shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone buy from Chelsea Leigh and Co on Etsy?

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I’m going to be blunt, it’s going to seem unkind and maybe even mean, but my intentions are good.

She’s deliberately stealing other artist’s designs AND images and passing them off as her own. That is theft, plain and simple.

If she was tweaking designs and actually using photos of her own work, different story. There are even other designers who will happily directly replicate work, like David Klass, but he would never, EVER use another vendor’s photography of THEIR work. I’m not sure if this is your first big jewelry purchase, but in the realm of ethical jewelers, this is not normal or acceptable and I’m honestly a bit shocked that some more seasoned PSers aren’t being more frank with you. A few forum members who are very experienced have already cautioned working with this vendor, and I’d heed their warnings.

This isn’t in the “grey area” of what is right and wrong for artists and jewelers. She is conspicuously doing something that is totally unethical and it’s indefensible. I suspect that she is manipulating you and that you are being scammed. If she is sincere, which I doubt, she’s totally clueless and I wouldn’t trust the quality of her work on that basis alone. What she is doing is HARMFUL to other artists. She is hurting artists who work hard, put a lot of care and attention into their work, their client relationships, craftsmanship, etc…she’s basically undermining everything they do. You’re putting way too much trust in someone who’s already proven themselves to be untrustworthy. People have absolutely lost money / been screwed over by vendors on Etsy, and never saw their money again after the vendors vanished. If you are using layover, I expect you’re paying cash. You have much less recourse than you are convincing yourself you do. Etsy is not infallible and they don’t have 100% resolution on every case. If you’re using credit or PayPal, you may have better luck…but why knowingly invite the stress and anxiety?

I wish you the best of luck, but in all sincerity. There is zero chance I’d trust this vendor. She also only has 40 reviews, and they seem fishy.

There’s also no concern over dragging her name through the mud because she’s already breached the ethics of what any upstanding, legit jeweler would do. Do not feel bad about her reputation and let that make you feel guilty, because she’s probably counting on you feeling that way unfortunately. I’m sure her messages have been very compelling, as scammers usually are…

This is an exciting time and you should work with someone you don’t have these concerns about. There are plenty of legit vendors who can work with a variety of budgets and I’m sure many of us would be more than happy to point you in a better direction. I’m only being so firm because I’d hate for this to blow up for you. If this is money you can’t afford to lose, I’d urge you to request a refund.

This. Definitely agree with everything @Cerulean stated.

To add insult to injury, not only is she stealing vendor photos, she’s stealing PSer’s photos. So obviously she is familiar with PS and I’m guessing she may have read this exact thread before responding to you. I would follow @cerulean’s advice and demand a refund now before going any further.

@twosanguinehearts post and pics

Vendor’s listing of the replica using the same photos

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
This. Definitely agree with everything @Cerulean stated.

To add insult to injury, not only is she stealing vendor photos, she’s stealing PSer’s photos. So obviously she is familiar with PS and I’m guessing she may have read this exact thread before responding to you. I would follow @cerulean’s advice and demand a refund now before going any further.

@twosanguinehearts post and pics

Vendor’s listing of the replica using the same photos

Oof... That's probably the biggest confirmation of stolen stock photos on her entire store. I'm not going to lie to myself and say that it doesn't bother me. I don't like that she is using photos that she didn't take in her advertisement. That's my biggest gripe right now, that she should be using strictly her own material on her store site. What is interesting is that she does provide some of her own videos and or photos mixed in with every listing she makes, which I have to say are stunning and flawless copies of the original photos.
It's like she is saying "I can make this ring. look at the original and look at mine."

Some of her listings strictly are using her photos, like this one. Like she is maybe transitioning to legit photos or something? I might be reaching here, but maybe she is? This https://www.etsy.com/listing/1077296972/155-carat-edwardian-antique-style?click_key=b7f9b493bf1e8b6274f7e0085a599585457947b9:1077296972&click_sum=6a838ecb&ref=shop_home_active_8&frs=1&sca=1&sts=1
vs
This https://erstwhilejewelry.com/erstwh...old-european-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-5782

