shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone know anything more about this ring? (Great Gatsby/Daisy Buchanan)

Niffler

Rough_Rock
I remember swooning over this ring back in 2013 when the movie came out and just happened across it once more. And, well... I'm swooning all over again!

I know Tiffany's did a lot of the jewelry for this film but I'm not sure if they did this engagement ring. I can't seem to find a lot of legitimate information on it. Lots of places say this is a cushion cut but it seems more like a slightly elongated radiant cut to me. Or is it a cushion in a cut-corner halo?

The cut corners are my favorite part of this ring because they seem so much more pronounced than I usually see in halos.

Daisy3.jpg
Daisy2.png
Daisy1.jpg
tumblr_mnozjxFoU71s06jnlo1_r1_500.gif

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Cut corner rectangular modified brilliant. How's that for a mouthful. Though I'll bet what she's actually wearing is paste. That being said.. in the 20's it would have probably been an Emerald cut of the time with the cut corners.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m pretty sure it’s an elongated cushion with a cut corner halo.

Niffler

Rough_Rock
@AV_ Just took a look at the Gem Concepts stones you mentioned. Those are gorgeous. Especially the vintage emerald cuts with those deep cut corners :whistle:

So after some more late night internet surfing, I found a 2013 blog entry where the writer went into a Tiffany's and asked if they had the same engagement ring from The Great Gatsby in stock. The sales associate told her that the ring had already been sold and was valued at $3.9 million! If that's true, I think paste is out of the question haha

Found this image on Tiffany's press site. A Lucida halo. I think this might be the closest I'll come to finding a clear photo of the exact ring used in the movie lol
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 12.36.40 PM.png

Also found on the press site, this image from the 2013 Blue Book Collection which was all Jazz Age/Art Deco inspired
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 1.09.25 PM.png

I haven't seen any images from Tiffany where the shape of the halo was different from the shape of the stone. That makes me lean towards Daisy's ring being a rectangular modified brilliant. I prefer antique cushions though... I wonder how an elongated antique cushion in a cut corner halo would look (more specifically, a VC cut corner Emilya!) :dance:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The Lucida is just another cut - small ones are drifting among the sea of no name diamonds.

The same cutter made a small version of the Tiffany Diamond's cut - less likely to be forgotten. If you want them to charge 1M/ct. for a novelty - it should be possible.

rambling

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Tiffany Soleste Emerald?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Tiffany Soleste Emerald?
Looks pretty close
tiffany-soleste-emerald-cut-30535898_1.0ct.jpg

https://www.tiffany.com/engagement/rings/tiffany-soleste-emerald-cut

Niffler

Rough_Rock
Yes, it's very close and so pretty. I just can't see that stone being a step cut based on the pics that are available of it tho. It doesn't give off that step cut "flash" of light sparkle in the movie either.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I’d read somewhere it was a cushion cut. One of the pics I saw showed it having a taller crown than modern cuts. I will see if I can find the pic I saw and come back and post it. Also, the halo - proportionally - appears thinner than the picture above.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you thinking about having one made?

We see lots of folks put rounds in cushion halos so they get the romantic look of a cushion with the performance of a H&A diamond.

I see no reason an elongated cushion couldn't be paired with a cut corner halo. David Klass could do a custom setting and I'm willing to bet you'd spend less than $3.9 million. ;)2

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it's very close and so pretty. I just can't see that stone being a step cut based on the pics that are available of it tho. It doesn't give off that step cut "flash" of light sparkle in the movie either.
I see the faint asscher pattern on the third photo you've posted when you click to magnify. I'm sure it probably doesn't matter what "cut" the diamond is, since it's the overall impression and the setting that you're enamored with.

Niffler

Rough_Rock
Are you thinking about having one made?

We see lots of folks put rounds in cushion halos so they get the romantic look of a cushion with the performance of a H&A diamond.

