rather small, (7mm tops), but we'll keep a lookout for you. Check Lisa Elsner's catalog as she has the most extensive selection of precision cut stones there is. Get on her mailing list so you can get her comprehensive catalog.

http://www.lisaelser.com

If you do find a 9mm precision cut spinel, then you have to worry about the color being good. There's a lot of variables you need to factor in, so in this case, patience is a virtue. Buying the perfect colored stone is so much more difficult than buying a white diamond.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Bright Ice ~

I second the idea of contacting someone, JW, or whomever, to cut to your sepcifications.

Aoife ~

I sincerely hope Michael E. is NOT twiddling his thumbs because he is still working on my chrome tourmaline ring.., was supposed to me here tomorrow but I am thinking prolly not. :(sad

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1303842216|2905486 said:
Just recieved an e-mail from Jeff White stating that he had some pink spinel. He said light rose pink that has incredible life. I assume he is speaking of this pink
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-soooooo-excited-my-jeff-white-spinel-is-being-shipped.159593/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-soooooo-excited-my-jeff-white-spinel-is-being-shipped.159593/[/URL]

That is a very pretty stone. Does he have any that would cut a round in your size specifications though? I think you'll be very happy with his cutting.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1303842534|2905494 said:
bright ice|1303842216|2905486 said:
Just recieved an e-mail from Jeff White stating that he had some pink spinel. He said light rose pink that has incredible life. I assume he is speaking of this pink
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-soooooo-excited-my-jeff-white-spinel-is-being-shipped.159593/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-soooooo-excited-my-jeff-white-spinel-is-being-shipped.159593/[/URL]

That is a very pretty stone. Does he have any that would cut a round in your size specifications though? I think you'll be very happy with his cutting.
Waiting to actually speak with him. I had e-mailed him the later part of last week giving him my requirements, so I assume he does. I hope so.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. ;))

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Bright Ice: I hope it works for me, too, but have some doubts. I've heard wonderful things about Andrew Gulij's cutting, so that isn't a worry, at least. As TL pointed out, sometimes it's a case of getting the size for a good price, but you sacrifice the precision cut. I also considered contacting Jeff White, since I love what I have from him, but the price of a spinel in that size made me hesitate. If you don't mind, I'd be interested in hearing if he is going to be able to cut something for you in that size range for your budget. I do think that baby pink color is lovely.

Faegrace: I sincerely hope Michael E. is working diligently on your project, and that you'll post photos when you get it! I've only had him doing simple stock settings for me up until now, but I've always had good experiences with him and his workmanship.

gutgem

Rough_Rock
May want to check with Jim at flawlessfacets.com too. He sounded able to take care of me, but I chose a different route.

hannaht

Rough_Rock
Planetary Gems has a medium blue round spinel 8.7mm. It's listed under alternative gems.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts on these stones. Just want your opinions on the overall look. Keeping in mind that setting is rose gold with side diamonds.

2.35 Ceylon Blue Spinel
http://www.planetarygems.com/Alternativegems.htm

2.44 Honey Hessonite Garnet
http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=6132

3.65 Fuschia Spinel. Probably a bit large for my setting.
http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=5466

2.31 Pink Tourmaline
http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=9142

2.68 Copper Orange Tourmaline
http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=6613

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Bright Ice ~

Oooh, I had looked at that spinel and believe it would be worth a gaze IRL.., and I like the round pink tourmaline of Richard's cuts. the spinel doesn't look gray and has life to it, on my monitor. The pink looks incredibly feminine w/o being a standard cut, obviously, providing interest. Have you considered looking into a rhodolite? I only ask because I saw a setting with rose gold and the most beautiful pinkish rhodolite. It took my breath away, the gem and the alloy were so stunning together.

Good luck with your search! :)

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Planetary gems seems to enhance their photos, and if you do a search on them, you might find mixed reviews. They gave someone here major grief with a return.

I would rule out hessonite since I think brown is a very undesirable color, and it shouldn't cost so much, great cutting or not. If you like brown stones, you shouldn't pay so much. I have an issue with overpaying for any stone that is overly brown or grey, sorry. JMO.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
If you like concave faceting, I think the ones you've linked to here are very fine examples. On the fuchsia spinel: I thought you were looking for a round? If not, I like the color of that the best of the stones you've listed. The pink tourmaline would be an option, but on my monitor it reads as slightly grey. I think you might find the copper orange tourmaline a bit dark.

Was Jeff White not able to help you out?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1303929954|2906374 said:
I think you might find the copper orange tourmaline a bit dark.

I agree, concave cutting also makes darker toned stones look even darker, so I would avoid that one.

The pink tourmaline has been enhanced with heat, so please note that.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was finally able to speak with Jeff White this evening about cutting a spinel for me from that beautiful light pink parcel. He thinks he can accomadate me, checking his rough. Sounds like it is a little pricey though. Will update when I hear.

Thanks everyone!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That Planetary Gems spinel has been on sale for almost (maybe more than) 3 years. I know this because I considered it for my ering stone. It looks a bit shallow (see the window?) and I believe it's probably darker than it looks in the picture--it used to be pictured with some tweezers that were basically white in the picture. I'd go with pink. And of course Jeff White is amazing.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally got to talk with Jeff White in length today. He was very helpful. Made my deposit to have him cut me a spinel from his pink parcel which he describes as very rare to come by. It will be somewhere between 8.5 to 9mm, He says it's some of the best he has ever had. Wait time around 6 weeks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1304145386|2908483 said:
Finally got to talk with Jeff White in length today. He was very helpful. Made my deposit to have him cut me a spinel from his pink parcel which he describes as very rare to come by. It will be somewhere between 8.5 to 9mm, He says it's some of the best he has ever had. Wait time around 6 weeks.

Lucky you!!! Can't wait to see it. Please post pics when it is done!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

I'm so glad that Jeff is able to help you! His cutting is just fabulous. I finally broke down and contacted him yesterday after receiving the Gemfix spinel and having my concerns about it confirmed. Back it goes, and I am hoping that Jeff will be able to cut something for me.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1304171878|2908561 said:

I'm so glad that Jeff is able to help you! His cutting is just fabulous. I finally broke down and contacted him yesterday after receiving the Gemfix spinel and having my concerns about it confirmed. Back it goes, and I am hoping that Jeff will be able to cut something for me.
Oh good. He was very nice to talk with. He does have some more pink parcels. I hope it works out for you. Sorry about the Gemfix spinel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results