Cerulean also has a really really valid point there about stealing photos and claiming designs that are not hers, as her own...buut nowhere in her website does she claim the designs are hers. She is literally claiming to be capable of making the rings pictured. That's it. You have to infer, in order to come to the conclusion that she is claiming the designs. Granted, who would not infer that. In reality, she is literally saying "I can make this ring for this amount of money."
Her customer service thus far has been flawless. Her reviews are excellent and her sales mark is at 101, but that could also be counting every layaway purchase someone has made, so she literally may have sold 40 actual rings, but have "101 purchases". Not necessarily ~60 hidden bad reviews. I'll explain this in a minute. I've used Etsy a lot. There are some weird looking reviews where a couple of reviewers gave her multiple reviews for one purchase. It made me scratch my head for a minute and then I had light bulb moment. I can actually easily explain that one. When you do layaway purchases, she processes each payment on Etsy as a full purchase because I don't think Etsy has it's own layaway function. Each time you make a purchase on Etsy, it generates the ability to write a review. Likely this Sherrie person was so ecstatic to get a ring she could usually never afford and the seller is extremely attentive in her customer service, so it is probably that Sherrie was giving her good reviews after ever layaway purchase. I actually don't think Etsy should allow this, because it misrepresents the number of reviews a seller has received per purchase. As far as sellers having the ability to "remove bad reviews". They actually can't remove the reviews itself. They can refuse to use a photo the customer uploads if they feel it has content that misrepresents the seller and products...like smashing up or defacing the product and uploading it or there being inappropriate content. That's it. They can report a review for similar reasons, to Etsy and Etsy can choose to have it taken down, if the bad review is deemed flat out inappropriate.

So far, if she would just change her photos, I would be 100% happy. If I ask her a technical question she answers it thoroughly and within 24 hours, every time, without fail, and I have asked a lot of questions. She says she is a jeweler and diamond wholesaler that cuts their own diamonds and directly imports them. She sells a lot of her diamonds to markets like Brilliant Earth, Rapnet, and other jewelers, including at least one local one in her area. If you buy a diamond directly from her, it will cost much less than what it sells for on markets like Brilliant Earth and Rapnet, because she chooses not to inflate the price for a gross amount of profit. She sells certified and not-certified to give people options who need to stay in a certain budget. I asked at some point to get each of my diamonds certified. It's costing $400, just as an example, as she sends them to an IGI lab for certification and they have their own fees.
I get this vibe from her messages that she is really on a mission to make the market of fine jewelry equitable. She has verbalized some irritation about greedy businesses that charge "$15000 for something that is worth $8000, which is still a fair profit"

I am awaiting photos of the ring she is making for me, before the diamonds are set. She did offer to actually ship it to me, but I don't see how that will prove anything more than really good photos, and waste time and money. If I don't like the quality of the photos, I will ask her to make good on her offer to ship to me for further inspection. I mean that's a pretty ballsy offer, to not be sincere or confident in the quality of her work. I could take that ring and have it inspected by a local jeweler. Same with the diamond she offered to ship to me to inspect, as well. She's also willing to wait for me to make more payments until I am completely satisfied and I can back out anytime between now and when I get the whole finished ring in my hand within her return policy window, stated on her website, that I also have a saved screenshot of, and have reiterated by her in writing.

So yeah, it's like almost a perfect situation, except the photos. I don't mind that she does great replica work, if it's actually great and she can prove it.

Oh Edit: I am not paying with cash. I also bank with USAA. So, if this really goes sideways, and Etsy doesn't do their job, I have tremendous written documentation, and USAA always, always gets you your money back when you have proof of being scammed. They also go after the scammer. So, I'll be alright. Shows you how much I love this ring, though.
If I end up being completely wrong, I promise to eat humble pie on this thread. I appreciate every sincere attempt from y'all to protect me from a risk, but it could turn out spectacular, which is why I am willing to take it.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Some of her listings strictly are using her photos, like this one. Like she is maybe transitioning to legit photos or something? I might be reaching here, but maybe she is? This https://www.etsy.com/listing/1077296972/155-carat-edwardian-antique-style?click_key=b7f9b493bf1e8b6274f7e0085a599585457947b9:1077296972&click_sum=6a838ecb&ref=shop_home_active_8&frs=1&sca=1&sts=1
Just popping in to say...
That particular example is taken from https://www.gatsbyjewellery.co.uk/shop/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-rings. I recognize the background.
All of the photos are stolen. All of them. It's not hard to steal other people's videos either, vendors do it all the time. If she's in the business of reproduction, there is no reason she wouldn't showcase her own work and have one reference picture clearly labelled to show her skills. Why not show what she actually produces if it's quality? Why directly pirate every other large vendor out there?
Beyond shady.
In contrast:
This vendor sells nice reproductions and shows their actual product.

