shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone ever deal with this vendor/seller before?

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I came across a jeweler on Instagram. Their name is Victor Barbone. I am interested in a piece of ring that they have sold awhile ago. This ring which I have been eyeing and saving for it for a while eventually sold. At first, I thought, it's not meant to be and that's that. But then it keeps bugging me so I contacted them, and they said they don't usually do this, but they can remake the ring.

Of course, I am so happy about that but before I go any further. Has anyone bought from this vendor before?

The name of the ring is Marianne (vendor's pic attached). Marianne.jpg

I always look to Psers before I make any decision.

Please advise. Should I or shouldn't I?

-Joelly

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Bump. Anyone?

joelly

Ideal_Rock
This is another one I’m also considering:

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Marianne is sold but they offered to remake that one for $10K but only 90% accuracy.

Laney is still available for $5,750.

From the pictures/video, are these prices look reasonable or not?

Thanks for helping.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Bump...?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @joelly I am sorry no one replied yet...my perspective on this vendor is that they have lovely pieces but they are expensive.
There is no right or wrong however if you see something you love that they have because there can be a premium on great old cuts these days.

But yes they are expensive and I remember @Niel had an experience with them (IIRC and if I am mistaken I apologize) where she found something on eBay that was gorgeous but I think the above vendor bought it and then marked it much higher.

Of course they are in the business to make money so I am not finding fault per se but you won't be getting a good deal with them as with let's say Parksfinegroup. Just as an example. HTH.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @joelly I am sorry no one replied yet...my perspective on this vendor is that they have lovely pieces but they are expensive.
There is no right or wrong however if you see something you love that they have because there can be a premium on great old cuts these days.

But yes they are expensive and I remember @Niel had an experience with them (IIRC and if I am mistaken I apologize) where she found something on eBay that was gorgeous but I think the above vendor bought it and then marked it much higher.

Of course they are in the business to make money so I am not finding fault per se but you won't be getting a good deal with them as with let's say Parksfinegroup. Just as an example. HTH.

Yes I remember the ting was 4K on the eBay is listed somewhere between 12-15k now.
Now that’s not to say there isn’t value in having a trusted jeweler to purchase from. And there is overhead and whatnot. For me being someone who is good at eBay sniping and patient the price is crazy- however- the fact it is higher in value on its face is not necessarily a bad thing.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I saw this exact ring on eBay too
Lemme take a gander ( reminds me of my monster ring actually)

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps post this on the Antique forum as well as you may get more responses.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After looking at your inspiration and budget I feel confident you could get more for your money on eBay. I am not sure exactly what you’re style is.
However there’s nothing wrong with wanting to shop at a respected store, which VB is.
Just for me those prices are *oof*

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I remember the ting was 4K on the eBay is listed somewhere between 12-15k now.
Now that’s not to say there isn’t value in having a trusted jeweler to purchase from. And there is overhead and whatnot. For me being someone who is good at eBay sniping and patient the price is crazy- however- the fact it is higher in value on its face is not necessarily a bad thing.

After looking at your inspiration and budget I feel confident you could get more for your money on eBay. I am not sure exactly what you’re style is.
However there’s nothing wrong with wanting to shop at a respected store, which VB is.
Just for me those prices are *oof*

Yeah it’s a pretty big markup. I agree what works for one might not for another and there’s nothing wrong with buying at a premium. However that amount of markup leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Their prices can be as you write “oof” indeed.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Perusing their website looks like they pretty regularly create new rings inspired by antiques they have had.
Do you have more details related to the quote i.e. the two main stones weight/color/clarity etc?

joelly

Ideal_Rock
@missy, thanks for replying. I need to know if this is overpriced is all. I love both designs but one gone already.

@Niel, wow that’s interesting. I have never peruse Ebay for jewelry. From $4K to $12K-$15K is mind boggling.

@kgizo, thank you for the tips. I will.

@EC8, the two stones are 0.6-0.7 each in J/K colors. Both oec in vs clarity. Then there are oecs diamonds on the setting as well. This is as far as I know. They will remake Marianne for $10K as that’s how much their custom project starts at. What else should I ask from them?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Victor Barbone is overpriced by PS standards, but it’s just retail for non-PSers. It comes down to whether you want to pay the retail markup or if you’d be happy finding a cheaper vendor to reproduce those. (I consider antiques fair game to copy.)

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I feel like I saw this exact ring on eBay too
Lemme take a gander ( reminds me of my monster ring actually)

Really? I’m curious now

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I think Victor Barbone is overpriced by PS standards, but it’s just retail for non-PSers. It comes down to whether you want to pay the retail markup or if you’d be happy finding a cheaper vendor to reproduce those. (I consider antiques fair game to copy.)

You just speak my mind which is why I’m asking first before I’m buying.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You just speak my mind which is why I’m asking first before I’m buying.

I think some of us are being sensitive to the fact we are all different but yeah I wouldn't pay the markup for the rings you are considering. Pretty but I think you could get them with someone for a better price. Old World diamonds for one could make this ring I believe and do it well.

But paying the markup to get exactly what they want is not wrong per se. It's what works best for you and sometimes going with someone who has that markup is worth it to someone because they want what they want and don't want to work too hard to get it if you kwim. PSers not only don't mind working hard they (some of us) enjoy the process and the search and hunt.

Good luck @joelly and looking forward to seeing your beautiful ring whatever you decide.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
The quoted price is on the more expensive side if you do comps on similar sized stones.

A “similar to” for price point comparison (on EBay):

Did they indicate that they had detailed measurements of the original ring or would they only be going by photos/memory since original isn’t on hand anymore? If it the former, then that would be a major advantage to using them vs. having to work out all the details with a different vendor.

Pippy

Rough_Rock
I actually purchased a vintage piece from VB. Even though I did select the ring virtually and was a bit nervous buying a diamond ring without ever seeing it person.
The shopping experience was wonderful! The way they packaged and shipped the ring made me feel like a princess. Best of all the ring is extraordinarily beautiful. Quite frankly the pictures and videos they provided me didn’t do the piece justice.
I was very pleased overall and do recommend them.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I actually purchased a vintage piece from VB. Even though I did select the ring virtually and was a bit nervous buying a diamond ring without ever seeing it person.
The shopping experience was wonderful! The way they packaged and shipped the ring made me feel like a princess. Best of all the ring is extraordinarily beautiful. Quite frankly the pictures and videos they provided me didn’t do the piece justice.
I was very pleased overall and do recommend them.

Do you have any photos to share with us? I actually got a ring made based off one of the designs that VB had previously. I couldn't justify the price and made a replica of their Lotte (I think that's what it was called).

Pippy

Rough_Rock
Do you have any photos to share with us? I actually got a ring made based off one of the designs that VB had previously. I couldn't justify the price and made a replica of their Lotte (I think that's what it was called).

B3AFE6DE-9ACE-46D5-84E1-CCBAC2BF3E71.jpeg

Attachments

• A21DA242-09C4-4D3C-BCBC-974F58278146.jpeg
    A21DA242-09C4-4D3C-BCBC-974F58278146.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 0AEAE7AE-4134-402F-87C7-B74D4AB88BB6.jpeg
    0AEAE7AE-4134-402F-87C7-B74D4AB88BB6.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 52

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

What a beautiful ring and the setting is divine! I must say that the craftsmanship by VB is amazing. What are the specs on your centre stone? That facet pattern is so pretty!

Pippy

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful ring and the setting is divine! I must say that the craftsmanship by VB is amazing. What are the specs on your centre stone? That facet pattern is so pretty!

It’s an Old European Cut
2.68 carats
M color
VS2
8.63*9.06*5.26mm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results