shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone use the GemEwizard software?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

danielh

Rough_Rock
Being as I am working on my GIA GG degree, and in the last phase, and hardest part, colored stones, I was wondering what it would take to get the new GemEwizard from Stuller, and now endorsed by GIA. I went to the GemEwizard website
http://www.gemewizard.com/ and played with the demo, as well as read the information on this software. While I found it full of bells and whistles, one thing kept bugging me. Color! Half of my immediate family are currently , or have in the past, worked in the technical engineering end of television , movie production, and computers. Growing up around 5 people who were pedantic about correct color settings was often a pain in the butt, especially at those family get together where all the nerds would form a circle in one corner of grandmas living room and talk tech. But I must have accidentally learned something being in the same room with them. Correct color is hard to get.
I wondered how this software could have correct color, when color standards differ depending on where in the world you are. Just in TV alone, NTSC, PAL, PAL 3, Pal 4, SECAM, and so on, they are all a little different. NTSC, ( My Dad joked that stands for Never Twice Same Color) what we use in the states, does not use true black for black. While Pal in England, uses black in its color bars.
Then I wondered, what about monitor settings, which are almost impossible to get correct and keep correct. Pantone sells a cool little gadget called the Spyder, that you put on your screen and it helps you set correct color for a little over $300.00. But who’s correct colors do you get? Pantones. Granted they are the industry standard on print colors and many in the film and video industry use it as well, but once again, that is for the US.
How can this help when dealing in a global economy as we have today? I sure cant see it.
And what about ambient light , where you actually are holding the physical stone you want to grade? At least with the old color Popsicle stick types, you could have it in the exact same conditions as the stone you are judging. You cant do that with you monitor. Your arms would get tired real fast.
Now according to my lessons for my GG, diamonds and the master stone should be viewed under the same light, under the same conditions, and next to each other. Considering that some colored stones can cost more per carat than diamonds, I would have expected at least the same standards when it comes to grading them. But then again, Im no expert. I just cant imagine a gem dealing in Thailand or India paying $500 for the software, and $30 a month just because we can fee and another $300 for the pantone spyder to setup moniters. And that is where most of the stones will come from. In my research I found some reviews that pretty much confirms my suspsions about the GemEwizard, I think this one does it the best. http://www.preciousgemstones.com/gfsum03.html#2
But so far my personal opinion is that this might do more to lessen accurate grading of stones than it does to increase it.

Now I did get a reply from GemEwizard, which seemed a little disapointing, and cause of more questions to come into my busy head.

“We see in our records that are not a Gemewizard customer and so you are not elegible for support, however please read the attached on how to calibrate LCD. LCD is a must when using Gemewizard and we have found that calibrated LCDs give fairly homogenous results.”

Now they didnt address my questions about ambeint lighting and such, but personally, Im not overly impressed yet.

Now if I would think if they could build it into an all in one stone grader, like the diamond graders sometimes use, and sold a unit pre calibrated from the factory and a way to recalibrate it in the field so everyone using it gets the same results no matter the conditions, then this would be consistent and a nice little gadget I would think. And I think the extra price would be worth it as most people I know would probably have to buy a good LCD screen, and maybe even have a computer dedicated to this software just so no other programs mess with the video card settings, as some do, like adobe products can for one example. Spending a couple grand for a stand alone grader, drop the stone in, slide the cover over, and push the button, would be well worth it if many in the trade used it. it would be like everyone having the same eye to grade the color of the stone.
but the word fairly , when it comes to stones that could cost hundreds, even thousands a carat, I dont like the sound of it when its sounds like its no more accurate than the system used now, the human eye and best guess.

Does anyone here have experience with this software? What is your opinion?

Daniel

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
quick question, unrelated to answering yours...sorry

Are you taking classes on location, extension, or through the mail? I am curious about how they work.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the intro about colors and screens...

Isn't this why the Wizard is not a grading system but a 'communication system' as they say? I can imagine this sort of use is about half of the function an all-out grading system would have, but it is still more than nil.