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Just popping in to say...
That particular example is taken from https://www.gatsbyjewellery.co.uk/shop/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-rings. I recognize the background.
All of the photos are stolen. All of them. It's not hard to steal other people's videos either, vendors do it all the time. If she's in the business of reproduction, there is no reason she wouldn't showcase her own work and have one reference picture clearly labelled to show her skills. Why not show what she actually produces if it's quality? Why directly pirate every other large vendor out there?
Beyond shady.
In contrast:
This vendor sells nice reproductions and shows their actual product.

Son of a gun....Okay does anyone here know if any of the videos she has in her listings are stolen too? like can you provide links? This has been a kick in the pants.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Son of a gun....Okay does anyone here know if any of the videos she has in her listings are stolen too? like can you provide links? This has been a kick in the pants.

I'm sorry to be a downer like that. PS is a place that likes to look out for the people that need help/questions. The only reason I know when most pics are stolen is because I've been looking at all the larger-ish vendors for years. They all have a style they develop- probably for this very reason. I know I've seen other vendors stealing Grace's short vids and putting their watermarks on them after etc. periodically.
It's just a problem that's endemic and part of online buying, because of this it's important to keep an eye on. The sad fact is that places like Ebay/Etsy don't really police this kind of thing very well, there's just too many of them.
As an aside, I don't know what she's talking about with this supposed markup she's saving you from. With lab diamonds she's pretty in line with prices including the settings(if they have the same finish expertise and level as the originals). The only savings is that it's a lab stone as opposed to mined and the nominal novelty of not many vendors offering them already mounted in popular repro settings. Yet.
We just want to make sure you're aware so you can make an informed decision whatever that decision may be. Just ask all the questions you need to to feel good about where you spend your money and who you work with.
Remember if you need help, we're here.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m really sorry you’re in this spot @Daimond-Friend. It’s a sucky place to be, and you got here through no fault of your own. You can’t know what you don’t know. The blame for your current discomfort lies solely with the vendor :(sad

There are two separate but related issues that are worth highlighting by themselves, I think. The first is the idea of a vendor replicating another vendor’s goods. This subject gets gnarly quickly - for me there are some things that I’m very okay with and some things that I’m very not-okay-with, and it’s a thick black line in the sand… But the challenge is that everyone’s lines are in different places! Some things I would encourage you to think about and find your own personal answers to for yourself:
- Does having a replica made negatively impact the original designer? (Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes the answer is no.)
- Does advertising a replica negatively impact the original designer? (Again - sometimes yes and other times no.)
- Is a replica going to be mind-clean for you long-term? (This is very personal, and of course just like the other questions - “it depends”.)

The second issue is a vendor using another vendor’s photos to advertise their own wares. This is more black and white - for a vendor of goods that rely on visual appeal, photos and videos are their only medium for communication of that visual appeal. For a vendor of goods that have only visual value - their photos and videos are their brand, and another vendor using those photos/videos without permission and without crediting the original designer is akin to stealing that designer’s brand.

Here’s something that just happened. The offender, offended, and platform of offense is different, but the offense is exactly the same, and this is a first hand look into how the original designer felt.

I guess the shorter thing to have done would have been to just ditto @Cerulean. You don’t have to justify any decision you make to us, but I urge you to ensure that you’re making a mind-clean choice for you, whatever you choose to do moving forward. It was terribly unfair and deceptive of this vendor to put you in this spot in the first place, and no quick responses or reassuring words from her now can negate the damage she’s already done.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
And just adding @Daimond-Friend, we can absolutely find you an alternative if you’re open to it. Many of us are bargain shoppers and also like an “expensive look” for less than we have in our pockets. :bigsmile: As you can see, we’ve all been shopping enough to recognize each of the vendors she’s taking content from, there are a lot of “good guys” out there. And for instance, I’ve also had a replica made of a vintage Tiffany’s ring and bought a sapphire from a wholesaler.

