shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone buy from Chelsea Leigh and Co on Etsy?

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Wondering if anyone has bought from this vendor who I stumbled upon on Etsy when I was browsing "for fun".

She looks to be custom cutting some lab antique cuts and what caught my eye was her offering of custom cuts of OMCs which look closer to "true OMCs" compared to the other lab vendors I've looked at.

I did start a preliminary conversation with her to get a closer look and she sent along some additional photos and videos (can possibly share later in another thread), but before I keep the conversation going, I was interested in seeing if anyone had purchased or knows of her.

She looks to be a newer company on Etsy with less than 50 reviews, which of course makes me wary if I am serious about making a purchase.

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
After reading the fine print…. LGDs are not certified. Only graded by their own gemologist. Too me that never makes sense. If that gemologist is actually legit and doing the work of grading then why not have it certified? Especially with their credentials. Since that is what their job pays them for. Same situation as Vrai stones. But Vrai actually states it is a gemologist certified with GIA. Also the mined diamonds on the site are Clarity Enhanced. So there’s that lol. Im not bashing them as the reviews are all positive. Just stating the facts as I am on a hunt for a new ring also and have learned to read EVERYTHING!

Last edited:

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
“The grading’s posted were taken from an appraisal completed by a Certified Gemologist.
If unfamiliar with the diamond labs used to evaluate diamonds you can research them online. EGL, GIE etc, all have different grading standards than IGI or IGL and GIA.
Appraisals by other grading institutes are different than the standards used by GIA appraisers.
They grade more generously and will be different. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a Diamond graded by a different lab, as long as you understand what you are buying and pay accordingly. They should always cost less”.

Tricky wording. Actually doesn’t even say what lab the gemologist is certified with.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I would not purchase on the grounds that she is using other vendor's ring pictures. I don't see any/enough detailed images of her manufactured rings to have any confidence in what she's selling.

*gasp*!! did she really??? :shock: thanks for that. to be honest i had major alarms going off and i just needed others to validate what I was already thinking.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
“The grading’s posted were taken from an appraisal completed by a Certified Gemologist.
If unfamiliar with the diamond labs used to evaluate diamonds you can research them online. EGL, GIE etc, all have different grading standards than IGI or IGL and GIA.
Appraisals by other grading institutes are different than the standards used by GIA appraisers.
They grade more generously and will be different. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a Diamond graded by a different lab, as long as you understand what you are buying and pay accordingly. They should always cost less”.

Tricky wording. Actually doesn’t even say what lab the gemologist is certified with.

Agree, agree. I mean I'm not here to bring down companies but as a non-expert but trying to be educated PS-er I did ask quite a few questions including one that asked "can you please clarify if your diamonds ARE appraised/cert by GIA? it was not clear from your description".

I would get replies to some of my questions but not all which I thought was interesting so I would keep digging a bit. (and also gave benefit of the doubt bc I thought I was being spoiled by the awesome customer service and responses given by other reputable PS vendors here).

Guess it was too good to be true but better to know than to not know! Thanks for your response :)

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Yup. Erika Winters actually emailed me about that store and I’ve reported the vendor to Etsy. Shamelessly stealing other vendors’ photos.

That Etsy fraud has no relationship to https://chelsealeighjewelry.com/ btw.

Omy goodness! Honestly if not for PS and trying to educate myself with all the information here, I wonder if I would have been duped too. So scary.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
*gasp*!! did she really??? :shock: thanks for that. to be honest i had major alarms going off and i just needed others to validate what I was already thinking.

There are an overwhelming number of pictures from Lang's.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually doesn’t even say what lab the gemologist is certified with.

can you please clarify if your diamonds ARE appraised/cert by GIA? it was not clear from your description".

