clarity

Anybody ever heard of CGL?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw in a post here somewhere that it's a reputable lab in Japan, but that's about it

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Their website hasn’t been updated since 2013 perhaps going by the footers at the bottom of each page?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
there are CGL, CGL, and CGL.

Certified Gemological Laboratory of Europe
Central Gem Laboratory
CGL-GRS Swiss Canadian Gemlab

Can't they do at least minimal market research and come up with more unique names than CGL???

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
there are CGL, CGL, and CGL.

Certified Gemological Laboratory of Europe
Central Gem Laboratory
CGL-GRS Swiss Canadian Gemlab

Can't they come up with more unique names than CGL???
Not to mention at least 3 that I know work with colored stones.

Bruxeller

Rough_Rock
I got a certificate from them, for a gold bracelet which I bought supposedly from Boston but then shipped from Israel. The most inaccurate certificate: it states "white gold" when the item is rhodium plated yellow gold, and it says it includes a stone, where there is none. Perhaps the weigth is correct. Stay away.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Post a copy of the document. It may not be all that helpful but it should, at least, zero in on exactly who we're talking about. There are a lot of companies that might be inclined to use the acronym CGL and they are definitely not the same.

I say it may not matter because you already have reason not to trust them. Anyone who wants to can call themselves a 'gem lab' and they can say pretty much whatever they want. The solution is that you don't need to care. The burden is on them to convince you their opinions have merit and the default answer is NO.

Bruxeller

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the hint, here it is. They state "white gold" for a rhodium plated yellow gold (see picture), with no diamonds at all. And supposedly nickel-free (but no mention of it). Is this serious?

Attachments

• IMG_7183.jpeg
    IMG_7183.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7167.jpg
    IMG_7167.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 19

Bruxeller

Rough_Rock
Actually, the certificate was offered. Still, it was just a cover for a scam: rhodium plated yellow gold cannot be sold as white gold.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Actually, the certificate was offered. Still, it was just a cover for a scam: rhodium plated yellow gold cannot be sold as white gold.

@Bruxeller , it may be interesting to know that traditional nickel white gold is indeed yellow gold (75%, which corresponds to the 750 stamp) alloyed with another metal - then plated with rhodium to improve its whiteness.

Below:

1. 18K yellow gold
2. 18K white gold (yellow gold, rhodium plated)
3. 18K palladium white gold, not plated

1623192187290.png

There are newer white gold alloys, along with palladium white gold, which don't require rhodium plating.

More information can be found on our education page: White Gold vs Platinum.

Bruxeller

Rough_Rock
Thanks John, this was clear to me. I'm aware that "18k white gold" must contain 75% pure gold (which is yellow), and that whatever other metal you add it does not look as white as when it's rhodium plated. But the one I got is so yellow that it must have been blended with almost pure copper (this I can also tell from its high density), which make it as the stupidest choice to sell as "white gold"; as soon as the plating goes (see picture), yellow resurfaces and it looks very strange.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
which make it as the stupidest choice to sell as "white gold";

Didn't Forrest Gump say something like, "Stupid is as stupid does"?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results