shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have exactly same set done in different metal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone had a ring re-done "exactly the same" only in a different metal. Example: going from yellow gold to white or platnuim? If so how long did it take and was it real expensive? Also, any recommendation of vendors who do this?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi:

Check out the upgraded rings thread right beside this one. She changed her set from yellow gold to plat and has before and after pics.

Good luck,

Heather

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/1/2005 9:31:09 AM
Author:woobug02
Has anyone had a ring re-done ''exactly the same'' only in a different metal. Example: going from yellow gold to white or platnuim? If so how long did it take and was it real expensive? Also, any recommendation of vendors who do this?
I was looking at a A Jaffe ring that was white gold and they can make the same exact ring in Platinum. Prices vary depending on the cost of Platinum at the time. For the ring I was looking at it was about 1K+ more than the white gold.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have a white gold bar-set princess cut anniversary band that I wanted in platinum to match all my other rings in color/weight etc, so I asked a local jeweler for a quote. He quoted me $1000 to cast the mold and make it in platinum, using my diamonds from the original ring. I thought that was expensive, because I can buy another princess anniversary band in platinum for a couple hundred more....so I passed. The jeweler said that since it''s considered a custom job, including resetting fees etc, he thought it was very fair. I think the only way to know how much it''ll cost is to bring an actual ring to show the jeweler. They''ll charge more if there''s more diamonds to reset, vs just a plain solitaire type ring.

MauiTikii

Rough_Rock
Hi Ronda - as Heather mentioned, I had my rings re-done from 14K Yellow to Platinum. Here is the link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgraded-rings.33050/

I wanted my wedding band to be exactly the same. My jeweler was lucky enough to find my same exact setting in one of their mounting books which saved me money as they did not have to custom make the mounting. I already had the diamonds and it was a perfect match. My jeweler is a personal friend of somebody I know so I think I saved some money. The price to have the wedding band done was a little bit under $1000. They even matched my original engraving (names, wedding date). Due to a jewelry trade show and the time I started this, it took about a 1 1/2 weeks to complete (normally it would have been a few days).

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
WOOOOOOOOOOO

GREAT! Thank you :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Jennalyns did, maybe...I know someone did and posted about it. I wish I could think of who...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I am pretty sure that ame is right!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2005 6:20:13 PM
Author: icekid
I am pretty sure that ame is right!
Yes, I think she reacted to the white gold so she switched to platinum. (And she upgraded the stone in the process.)

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
Ronda,

Hi! Yep, I had my ring copied in platinum, from white gold. The white gold on my old ring (from a mall jeweler) turned yellow on me very quickly, and I didn''t want to have to replate every 3 months. It was driving me crazy! We had Whiteflash do the copy. It was very reasonably priced. The ring turned out well, and we were happy with the final result.

The main issues I had were that it took a lot longer than they quoted me, and the first time they changed the design, so I had them re-do it. From my final decision to finish, including shipping times and having it redone, it took a little over two months; the final ring took one month from when they received the old one, to me receiving the new one. Something I never posted about was that the final ring''s metal very slightly uneven around the openings on the sides of the bezel; It was a little thing and I''m sure WF would have cleaned it up for me if I had said anything about it to them, but I felt like I was being anal and didn''t want to bother them so I had it cleaned up by Wink, since he had done a repair for me in the past- I knew his repair work was good and wouldn''t take very long.

The final result was exactly what we wanted and I love it, well worth the long wait! Denise was incredible, she was patient with my million emails and when my fiance and I were unhappy with the first result, she made it painless (there was no cost to me) to have it redone. I also thought it was cool that she got so excited for me when it was finally done.
9.gif
In all my fiance and I were both very happy. We will probably buy his wedding ring from them, sometime before the wedding (in July!).

My recommendation is, if you are going to change metals, allow more time than the 7-10 days that most vendors quote, and remember it will not be "exactly" the same. I was quite hung up on that, and I didn''t understand why they couldn''t make it "exact"- apparently they have to change it a little because of copyrights, and also I was told my ring is handmade so there will little variations. My new ring isn''t "exactly" the same, but it is extremely close and the tiny differences don''t bother me.

I''ve attached a picture showing the original ring first, then the first remake, and then the final product. This link has some pictures of the final ring:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/better-pictures.29545/=

This link shows the first attempt, the one I sent back:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-ring-need-advice.27787/=

I also had a pendant made from Wink (www.winkjones.com), it was a stock setting with a custom head, and I was very happy with their service and craftsmanship. I also had them do a couple of repairs for me, and they did a wonderful job. I think their prices are about the same as Whiteflash.

Sorry that was so long! Good luck with your decision!

sidesthreerings12345.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results