shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone following the Murdaugh family murders in South Carolina?

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
So now, or maybe I didnt pick up on this earlier, they are insinuating that Murdoch may have killed the housekeeper to get money.
No autopsy was performed and the manner of death was listed as "natural" when it should have been "accidental" if it happened
as they said it did (which who believes anything they say at this point)???

I heard they may exhume the housekeeper's body to see if they can tell what happened.

I'm feeling sorry for anyone who knew this family or came into contact with them!

I think the insinuation is that the son, Paul, intentionally pushed the housekeeper in a fit of anger, and that the father, Alex, used his influence to cover it up. He then orchestrated the insurance scheme to hush the housekeepers family and net out a huge payment for himself and his friend (the attorney for the housekeepers family.) A passenger on the boat reportedly said that Paul intentionally pushed the boat full throttle and turned away with a smirk because he was pissed off at the other passengers for sticking up for Paul's girlfriend, whom he had just struck.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But why didn't the housekeeper's family make a stink when they didn't receive any money? Do you think they were threatened or
something? Wonder if Murdock had anything over them?

So, kind of not feeling bad that Paul is gone. He sounds like an awful person! I was wondering why the other guys didnt
stick up for his GF. I guess they were trying. :(sad

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
But why didn't the housekeeper's family make a stink when they didn't receive any money? Do you think they were threatened or
something? Wonder if Murdock had anything over them?

So, kind of not feeling bad that Paul is gone. He sounds like an awful person! I was wondering why the other guys didnt
stick up for his GF. I guess they were trying. :(sad

The way I understand it is that they had no knowledge that a settlement had even been reached in their case. Their attorney, the good friend of Alex, apparently did not notify them. Also, there is some question to the authenticity of the judge's (another co-hort of Alex's) signature.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn’t that family finally fess up it was a ruse?
The Lutz family I mean.

I don't know. The Murdaugh saga is a horror show on a whole 'nother level.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I'm interested in the murders. Alex Murdock , in plain speak, is a thief. I think that is evident. His law license has been suspended.
There were two different weapons used in the murders. They were killed in different places on the property. The guns were a shotgun and a rifle. Would they be used for hunting.? The property was a Hunting Lodge that Alex insured as a business according to the insurance Co. What if persons were on the property hunting and Paul yelled at them. Maybe they were total strangers, drunk and shot Paul first and then looked for witnesses, and found the Mother. Or:

As Matata suggested earlier perhaps this was revenge for the boating accident.

Annette

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or maybe Alex just used two different guns in two different locations on the property to throw law enforcement off for awhile. I would love to think that he didn’t kill his family but he was desperate for money. It wouldn’t be the first time…

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the insinuation is that the son, Paul, intentionally pushed the housekeeper in a fit of anger, and that the father, Alex, used his influence to cover it up. He then orchestrated the insurance scheme to hush the housekeepers family and net out a huge payment for himself and his friend (the attorney for the housekeepers family.) A passenger on the boat reportedly said that Paul intentionally pushed the boat full throttle and turned away with a smirk because he was pissed off at the other passengers for sticking up for Paul's girlfriend, whom he had just struck.

We must have read the same article @RMOO. Paul sounded like a horrible human being that never had a consequence for anything in his entire life.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
It has been reported this morning that the wife, Maggie, had recently seen a divorce attorney, and had started looking into the marital assets to explore the potential settlement.

With Alex Murdaugh's penchant for scheming coverups, I don't think it is outside the realm of reason that he could have killed, or had someone else kill, his wife, either to keep her from uncovering the law firm embezzlement, anger over the impending divorce/settlement $$, or to collect on any life insurance policies he may have had on her. The son may have been wrong place/wrong time, collateral damage. Then concocted the attempted murder/suicide to throw suspicion off of himself.

It sure seems as though he uses insurance policies as his own personal money tree.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Alex killed Paul and Maggie.
1) Paul’s upcoming trial was going to cost a fortune and Alex’s financial crimes would come to light.
2) I believe he had placed all of the assets in Maggie’s name so if she died, they would go back to him. (Assume)
3) he would get life insurance money on both of them.
4) Paul’s troubles would go away with his death.