This myth that all of these big bad vendors are out to provide gauge you isn’t true. Many of the vendors she’s stealing content from are small, mom-and-pop shops (like @yssie ’s example) who run on tight margins and do the best they can to give you a good price. By no means are they rich and out to get you! Some charge more than others, but they (mostly) have their reasons…and some are just overpriced which we can steer you clear from…but that’s no different from shopping anywhere!

They have their own overheads to pay, and many of the prices they extend to you are based on market rates for the things they need to buy (metal, labor, stones, etc.). The person you’re working with isn’t exempt from these things, so if she’s painting a picture that she’s found some loopholes I’d wonder how that’s even possible.

There is always a compromise when you are shopping on a budget, whether it’s size, quality, style, etc. But I guess the question you have to ask yourself if the ethical issue here is the compromise you’re willing to make and if you really trust that the end result will be something that makes you happy

Last edited:

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
I’m definitely going to need help from you guys finding a new jeweler. I’m pulling the plug. First thing I need to do is get my money back. None of this has truly sat well with me, and you are right, it takes like little effort to post one’s own pictures. Alternatively, I would think it takes tremendous effort to scour the internet, steal photos, alter them some, etc… only reason to do that is to either hide the fact that you don’t actually make rings that look like that or to be mean to other jewelers.

But, thank you, all of you for pulling me out of the gutter here. This is my first major jewelry purchase. Thank you for not holding it against me that I fell for this and was defending it in my posts, because I wanted it to be real. What got me ultimately was this shared link

I couldn’t tell myself that she fashioned her photos after other artists. They are indeed all stolen. I’ve asked for my refund, so now we wait and see what happens with that.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m definitely going to need help from you guys finding a new jeweler. I’m pulling the plug. First thing I need to do is get my money back. None of this has truly sat well with me, and you are right, it takes like little effort to post one’s own pictures. Alternatively, I would think it takes tremendous effort to scour the internet, steal photos, alter them some, etc… only reason to do that is to either hide the fact that you don’t actually make rings that look like that or to be mean to other jewelers.

Again, I’m so sorry that this happened to you! Get your money back and wash your hands of it.

Tell us more about what you’re looking for, your budget, etc. I know you liked that setting from Erstwhile.

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Again, I’m so sorry that this happened to you! Get your money back and wash your hands of it.

Tell us more about what you’re looking for, your budget, etc. I know you liked that setting from Erstwhile.

Hey but you know, silver linings here, I wouldn't have found Price Scope and all the awesome people on here, willing to help a girl out. I found this board because I was trying to find out more info on Chelsea Leigh and Co. Also, I literally spent weeks looking at photos of rings and being underwhelmed until I saw the Victor Barbone ring https://www.victorbarbone.com/collections/sold-rings-1/products/old-mine-cut-three-diamond-ring-1

This is honestly my dream ring. My budget is in the 5K-6K ranges. I like lab diamonds, so that does save a lot of money. I like yellow gold and love Mine cut and European cut diamonds...who doesn't right now? lol. I would love to do around a 3ctw on the diamonds, but I am also a realist woman, and I know I may not get that at my budget. The center stone is of course the most important, and if it was in the 1-1.25 range with side diamonds around the 0.6 -0.8 range, that could also be nice. The size ratio between the center and side diamonds is probably more important to me than the total carat weight. I would like to maintain the elegance and not get a clunky look. What I love about this setting is it's danty-ness, but stability to the stones themselves. I like the pointy prongs, as opposed to squared off or round ended prongs, and the shape of the baskets themselves, that the diamonds sit in. I also like the size ratio between the center and side diamonds. I don't tend to like the 4 prong with banded basket at the bottom, like this, because I don't know, just don't like it as much. The diamonds on this are very pretty, though. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1115197708/three-stone-diamond-ring-395-tw-cushion?click_key=f1168cfd33d9c67eedeb1d2597add0093878369e:1115197708&click_sum=5c52d85e&ref=user_profile&pro=1&frs=1

This setting isn't half bad, a little less refined than I usually would like, but it's a got a vintage vibe I could dig, but again, love the stones on this, although not quite as large as I am hoping to go, but they are not lab, they are actually natural, which are worth more. I also do prefer more prongs, usually at least 5. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1113166090/new-breathtaking-18k-yellow-gold-125ctw?click_key=ff7f699b9cc86f3986919e732bae56004bddd0f3:1113166090&click_sum=f0b7517e&ref=user_profile&pro=1&frs=1