There's so much confusion, based on verbiage....and there are vendors ( unfortunately) who abuse the terms purposefully.
1) GIA certifies...NOTHING. They examine diamonds and issue reports. Not "certificates"
They also train gemologists. Again, no gemologist is "certified" ( like, for example, a Doctor, or Electrician) The GIA GG ( Graduate Gemologist) degree is a great starting point....but really GIA doesn't teach practical knowledge which is essential in the diamond business.
SO you can possess a GG and know very much less than some of our PS members.....

There is no "number 2":)

PS_ I don't want to be the "word police"...no one participating here is trying to mislead...I'm just working to clarify......

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
There's so much confusion, based on verbiage....and there are vendors ( unfortunately) who abuse the terms purposefully.
1) GIA certifies...NOTHING. They examine diamonds and issue reports. Not "certificates"
They also train gemologists. Again, no gemologist is "certified" ( like, for example, a Doctor, or Electrician) The GIA GG ( Graduate Gemologist) degree is a great starting point....but really GIA doesn't teach practical knowledge which is essential in the diamond business.
SO you can possess a GG and know very much less than some of our PS members.....

There is no "number 2":)

PS_ I don't want to be the "word police"...no one participating here is trying to mislead...I'm just working to clarify......

Thanks for the clarification :) always helpful to keep learning.

tr401

Rough_Rock
Wondering if anyone has bought from this vendor who I stumbled upon on Etsy when I was browsing "for fun".

She looks to be custom cutting some lab antique cuts and what caught my eye was her offering of custom cuts of OMCs which look closer to "true OMCs" compared to the other lab vendors I've looked at.

I did start a preliminary conversation with her to get a closer look and she sent along some additional photos and videos (can possibly share later in another thread), but before I keep the conversation going, I was interested in seeing if anyone had purchased or knows of her.

She looks to be a newer company on Etsy with less than 50 reviews, which of course makes me wary if I am serious about making a purchase.

Hi AL12,

I am guessing I know the answer, but did you end up working with this seller? Based on the rest of this thread, the seller seems sketchy but I recently found a listing I was interested in that I haven’t seen others offer. Thanks!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Hi AL12,

I am guessing I know the answer, but did you end up working with this seller? Based on the rest of this thread, the seller seems sketchy but I recently found a listing I was interested in that I haven’t seen others offer. Thanks!

Hi there, no I dropped correspondence with them quickly after the above posts.

I absolutely trust PS-ers, this seller has multiple red flags and is 99.9% trying to run a scam. I am surprised their shop is still up? I would not pursue…

tr401

Rough_Rock
Hi there, no I dropped correspondence with them quickly after the above posts.

I absolutely trust PS-ers, this seller has multiple red flags and is 99.9% trying to run a scam. I am surprised their shop is still up? I would not pursue…

Thank you!

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
I am currently buying a ring from this seller. First of all I would like to say, she currently does not have any photos from other vendors that I am aware of, on her site. Especially not from Lang Jewellers. Maybe this was before my time or maybe there was a mistake in identifying this from someone who thought there were stollen stock photos. All I know is what I see now. She has overwhelmingly positive reviews, all 5 star except for a 4 star review. All of the reviews come from real Etsy purchasers, who's names you can click on and see what they have recently purchased and what shops and products they have favorited. Etsy does not allow vendors to remove negative reviews. She also has a solid return policy in her store policies. All of these are hallmarks of a legitimate business. As for the quality of the diamonds. It is a little iffy, the description she provides. What it comes down to is why are you purchasing the ring and diamonds? For some people, they will not care if their diamonds are worth a lot or not, they will love them regardless. I myself am almost in this boat. Another thing to keep in mind is that not all diamonds can be high pressure heat treated (HPHT). If they are natural diamond receiving HPHT, they have to at least be VS2 clarity otherwise the diamond could break during the treatment. Then their are the HPHT lab diamonds. She does not hide that her diamonds are lab created, but apparently she doesn't certify them herself. I do find that confusing. My plan is to take my ring to be appraised within the return window and if all is not fine, unfortunately I will return it.