Even as is, I am a bit frustrated at the low-teck approach to create the virtual 'color samples'. Not just because of the color correction, but because they take 2D opaque examples for 3D things with complex optics and varied degrees of transparency. And all this, while light and color could be put together after all. Software that models cut does not deal with color as yet (try Gem Adviser for example). If there is a long distance until they could, I do not know. But what if this was feasible and somewhat took the step to do it? For once there could be progress about grading the color appearance as determined by cut as well as the color quality of the material, lighting and transparency could be accounted and overall one could get more of a description of the object at hand and a very realistic way to proceed towards a standard. All these are not even mentioned about Stuller's system - and all make me think that if this is a first step towards a color grading standard, it is a rather small step that could be improved upon if only there was will (or demand).

My 2c

There has been some amount of discussion about color grading on this forum. You may even recognize some of the participants.

I find the discussion fascinating, as any other regulation exercise... in a philosophical way. More practically, I am not so enthusiastic about standard grades: the science of it makes a cute pipe dream, but the related economics sound worse (taking Richard Hughes' line on it - from here). Sure enough, I am no expert.

danielh

Rough_Rock
This is directly from Gem Wizards website.
……………………..
“GIA intends to begin using the software to assist students in its Colored Stones courses starting in January 2005. According to William E. Boyajian, GIA’s president, “The software will help our students better understand color in gems and enable them to easily navigate through GIA ‘color space,’ the color description reference system used in our Colored Stones diploma program.”

“The recent classroom testing by GIA students takes the software a step further. “Our intention going forward is to support colored stone education and the colored stone industry by using the custom software as an intuitive teaching tool for our proven colored stone grading system.”
……………………………………..
I get the impression that they mean to use it for color grading. But even if not, it will make students so use to it, they may keep using it once out in business to color grade.
We all know that the game here is to sell the software, and the more you get use to it,
the more you will sell. Nothing wrong with that, if it will help make things easier ,
more accurate, and consistent throughout the trade. I just cant see that the way it sits.
And I would bet that even if its sold as a communication system, it will be used as a grading system by many in the industry.

I am taking the distance course and was lucky to get the old fashion GIA Hue Wheel , what I call the Popsicle sticks. Which the new course doesn’t come with anymore. Its all books. I know this because I was halfway through my GG course when the updated course came out. I paid the extra to get the new information of the updated course. No Hue wheel at all. Only printed pictures in a book. I think that is a shame.

Now there are a couple diamond color grading machines out there , one that I hear very good things about is from Sarin. Small , portable, and accurate , consistent, and you can calibrate it. Or that is what I understand, Ive never used one, Ive just know people who have. It will even color grade set stones! I cant figure how they do that. So I would best they could do it with colored stones as well. It probably takes more money for R&D than they want to spend right now, but I bet it will happen sooner or later. And if you could get those in all the major colored stone markets, then that would be fantastic. After a while if you could get the price down so most stores could have one, then there would be universal consistency in the grading system. That would be great!

I would think as long as it stays desk top or lap top computer based it will never be very accurate. If it was so great, then you would see GIA Labs and other labs using it. I haven’t see that. As a communication tool for ordering stones , I can see it being that, but for 4 or $500 up front, and $30 dollars a month fee, that I cant see when you can get what you want just by giving a description over the phone or in an email. And considering a company called Thai Gems, a dealer of lower priced gems which unfortunately has gone to some silly game type of buying system and you cant just order stones, but a couple years ago they actual gave a way a nice CD full of colors and hues and stones and such. that would work fantastic for knowing what a customer wants. It was free.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2005 5:31:44 AM
Author: danielh

Thai Gems, a dealer of lower priced gems which unfortunately has gone to some silly game type of buying system and you cant just order stones, but a couple years ago they actual gave a way a nice CD full of colors and hues and stones and such. that would work fantastic for knowing what a customer wants. It was free.
Didn''t know about it, but that is rather interesting...

Even if GIA''s thing is worse, ''bet it would catch because of the stamp.

