shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else have early-onset DDS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Early onset Diamond Diminishing Syndrome that is!
1.gif

Poor BF. Early this summer, right after discovering PS, I wanted (ideally) a 1.3-1.5 ct. ring. Would have been happy with 1 ct. too. Fast forward to August. BF and I are in NY. BF and I go to Tiffany and Cartier to look at rings for fun. Decide that a 1.85 looks better. Mental upgrade to 1.85 lol. Fast forward a few months to January. BF and I are at my jewelers while in the neighborhood. BF and I decide (yes, it''s not just me - he decided too!) that a 2 ct. looks better. Again, mental upgrade. Fast forward to now. I have a new blue spinel ring. It''s 8.1 mm, nearly the same as a 2 ct. round diamond. Mom and I decide that I could go bigger, maybe to 2.5 ct. Oy vey!
5.gif
Bear in mind that my finger size is....

a 3.5!!!

And we''re waiting on engagement until graduation. Fortunately, as long as we don''t screw up at our summer jobs and we get a permanent offer at the end of the summer we''ll be in good financial shape, but still, early-onset DDS anyone??

So anyone else out there who is in similar straits?
2.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Not quite as extreme as yours, but I remember thinking (in my pre-PS days, of course) that I wanted less than 1/2 ct and a setting that was simple, small, and unobtrusive. I''m a programmer, and I want something that isn''t going to be too bulky on my hand. But now, my tastes have changed, and I like more elaborate settings that just wouldn''t look the same with a .5 or smaller, so I guess I have early-stage DDS.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
I have had the exact D.D.S. as you! I am a size 3.5 (sometimes 3.75) and SO and I started looking at rings at the beginning of Jan. We are planning on purchasing a Tiffany Novo ring. Before we even started looking, we originally thought I should stay around 1.5 ct, since my hand is so small. Our SA brought in a 1.58 ct and 1.79 ct. I only tried on the 1.79, adored it, and thought that would be the one. Then I tried on a 2 ct solitaire and thought, "hmmm...a 2ct Novo would probably be awesome!" So now we are on the waiting list to get in two 2ct Novos to try on. I don''t think I will go any higher than 2ct for the center stone, though. I am in a PhD program where I work in a lab and have to take gloves on and off all day. I guess a 2.5 wouldn''t be any harder to deal with than a 2, huh?
1.gif

Are you by any chance in law school? My SO is a third year associate at a firm now but it feels like just yesterday he was a summer associate. Good luck either way!
5.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I don''t want to admit it but..yes! I love big rocks and could easily wear something bigger than I have (2.75 ct on a size 5).

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I think part of it is cultural/geographical. When you live in NY (and other large metropolitan areas) you see a lot of big rings, and they stop seeming as large when they are the norm. And when everyone around you has a 3ct diamond, 1.5 starts to seem...puny?
9.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Believe me, when you get that ring you won''t care if it''s a 1.80, 2.0, or whatever. All that matter is you have the ring and he''s asked you the question!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry, that sounded really condescending!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Thats true which is why its hard to admit. I still would never upgrade this ring because of HH''s said reasons. My fiance said he''d rather buy another then trade in the sentimental meaning. That doesn''t mean I am going to stop loving big rocks! That was the question, right?

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I think I am having the exact opposite of the problem. We started out saying how perfect a 2 carat would be and is exactly what I wanted. Now I honestly don''t care too much about what the ring looks like. Sure a 2 ct looks fabulous on my hand, but he could give me a band and I''d be just as happy. I don''t know what has come over me, but I''ve started to realize how much money would go towards a ring when there are so many other things we could use that money for together instead of just for me. Weird, huh? :)

katica

Shiny_Rock
Well I had always been hoping for at least 1 ct but I don''t think that''s happening. One time I mentioned something like this in passing and he seemed upset and said "its already done". So by that time he had picked a stone and I''m pretty sure it''s not a ct, probably more like .7 or .75. I can''t deny that I was a little disappointed, but we plan to have a short engagement and get married in September or October so we won''t have a lot of time to save up for that. And we want to start baby making right away so there are lots of other things to save money for! You should have seen his face when we were talking about sizes. He was so happy when originally talking about the ring and then once I mentioned the size thing he got kind of sad. I felt like a witch. I''m sure I''ll love my ring no matter what, but he DID mention we can uprade to a bigger stone down the line!
31.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 7:41:29 PM
Author: misskitty
Not quite as extreme as yours, but I remember thinking (in my pre-PS days, of course) that I wanted less than 1/2 ct and a setting that was simple, small, and unobtrusive. I''m a programmer, and I want something that isn''t going to be too bulky on my hand. But now, my tastes have changed, and I like more elaborate settings that just wouldn''t look the same with a .5 or smaller, so I guess I have early-stage DDS.