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Update. I asked her if my diamonds could be certified and she said absolutely. It would take an extra 10 days and a fee per diamond, but they would be sent to an IGI lab for certification and serialization before they are set in the ring and an appraisal is also provided with all purchases through her and her team. I have all of this in writing, which Etsy feels strongly about sellers providing what they have put in writing. I feel like if she was running a scam, this would be the last place she would be selling while being this detailed and forth coming in writing. If you want an affordable ring with great curb appeal, I see zero shame in it and anyone interested in her rings, should give her a try. I've found her to be responsive to all of my questions within 24 hours time, every time.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Update. I asked her if my diamonds could be certified and she said absolutely. It would take an extra 10 days and a fee per diamond, but they would be sent to an IGI lab for certification and serialization before they are set in the ring and an appraisal is also provided with all purchases through her and her team. I have all of this in writing, which Etsy feels strongly about sellers providing what they have put in writing. I feel like if she was running a scam, this would be the last place she would be selling while being this detailed and forth coming in writing. If you want an affordable ring with great curb appeal, I see zero shame in it and anyone interested in her rings, should give her a try. I've found her to be responsive to all of my questions within 24 hours time, every time.

Are you sure you aren’t confusing Chelsea Leigh w ChelseaLeigh and Co? The link below is the company in question using stolen photos.

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Are you sure you aren’t confusing Chelsea Leigh w ChelseaLeigh and Co? The link below is the company in question using stolen photos.

No, I'm not getting them confused. The one I am talking about is the same one you linked. Which photos are stolen? I was trying to figure out which ones were being referenced as stolen, and do you have a link to the website they were stolen from?
Chelsea Leigh and Co are located in Virginia Beach, VA.
Chelsea Leigh is located in Maryland. The last name Leigh is not an uncommon name and neither is the first name Chelsea. It's possible for two jewelers to have the same first and last name, and Chelsea Leigh and Co has a team of people. Where as Chelsea Leigh Jewelry is a one jeweler operation.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
There is some photoshopping on the pictures, but I've been around a bit too long that I recognize the images so well. Lang's has very identifiable photo set up. Most of the pros take pictures in a fairly consistent way, so large differences in photostyles is a bad sign.

Is Lang's

James Meyer

Lang's

Victor Barbone, I think

Distinctive Gems

SingleStone ring owned by someone on PS

Erstwhile

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @molecule and others for input. I’ve tried stop engaging in this thread as I don’t want to give this vendor and thread more visibility however I feel as if I have to add at least one more reply.

Although there is no way to make this sound not offensive, I hope I can communicate this in the most polite way possible. I do think the posts from user D-F are extremely odd and gives me additional red flags. At least for me, it is not normal to staunchly defend a vendor and with long posts unless I’m a frequent consumer. From their comments they make it seem as if it’s not even a completed purchase with verified authenticity of the end product. It leads me to wonder if this user has a personal stake in this vendor being discussed or is somehow affiliated and I regret even opening this thread.

Again, I don’t know any facts, these are just my observations and I trust PS-ers. And because I worry, I wonder if we should be selective in “proving our point” to avoid giving this vendor constructive criticism on how to make their site/conversation more believable?

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
There is some photoshopping on the pictures, but I've been around a bit too long that I recognize the images so well. Lang's has very identifiable photo set up. Most of the pros take pictures in a fairly consistent way, so large differences in photostyles is a bad sign.

Is Lang's

James Meyer

Lang's

Victor Barbone, I think

Distinctive Gems

SingleStone ring owned by someone on PS

Erstwhile

Thank you for sharing. I will investigate further. I sincerely hope this jeweler is for real because I am on a payment plan with her and my ring is a little over 50% paid for now.

