shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone following the Murdaugh family murders in South Carolina?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Long story short:

Family has had long held power in the area and are rich.

Jerk son #2 Paul was a teen drunk and had an extreme drunk boating accident that killed a beautiful young woman (either 17 or 19).

Paul and his mother were both murdered on their property in June. Currently unsolved.

The other day someone tried to execute the dad while he was changing his tire on a rural road, but he only has a bullet graze to the head and is expected to fully survive and is talking and conscious.

Paul has been implicated in two other murders: one of a gay teen found dead on the road. The other was their housekeeper who “fell” down a flight of steps in the Murdaugh house. (Rumor is Paul pushed her).
Both of those cases were ruled accidental by police and cases closed.

This is a lifetime movie in the making

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It kinda seems like Paul was a serial killer. Much talk about how maybe his father killed him because Paul was such a liability to the family and was dangerous. Perhaps Paul killed his mother and his father killed Paul? So much speculation on the internet with many interesting theories.

I find it hard to feel sorry for this family.

I would be hiding if I were the oldest son.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating stuff!!! I just googled!

Could it be that one of the victims' family members went and took them out vigilante style? Especially if the family was bailing out the son.

Either way, juicy stuff. I read that they (the family) controlled the prosecutions office for a while?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to do a deep dive maybe today and I’ll put up some links. I’ll try to start with the teen murdered since his mother NEVER believed it was an accident and the case was recently reopened.

I think that was the farthest ago incident….

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
8A3898EA-9A52-406E-85B9-7FF069C30848.jpeg

Buster, Maggie, Paul, Alex Murdaugh

F2063987-8695-447F-8661-4936760A3D72.jpeg
The housekeeper Gloria Satterfield, the teen who was gay, Stephen Smith, and the young woman who died in the boating accident, Mallory Beach.

(I mention gay because it might have been a hate crime)

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Well if he really was a killer then somebody did the law's job for them (as it usually seems to be when the rich and influential are involved - only vigilante justice or reporter expose get them)

The LGBT teen case definitely sounds like murder. I hope that the policemen that helped cover it up get charged with being accessories to murder since they're essentially doing that.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other day someone tried to execute the dad while he was changing his tire on a rural road,

If I were in full conspiracy mode, I'd suspect that the dad wounded himself for some reason only he knows -- perhaps to deflect attention from his responsibility in the murders of son/mother. It's a stretch, but not impossible, to believe that whoever wants to exterminate this family watches them 24/7 and managed to be around the day the dad just happened to decide to take a rural, low traffic road and got a flat tire.

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
If I were in full conspiracy mode, I'd suspect that the dad wounded himself for some reason only he knows -- perhaps to deflect attention from his responsibility in the murders of son/mother. It's a stretch, but not impossible, to believe that whoever wants to exterminate this family watches them 24/7 and managed to be around the day the dad just happened to decide to take a rural, low traffic road and got a flat tire.

I would go full conspiracy theory mode and speculate that the flat tire was deliberately sabotaged... presumably the guy had a routine (driving rural roads is not uncommon), and the exterminator has figured it out.

While we're in the same mode... I'd also say that it's possible that this person might have had close ties to someone that worked for the family (ie. housekeeper), to get info on how exactly to get into their estate undetected. It was mentioned that the bodies were found near the dog kennels - nothing mentioned about dogs barking / alerting the police although obviously no details

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also say that it's possible that this person might have had close ties to someone that worked for the family (ie. housekeeper), to get info on how exactly to get into their estate undetected.

There is one son still alive? Buster? Hmmmmm.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go full conspiracy theory mode and speculate that the flat tire was deliberately sabotaged... presumably the guy had a routine (driving rural roads is not uncommon), and the exterminator has figured it out.

While we're in the same mode... I'd also say that it's possible that this person might have had close ties to someone that worked for the family (ie. housekeeper), to get info on how exactly to get into their estate undetected. It was mentioned that the bodies were found near the dog kennels - nothing mentioned about dogs barking / alerting the police although obviously no details

Apparently no security cameras on the property either, which someone had to have known.

I would have assumed there were, and maybe some unseen trail cams too.

It leads me to believe the killer(s) of Paul and Maggie knew there were no cameras.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karma is a b****

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Today’s moral quandary - would you rather your child was murdered or was a murderer? Horrible sequence of events regardless of what the truth proves to be. Tragic.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8A3898EA-9A52-406E-85B9-7FF069C30848.jpeg

Buster, Maggie, Paul, Alex Murdaugh

Wow how did they get this picture from the 1950s?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow how did they get this picture from the 1950s?

It’s the fur for me. I do have faux (try to make sure it isn’t dog fur as I found out that can happen)…. But I have never liked fur coats and would never own one (I think they stink… they smell funny).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today’s moral quandary - would you rather your child was murdered or was a murderer? Horrible sequence of events regardless of what the truth proves to be. Tragic.

Also, as I have been thinking today— if you were a rich and powerful family and you know your son is a serial killer, would you take him out to save the rest of the family?

but that doesn’t explain how Maggie ended up dead

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you were a rich and powerful family and you know your son is a serial killer, would you take him out to save the rest of the family?

No, you would get him help -- whatever combination of counseling and prison that entailed.

Family "loyalty" that transcends or thwarts the legal and criminal justice system is just organized crime. Of course that need not keep you out of the highest office in some countries.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a horrible true crime story on all fronts.

that said - here’s my casting suggestion for the upcoming lifetime or trutv miniseries of the week
1D889673-1B26-475A-AA50-A704FCDE2433.jpeg

On point

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I was just reading about this a few minutes ago! I was thinking about posting it here with the title "Well, this sucks" but I think your title is better. :oops2:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was reading about this last night. I told my husband that this will be on Dateline, 48 Hours and 20/20. I can already hear Keith Morrison saying “So what really happened on that rural road?”.

I’m also finding it hard to believe that the father didn’t call to have someone change the tire on that rural road.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been following it...so bizarre! I do hope they solve all the murders/attempted murders. Inquiring minds want to know!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock

"We Need to Talk About Kevin"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
No, you would get him help -- whatever combination of counseling and prison that entailed.

Family "loyalty" that transcends or thwarts the legal and criminal justice system is just organized crime. Of course that need not keep you out of the highest office in some countries.

agreed but we don't know what drives most people - a desire not to tarnish their "good family name" might be a strong one in these sort of families? Not to mention that if you want to run for political offices / important business positions, this knowledge can be gold to your rivals.

I do think that they would definitely not be encouraging such a psycho relative, probably more like short of full time imprisonment he would invariably get loose somehow / every now and then. Plus sociopaths know how to put up a good show to winover enablers and allies

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results