shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else spring cleaning their jewelry box?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m finding that being home so much is making me look at my bling and wondering why I have so much... time to declutter! I’ll post pics once I decide what to keep and what’s going.

Anyone else feeling a big urge to pare down? And then a weird feeling of: oh- now is not a great time to sell I guess I’ll just do all the prep work?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I would if I still had my jewellery that is at the bank vault. My jewellery box here is fairly empty because I basically only have staples I wear daily plus maybe 3 or 4 other things at all. My jewellery whenever I can get it I will probably be taking half of the contents to my jeweller for store credit to set something later on down the line. Might as well let them have it for melt instead of it sitting around doing nothing.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People are buying so maybe now is a good time to sell. At least I have found that to be the case, lots of people are home and bored and are passing the time shopping.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I had the declutter / clean out urge last fall. I sold some of the items on LoupeTroupe, and the rest I took to a local consignment shop.

It feels really good (at least to me) to pare down. I feel lighter and freer only keeping either what I truly wear, plus a few family/sentimental pieces.

Like you said, you can do the prep work now. Perhaps even put the pieces you want to sell in a different area. This could be your "testing" time to see if you really don't want / don't wear certain pieces by placing them out of sight and see how their absence makes you feel.

For me, I have to do multiple "sweep throughs." I get rid of (or set aside) the easy to part with pieces first. Then in a few days or weeks, I sweep through again, removing the new bottom rung. I do this a few more times until only the pieces I truly love remain.

Enjoy your process!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I would be in the position to buy if people are clearing out. I don’t have much to purge but I am looking at a few less worn items to refurbish or remake along with some inherited jewelry that I won’t wear as it is. It’s high end recycling. LOL

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I was considering it this morning after a slightly impulsive purchase earlier this week. I'll have to work on my photography skills to actually list the items.

Thank you for the additional motivation.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People are buying so maybe now is a good time to sell. At least I have found that to be the case, lots of people are home and bored and are passing the time shopping.

It’s more that I’m not up for shipping or delivering right now. Staying home as much as possible!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the declutter / clean out urge last fall. I sold some of the items on LoupeTroupe, and the rest I took to a local consignment shop.

It feels really good (at least to me) to pare down. I feel lighter and freer only keeping either what I truly wear, plus a few family/sentimental pieces.

Like you said, you can do the prep work now. Perhaps even put the pieces you want to sell in a different area. This could be your "testing" time to see if you really don't want / don't wear certain pieces by placing them out of sight and see how their absence makes you feel.

For me, I have to do multiple "sweep throughs." I get rid of (or set aside) the easy to part with pieces first. Then in a few days or weeks, I sweep through again, removing the new bottom rung. I do this a few more times until only the pieces I truly love remain.

Enjoy your process!

I love these suggestions and I’m glad I’m not alone! And it’s so encouraging to hear that you felt better afterwards. Of course I am worried that I will regret selling something, but most of it I do not wear... seems silly to just hoard and preserve when I could sell and buy one big thing!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m definitely getting ready to list some things, just out of generalized anxiety - I keep telling myself I’m just not going to be able to complete any little projects for a while so I should let them go.

What criteria do people use when deciding what to list?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’m definitely getting ready to list some things, just out of generalized anxiety - I keep telling myself I’m just not going to be able to complete any little projects for a while so I should let them go.

What criteria do people use when deciding what to list?

My criteria is if I’d be sad about not owning it. Only 2 pieces meet that requirement and neither of them are particularly worth much but both were gifts from my parents... only pieces I’ve never listed at some point.

I use that with almost everything. Only thing I can’t bring myself to purge is my orchid collection.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PreRaphaelite my criteria is leaning towards: do I never ever wear it? Time to release it!

I added up what my whole collection roughly cost and it was shocking to me and also illustrated to me that I could buy one big piece instead of having all the little guys. I’m a slow learner I guess haha.

Also being self-isolated I am wearing so little jewellery it makes me feel all “why do I have all this?” But I know if I were going to work I’d enjoy accessorizing and having variety.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I couldn’t sleep so I identified 30 pieces to sell and 20 to keep! Most are very small but there’s some fun stuff. I will post a pic soon but I want to sleep on it first.

Also no clue when I’ll be able to ship things so I’m definitely going to take my sweet time!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look at my collection (s) and sigh. Soooo much stuff. My plan is always “when I upgrade, I’ll sell the earlier piece”. Hmmm, that doesn’t seem to have been happening of late. Given that I’m now retired and I’m not really a “going out all fancy gal” many of my pieces are a bit too over the top for walking the dog, doing the grocery shopping and/or catching up with friends for a coffee or a wine! Many of my pieces I own and love because of their beauty, workmanship or rarity. That I’ve got nowhere fancy to wear them doesn’t matter. I can enjoy them right here at home.
Though I do sometimes feel I need to rehome pieces, like I’m a bit too greedy having so much when others have less and long for something special and beautiful.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I call the pieces I don't wear but can't sell (yet) jewelry box ornaments, because let's face it, they do make a jewelry box so much prettier to look at!