I guess what gets me, is that she has a video of every single one of her rings and its the same hands in each video. So, at worst she is stealing stock photos and is really good at making replica rings. Although, I can't find the exact same rings she is selling on any of these sights, just similar ones, sometimes. I realize some of these jewelers are selling vintage one of a kinds. At best, there are stock backgrounds that are available to everyone, that you can like drop an object you are selling onto a clean looking background and pick style of lighting and shading, that maybe some of these other more high end jewelers are using, and so is she? Maybe? I don't know. I'm hoping for the best here.

Last edited:

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Thank you @molecule and others for input. I’ve tried stop engaging in this thread as I don’t want to give this vendor and thread more visibility however I feel as if I have to add at least one more reply.

Although there is no way to make this sound not offensive, I hope I can communicate this in the most polite way possible. I do think the posts from user D-F are extremely odd and gives me additional red flags. At least for me, it is not normal to staunchly defend a vendor and with long posts unless I’m a frequent consumer. From their comments they make it seem as if it’s not even a completed purchase with verified authenticity of the end product. It leads me to wonder if this user has a personal stake in this vendor being discussed or is somehow affiliated and I regret even opening this thread.

Again, I don’t know any facts, these are just my observations and I trust PS-ers. And because I worry, I wonder if we should be selective in “proving our point” to avoid giving this vendor constructive criticism on how to make their site/conversation more believable?

You're right, there is no way to make that sound not-offensive. I am not "staunchly defending" anyone here. Actually I am sincerely hoping everyone here is completely wrong because I am a little over half finished purchasing a ring from this vendor. I just thought it was fair to point out everything that I have noticed about her site, that made me trust her enough to start giving her my money, and give a live and accurate account of my experience with her so far. What if she is legit and you are running her name through the mud? What if she is running a scam and I get proof? I just thought, since I have already committed and dove in, and this is like the only post about this vendor, outside of Etsy, it could be helpful to anyone who is looking to buy from her. I have been giving honest feedback here. Isn't that what you were looking for? The truth? So, if you could please leave the thread open, I will continue to give accurate updates. In about 2 more months I'll have my ring completely purchased, and in probably about 3 months, I will have the actual ring. I can post pictures and give more detail on what it was like. Will I get ripped off or will I get a ring that makes me happy? Who knows, yet? Don't you want to find out? Isn't that why you asked in the first place?

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Well, it's not looking good. This was the ring I was going to buy and I found this, thanks to that thorough list provided by Molecule. https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/marielle

I've confronted her about it and she hasn't responded but all of a sudden the link to the ring I am buying is broken after I sent her a message. Like what is the deal? Skilled jewelers can make replicas, okay, sure, but stealing an actual stock photo? Why not just take your own photos, unless there is something shady about the rings themselves... I'm afraid I'm getting scammed. I hope Etsy has a good protection policy against this or else I will have to work with my bank about it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Well, it's not looking good. This was the ring I was going to buy and I found this, thanks to that thorough list provided by Molecule. https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/marielle

I've confronted her about it and she hasn't responded but all of a sudden the link to the ring I am buying is broken after I sent her a message. Like what is the deal? Skilled jewelers can make replicas, okay, sure, but stealing an actual stock photo? Why not just take your own photos, unless there is something shady about the rings themselves... I'm afraid I'm getting scammed. I hope Etsy has a good protection policy against this or else I will have to work with my bank about it.

I’m so sorry to hear that. Are you proceeding with the purchase or are you going to try to back out and get a refund? Is the latter and you paid for a credit card and kept Etsy communication then you have excellent she says. Fingers crossed for you!!