I see no reason an elongated cushion couldn't be paired with a cut corner halo. David Klass could do a custom setting and I'm willing to bet you'd spend less than $3.9 million. ;)2

Haha, that’s definitely true. And, yes, I’m considering having something like this made. It would be for my engagement ring which I was supposed to have already made a final decision on lol Thought I was settled with a solitaire design but then once I was about to let my bf know that was my choice, I started to get anxious about not having an Emilya halo. So now I’m debating if I should decide between an antique pear halo or an antique cushion in a cut corner like this ring. The only problem for me is that there is a very thin line between loving a cut corner halo and it not being my preference. I like the deeper/more exaggerated cut corners!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, that’s definitely true. And, yes, I’m considering having something like this made. It would be for my engagement ring which I was supposed to have already made a final decision on lol Thought I was settled with a solitaire design but then once I was about to let my bf know that was my choice, I started to get anxious about not having an Emilya halo. So now I’m debating if I should decide between an antique pear halo or an antique cushion in a cut corner like this ring. The only problem for me is that there is a very thin line between loving a cut corner halo and it not being my preference. I like the deeper/more exaggerated cut corners!

Gotcha.

There is something to be said for the classic solitaire. It's very timeless and classy IMO, especially when the right solitaire setting is picked.

When I started shopping for my fiancee, I wanted a more traditional design for her. I learned she liked more or less the complete opposite and even said she didn't like the others because everyone else had one. While she likes different there are also very fine lines between loving a design and disliking it. As such, it made it tough for me to find something I felt was the one.

I mention this only because as men we tend to be simple creatures and if he isn't on the same level as you then this may be difficult for him to nail it for you. Much easier to say Tiffany XYZ model, or whatever.

The caveat being once you tell him are you out of the picture, or still get to be active? Also not to be nosey or rude but does your budget support unique? I suppose to some degree you can make adjustments to make a budget work but would you be happy with those concessions? Also since you are bouncing between shapes, have you considered how shapes of equal carat weight can appear larger/smaller? And generally speaking fancy shapes normally need a little better color and clarity rating than a round. Maybe not big issues, but something to consider.

Niffler

Rough_Rock
@sledge My bf wanted the same thing for me when we first started looking at e-rings. Something classic and traditional. We had visited several Tiffany stores and he always loved the look of their classic platinum solitaire and, for a long time, I thought that was exactly what I wanted as well. But the more we looked at different styles and stones, the things I loved started to just grow in number and it's been difficult to commit to one style lol I have several close family members with a plain white metal, modern round solitaire so I would like to stay away from that for my own ring. Also, my bf really likes pears and antique cuts now too.

He wants me out of the picture once I tell him what ring I would like. He wants me to have the perfect ring but he also wants the proposal to have the surprise element as much as possible and I don't want to spoil that. He has asked me to give him all the details I possibly can beforehand about the ring, so I am doing my best to go with people that are trusted for the quality of their workmanship and their eye for beautiful stones to help him.

As far as budget, we discussed $15k but he'd be willing to go a little higher for the right ring. If I can stay with $15k and under, I would like to. My bf wants something around 2 carats and I've been told that antique cuts hold color well so we had talked about a warmer antique stone (J-L) that was creamy but not yellow. I wouldn't mind going a little smaller in carat weight for higher color, especially for a platinum halo design. I know I'd get a bigger look with a pear and my bf prefers pears at the moment. He always takes a while to warm up to a new look so he is so-so on the cut corner Gatsby ring as of right now lol I've seen @laurenk's antique pear in a VC halo and it honestly takes my breath away every time I look at it in the same way this Gatsby ring does so maybe I'll just leave the choice up to my bf. :think:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
@sledge My bf wanted the same thing for me when we first started looking at e-rings. Something classic and traditional. We had visited several Tiffany stores and he always loved the look of their classic platinum solitaire and, for a long time, I thought that was exactly what I wanted as well. But the more we looked at different styles and stones, the things I loved started to just grow in number and it's been difficult to commit to one style lol I have several close family members with a plain white metal, modern round solitaire so I would like to stay away from that for my own ring. Also, my bf really likes pears and antique cuts now too.

He wants me out of the picture once I tell him what ring I would like. He wants me to have the perfect ring but he also wants the proposal to have the surprise element as much as possible and I don't want to spoil that. He has asked me to give him all the details I possibly can beforehand about the ring, so I am doing my best to go with people that are trusted for the quality of their workmanship and their eye for beautiful stones to help him.

