shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone up for a challenge??

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My niece is turning 13 in May and will be celebrating her Bat Mitzvah (a Jewish rite of passage ceremony). I'd like to get her a piece of jewelry to mark the event.

Requirements:

Necklace or earrings
Budget $500 give or take
A piece that is appropriate now, but that will still be wearable into adulthood
White or rose gold
Diamonds (OEC a plus!), pearls or durable gemstone is great

I've been searching on eBay, Loupe Troop and Jewels by Grace, but I feel like I'm not coming up with much and know that you all are masters at finding those "needle in the haystack" pieces.

Thanks for your help!!

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Blue Nile has some great choices at that price point.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks urseberry! I've never shopped at Blue Nile, but that's a great idea!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Star of David Necklace?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mayk|1455471138|3991016 said:
Star of David Necklace?

I thought about that Mayk, but we live in the Deep South and I'd be concerned about her safety to be honest. I was once attacked for wearing a Star of David and while we live near a large city, where people are more educated (I was a teenager in a tiny town in rural TN), I'm not comfortable giving her a gift that might cause a problem. Pretty sad, huh?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1455471693|3991020 said:
Mayk|1455471138|3991016 said:
Star of David Necklace?

I thought about that Mayk, but we live in the Deep South and I'd be concerned about her safety to be honest. I was once attacked for wearing a Star of David and while we live near a large city, where people are more educated (I was a teenager in a tiny town in rural TN), I'm not comfortable giving her a gift that might cause a problem. Pretty sad, huh?

Awful! So sad you have to think that way. :nono:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lucky girl!

I'm doing .54 total weight diamond by the yard studs for my nieces. For 18 they get the matching pendant....around .40....unless I break down and do it for 16.

Perfect gift imo, that will be appropriate...forever!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
rocks|1455472875|3991030 said:
Lucky girl!

I'm doing .54 total weight diamond by the yard studs for my nieces. For 18 they get the matching pendant....around .40....unless I break down and do it for 16.

Perfect gift imo, that will be appropriate...forever!
Deets please. Where are you getting them and cost? TIA!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yenny, that hurts my heart that anyone would mistreat you or anyone for wearing a pendant that signifies their faith.

I think a 13 year old is too young to wear diamonds other than maybe the DBTY tiny studs if you could find them in budget.

I kind of would lean towards nice quality pearls as a classic gift for that age and beyond. These are on sale right now, too.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1941-mini-collection-akoya-pearl-pendant.aspx (AAA quality, around 7mm)

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1-60-65-mm-white-akoya-pearl-stud-earrings.aspx (AAA, studs a step smaller than the pendant)

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-35-60-65-mm-white-akoya-cultured-pearl-bracelet.aspx (This is tricky because 7" will be too large for many girls. You could have them make it in 6-6.5", but it then might not fit when older)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks DS and lookinagain. I agree that diamonds may not be appropriate. Pearls are a nice choice, although I have a beautiful strand with a matching necklace that I almost never wear. I like those DBTY earrings....I'll see what my sister thinks.

Thank you!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1455477577|3991059 said:
Thanks DS and lookinagain. I agree that diamonds may not be appropriate. Pearls are a nice choice, although I have a beautiful strand with a matching necklace that I almost never wear. I like those DBTY earrings....I'll see what my sister thinks.

Thank you!!

My college age daughter wears pearls a lot. I don't because I prefer diamonds! But pearls are very wearable and I see them a lot on girls in the south. I have seen my 15 year old niece in pics with a pearl bracelet.

But I think the little DBTY studs would be adorable! Maybe for HS graduation she could get the matching necklace. I still only give my youngest small cz pieces in sterling, because at college, things just can get lost so easily.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
My vote is for necklace instead of earrings. Earrings get lost at a much higher rate than necklaces, in my experience (I think I could find statistics to back me up!). Young teens are especially prone to losing jewelry. Just my 2 cents.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The diamonds were from a lot purchased for an eternity band...they are f color and vs clarity...and are not in budget. They were purchased from a non pricescope vendor. .40ish tw h or i si should be within your budget. As to whether or not small studs are appropriate for a 13 year old, it is cultural. We give a very special gift for bat mitzvah, intended for the young lady to grow into. Also, since they attend a significant number of bar and bat mitzvahs, they get worn. They are not intended to be every day earrings.....for now!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As always, PSers come through! EB, the pink pearl drop necklace is gorgeous, as is the initial necklace!

Sharon, I saw those earrings. They would be perfect if they were within budget. DS, yes...girls in the South do tend to wear pearls! :cheeky:

Rocks, I agree that diamond earrings would be for very special occasions at this point and my niece is attending bar/bat mitzvah's every weekend, so they'd certainly get use. Whatever I select, I'll probably get two of and hold onto for my other niece, who will share a B'Nai Mitzvah with my son in Jan. 2018. Just to be sure I can give them the same gift...

Thanks staceyjan!! Another great option! I like huggies!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Five leaf pendant by Whiteflash...sorry I couldn't attach file because I'm using my old mobile

Q

Queenie60

A silver Tiffany necklace? Or you could buy the silver charm bracelet with one charm and add to it for future gifts. The young teen girls and even girls into their 20s enjoy silver Tiffany pieces.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Queenie60|1455489779|3991129 said:
A silver Tiffany necklace? Or you could buy the silver charm bracelet with one charm and add to it for future gifts. The young teen girls and even girls into their 20s enjoy silver Tiffany pieces.

Great minds! She already has both of these (I got her the necklace for 5th grade graduation and my parents got her the other for Hanukkah)...

I like the 5 leaf pendant too. I think the IDJ dangles are a bit grown up. Maybe in a few years. ;))

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Lookinagain|1455476471|3991051 said:
I agree with the suggestion of pearl studs. I think they are ageless and classic. And a pearl pendant or bracelet is also great for a young girl.or even nice delicate pearl ring.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3550-romantic-collection-akoya-pearl-and-diamond-ring.aspx

I am so sorry to disagree. After being to over 100 bat mitzvah pearls is not the right match. Either a simple gold necklace with pendant or a star of david. Or a lot of the girl get Pandora bracelets with significant beads....Sorry about the pearl comments sort of an expert in this particular forum lol

I guess I should add that many do get tiffany silver pieces not my thing but many do like the key, bean or tiffany bracet. I don't fancy as I know the value of silver $14 an ounce and they are really paying for the brand.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Laila...I like that necklace...that's a contender!

Niel, I love that website!!! I didn't think about looking there for fine jewelry for a young girl, but they have some really pretty pieces!

Heididdl, I'd never heard of Tous, I'll check them out, thank you!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The last two bat mitzvah gifts I gave (this year) were a gold monogram necklace and a white gold diamond initial (similar to the Helen ficalora (spelling) pendants. The diamond necklace was for a close friend's daughter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results