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Okay, update. Wow, I have to say I am super intensely surprised. I have been screwed over by one other Etsy seller before, and with much back and forth, for like 2 weeks, she finally, begrudgingly, made it right.
This situation has taken a complete 180.
Okay, so she responded within about 2 hours. Her message was heartfelt, kind, she explained that they indeed do replicas of high end jewelry pieces all of the time. People send in photos of rings they can't afford, and she makes them with materials that they can afford, and obviously isn't charging much for her time. She also will reproduce family heirlooms that have been lost, if they can supply photos... and she immediately offered me a complete refund, with no hard feelings and a hope I will return some day and just being overall sorry that I have been caused stress over something that is supposed to be happy. Her response was nothing like my other experience with a much nastier Etsy seller, not honoring her side of a business transaction.
I slept on it, discussed with the fiancé and we agreed that if she could provide actual photos of the ring itself being made, it would reassure us. I proposed this. Granted I am only 50% through our payments to her, and they don't start producing the ring until customers are at 80% payment. She responded that not only would she provide photos, she would start my ring today, mail me the setting for my approval, then the diamonds, once they were cut, for my approval, and would not require I pay more until I am satisfied and approve of the whole ring. If I am still not happy, I can back out for a complete refund. She also has a solid return policy on finished rings.

So, after all of that, I honestly couldn't turn her offer down to go such lengths to make me happy and reassure me, at literally no risk to me financially. Everything is in writing. I honestly, really really love this ring and was heart broken at the idea of it being too good to be true. I've looked at thousands of rings, and this was like "IT" for me. The one. So, I'm going for it. Whatever the deal is with the photos, I don't know. Maybe she purposely takes them so the rings are recognizable as direct replicas of the high end "real thing", for those that are good at recognizing a specific ring, from a specific higher end jeweler. Does it undermine what she's doing? yeah I think so. It makes people wary, when maybe they shouldn't be. If you think about it though, if this is for real, what she is actually doing is pretty freaking awesome for people like me (someone with fine taste and not the finances to back it up, lol). She's choosing to take what may be incredible skill, and cater to lower income people, who lets face it, most jewelers with that kind of skill see as a waste of their time, and not their target customer pool.
I sincerely hope, in the coming months, I have more good things to report and some great photos of my ring to share.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, update. Wow, I have to say I am super intensely surprised. I have been screwed over by one other Etsy seller before, and with much back and forth, for like 2 weeks, she finally, begrudgingly, made it right.
Okay, so she responded within about 2 hours. Her message was heartfelt, kind, she explained that they indeed do replicas of high end jewelry pieces all of the time. People send in photos of rings they can't afford, and she makes them with materials that they can afford, and obviously isn't charging much for her time. She also will reproduce family heirlooms that have been lost, if they can supply photos... and she immediately offered me a complete refund, with no hard feelings and a hope I will return some day and just being overall sorry that I have been caused stress over something that is supposed to be happy. Her response was nothing like my other experience with a much nastier Etsy seller, not honoring her side of a business transaction.
I slept on it, discussed with the fiancé and we agreed that if she could provide actual photos of the ring itself being made, it would reassure us. I proposed this. Granted I am only 50% through our payments to her, and they don't start producing the ring until customers are at 80% payment. She responded that not only would she provide photos, she would start my ring today, mail me the setting for my approval, then the diamonds, once they were cut, for my approval, and would not require I pay more until I am satisfied and approve of the whole ring. If I am still not happy, I can back out for a complete refund. She also has a solid return policy on finished rings.

So, after all of that, I honestly couldn't turn her offer down to go such lengths to make me happy and reassure me, at literally no risk to me financially. Everything is in writing. I honestly, really really love this ring and was heart broken at the idea of it being too good to be true. I've looked at thousands of rings, and this was like "IT" for me. The one. So, I'm going for it. Whatever the deal is with the photos, I don't know. Maybe she purposely takes them so the rings are recognizable as direct replicas of the high end "real thing", for those that are good at recognizing a specific ring, from a specific higher end jeweler. Does it undermine what she's doing? yeah I think so. It makes people wary, when maybe they shouldn't be. If you think about it though, if this is for real, what she is actually doing is pretty freaking awesome for people like me (someone with fine taste and not the finances to back it up, lol). She's choosing to take what may be incredible skill, and cater to lower income people, who lets face it, most jewelers with that kind of skill see as a waste of their time, and not their target customer pool.
I sincerely hope, in the coming months, I have more good things to report and some great photos of my ring to share.