3.gif
my mom has a 1 ct. and I think I''ve always wanted something around that size, until I discovered PS. Fortunately, there''s only so much carat-age lol my finger can handle!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 8:02:03 PM
Author: LabRatPhD
I have had the exact D.D.S. as you! I am a size 3.5 (sometimes 3.75) and SO and I started looking at rings at the beginning of Jan. We are planning on purchasing a Tiffany Novo ring. Before we even started looking, we originally thought I should stay around 1.5 ct, since my hand is so small. Our SA brought in a 1.58 ct and 1.79 ct. I only tried on the 1.79, adored it, and thought that would be the one. Then I tried on a 2 ct solitaire and thought, ''hmmm...a 2ct Novo would probably be awesome!'' So now we are on the waiting list to get in two 2ct Novos to try on. I don''t think I will go any higher than 2ct for the center stone, though. I am in a PhD program where I work in a lab and have to take gloves on and off all day. I guess a 2.5 wouldn''t be any harder to deal with than a 2, huh?
1.gif

Are you by any chance in law school? My SO is a third year associate at a firm now but it feels like just yesterday he was a summer associate. Good luck either way!
5.gif

A 2 ct. Novo would be gorgeous! I tried on the Novo over the summer and thought it was spectacular, although I''m a RB girl at heart
1.gif
You''ll have to let us know when those 2 ct Novos come in and you try them on! Although if you''re already rocking a 2 ct. in a lab, I think you''ll be able to handle a 2.5 very easily too
2.gif

And yep, BF and I are both 2Ls in law school. We''re pretty excited for this coming summer. How does your SO like firm life?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 10:13:14 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
I don''t want to admit it but..yes! I love big rocks and could easily wear something bigger than I have (2.75 ct on a size 5).

You''re ring is so gorgeous though EM! I think your FI is a smart smart man in thinking you should just buy another instead of trading that one in!
5.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 10:25:33 PM
Author: TheBigT
I think part of it is cultural/geographical. When you live in NY (and other large metropolitan areas) you see a lot of big rings, and they stop seeming as large when they are the norm. And when everyone around you has a 3ct diamond, 1.5 starts to seem...puny?
9.gif

Definitely agree. BF and I are in Chicago now and moving to NYC in a couple years, but if I was planning on living in my hometown, which is fairly rustic and small city, I would probably not even consider something near 2 ct. It would just be way out of place, although I imagine 2 ct. or so would be around the norm in NYC (or at least now unusual!)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 10:31:10 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Believe me, when you get that ring you won''t care if it''s a 1.80, 2.0, or whatever. All that matter is you have the ring and he''s asked you the question!

Not condescending at all! I definitely agree (or will when I get it!). The one good thing about not being engaged yet is that I can let me imagination fly free though
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 10:57:58 AM
Author: Definitely, Maybe
I think I am having the exact opposite of the problem. We started out saying how perfect a 2 carat would be and is exactly what I wanted. Now I honestly don''t care too much about what the ring looks like. Sure a 2 ct looks fabulous on my hand, but he could give me a band and I''d be just as happy. I don''t know what has come over me, but I''ve started to realize how much money would go towards a ring when there are so many other things we could use that money for together instead of just for me. Weird, huh? :)

Not weird at all! With the way the economy is now, I think that''s pretty sensible - and even if the economy was healthy, there are still plenty of things you can (or eventually will have to) put money towards. Getting a head start on them is a great thing!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 11:14:00 AM
Author: katica
Well I had always been hoping for at least 1 ct but I don''t think that''s happening. One time I mentioned something like this in passing and he seemed upset and said ''its already done''. So by that time he had picked a stone and I''m pretty sure it''s not a ct, probably more like .7 or .75. I can''t deny that I was a little disappointed, but we plan to have a short engagement and get married in September or October so we won''t have a lot of time to save up for that. And we want to start baby making right away so there are lots of other things to save money for! You should have seen his face when we were talking about sizes. He was so happy when originally talking about the ring and then once I mentioned the size thing he got kind of sad. I felt like a witch. I''m sure I''ll love my ring no matter what, but he DID mention we can uprade to a bigger stone down the line!
31.gif

Aww that''s too bad Katica! But yeah it definitely makes sense with the short engagement and all. I''m sure your BF (soon to be FI) will perk right up when you see the ring and see how happy you are - I''m sure it''s beautiful! And like you said, upgrade in the future
2.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

It has to be cultural. I just cannot believe the numbers that are tossed around on this place...my jaw is on the floor just reading this thread!
3.gif

Anything over a .7 is noteworthy large in good ol' Australia - well, in the part of it where I live, anyway! And especially if you're talking newlyweds rather than a matron onto her second upgrade or more!