I got sidetracked on the Gabby Petito case, so I haven’t been following this one at all.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this. I think his life is about to unravel. I was surprised to hear that he was in Florida though. Thought he would stay at the homestead in SC - looks even fishier that he went to Florida!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see now that he was in Florida at a drug rehab facility. He was arrested upon his release.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

First, let me say that I read the police have said Alex has an airtight alibi for the time of the murder. He was with other people at the time. He also had the insurance money that he kept from the housekeepers death so was not in dire need of the money. I just don't understand why the insurer sent him the money, or, the insurer sent the money to the attorney (which would be usual), and the attorney sent it to Alex.
I think the killing is most probably random. No real intent.
I guess I didn't realize what an Ole Boy network is really like. Kinda scary for a small group of people having so much control and influence in a region. Alex Murdock's Fall from Grace. It might make a good book.

Annette

Annette

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think Alex having an alibi means anything. He could have easily paid someone to kill his wife and son and set it up to look like it could have been anyone who committed the murders. The family had many enemies. Heck Alex paid someone to shot him in the head so how is Alex paying to kill other people a stretch.

If Alex was as well connected in that town as is being reported he is, he probably found out his wife had seen a divorce attorney. It sounds like these people were corrupt and terrible people in all aspects of their lives. His wife had to know about the housekeeper’s family never receiving the money from the accident.

it will be very interesting to see how all this plays out. I hope his trial is somewhere where he has no influence. From what has been reported so far it seems everyone in the town knew this family was untouchable.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI - The Murdaugh story will be on tonight’s 48 Hours episode.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anyone else looking forward to the 20/20, Dateline and 48 hours episode about this? Heck this could be a 4 hour episode with all the twists and turns. Do you also think a book will be written telling this story?

Murdaugh Murders: Deadly Dynsasty .... June 19 at 9pm (EST) on ID

My DVR stops at 6/18 so I can't set it to record yet... how is that for timing. I hope I remember to record it when it gets closer. I am interested in watching this.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Listening to the podcast Murdaugh Murders with Mandy Matney - she is reporting there is video of Alex at the property right before Paul and Maggie were murdered, Paul was recording something and Alex and Maggie are in the background. So much for that alibi. It is only a matter of time before the arrest happens for their murders.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been in Ireland but I saw something where the housekeeper’s family is exhuming her body to have an autopsy done. If you remember, she ”fell“ down the stairs and there was a settlement in which Alex kept some… IIRC

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been in Ireland but I saw something where the housekeeper’s family is exhuming her body to have an autopsy done. If you remember, she ”fell“ down the stairs and there was a settlement in which Alex kept some… IIRC

I read this too. Apparently, no autopsy was done at the time, which is unorthodox due to the fact that she died at home. And then, the death certificate noted a cause of death as natural causes, instead of (you would presume if the story of the fall is true) accidental. In addition, Murdaugh didn't just keep some of the settlement money, he kept ALL of it. They didn't even know a settlement was reached. I believe there are at least two other lawsuits out there, where he is being sued (as well as the attorney friend who handled the cases) because of similar actions: he convinces the victim's family to sue his insurance company, using his friend as counsel, who then convinces the family to allow him to handle the financial end. They reach a settlement, receive payment, deposit funds into a fraudulent account, that they have access to, and the family doesn't even know a settlement has occurred.

Edited to include link to list of cases wherein Alex Murdaugh is listed as defendant.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news...cle_971dc258-e692-11ec-bb25-fb41a02d7a87.html

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw that NBC was reporting the same thing supposedly based on new evidence. Can’t wait to hear the new evidence but he and his family have been advised of the forthcoming charges.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet Buster gets thrown under the bus as the supposed mastermind and true guilty party, by Alex and his defense team.
And Alex was only being an undercover hero trying to cover for Buster.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex is really a POS...Buster should feel lucky that he has survived this whole ordeal. Surprised Alex didn't try to kill all 3 of them in a car
accident or house fire!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not sure Buster is any angel, since there is a rumor floating about that the gay young man found dead in the middle of the road near their home, had actually been in a relationship with Buster.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results