shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Take OMEGA 3 Fish Oil Supplements?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Judah Gutwein

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Guys and Gals,

My nutritionist just instructed me to start taking OMEGA 3 "fish oil" pills, for increased energy and stuff...

I''ve never experimented with anything outside of the traditional Vitamin C and other such dietary supplements.
The fish oil thing sounds a bit creepy to me...

Do any of you take this stuff and can you help me out with respect to how it works for you....

PROS/CONS?

Thanks!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad takes them...but he''s 68 and a cancer survivor. I''ll ask him why his doc recommended them and let you know.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I do. I sampled a couple different brands from my local natural food store till I found one that didn''t give me the taste/feeling a hour later that''d I''d eaten fish. I think it makes a difference for me - there''s a lot of info you can find online about potential health benefits of this supplement.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
agreed, some taste funny. I use it for joint health. Don''t know that it works- i guess it does, I just abuse the body more than most.

Mariposa

Shiny_Rock
Hi Judah,

I''ve been on the Budwig Diet for several months now - cottage cheese and flaxseed oil (it has something to do with the biochemistry of this mixture). If you''re trying to incorporate Omega-3s into your diet, flaxseed oil is packed with it.

It has done nothing but good things for me - I''m currently fighting stage 4 colon cancer and my tumors have been stable for months now. I''m not usually one to buy into alternative medicine, but it''s been working for me!

Cheers!
Mariposa

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I take an omega-3, but it is flaxseed oil instead of the fish oil.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I take them daily. I know it's not proven but the fish oils really help my skin stay moisturized and healthy. I have seen the benefits in my hair as well. Since high cholesterol runs in my family, I also take them more for preventative measures.

I take capsules--not smelly, but they are pricey. I'll have to check when I get home which brand we use. FFIL buys them for us.

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Fish oil is amazing for your cardiovascular health
(decreases: arterial plaque formation, thrombosis, triglycerides, risk of arrhythmias, etc.)
Also, antiinflammatory

Flax seed, etc is good for Omega-3, but you want the fish oils to get this plus DHA

If you think its weird to take the supplement, eat the fish! (cold water fish)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take calcium, flaxseed oil, and cinnemon pills. The flaxseed and cinnemon do wonders for cholesterol (mine is normal, but it did wonders for hubby's) and the calcium is to prevent bone loss. My hubby went low carb and took flaxseed and cinnemon and his cholestrol went from 220 to 149!!! After that we both take them now.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Both sweet DH and I have been taking Omega 3 for quite some time now. My hair and skin always feel better, if nothign else.

I gag on most of it. And there are many grades of quality out there...my trainer once explained to me (because I wanted to know why we shouldn't be taking Cod Liver oil ) that CL oil is like scraping the oil off the hull of the fishing trawler....like the bottom of the barrell.

Anyhow, she's really picky and here is what we take:

Ascenta
Nutra Sea
Concentrated high EPA Omega-3 supplement
3:1 EPA/DHA

This product is considered "pharmaceutical grade" as opposed to CodLiverOil
2.gif

This leaves no after taste or burps....for me at least. Can be expensive but there is NO garbage additives in it.

Per 4 softgels:
Omega 3 2300 mg
EPA 1500 mg
DHA 500 mg
Other Omega-3 300 mg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve read enough positives for heart and brain health that we do buy them. Taking them regularly is the only problem!

But I looked up Consumer Reports article to find out safe brands, and the Kirkland brand carried by Costco was the most highly rated and value priced. I don''t have a Costco convenient to me, so I just order the Kirkland fish oil from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Fish-Oil-Omega-3/dp/B000EQU726/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1236914869&sr=8-2

One more bit of advice, take them before bed so you digest them while sleeping.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 11:30:33 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''ve read enough positives for heart and brain health that we do buy them. Taking them regularly is the only problem!

But I looked up Consumer Reports article to find out safe brands, and the Kirkland brand carried by Costco was the most highly rated and value priced. I don''t have a Costco convenient to me, so I just order the Kirkland fish oil from Amazon.
What are the safe brands? A year or so back, the Seattle Times ran an article where a bunch of fish oils were tested out and some came back as rancid. One of the brands was Garden of Life. I cannot recall the other ones.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I buy mine from Vital Choice. You can find them online. I like that they claim how natural and pure all their products are.

Pure Alaskan Salmon Oil, 2-3 per day.

softgels with no taste, no fillers

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
ditto the taking before bed, no fishy am burps that way. (was that tmi? sorry, just trying to save you from that.)

I think my hair and nails are stronger as a result of taking them, and thus far no heart attacks/disease.
28.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 1:12:44 PM
Author: Upgradable
I take an omega-3, but it is flaxseed oil instead of the fish oil.
Ditto.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I checked the brand this morning. I take LifeExtension.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
My DH and I are taking high dose fish oil (ZoneLabs 1600mg EPA/800 DHA) and have been for a few years off and on. My DH read several of Dr. Barry Sears' books about omega 3's and he got me to start taking them. He says it is to your body and joints like oil is to an engine. I really notice that my hair/skin/nails look better, I recover from workouts much quicker and it evens out my mood swings (and there are many more health benefits). I always take mine before bed so I don't notice the fishy aftertaste. Also, we usually stop taking them a couple of weeks before seeing the dentist because they do thin the blood. I 100% recommend them!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I take them for the omega 3 and 6 but mostly for the vitamin D.

OMACOR is an excellent brand, but I''m not sure if that''s available in the US.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tak Omega 3 fish oil in capsules to help with my dry skin and eyes. It doesn't smell fishy and seems to help with the dryness. I used to live by the coast and we'd eat fish 5 times a week. Now that I live inland, that's difficult to do so I have to supplement with capsules.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results