shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone in LA with an ASET scope?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

This may be a long shot but over my years of lurking I've seen some wonderful acts of community service from PSers so giving it a try!
Rather long story but the crux of it is:

- I don't live in America
- I bought a diamond from a US vendor in a bit of a rush without seeing an ASET or other images apart from a 360 video
- The diamond was sent directly to David Klass for setting
- I'm having a panic about whether the diamond is a good performer and DK can't do an ASET image for me
- By the time I receive the ring the diamond will be outside the return period

Does anyone know of anyone in the LA area who could drop by DK's place and take an ASET for me?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I’m not in LA or I would try to help you. Is this the oval Astor cut you bought? It looks gorgeous from the BN video.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
What are your concerns with your diamond, CalliopeCladdagh?

My 2 main concerns are:

1. Symmetry - the arrows don't appear to meet as well in the middle as other ovals in this cut. Will it leak in the middle?
Why didn't I choose one of those others? They were either too low in colour for my comfort (not being able to see in person) or outside my budget. But perhaps I should have waited and saved more $? Or maybe an I colour with a better cut would have been a better idea since better cut will hide the colour to some degree anyway?
Also because it's GIA certified rather than AGS like some similar ovals, I don't have as many proportions recorded on the cert to help judge performance.

2. Fire - will it have lots of it?

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not in LA or I would do it.

I’m not sure where @kenny is from exactly but for some reason I seem to recall CA. Granted, it’s a big state but maybe he’s close. Also he does some amazing photo work.

Other ideas. Have you asked DK if there is a local (to him) jeweler that can assist with the imaging for a small fee? He works with so many folks and vendors it’s hard to imagine he doesn’t have someone that could help out, even if it comes with a small expense of shipping and image fees.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I’m not in LA or I would do it.

I’m not sure where @kenny is from exactly but for some reason I seem to recall CA. Granted, it’s a big state but maybe he’s close. Also he does some amazing photo work.

Other ideas. Have you asked DK if there is a local (to him) jeweler that can assist with the imaging for a small fee? He works with so many folks and vendors it’s hard to imagine he doesn’t have someone that could help out, even if it comes with a small expense of shipping and image fees.

If DK is willing to do that, then Victor Canera comes to mind.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If DK is willing to do that, then Victor Canera comes to mind.

I was thinking the same when I posted earlier but was hesitant to name them because vendors are sometimes finicky with that stuff. Might be more of a favor off the books sort of deal so the masses don’t start asking in volume.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking the same when I posted earlier but was hesitant to name them because vendors are sometimes finicky with that stuff. Might be more of a favor off the books sort of deal so the masses don’t start asking in volume.

100% agree... Victor Canera does hold an extremely strong reputation, so the realistic chances of assessing an outside diamond is likely to be 0%

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Check out the Brian Gavin oval cut. It looks like it's coming from the same cutting house, so I genuinely wouldn't have any concerns. These are the best ovals I've seen. That video looks better than -many- rounds I see vendors listing as ideal or even super-ideal cut

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't worry too much about these ovals because the mains (arrows) take up so much of the area under the table. What I see in
the background of the arrows are virtual facets which are normal. The crown looks high and the table is relatively small so I think you
will see a fair amount of fire.

@Karl_K what say you???

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not in LA, but I'm within a few hours and have an ASET. I'm happy to mail the scope to DK for him to take pics of your stone and then get the scope mailed back to me.

@CalliopeCladdagh

Edit. The last time I mailed stuff to DK it only took like 1-2 days because we are so close

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think ASET will help a lot, the biggest downfall of these is they are over dark from obstruction unless carefully cut not to.
You can see that with eyes ASET does not do a good job of identifying it..
The second is leakage between the arrows on the long end. This ASET will show it but you can see it without ASET.
This can be seen by looking/taking a pic of the diamond over a bright colored reflective surface in flatish lighting.
Pepsi bottle wrapper red is perfect for this.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd tell DK to get an ASET scope and learn how to use it to take ASET pics correctly.
If DK refuses I'd take my money elsewhere.

There are lots of good vendors out there who proudly show off the cut of their stones with ASET, Ideal, and H&A scopes.

It's shameful we civilians have to run around to do DK work to to sell DK goods.
We're to do DK's work so DK can make all the profit?
I don't think so. :nono:
Is there something DK wants to hide about the cut of DK's diamonds? Hmmm. :think:

It's not that I don't want to help the OP.
It's that I won't do DK's job for them.
DK is not a charity I care to donate my time to.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I'd tell DK to get an ASET scope and learn how to take ASET pics correctly, otherwise I'll take my money elsewhere.