Side note, I've been obsessed with this wedding band that I strongly consider pairing with the diamond ring, by this artist from Louisiana. Man after my own heart, based on his story. https://www.bowmanoriginals.com/fig-leaf-wedding-ring-band-gold-antique-finish/#product-description

All help with this is received with so much gratitude. Thank you <3

Last edited:

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
I’m really sorry you’re in this spot @Daimond-Friend. It’s a sucky place to be, and you got here through no fault of your own. You can’t know what you don’t know. The blame for your current discomfort lies solely with the vendor :(sad

There are two separate but related issues that are worth highlighting by themselves, I think. The first is the idea of a vendor replicating another vendor’s goods. This subject gets gnarly quickly - for me there are some things that I’m very okay with and some things that I’m very not-okay-with, and it’s a thick black line in the sand… But the challenge is that everyone’s lines are in different places! Some things I would encourage you to think about and find your own personal answers to for yourself:
- Does having a replica made negatively impact the original designer? (Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes the answer is no.)
- Does advertising a replica negatively impact the original designer? (Again - sometimes yes and other times no.)
- Is a replica going to be mind-clean for you long-term? (This is very personal, and of course just like the other questions - “it depends”.)

The second issue is a vendor using another vendor’s photos to advertise their own wares. This is more black and white - for a vendor of goods that rely on visual appeal, photos and videos are their only medium for communication of that visual appeal. For a vendor of goods that have only visual value - their photos and videos are their brand, and another vendor using those photos/videos without permission and without crediting the original designer is akin to stealing that designer’s brand.

Here’s something that just happened. The offender, offended, and platform of offense is different, but the offense is exactly the same, and this is a first hand look into how the original designer felt.

I guess the shorter thing to have done would have been to just ditto @Cerulean. You don’t have to justify any decision you make to us, but I urge you to ensure that you’re making a mind-clean choice for you, whatever you choose to do moving forward. It was terribly unfair and deceptive of this vendor to put you in this spot in the first place, and no quick responses or reassuring words from her now can negate the damage she’s already done.

I just wanted to say, this was beautifully written and where my heart was at 100%. Replica, okay, I'm cool with that, as long as there are minor differences in details, and all the photos are actual photos of their work. I'm such a newbie, that I didn't understand the effort that goes behind creating a style of photos, so until now, with all of y'all educating me on this, I was cool with photos trying to be of similar style. I draw the line completely at stolen photos.

Also, love CVB's work. I hope she does a solid take down job on that Walmart vendor. How awful, for her work to be taken and blatantly cheapened like that. Super wrong.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hmm I actually wonder if you could ask around a few vendors and see what they say. CVB sources lab stones, why not ask her directly if she can pull something off in your budget?

If you are willing to go “lower” in color (ie maybe yellowish of creamy white instead of bright white) it could be doable

Vendors I’ve seen with good pricing and true antiques below…I’d see what they have in stock and ask if they can recreate something like that ring you love

For example, look at the beautiful parcel here! Maybe they could swap out one for a slightly larger center? They could absolutely make that setting style! It would be at the top of your budget, but could work!

Ivy and rose has done a very similar custom project in the past

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Hmm I actually wonder if you could ask around a few vendors and see what they say. CVB sources lab stones, why not ask her directly if she can pull something off in your budget?

If you are willing to go “lower” in color (ie maybe yellowish of creamy white instead of bright white) it could be doable

Vendors I’ve seen with good pricing and true antiques below…I’d see what they have in stock and ask if they can recreate something like that ring you love

For example, look at the beautiful parcel here! Maybe they could swap out one for a slightly larger center? They could absolutely make that setting style! It would be at the top of your budget, but could work!

Ivy and rose has done a very similar custom project in the past

Omg, thank you!

Look at this! Like almost the same ring and swapped out with lab diamonds, maybe?

I'm totally willing to go for a lower grade color. I actually think warmer or creamy color diamonds are super pretty and have character <3

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Omg, thank you!

Look at this! Like almost the same ring and swapped out with lab diamonds, maybe?

I'm totally willing to go for a lower grade color. I actually think warmer or creamy color diamonds are super pretty and have character <3

You’ll have to decide what your priorities are! I’d prefer smaller natural stones than lab, but that’s ME!

And that ring is beautiful! I bet they could recreate it with lower color, slightly smaller stones in your budget. Especially if the center was below a carat, it’s totally doable!