I'm glad you came to a resolution you could work with. Please post photos when you receive them.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I can't imagine that much verbiage if she weren't sincere. Usually you get blown off in two sentences. I would do as you're doing. A VB Marielle style ring, holy Hannah.
The demand for pictures will be immense.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
@Daimond-Friend

Hi there. I can see you’re very emotionally invested in this purchase so I likely mistook your long posts about your interactions with the seller as something of concern. I think I was also surprised that you were in the middle of a purchase despite all the warnings from above. I want to apologize again as it’s clear that you were not happy with my post and I knew you likely would be.

Because of your emotional investment I’m not here to battle who is right or wrong but when it comes to scamming I have zero tolerance and I would never want anyone to be victim to it whether I know them personally or not.

Two other issues of concern that I would like you to consider are 1) multiple reviews by the same person or even a shared name/shared name on the same day. Of course people can have the same name, but if you only have 100 reviews the statistical chance of that happening over and over is suspect 2) grammar and punctuation errors similar to common email or cyber ware scams. I won’t go into specifics but you should know what I mean as I’ve only had a few conversations and you’ve looked to have many.

I know I said before that I would try not to post again but…my protective nature is likely coming out.

Ultimately, I wish you the best and truly hope you have an amazing outcome and come back to share and prove that this can be a trusted vendor. That being said, I am cautious by nature so it would take a veteran PS-er to vouch for this vendor or multiple Ps-ers for me to even consider this vendor.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

I’m going to be blunt, it’s going to seem unkind and maybe even mean, but my intentions are good.

She’s deliberately stealing other artist’s designs AND images and passing them off as her own. That is theft, plain and simple.

If she was tweaking designs and actually using photos of her own work, different story. There are even other designers who will happily directly replicate work, like David Klass, but he would never, EVER use another vendor’s photography of THEIR work. I’m not sure if this is your first big jewelry purchase, but in the realm of ethical jewelers, this is not normal or acceptable and I’m honestly a bit shocked that some more seasoned PSers aren’t being more frank with you. A few forum members who are very experienced have already cautioned working with this vendor, and I’d heed their warnings.

This isn’t in the “grey area” of what is right and wrong for artists and jewelers. She is conspicuously doing something that is totally unethical and it’s indefensible. I suspect that she is manipulating you and that you are being scammed. If she is sincere, which I doubt, she’s totally clueless and I wouldn’t trust the quality of her work on that basis alone. What she is doing is HARMFUL to other artists. She is hurting artists who work hard, put a lot of care and attention into their work, their client relationships, craftsmanship, etc…she’s basically undermining everything they do. You’re putting way too much trust in someone who’s already proven themselves to be untrustworthy. People have absolutely lost money / been screwed over by vendors on Etsy, and never saw their money again after the vendors vanished. If you are using layover, I expect you’re paying cash. You have much less recourse than you are convincing yourself you do. Etsy is not infallible and they don’t have 100% resolution on every case. If you’re using credit or PayPal, you may have better luck…but why knowingly invite the stress and anxiety?

I wish you the best of luck, but in all sincerity. There is zero chance I’d trust this vendor. She also only has 40 reviews, and they seem fishy.

There’s also no concern over dragging her name through the mud because she’s already breached the ethics of what any upstanding, legit jeweler would do. Do not feel bad about her reputation and let that make you feel guilty, because she’s probably counting on you feeling that way unfortunately. I’m sure her messages have been very compelling, as scammers usually are…

This is an exciting time and you should work with someone you don’t have these concerns about. There are plenty of legit vendors who can work with a variety of budgets and I’m sure many of us would be more than happy to point you in a better direction. I’m only being so firm because I’d hate for this to blow up for you. If this is money you can’t afford to lose, I’d urge you to request a refund.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results