shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone up for a hunt...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to have to wait a while to set my sapphire in a CVB ID setting, so I thought maybe I could find a white gold temp setting. The sapphire is 1.64 ctw oval 6.73 x 5.98 x 4.98 mm and here is the kicker-- going on my right hand index finger, so the ring needs to be about a 9.25 size or something close to that that can be sizeable.

Is anyone good at this kind of hunt? Obviously, the cheaper, the better.

Would this setting work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2ct-Oval-9mm-x-6-5mm-Peach-Pink-Natural-Sapphire-Ring-14k-White-Gold-Size-9-5/112659111138?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Thanks for any help.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, since it will be right hand index finger, do you think a simple solitaire would get banged up too much? Thanks.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I wore my grandmother's pronged wedding ring for awhile on my thumb and all it did was catch. :( And it wasn't even a solitaire. I would hesitate to put one on my index finger because it's so close to the thumb. I think right ring finger would be a safer spot. But I am right handed. If you happen to be left handed perhaps it might be easier to do it :)

But that's just me and I'm clumsy :) Maybe someone else might have better tips on wearing one on the index finger. It really can be gorgeous!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore my grandmother's pronged wedding ring for awhile on my thumb and all it did was catch. :( And it wasn't even a solitaire. I would hesitate to put one on my index finger because it's so close to the thumb. I think right ring finger would be a safer spot. But I am right handed. If you happen to be left handed perhaps it might be easier to do it :)

But that's just me and I'm clumsy :) Maybe someone else might have better tips on wearing one on the index finger. It really can be gorgeous!

My CBI is on my right ring finger.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Damn. Can't beat that price.

Is silver soft?

I may ask Ilya at Ivy and Rose to make me something...

I have many silver rings and they are pretty durable, especially for short term. My other suggestions was going to be Ivy and Rose.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I should show some pics of the sapphire:
IMG_3227.JPG IMG_3214.JPG IMG_3210.JPG IMG_3195.JPG IMG_3197.JPG
That is one gorgeous sapphire @whitewave!!
This gets me excited for the hot pink sapphire that I just bought, but now I want blue :kiss2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3957.PNG What do you all think of tension settings? :confused: Maybe thinner? It didn't occur to me sapphires culd go in one..

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a 5 stone ring that’s big enough to wear on my right index finger and it seriously catches on everything (I was just eating and taking things out of my bag like...my wallet or phone). It was annoying after a couple of minutes so I switched it to my left hand’s index finger. Right ring finger is fine.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hot pink would be amazing too!!
Thank you!

Left is the one I fell in love with at a local jewelry store, but which was much outside of my budget. Right is the one I found from Gene at Precision Gem (who is a pleasure to work with btw!). The pics are blurry, sorry!
327F1011-B967-4199-827C-6947B15DE6C0.jpeg
Btw this is one of my favorite settings for oval gems, I think that it was made by DK:
220495F6-64FB-461F-A87D-FCD5D0A1AF13.jpeg

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 5 stone ring that’s big enough to wear on my right index finger and it seriously catches on everything (I was just eating and taking things out of my bag like...my wallet or phone). It was annoying after a couple of minutes so I switched it to my left hand’s index finger. Right ring finger is fine.

Left hand index is ok?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

Left is the one I fell in love with at a local jewelry store, but which was much outside of my budget. Right is the one I found from Gene at Precision Gem (who is a pleasure to work with btw!). The pics are blurry, sorry!
327F1011-B967-4199-827C-6947B15DE6C0.jpeg
Btw this is one of my favorite settings for oval gems, I think that it was made by DK:
220495F6-64FB-461F-A87D-FCD5D0A1AF13.jpeg

Oh lala. Those are all stunning! The last thing I need is to start a colored stone wish list,,,,

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Left hand index is ok?

Better than right hand index. Okay for going shopping/to dinner and digging things out of my bag with my right hand. Okay for going to class and fiddling around with notebooks (language classes for adults). Okay for just hanging out but not okay if I want to do anything active with my left hand. Like I just feel more conscious of it!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better than right hand index. Okay for going shopping/to dinner and digging things out of my bag with my right hand. Okay for going to class and fiddling around with notebooks (language classes for adults). Okay for just hanging out but not okay if I want to do anything active with my left hand. Like I just feel more conscious of it!

Ok, thanks. I should probably move it to left hand. Thanks for the insight.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_3957.PNG What do you all think of tension settings? :confused: Maybe thinner? It didn't occur to me sapphires culd go in one..

I was actually going to suggest a tension or a bezel with a thicker band if you want to wear it as a right hand index ring. I have a few stacking rings with bezeled stones that I wear on my right index for going out, which are fine when stacked, but if it's a few single rings it can sometimes get in the way.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will check it out, thanks.

@metall but look at that price tag!! :shock:

Ooohhh Sorry! I should have totally mentioned that I was thinking if you were going to go silver anyways....a bezel/tension setting in silver shouldn't be terrible.

I figured that the price in the picture was the stone and ring...my apologies for assuming!

As a right hand index ring setting, I think that it needs to be tiny bit more flush to your finger/set lower for comfort and anti snagging reasons...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooohhh Sorry! I should have totally mentioned that I was thinking if you were going to go silver anyways....a bezel/tension setting in silver shouldn't be terrible.

I figured that the price in the picture was the stone and ring...my apologies for assuming!

As a right hand index ring setting, I think that it needs to be tiny bit more flush to your finger/set lower for comfort and anti snagging reasons...

Ok. I didn't realize silver could be in a tension setting. Learning all kinds of new things today!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't think so either since it is so soft, but I was looking up settings when I saw a tension setting in silver....and then a little research took me to this site:
http://www.everything-wedding-rings.com/tension-set-engagement-rings.html

and this:

https://beyond4cs.com/engagement-ring/tension-set-pros-and-cons/

Thanks, will read.

The Ivy and rose setting is +99 to modify to fit, +120 to set, + 150 or something like that for the larger size, making it around $900. Pooey.

I will talk to my jeweler in NOLA on Friday to see what he can do.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, will read.

The Ivy and rose setting is +99 to modify to fit, +120 to set, + 150 or something like that for the larger size, making it around $900. Pooey.

I will talk to my jeweler in NOLA on Friday to see what he can do.

Oh boo :( what if you find something from the Stuller catalogue?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say use David Klass or save the stone to be set later. No point in wasting money on a temp setting. The design from Ivy and Rose is good, but I'd have it made in nicer quality by DK.

I fairly much hate that tension setting and do not think it would do a thing to enhance the look of your stone. Sorry if that's too honest, but that's a long way off from your halo ideas!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results