These vendors I shared do not do labs, they are natural FYI. CVB can get labs! Maybe Dolly from Bijoux could too but I’m not sure. But she’s got an eye for a killer deal!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fig leaf band is beautiful.

Once you get your money back… Maybe sit on the project for a week or two and see if there’s anything you might like to change. You’ll have a full wallet and the jewellery world is yours! And at least for me - sometimes a situation feels differently after the fact, compared to when I’m in the middle of it, perhaps you’ll discover that you’d like to go in a different direction.

If you want to stay with this design my recommendations mirror Cerulean’s! I’ve had mounts made by CvB and Sako and I’ve bought stones from I&R (and I’d happily have them do a setting as well, for the right project). I’ve not worked with OWD but many PSers have, you can search PS for experiences :))

I would recommend reaching out to both CvB and Sako and explaining your project, showing your inspiration, and seeing what they come back with. In general even with new vendors I tend to also just state my max budget up front, but other people prefer to not be quite so blunt. With these vendors that we’re recommending - they aren’t going to price gouge you behind the scenes, no worries there. Sako can mimic the spirit of vintage and antique pieces perfectly - those little inconsistencies and asymmetries that gives older workmanship its charm, like in the Victor Barbone ring you like, Sako can reproduce that effect. Caysie’s work is different - it’s inspired by an older sense of style but the execution itself is always with modern precision. I’ll be very honest, I’d put CvB and Sako on a higher tier of workmanship than I&R and OWD, but *not* by a significant margin by any means - whichever vendor has the stones + mount package that you need is the right vendor for your project.

Caysie definitely sources labs. I’m not sure if Sako, I&R, and OWD do, or if they’ll work with your own stones. Definitely worth asking!

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
The fig leaf band is beautiful.

Once you get your money back… Maybe sit on the project for a week or two and see if there’s anything you might like to change. You’ll have a full wallet and the jewellery world is yours! And at least for me - sometimes a situation feels differently after the fact, compared to when I’m in the middle of it, perhaps you’ll discover that you’d like to go in a different direction.

If you want to stay with this design my recommendations mirror Cerulean’s! I’ve had mounts made by CvB and Sako and I’ve bought stones from I&R (and I’d happily have them do a setting as well, for the right project). I’ve not worked with OWD but many PSers have, you can search PS for experiences :))

I would recommend reaching out to both CvB and Sako and explaining your project, showing your inspiration, and seeing what they come back with. In general even with new vendors I tend to also just state my max budget up front, but other people prefer to not be quite so blunt. With these vendors that we’re recommending - they aren’t going to price gouge you behind the scenes, no worries there. Sako can mimic the spirit of vintage and antique pieces perfectly - those little inconsistencies and asymmetries that gives older workmanship its charm, like in the Victor Barbone ring you like, Sako can reproduce that effect. Caysie’s work is different - it’s inspired by an older sense of style but the execution itself is always with modern precision. I’ll be very honest, I’d put CvB and Sako on a higher tier of workmanship than I&R and OWD, but *not* by a significant margin by any means - whichever vendor has the stones + mount package that you need is the right vendor for your project.

Caysie definitely sources labs. I’m not sure if Sako, I&R, and OWD do, or if they’ll work with your own stones. Definitely worth asking!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be messaging I&R. I was scrolling through all of their IG pictures. They have done similar style settings https://www.instagram.com/p/CU0MQZZBLLt/
Also looking at their current diamond inventory. She's showing at the very least a couple of 1/2 carat mine cut diamonds in the $600-$700 price range that would make fantastic side diamonds. Her settings also look affordable. We would just need to find the right center diamond.

Update on the situation. She says she's out right now, but the moment she gets home, she'll start processing my refund. There was a lot of other heartfelt stuff in there too, but I just can't. Still no explanation for the photos. I just told her, thank you. Keeping it civil but being honest about why I am backing out.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t feel bad. This isn’t your fault and you’re (wisely, IMO) choosing to make it not your problem. Hopefully she’ll take this as a learning opportunity and take the stolen photos down, and use her own work instead.

You have no idea of how this ring would have turned out. Since you’ve never actually seen *her* work, only the work that she copies. And I know that she said that she’d send you photos prior to shipping out to approve, but once the piece is completed it’d only be that much harder to reject if you didn’t care for it! And honestly… Making settings is an art, and people who do it well are always proud to show their work off - if she was proud of her pieces she wouldn’t hesitate to showcase them!