It's shameful we civilians have to run around to do what DK should be doing to sell their goods.
But we have to do it so DK can make money off our work? :nono:
Is there something DK wants to hide about the cut of their diamonds? Hmmm. :think:

There are lots of good vendors out there who proudly show off the cut of their stones with ASET, Ideal, and H&A scopes.

It's not that I don't want to help the OP.
It's that I don't want to DK's job for them.

I understand your sentiment, but in this particular case, I believe the diamond was purchased from Blue Nile (Astor Oval), shipped to DK to be set, then the finished ring will be shipped overseas.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand your sentiment, but in this particular case, I believe the diamond was purchased from Blue Nile (Astor Oval), shipped to DK to be set, then the finished ring will be shipped overseas.

Then I have the exact same response for Bluenile ........ and DK.
Diamond vendors should have ASET, IS and H&A tools, and know how to use them correctly for pics.
IMO PSers should shun vendors to don't offer these services, even if they are ... so-called PS vendors.
How else can we force the diamond industry to transition from cutting for weight to cutting for light performance?
We have money they want, so let's leverage it, and tell them what we're doing !!!!!

These diamond vendors who take our money without providing proper service should not be patronized by PS members, because we are among the best-informed on the elephant in the diamond-buying living room ......... light performance.

It's up to us to use our buying power to force these vendors to clean up their acts and bring their service up to this minimum standard.

This is the crap that Zales, Kay and other maul jewelers get away with on the unwashed masses.
I can't imagine PS members supporting such "vendors". :((

Last edited:

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I'm not in LA, but I'm within a few hours and have an ASET. I'm happy to mail the scope to DK for him to take pics of your stone and then get the scope mailed back to me.

@CalliopeCladdagh

Edit. The last time I mailed stuff to DK it only took like 1-2 days because we are so close
That's so kind, but I'm not sure how I would reimburse you for shipping and also not sure how comfortable DK would be using the scope.

I don't think ASET will help a lot, the biggest downfall of these is they are over dark from obstruction unless carefully cut not to.
You can see that with eyes ASET does not do a good job of identifying it..
The second is leakage between the arrows on the long end. This ASET will show it but you can see it without ASET.
This can be seen by looking/taking a pic of the diamond over a bright colored reflective surface in flatish lighting.
Pepsi bottle wrapper red is perfect for this.
Thank you @Karl_K do you see any major darkness/obstruction issues with this stone?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your responses which are helping talk me off the ledge. I have, among other things, an anxiety disorder and a purchase of this magnitude and in these circumstances is a challenge for me.

I'll admit I was less than impressed with Blue Nile's customer service and would have preferred to go with Brian Gavin or another vendor. Ultimately Blue Nile had the specs I was looking for within my budget so I was in that sense 'forced' to go with them.

I also want to say that DK is COMPLETELY BLAMELESS in this situation and has been nothing but courteous. It's not his responsibility to check a diamond that I purchased elsewhere and asked him to set.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CalliopeCladdagh I don't think you owe an explanation for your request, nor should you have to defend either BN or DK.

I would like to apologize to you because I feel your anxiety was amplified by my asking @kenny to participate and then his harsh response. It's not my job to judge others but I didn't expect that response, and even though I understand the basis for his frustrations I don't believe this thread was the time or place.

I apologize that as a community we weren't able to handle this more delicately. :(2

DiamondWhiteCat

Rough_Rock
Has David agreed to take the photograph if you can provide the scope? Or are you hoping someone here can photograph it for you?

Elongated shapes don't sit well in the plastic tray that goes with the ASET scope and it's really difficult to do with tweezers. It's a tricky job.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
@CalliopeCladdagh I don't think you owe an explanation for your request, nor should you have to defend either BN or DK.

I would like to apologize to you because I feel your anxiety was amplified by my asking @kenny to participate and then his harsh response. It's not my job to judge others but I didn't expect that response, and even though I understand the basis for his frustrations I don't believe this thread was the time or place.

I apologize that as a community we weren't able to handle this more delicately. :(2
I appreciate your message, thank you, however there is truly no need to apologise!

Has David agreed to take the photograph if you can provide the scope? Or are you hoping someone here can photograph it for you?

Elongated shapes don't sit well in the plastic tray that goes with the ASET scope and it's really difficult to do with tweezers. It's a tricky job.
I was hoping someone comfortable with a scope could do it as David has said he is unable. He has however kindly agreed to take a video of the diamond for me which I will try to share here when I get it.