The thought that such a gimmick may become a bootleg grading tool is sad.
7.gif

danielh

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 1:43:39 AM
Author: sylvesterii
quick question, unrelated to answering yours...sorry

Are you taking classes on location, extension, or through the mail? I am curious about how they work.

Im doing the extension and distance. You have to do them both if you dont go on location.
Its not cheap especially if you buy the instruments needed like I did. I just checked, its up to $3999.00 for the course. You will have at least that in extension courses, and about another 2-3 grand in instruments if you buy them from GIA. Non GIA you can do it for around 2 grand if you do get a GemOre low end stereo scope. If you can use someone elses instruments, then its even cheaper! I bought all my stuff as I wanted it for when I am working as a GG.

Now I just notices this on the GIA GG website…..

“GIA''s G.G. diploma program fulfills a portion of the education requirements for the Certified Gemologist title from the American Gem Society (AGS)”

If the GIA GG only fulfills a portion of the AGS requirements, are they saying the AGS is better and more intense ? Maybe I should have gone AGS ? Seems strange they would post this. Hmm?

You might want to look into the AGS as well.

The GIA course is good though, and depending on who you read or talk to and on what day it is at GIA , they will tell you that Distance students learn it better than students who attend GIA campuses. Now that use to be posted on the distance education site, but they took it down. I guess because the campus students paid more and felt they should be getting the better education. * lol * When I visited GIA in Carlsbad a couple years back I ask them about this, and they insisted that was not true. Maybe that is when they took it off the website. It is more difficult if you don’t have access to a lot of stones to study with. You can still pass all the test even without having a single stone to practice on except those in the extension classes, but you will gain more usable knowledge if you have real stones to work with. I pulled a 98 on my the final exam for my diamonds portion of my GG and really attribute some of that to having friends who trusted me enough to let me work with some of their diamond stock. I think it helped more of the book lessons soak into my head.

One thing about the distance course is the instructors seem to come and go. But for the most part they do answer back within a day or so. Although I have had some that never answered or take weeks to answer after a couple reminders. I guess they get busy and forget. But over all, its pretty good. And if you are like me who question things, they don’t tend to like that. They like you to accept what the books say. I feel a gemologist is kind part scientist, part private investigator, and if you don’t ask questions when something seems wrong, then you aren’t doing your job.

Now that I said all this, I hope they still let me graduate ! * lol * I’ve given them to much money, and put to much time into it not make it now!
34.gif

danielh

Rough_Rock
Oh AGS doenst have classes, you just need certain levels to get certified as a GG with them. I get it. DUH...

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all the info! very helpful.

Is that 4K per class? or have you spent 4K throughout to finish the program?

How many classes is it then?

Although I guess after 7 years of college and law school, what is a couple more years!

hrm. 2002 college, 2007 law, 2009 GG, 2011 culinary school...don''t think my wife is going to be happy. hehe.

Seriously though,

Did you find it tough to work on your GG while still managing your daily life?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 5:56:30 AM
GIA's G.G. diploma program fulfills a portion of the education requirements for the Certified Gemologist title from the American Gem Society (AGS)

If the GIA GG only fulfills a portion of the AGS requirements, are they saying the AGS is better and more intense ? Maybe I should have gone AGS ? Seems strange they would post this. Hmm?
This is OT but I ran across the AGS CG recertification exam in a google search here: AGS 2004 Recertification Questionnaire. Want to try your luck?
1.gif
. I was interested at the focus on business-related topics as opposed to just straight gemology. I guess AGS is a jewelers trade organization so not all that surprising.

Maybe I should post in its own topic on the diamonds group...

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
sorry for totally jacking this post.

You know, there should be a thread that details what each of the initials after a jewelers name actually means, and how one goes about obtaining it. It would be helpful to know what they would qualify a person to do.

And also provide info for those who are interested in becoming one or obtaining the credentials. It probably already exists...

danielh

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 9:35:03 AM
Thank you for all the info! very helpful.

Is that 4K per class? or have you spent 4K throughout to finish the program?

How many classes is it then?