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Don’t feel bad. This isn’t your fault and you’re (wisely, IMO) choosing to make it not your problem. Hopefully she’ll take this as a learning opportunity and take the stolen photos down, and use her own work instead.

You have no idea of how this ring would have turned out. Since you’ve never actually seen *her* work, only the work that she copies. And I know that she said that she’d send you photos prior to shipping out to approve, but once the piece is completed it’d only be that much harder to reject if you didn’t care for it! And honestly… Making settings is an art, and people who do it well are always proud to show their work off - if she was proud of her pieces she wouldn’t hesitate to showcase them!

Yeah... I'll get over it. I really wanted to believe in her. If she is exactly who and what she says she is, she's working awfully hard, and making one really huge mistake that is completely ruining her business and hard work. It's a shame. She's got to come to the realization that stealing photos is wrong and harmful to not just the jewelers she's stealing from, but to herself.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
This is my ering and wedder I had Julia B on Etsy make for me using her 'aster' template.
I have to be a serious super budget shopper and for me CvB/ Sako are dream goals but I can't plonk down several thousands on a mounting alone- my money has to go to the stone. I had these rings done for a really great price. She might be able to help you, she primarily does moissanites/mined/lab colored stones with diamond mounts but I'd ask her about sourcing some lab diamonds. It's good to have options!
759188 804085 760959 747753

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Got my refund! Guuh, though. It was not without some skin off my back. I felt really bad after everything she told me, but I have to hold her to the same standards I would any other jeweler. It's my only insurance. She claims the photos she posts, she comes by from the submission requests she gets from her customers and she doesn't always take photos of her own work... This is just kind of bananas to me, but on the chance that she is being extremely naive about the whole thing I told her exactly what it made her website look like to every potential customer with jewelry knowledge, unethical, and a scam, and her not being confident enough in her own work to the point where she would rather use photos of someone else's work instead of her own. She said she is going to take this seriously and have her team remove all the photos that are not theirs. I told her that I would like to maintain some faith in her and if she is sincere and removes all of the photos and replaces them with only photos of work from actual work she has produced, I will come back to her later for some custom work, and I do actually mean that. I've always wanted some earrings. That's besides the point, though. I figured I'd help her get a head start and offered to share every link that I know of that leads to the photos that she has copied on her listings. I figure if she is lying, she already has them and knows. If she isn't lying, it will demonstrate to her just how deep down the rabbit hole she has gotten herself into on using stolen photos. I explained I don't know where all of her photos come from, but about 30% I do, and I shared the sources with her. I also said her safest bet is to just take down everything that isn't hers, because it's the honest thing to do and all those photos came from somewhere. Someone will come along and recognize them, it will undermine her business, and she will never ever be rid of this issue until she does just that. Also, I told her she should ALWAYS take photos of every single piece of jewelry she creates, not just for marketing, but for liability, and insurance.

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
This is my ering and wedder I had Julia B on Etsy make for me using her 'aster' template.
I have to be a serious super budget shopper and for me CvB/ Sako are dream goals but I can't plonk down several thousands on a mounting alone- my money has to go to the stone. I had these rings done for a really great price. She might be able to help you, she primarily does moissanites/mined/lab colored stones with diamond mounts but I'd ask her about sourcing some lab diamonds. It's good to have options!
ouroborosstack1.jpeg IMG_20200729_113658411.jpg sparkleshot2.jpeg ringprofile1.jpeg

@ItsMainelyYou your ring is beautiful. Do you mind me asking for info on it? What size is your center and side stones? I have a 1.2 oval lab diamond that I want to reset but couldn’t decide on a setting. Think something like yours could be perfect as I have 2 rounds as well!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou your ring is beautiful. Do you mind me asking for info on it? What size is your center and side stones? I have a 1.2 oval lab diamond that I want to reset but couldn’t decide on a setting. Think something like yours could be perfect as I have 2 rounds as well!