That said I sold my rose cut diamond recently and will probably part with a couple more pieces. I find with something like the rosie I was hanging on to it because it had a great story so I kept my favorite picture so I can always retell the story and still have a picture to reference back to.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I weigh the money I might get with the feeling of parting with it and usually keeping the piece wins out over the potential cash I would get selling it.

With one exception @Austina can attest to but that was a special case. It was meant to be hers as Bubbalah was meant to be mine and it all worked out perfectly.

That was the only piece I ever sold.

I do give my nieces jewelry from my collection every year because I want them to enjoy it now and I want to selfishly see them enjoying it while I am here.

Having said that I don't wear most of my pieces but that is because I have a large collection and I have simple tastes and do not wear much jewelry at all. But I do enjoy collecting pieces and don't have to wear them for them to bring me joy.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was certainly a case of right time, right place @missy and I still can’t believe how everything fell in to place!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was certainly a case of right time, right place @missy and I still can’t believe how everything fell in to place!

Yes, forever connected with each other through our friendship that started with bling and oh what bling it is. :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how jewellery unites people all over the world, whether by their mutual enjoyment of it, or its symbolism of love.

I think those who appreciate beautiful pieces of art and jewelry are romantic souls at heart. We are united. So true.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker tell me more about this orchid collection! Real ones or jewellery ones? Have any pics to share, either way? :)

Real orchids. It turned into a borderline hoarding situation and I did actually purge a while back and sold about 15 plants but that was mostly cause we were moving and I had to go home to take care of my grandma after her surgery for a couple weeks. I’ve been resisting the urge to buy more. Here are some blooms pics... I’m surprised I didn’t take more.

8892E3DE-3984-4446-BA67-97070B3301C9.jpeg
06EDF59B-C048-4EAF-BC76-D1959281A2F4.jpeg 9BE64B66-AA95-436B-8161-B55A9315AB93.jpeg C84116A0-1E77-453C-B2DB-5ABADA43A32A.jpeg CD385C33-22E6-4C1B-823A-A3F1A48475C4.jpeg 77BBE454-0677-4F27-B10C-79A6C80ED371.jpeg E8BDCE9D-13A6-4687-84E8-A835B1D04055.jpeg 63677972-8896-46D3-96E8-934F8EA7D27C.jpeg E97204CB-2057-4EAE-A593-58872171C859.jpeg C84116A0-1E77-453C-B2DB-5ABADA43A32A.jpeg 9BE64B66-AA95-436B-8161-B55A9315AB93.jpeg CD385C33-22E6-4C1B-823A-A3F1A48475C4.jpeg 8892E3DE-3984-4446-BA67-97070B3301C9.jpeg 06EDF59B-C048-4EAF-BC76-D1959281A2F4.jpeg 77BBE454-0677-4F27-B10C-79A6C80ED371.jpeg E8BDCE9D-13A6-4687-84E8-A835B1D04055.jpeg 63677972-8896-46D3-96E8-934F8EA7D27C.jpeg

Attachments

• 90852867-8F33-4C95-8333-599D1FF49DA0.jpeg
    90852867-8F33-4C95-8333-599D1FF49DA0.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 19

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PreRaphaelite, I will always be so thankful that you decided to part with your paperclip necklace. It just works so perfectly with my Fiona pendant.

I find that knowing someone is thrilled with a piece I've sold them makes parting with it easier. I've heard from folks I've sold to on both LT and Ebay and I'm always thankful they take the time to share their thoughts.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! That’s my issue with phals. I can’t keep one alive to save my life. :(

You know what! That's the type at most groceries, etc. Which is what I almost always get. Maybe that's why.

Do you have any good links or recs for orchid care and growing? We can start a new thread in hangout too.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
You know what! That's the type at most groceries, etc. Which is what I almost always get. Maybe that's why.

Do you have any good links or recs for orchid care and growing? We can start a new thread in hangout too.

That’s a good idea so we don’t hijack this thread. Did you want to make one? Or I can. Either way. :))

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@PreRaphaelite, I will always be so thankful that you decided to part with your paperclip necklace. It just works so perfectly with my Fiona pendant.

Thank you so much! I’m so glad it went to you and especially that it supports your love for Fiona (literally supporting your heart!!)
Mostly, I’m glad that it connected us as friends, which as the saying goes, ’price above rubies’ right!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look at my collection (s) and sigh. Soooo much stuff. My plan is always “when I upgrade, I’ll sell the earlier piece”. Hmmm, that doesn’t seem to have been happening of late.

Haha Bron, you’re not alone- that has been my plan historically, too! I’m not so good at the follow-through of selling the old stuff. Whoops! Going to change that now!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I call the pieces I don't wear but can't sell (yet) jewelry box ornaments, because let's face it, they do make a jewelry box so much prettier to look at!

That said I sold my rose cut diamond recently and will probably part with a couple more pieces. I find with something like the rosie I was hanging on to it because it had a great story so I kept my favorite picture so I can always retell the story and still have a picture to reference back to.

Smart to keep a photo!

And I love the term: “jewellery box ornaments” haha. I definitely have a few of those!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results