Although I guess after 7 years of college and law school, what is a couple more years!

hrm. 2002 college, 2007 law, 2009 GG, 2011 culinary school...don't think my wife is going to be happy. hehe.

Seriously though,

Did you find it tough to work on your GG while still managing your daily life?

My your a busy little beaver!
34.gif
law, culinary, now Gemologist..

That is 4 grand just for the GIA books for the course. Each book is about the size of a magazine, on quality thick paper, and each is no more than 30 pages each. There are around 40 for the all of colored stones, and about the same for diamonds. But they do come with spiral folders to store them in and a free GIA pencil in each section! You have to take the extension classes to get the degree. Those are about $1000 each. and are not all over. I was lucky that they had just brought most of them I needed to St. Louis again, and even though each class was filled, they decided not to bring them back anymore. So I didnt have to travel. You usually have to go to any GIA campus , or a larger city like Las Vegas, or Chicago once a year. Each class is about around a whole 5 days week, and last 8 hours each day.

Now , as for daily life disruptions, I dont know if my life was a hectic as yours sounds, but I dealt with an accident, losing a 45k a year job over it, fighting Worker comp insurance, 4 spinal injuries, nerve damage of the spinal cord from a surgery, 2 births of daughters, 4 knee surgeries, living on pain medication for the pain ,depression, a divorce, only getting to see my daughters for a couple days a week, losing everything I had ever owned and all my settlement money from the accident, going on disability, food stamps, and eventually starting to go back college courses to so I might have a fighting chance of getting back to work someday even though older gimps aren’t exactly at the top of the employers hire list. But besides that over the last 5 years, and working on my GIA gemologist course, I have made it this far. One saving grace though was when they updated the course, If I paid the $250 to up date my already paid for course, it extended my finish time a couple years. So that was a bonus I didn’t expect.

It hasn’t been easy, but Im almost done. My next goal will be to find someone who is willing to give me a chance so I can get real hands on usage of my GG degree. If not, I will just try to find an alternative way to reach my goal. But after everything Ive gone through in the last 5 years, I learned one thing, no matter how bad it gets, as long as I don’t give up, I can always find a way to survive. Or at least I keep telling myself that.

3.gif
Geez I need to proof read better so I dont have to keep correcting things!

danielh

Rough_Rock
You know, your right. I dont even know all of those or the requirements behind them. Maybe I will research it and start one. It would be a good way to learn about it.

danielh

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 10:53:58 AM
Author: elmo
Date: 12/14/2005 5:56:30 AM

GIA''s G.G. diploma program fulfills a portion of the education requirements for the Certified Gemologist title from the American Gem Society (AGS)

This is OT but I ran across the AGS CG recertification exam in a google search here: AGS 2004 Recertification Questionnaire. Want to try your luck?
1.gif
. I was interested at the focus on business-related topics as opposed to just straight gemology. I guess AGS is a jewelers trade organization so not all that surprising.

Maybe I should post in its own topic on the diamonds group...

Thanks , Im checking it out right now!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"You can still pass all the test even without having a single stone to practice on except those in the extension classes, but you will gain more usable knowledge if you have real stones to work with."

Daniel, they must have changed the way they do the distance education classes. Back when I did the Diamond Grading class, the GIA mailed you diamonds to grade (oh and they gave you a set of red and green ballpoint pens too). You had to fill out a grading worksheet for each stone which included measuring/calulating the table percentage, estimating crown and pavillion angles, grading polish, symmetry, and the doing plot map. In the beginning you could be off by 2 clarity grades and still get credit, but I think at the end you were allowed to be off only by 1 clarity grade. Since many of us did not have access to Master Stones for color grading, they asked us to estimate it but didn''t lose points if we were wrong.

You''ll have a blast in the Gem ID class where you practice on the many stones that they mail you. I sweated bullets on the 20 stone final though where you fail if you mis-identify just one specifman. Thank god I passed.