:bigsmile: Well, thank you! The main stone is a 9x7.2mm and the side stones are 4mm. It's my absolute sweet spot for largest size with good spread, but never overwhelming on the hand.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got my refund! Guuh, though. It was not without some skin off my back. I felt really bad after everything she told me, but I have to hold her to the same standards I would any other jeweler. It's my only insurance. She claims the photos she posts, she comes by from the submission requests she gets from her customers and she doesn't always take photos of her own work... This is just kind of bananas to me, but on the chance that she is being extremely naive about the whole thing I told her exactly what it made her website look like to every potential customer with jewelry knowledge, unethical, and a scam, and her not being confident enough in her own work to the point where she would rather use photos of someone else's work instead of her own. She said she is going to take this seriously and have her team remove all the photos that are not theirs. I told her that I would like to maintain some faith in her and if she is sincere and removes all of the photos and replaces them with only photos of work from actual work she has produced, I will come back to her later for some custom work, and I do actually mean that. I've always wanted some earrings. That's besides the point, though. I figured I'd help her get a head start and offered to share every link that I know of that leads to the photos that she has copied on her listings. I figure if she is lying, she already has them and knows. If she isn't lying, it will demonstrate to her just how deep down the rabbit hole she has gotten herself into on using stolen photos. I explained I don't know where all of her photos come from, but about 30% I do, and I shared the sources with her. I also said her safest bet is to just take down everything that isn't hers, because it's the honest thing to do and all those photos came from somewhere. Someone will come along and recognize them, it will undermine her business, and she will never ever be rid of this issue until she does just that. Also, I told her she should ALWAYS take photos of every single piece of jewelry she creates, not just for marketing, but for liability, and insurance.

Trust me, she knows all of this!

I might buy her having delegated putting photos up to someone on her team, who then used other vendors’ pictures without her knowledge - but in that case her first response would have been apologetic horror, not explanations/excuses.

She’s a business owner, it’s her responsibility to understand the ethics of her business. Please don’t feel sorry for her. Seriously. We see this sort of thing so often on here. The only vendors worth a second look are those who immediately acknowledge their error and fix it, without hesitation or delay.

Last edited:

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
:bigsmile: Well, thank you! The main stone is a 9x7.2mm and the side stones are 4mm. It's my absolute sweet spot for largest size with good spread, but never overwhelming on the hand.

Thank you so much. My center is 8.16x6 mm and my sides are around 4.5mm so I would have similar overall length slightly different proportions! I’ve tossed up setting the oval e/w as I love the look but wanted full finger coverage but never thought about setting it with side stones! Thanks again.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Trust me, she knows all of this!

I might buy her having delegated putting photos up to someone on her team, who then used other vendors’ pictures without her knowledge - but in that case her first response would have been apologetic horror, not explanations/excuses.

She’s a business owner, it’s her responsibility to understand the ethics of her business. Please don’t feel sorry for her. Seriously. We see this sort of thing so often on here. The only vendors worth a second look are those who immediately acknowledge their error and fix it, without hesitation or delay.

Second this. As an aside, someone edited those pictures from the original vendors' websites to make them more untraceable. That makes her intent questionable.

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
So... I'm super new-baby to this whole custom work thing. How long is a normal-ish amount of time for it to take for a jeweler to get back to you about a custom work inquiry. A very highly detailed information, custom work inquiry specifically? Also, if they are not interested in helping you, is it custom for them to just say so in one way or another...or just not respond? It's only been a couple of days, fyi. I'm feeling anxious and ringless after this whole fiasco. I've seen a couple of "real vintage" versions of what I like, but I'm totally paranoid now if they are for reals. Vintage rings are a bit of a different territory..not all come certified bc the diamonds are in original settings, made before certifying was a thing, etc. etc.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So... I'm super new-baby to this whole custom work thing. How long is a normal-ish amount of time for it to take for a jeweler to get back to you about a custom work inquiry. A very highly detailed information, custom work inquiry specifically? Also, if they are not interested in helping you, is it custom for them to just say so in one way or another...or just not respond? It's only been a couple of days, fyi. I'm feeling anxious and ringless after this whole fiasco. I've seen a couple of "real vintage" versions of what I like, but I'm totally paranoid now if they are for reals. Vintage rings are a bit of a different territory..not all come certified bc the diamonds are in original settings, made before certifying was a thing, etc. etc.

What is “very highly detailed”?

Who did you contact? Some do better by phone, Instagram, or email

One thing I’ve found - I expect it can be overwhelming to send long winded emails

molecule

Brilliant_Rock

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results