I'm hoping being able to see a video will ease my nerves and I'll be able to get on with getting it set. I'm telling myself to keep it in perspective - a diamond is a luxury item at the end of the day. I'm trying to just be grateful for what I have (or will soon have!)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry for the hijack C!
I have just got all the parts to assemble for a new light - and it has an oval and rectangular hole :)
It is mounted on a rechargeable LED light designed for inside wardrobes etc but works perfectly:
1683256878205.png

Only problem is it will need to be $40-$45.
What do yo'all think?

Years ago we were able to buy up all the leftover 35mm slide viewers and had replacement plates drilled with 2 holes. But no one uses film anymore!
IL with beginner and GH 000 reduced.jpg

DiamondWhiteCat

Rough_Rock
I appreciate your message, thank you, however there is truly no need to apologise!

I was hoping someone comfortable with a scope could do it as David has said he is unable. He has however kindly agreed to take a video of the diamond for me which I will try to share here when I get it.

I'm hoping being able to see a video will ease my nerves and I'll be able to get on with getting it set. I'm telling myself to keep it in perspective - a diamond is a luxury item at the end of the day. I'm trying to just be grateful for what I have (or will soon have!)

My partner has a ASET scope and he's due a trip to see David, but he couldn't take the photo. We bought it to take a photo of a marquise diamond and it took us lot of trial and error to get a decent picture. Days really to get one that was square enough to be useful and even then it wasn't perfect.

I don't think he could take a picture reliably for you, I'm sorry. I hope the video he takes helps and you feel reassured. He's seen a lot of diamonds! I'm sure he would know a stinker if he saw one. I would trust his judgement.

Sorry for the hijack C!
I have just got all the parts to assemble for a new light - and it has an oval and rectangular hole :)
It is mounted on a rechargeable LED light designed for inside wardrobes etc but works perfectly:
1683256878205.png

Only problem is it will need to be $40-$45.
What do yo'all think?

Years ago we were able to buy up all the leftover 35mm slide viewers and had replacement plates drilled with 2 holes. But no one uses film anymore!
IL with beginner and GH 000 reduced.jpg

We would have probably bought it if it was available at the time (and if it had a marquise shaped hole!). I'm not sure we would have needed the back light truthfully, I'm not sure what benefit it would have over a phone. But the tray would have been really useful.

We tried all kinds of weird set ups to photograph a marquise. We tried enlarging the hole in your perspex plate, balancing it on the side of a clear plastic raspberry pi case that had cut outs, making grooves out of clear pieces of sellotape then trying to find ways of making them stand up!

If I had access to a laser cutter, I'm sure I could have made something very easily and cheaply. But I wasn't able to get my hands on one right then.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My partner has a ASET scope and he's due a trip to see David, but he couldn't take the photo. We bought it to take a photo of a marquise diamond and it took us lot of trial and error to get a decent picture. Days really to get one that was square enough to be useful and even then it wasn't perfect.

I don't think he could take a picture reliably for you, I'm sorry. I hope the video he takes helps and you feel reassured. He's seen a lot of diamonds! I'm sure he would know a stinker if he saw one. I would trust his judgement.

We would have probably bought it if it was available at the time (and if it had a marquise shaped hole!). I'm not sure we would have needed the back light truthfully, I'm not sure what benefit it would have over a phone. But the tray would have been really useful.

We tried all kinds of weird set ups to photograph a marquise. We tried enlarging the hole in your perspex plate, balancing it on the side of a clear plastic raspberry pi case that had cut outs, making grooves out of clear pieces of sellotape then trying to find ways of making them stand up!

If I had access to a laser cutter, I'm sure I could have made something very easily and cheaply. But I wasn't able to get my hands on one right then.
I made this fun video during Covid lockdowns. See if that helps?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice video Einstein!:clap:

I think we all were a little bored during Covid shutdown...at least you were being productive!

DiamondWhiteCat

Rough_Rock
I made this fun video during Covid lockdowns. See if that helps?

I'm a big fan of your ASET scope and your channel, I think we've watched most of your videos! :) That video was really helpful. The blu tack tip especially, it's one less thing to have to try to hold aligned in the correct position.

It was more that the marquise diamond just wouldn't sit flat in the tray designed for rounds, than taking the picture itself.

I've been looking back at our pictures, most of them have a bit of a tilt. It looks like the better pictures were using the perspex pi case with too large holes. A piece of clear cellophane folded into a groove, a bit like people do with a piece of paper to look at diamonds wasn't too bad.

Tweezers were fine for viewing, but one person doesn't have enough hands to take a photo that way. It's also much more difficult for a novice to work out if the diamond is the right distance from the scope that way, we noticed that changed the colours of the patterns a lot.

I think at one point, we had the diamond face down on a piece of glass, with the scope under the glass looking up at the diamond. I'm sure you would have found it quite amusing if you had been a fly on the wall for that one :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results