So after completing the Diamonds, Diamond Grading, Colored Stones, Colored Stones Grading, and Gem Identification classes, and passing a comprehensive final covering all 5 classes, I did earn my Gemologist Diploma back in 1989. To get my GG, would have to complete the 3 extension classes in Diamonds, Colored Stones, and Gem ID at $1000 a pop which I can''t justify right now since I never did work full time in the jewelry business (am a VP in the IT business instead where they pay a lot more).

Good luck with your studies and I hope to see that GG (GIA) after your name soon.

danielh

Rough_Rock
I do believe they still send out the stones for diamonds, but since I took the extension courses not long after I started the course, back then I had the money and they were local, I didnt have to go through the mail.

I was told that the colored stones are still mailed to be examined, I did ask this a while back, but , for some reason I am not getting responses to my questions right now. Maybe my instructor is out sick. I hope she is ok, she is the nicest and a good instructor. I will have to wait and see.

You cant miss any of the stones in a finals. Yikes, I can see where the pressure comes from. But I guess if they give you all the resources, and don’t toss a ringer in group, and given enough time, and luck, and , and , and….. lol

Now if you didn’t pass, do you get to try again sometime, or is that it? That would scare me. I don’t think they should let you keep taking it until you pass, then they might as well just not give the test, but I would hope for the amount of money it cost, you get a couple chances.

Like you, Im working at this to learn it, not just to hang the diploma on the wall. I do hope to work in the industry as a gemologist someday, but realistically, I don’t expect that to happen unless I do it myself.

I just thought of a funny thing that happened about 4 months ago. I thought I was far enough along in my GG, and with the holidays coming up, I would try to get a part time job to help buy my daughters presents and to gain some real life experience. A friend of mine works at a Wal Mart close to my house. I went and applied. When the jewelry department manager saw I was working on my GG she said that they don’t have people with that kind of back ground for the sales jobs. When I ask why, she said the less the sales people know, the better they are off in sales, and legally. You cant misrepresent what you don’t know. I was stunned! I expect the normal, “Im not sure you could handle all the standing”, or, and I love this one, “Oh, I have- ADD , or dyslexia, or , a bad back, or what ever, - I know what its like to have a disability, but….” They make a medical opinion of you right then and there. But to be told it’s a liability to be knowledgeable, that was a good one.

Ok, back on subject now. I worked hard and did everything I can to learn the most I can. I think the lowest grade on any exam so far is was an 89, Id have to check to confirm if they go that low. But on the finals for diamonds I pulled a 98 out. The grades are not as important to me as the knowledge, I find is so fascinating. I even took some geology courses at the local university a couple years ago just to learn more. I love to investigate the stones under the microscope. Mother Nature has made some of the finest works of art and such a tiny scale. Im sure you have seen the “Photo Atlas” of inclusions. I bought the first one when I still had money. It is great. Id love to get the new one, but that will have to wait a while at $300 dollars. Another book that my Dad was nice enough to get me for Xmas last year , and I highly recommend anyone who loves the details and art of the inner gem to check out, is “Within The Stone “by a photographer named Bill Atkinson.
I even used parts of the photos as a part of a painting in one of my fine art classes at university. Amazing world inside the gemstone. I am more amazed with the insides of the stone than I am with the outside.
Ok, my afternoon coffee has kicked in and I am getting to wound up about this now. I need to make some dinner, clean the kitchen, start some laundry, and sit down and study some on my colored stones.
Sorry about going off and the rants ! This is something I am passionate about, I do like talking about it.

Daniel

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2005 6:54:05 PM
You cant miss any of the stones in a finals. Yikes, I can see where the pressure comes from. But I guess if they give you all the resources, and don’t toss a ringer in group, and given enough time, and luck, and , and , and….. lol

Now if you didn’t pass, do you get to try again sometime, or is that it? That would scare me. I don’t think they should let you keep taking it until you pass, then they might as well just not give the test, but I would hope for the amount of money it cost, you get a couple chances.

Like you, Im working at this to learn it, not just to hang the diploma on the wall. I do hope to work in the industry as a gemologist someday, but realistically, I don’t expect that to happen unless I do it myself.