It's easy to dream when you're staring at a computer screen... but all those actual man/woman hours to earn the kinds of $$$$ that these massive rocks would demand, hm...dream status only!

I think for my own tastes I would definitely have to top out at 1.5 - and that size would put me straight in the 'show-off freak' category amongst my friends, by a mile!

There are too many other pieces of jewellery / nice things to buy... like education for my kids, among other things! If I was in the trade, I would probably think differently!
3.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think I had my ideas BF PS, and they have enforced them. I always wanted a stone above 1 ct, but would have been happy with a smaller one. Now I really want a 1 ct stone. Especially since I think my BF is hinting he wants to use Leon, who neither of us would not have known about if it was not for PS.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 3:06:31 AM
Author: LaraOnline

It has to be cultural. I just cannot believe the numbers that are tossed around on this place...my jaw is on the floor just reading this thread!
3.gif

Anything over a .7 is noteworthy large in good ol'' Australia - well, in the part of it where I live, anyway! And especially if you''re talking newlyweds rather than a matron onto her second upgrade or more!

It''s easy to dream when you''re staring at a computer screen... but all those actual man/woman hours to earn the kinds of $$$$ that these massive rocks would demand, hm...dream status only!

I think for my own tastes I would definitely have to top out at 1.5 - and that size would put me straight in the ''show-off freak'' category amongst my friends, by a mile!

There are too many other pieces of jewellery / nice things to buy... like education for my kids, among other things! If I was in the trade, I would probably think differently!
3.gif
Well, I live in the U.S., the Pacific NW, and I agree, I can''t believe the size of a lot of the rocks on ps! Honestly, I''d never paid much attention to the size of my friends'' diamonds until we began talking about getting engaged. Now that I sneak looks whenever I can I don''t think any of them have a rock bigger than .5 or so (many are quite a bit smaller, too). Of course many of them got married in their early to mid-20s so perhaps that plays a big part of it. Although, despite that, I can''t fathom the amount of money spent on diamonds. Most of those rocks cost more than any car I''ll ever own! In fact, some are nearly as expensive as our house! I just can''t imagine letting my FF spend that much money on me...but we''re not in a position that we could anyway! LOL

However, that said, I can totally understand your DDS! I think the more you look at rocks and the bigger you try on, the better you think they look. As long as you''re both on the same page...and can afford it...I say get whatever makes you happy!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
DDS! That''s funny! I''d only head DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) on here.

I''ve had reverse DSS, actually. It seemed like a small-ish stone to me when I first had it, then the longer I had it the bigger it looked to me. Weird, huh?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've had a sort of starting point at wanting a 1ct. After joining PS, I actually thought anything around .65 was nice. But then I decided that was too small so I raised that standard to .75ct. But then I thought that was too small too so I raised it to .90ct. Then I decided I'd be happiest with a 1ct+ lol. So I guess I downgraded then upgraded back to where I started in my head.

So......I've had something similar but within the same 'size' range and not anything outrageous. I'd really be happiest with a 1-1.50ct. But I hate to sound bratty and selfish. I don't really know what size I will end up with (it could be much smaller for all I know) but I will take it for what it's worth...
31.gif

ETA- Living these days with the awful economy sure doesn't help any on the size either...
29.gif

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Hi Brown.Eyed.Girl

My SO is really enjoys firm life now. His first year was not as enjoyable - he was in one of the main offices of a very large firm and just felt like a number in a sea of hundreds of other attorneys. He transferred to a smaller office in the same firm to be with me and likes it a lot better. He is given a lot more substantial work, even though he is still a young associate and has a lot more responsibility. It is a good situation.

I am currently having doubts about the Novo setting, even though I loved it at first. I have now fallen for the Tiffany setting. I will need to make a decision soon so SO doesn''t have to hear about it anymore! He likes both so he doesn''t really care which I choose. I may actually go for the Tiffany setting in 2 cts even though I have been seriously looking at the Novo. I think this could be considered a syndrome!
9.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 5:16:53 PM
Author: LabRatPhD
I am currently having doubts about the Novo setting, even though I loved it at first. I have now fallen for the Tiffany setting. I will need to make a decision soon so SO doesn''t have to hear about it anymore! He likes both so he doesn''t really care which I choose. I may actually go for the Tiffany setting in 2 cts even though I have been seriously looking at the Novo. I think this could be considered a syndrome!
9.gif
ARE YOU MY TWIN?!?!?!?
6.gif
6.gif

Because I was totally in love with the Novo last year and my FF didn''t like it at all. He showed me the Tiffany Setting which he loved for me and then I fell in love with it too!!! Which was funny because I thought I''d never like that ring until I tried it on!!!!! That and the RB with Tapered Baguettes that he found in the case and we both LOVE that one as well. So it might just be one of those 2 for me!
2.gif
Hopefully!!