As far as budget, we discussed $15k but he'd be willing to go a little higher for the right ring. If I can stay with $15k and under, I would like to. My bf wants something around 2 carats and I've been told that antique cuts hold color well so we had talked about a warmer antique stone (J-L) that was creamy but not yellow. I wouldn't mind going a little smaller in carat weight for higher color, especially for a platinum halo design. I know I'd get a bigger look with a pear and my bf prefers pears at the moment. He always takes a while to warm up to a new look so he is so-so on the cut corner Gatsby ring as of right now lol I've seen @laurenk's antique pear in a VC halo and it honestly takes my breath away every time I look at it in the same way this Gatsby ring does so maybe I'll just leave the choice up to my bf. :think:

Oh so sweet! I adore my pear and still stare at it endlessly - I had my hand covering the eftpos machine recently when I bought groceries and the lady behind me said “I don’t think you need to worry about your PIN number, that ring takes the cake!!”

If you want any further details about my stone or setting let me know xx

Niffler

Rough_Rock
Oh so sweet! I adore my pear and still stare at it endlessly - I had my hand covering the eftpos machine recently when I bought groceries and the lady behind me said “I don’t think you need to worry about your PIN number, that ring takes the cake!!”

If you want any further details about my stone or setting let me know xx

I would love to take you up on that offer!! When I first saw your ring, I literally gasped out loud. It is one of the most beautiful rings I have ever seen. Please consider any photos you'd like to share welcome on any thread I create no matter the subject matter lol ;)2

I was wondering if you had made any special requests to Victor about your ring? I know he doesn't take requests for exact measurements on melee, but did you ask for a more delicate halo or did Victor just do his thing?

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to take you up on that offer!! When I first saw your ring, I literally gasped out loud. It is one of the most beautiful rings I have ever seen. Please consider any photos you'd like to share welcome on any thread I create no matter the subject matter lol ;)2

I was wondering if you had made any special requests to Victor about your ring? I know he doesn't take requests for exact measurements on melee, but did you ask for a more delicate halo or did Victor just do his thing?

I spoke to Victor about my stone and he actually came up with a completely unique design for her but my heart was set on the Emilya. I definitely wanted a delicate halo, and opted for single cut melee to better match my Antique pear. I’ll pull up the valuation from victor tomorrow where it sheds exactly what he he did, I can’t recall the metal but believe it to be a mixture of platinum and something.......

I have a few threads on my pear and victor posted a YouTube video when he finished making her, you can search in YouTube Victor Canera antique pear and have s scroll

Niffler

Rough_Rock
I spoke to Victor about my stone and he actually came up with a completely unique design for her but my heart was set on the Emilya. I definitely wanted a delicate halo, and opted for single cut melee to better match my Antique pear. I’ll pull up the valuation from victor tomorrow where it sheds exactly what he he did, I can’t recall the metal but believe it to be a mixture of platinum and something.......

I have a few threads on my pear and victor posted a YouTube video when he finished making her, you can search in YouTube Victor Canera antique pear and have s scroll

If that isn't too much trouble, that would be so lovely and helpful! Thank you so much :) Also, just saw the video on Youtube... your ring really is a dream.

@hobbitfancier55 That is such a unique stone! Reminds me of Eva Fehren's style of jewelry, which I think is so cool.

@Jimmianne Yes, I found that ring recently too! I'd love to see it in person and try it on.

mrsdavis

Rough_Rock
Trade
I actually had my engagement ring fashioned after her ring. 4.2 carat asscher cut with a halo setting and half micro paved band for a total carat weight of 4.5.
i know in my photo it’s a bit dirty, have to find a chance to clean it but I think it matched pretty well. 6E62B5BF-BF2C-4C9B-A308-AC4DD5E0E01A.jpeg

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
You could ask over at The Vintage/Anyique forum, but I don’t know that a full halo of that melee gauge or eternity band of micro pave that size is even period correct if you’re going for a true Art Deco feel. It is beautiful, no doubt, but I think that type of micro pave full band setting is a modern ‘take’ on Art Deco. I’ve never seen an original piece with pave that small - such as what’s in the Legacy collection.

My recollection (could be wrong) is that full 58 facet modern round brills could not be cut at that size by hand, that they are a computer assisted machine cut. A stone of that size in a period piece would more likely be single cut. And as for the setting they’d likely be calibre or invisible set.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I actually had my engagement ring fashioned after her ring. 4.2 carat asscher cut with a halo setting and half micro paved band for a total carat weight of 4.5.
i know in my photo it’s a bit dirty, have to find a chance to clean it but I think it matched pretty well. 6E62B5BF-BF2C-4C9B-A308-AC4DD5E0E01A.jpeg

This thread is almost 2 years old.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results