Daniel
I don''t know how many tries they give you at passing the Gem ID Final but it must be more than once since a friend of mine who got her GG recently (she did it on campus) said there were a few students that didn''t pass the first time and had to retake it. I''d give the GIA a call and ask. BTW, she landed a job as a diamond grader for Tiffany''s (they are a sightholder) and told me that "J" colored diamonds (which are quite popular on this board) are RTV (Return to Vendor) since Tiffany''s won''t sell a "J" colored stone. That was interesting.

The GIA does have job postings on their website. Have you looked at them?

danielh

Rough_Rock
I don''t know how many tries they give you at passing the Gem ID Final but it must be more than once since a friend of mine who got her GG recently (she did it on campus) said there were a few students that didn''t pass the first time and had to retake it. I''d give the GIA a call and ask. BTW, she landed a job as a diamond grader for Tiffany''s (they are a sightholder) and told me that ''J'' colored diamonds (which are quite popular on this board) are RTV (Return to Vendor) since Tiffany''s won''t sell a ''J'' colored stone. That was interesting.

The GIA does have job postings on their website. Have you looked at them?[/quote]

Congratulations on your friend getting a grader job with Tiffany’s. I would love to get a job like that with any company, but Tiffany''s , wow, that is so cool.
But just wondering something, she is young and fairly attractive , right? I know, I do get stuck on this, but its been proven many times by many people, and especially in a "Fashion" industry. Even the behind the scene people seem to be GQ and young now, they were when they started. That is probably one of my biggest concerns. But an older, normal looking ( non GQ)guy.

Ive been to the GIA sight many times over the last couple years. Im still a little weary of how to describe my lack of work over the last couple years due to disability.(my second biggest concern) My Voc Rehab and re-employment consolers insist that because my problem is not obvious, they dont have the right to know. I have this little thing called a consciences though, and I am sure they will wonder what Ive been doing to the last couple years. I am not happy to lie about things, as it always comes back to bite you in the end.

Im not worried about proving myself once I get in the door, I know I can do it. Its getting in the door. But, I have to get to that point first and then I will figure something out. But only as long as its in an honest way.

Ok, break time over, I have my daughters this weekend, so its back to study as I wont get much time over the weekend.

Daniel

41.gif

danielh

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 11:40:55 AM
sorry for totally jacking this post.

You know, there should be a thread that details what each of the initials after a jewelers name actually means, and how one goes about obtaining it. It would be helpful to know what they would qualify a person to do.

And also provide info for those who are interested in becoming one or obtaining the credentials. It probably already exists...

http://www.gia.edu/gemtradelab/119/copyright__trademarks.cfm

this link will take you to the place that explains usage and terms of professional credentials after a name. It applies to GIA''s. I will see what the others are and get back to you later. There are a ton of them out there. from gemologist and jewelers, to sales and appraisers.

GIA''s G.G. diploma program fulfills a portion of the education requirements for the Certified Gemologist title from the American Gem Society (AGS)
[/quote]
This is OT but I ran across the AGS CG recertification exam in a google search here: AGS 2004 Recertification Questionnaire. Want to try your luck? . I was interested at the focus on business-related topics as opposed to just straight gemology. I guess AGS is a jewelers trade organization so not all that surprising.

Danielh and Elmo.

I just wondered into this site and found your conversation about GG and CG.

I see both of you found that CG is an AGS title. But from a couple of remarks you do not fully understand the difference between GIA and AGS, Here is a quicky lesson from a GG, 30 year CG and 20 year CGA.

Both organizations were founded by Robert Shipley. GIA first, because at that time Jewelers really needed gem education. A few years later these newly "educated" jewelers felt the need for a trade organization of "educated" and "ethical" jewelers so they talked Shipley into starting this group. That became the AGS.

AGS leaves the teaching or foundation to GIA. The AGS titles use a GG as a prerequisite to start working toward their titles. The big difference is that a GG, like a BA, is yours for life. The AGS titles are yours for a year. In that time you must have done some CE and pass the written exam to re-register as a titleholder.

[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results