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dreamgirl!

Really?? We must be long-lost twins!
2.gif
At T&Co, my SO really only liked the Tiffany setting and the Novo. I liked the Novo at first because it seemed like it had more personality than the Tiffany setting. I tried on several Novos (along with the matching wedding band) and really thought that would be my set. I started looking at the other wedding bands on the Tiffany website and somehow it seemed that the bands I liked wouldn''t look so cute with the Novo e-ring. My mom really likes the Tiffany setting so she has been prodding me to try it on seriously. We have some 2.03 ct Tiffany settings coming in to our local store so I am dying to try them on. Hopefully it will be my ring very soon and the fickle syndrome goes away!
3.gif

mariewest

Shiny_Rock
Mine is exact opposite!

I don't want a large stone, my ring size is 5ish. I was originally thinking .75 to 1ct. Then down to a .50ct because of financial reasons, hoping that it'll be more affordable and a proposal would come quicker. Now I'm even going away from a diamond at all looking at less expensive gemstones and other alternatives.

In the end it is up to him, I'll be happy with whatever I get as long as he finally proposes!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

9.gif

3.gif

Anything over a .7 is noteworthy large in good ol'' Australia - well, in the part of it where I live, anyway! And especially if you''re talking newlyweds rather than a matron onto her second upgrade or more!

It''s easy to dream when you''re staring at a computer screen... but all those actual man/woman hours to earn the kinds of $$$$ that these massive rocks would demand, hm...dream status only!

I think for my own tastes I would definitely have to top out at 1.5 - and that size would put me straight in the ''show-off freak'' category amongst my friends, by a mile!

3.gif

I didn''t realize until I joined PS that in many countries (European ones, Australia, etc.) large rings aren''t that common. You just tend to get desensitized somewhat to rings around 1 ct. because they seem more on the average end in the US (or maybe just in my mind!). Unfortunately, my family''s social circle back home (in a small city) is among a lot of very competitive Korean ladies (competitive about children, cars, houses, husbands, and jewelry, lol) and I''m in law school, where the girls who are engaged all have 1+ ct. rings, and will be moving to NYC...and we can get a sense of how big the average is there!
3.gif
I''ve been tainted by society!
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 10:35:05 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I think I had my ideas BF PS, and they have enforced them. I always wanted a stone above 1 ct, but would have been happy with a smaller one. Now I really want a 1 ct stone. Especially since I think my BF is hinting he wants to use Leon, who neither of us would not have known about if it was not for PS.

Ooh which Leon?? I''m so glad I found PS for that reason too - I want my future ring to be either from Leon or Mark Morrell and I didn''t know of either of them before PS!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 10:42:08 AM
Author: Still_Waiting

3.gif

3.gif

Well, I live in the U.S., the Pacific NW, and I agree, I can''t believe the size of a lot of the rocks on ps! Honestly, I''d never paid much attention to the size of my friends'' diamonds until we began talking about getting engaged. Now that I sneak looks whenever I can I don''t think any of them have a rock bigger than .5 or so (many are quite a bit smaller, too). Of course many of them got married in their early to mid-20s so perhaps that plays a big part of it. Although, despite that, I can''t fathom the amount of money spent on diamonds. Most of those rocks cost more than any car I''ll ever own! In fact, some are nearly as expensive as our house! I just can''t imagine letting my FF spend that much money on me...but we''re not in a position that we could anyway! LOL

However, that said, I can totally understand your DDS! I think the more you look at rocks and the bigger you try on, the better you think they look. As long as you''re both on the same page...and can afford it...I say get whatever makes you happy!

You''re totally right about the more you look at rocks the better the bigger ones look! It''s bad when you start thinking at what size you max out finger coverage...
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 1:18:11 PM
Author: musey
DDS! That''s funny! I''d only head DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) on here.

I''ve had reverse DSS, actually. It seemed like a small-ish stone to me when I first had it, then the longer I had it the bigger it looked to me. Weird, huh?

Weird but great! And Musey, your ring is SO gorgeous - I absolutely love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results