shape
carat
color
clarity

any yellow gold fans out there?....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
I am a child of the 70s and 80s. graduated high school in 1980.

To try to be fashionable, i recently tiptoed/ventured into white gold arena. i bought a filigree pink topaz antique looking set last year. this year i bought the sirena white gold dangly earrings and pendant.

What I am discovering is I don''t like rhodium. when I look at rhodium, all I think of is the periodic table and "This isn''t gold" or "This isn''t platinum".... i don''t enjoy wearing it because I think it is a sham -- trying to be platinum.

rhodium next to my irish skin looks like a surgical instrument. reflects this ugly metallic color.

I will try unplated platinum next. If I can afford to play.

I am planning to sell the white gold pieces. Anyone else feel this way?

U2Forever

Rough_Rock
OMG! I know I don''t post often, but I had to chime in on this one. To me gold is GOLD and it must be yellow or it''s not gold (please remember this is my opinion only). If I want a white metal then it must be platinum. I mean just look at the richness of this 18k yellow gold! It''s yellow gold all the way for me.
DSCN4200800.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I understand, Ladykemma. I graduated high school in ''82. Up until a year or so ago, all my jewelery was either yellow gold or 2-tone. I finally have turned the corner though and purchased several completely white pieces. I prefer platinum, but sometimes the price is too much for a particular piece so I''ll go with white gold with rhodium.

Just about now, when I''m getting more comfortable with wearing all white, I see that yellow is beginning to make a come-back. Thankfully I have enough of my 2-tone items to mix it all up. Depending on one''s skin tone, I do think that sometimes one or the other looks better, but a lot of it is brainwashing.
9.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
So interesting....

I almost exclusively wear white metal (mostly platinum) jewelry, while most of my YG stuff from the ''70s-''80s gathers dust in my jewelry box. This might be because I''ve become so enamored and obsessed with period Deco jewelry, which is usually platinum.

That said, one of my very favorite eyecandy threads is AGBF''s "Favorite Gold Designer" thread. I just can''t get enough of these fabulous pieces!
3.gif

Yellow gold is seems so much warmer, more organic, well...sexier than cool, standoffish white metal....

widget

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I love love love yellow gold. I just turned 48, so I''m a child of the 70s/80s too. I don''t own much jewelry, and unfortunately, everything I own is 14k except for a pair of 18k/sterling scarab earrings from Tiffany, and oh, my diamond studs are set in 18k. I''m going to be gradually replacing the settings of my other jewelry into 18k, and am planning the purchase of the Tiffany 18k bangle (can''t afford that Gurhan stuff!).

I love the rich look of yellow gold, especially against diamonds. I''ve been planning a penant purchase, and after seeing the lily setting that someone (I forget who!) is doing for a pendant with Bill Pearlman, I would love to do something similar in a rich 18k gold with a diamond center.

I do not like the look of white metal. I don''t like white gold at all. If I had to have white metal I would choose platinum, but I would choose the yellow gold over platinum.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I dont like it on myself but I think it looks wonderful on my mother. And I have some two tone pieces which I am quite fond of, I like the extra warmth as long as it is not overwhelming. (I have the true cool skin tone, with very light blonde hair, blue eyes, skin one shade darker then parchment...)

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2006 10:13:09 AM
Author: Matatora
I dont like it on myself but I think it looks wonderful on my mother. And I have some two tone pieces which I am quite fond of, I like the extra warmth as long as it is not overwhelming. (I have the true cool skin tone, with very light blonde hair, blue eyes, skin one shade darker then parchment...)

Totally not how I pictured you, Mat. I was envisioning brunette. Isn''t that funny? Is there a pic of you posted here someplace that I either missed or forgot?

I do agree that yellow metal looks better on some skin tones as does white. A good friend of mine is a redhead, and yellow is definitely better on her. I am somewhat fair skinned with light to medium brown hair and blue eyes. I wear both and feel it looks okay. Some gemstones look better to me in one or the other. Diamond, well, they go both ways.

9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
This is very dark photo of me at 8...and in yellow gold no less.
2.gif
If you grew out the bangs you would know exactly how I look now...
BlueEyesat8.JPG

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out the ''Jewelry Pieces'' section of PS? There are lots of yg lovers and threads there!! And since my family is from Italy, I''ve got a fair share of the yellow stuff.
2.gif

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/4/2006 5:56:01 AM
Author:ladykemma

What I am discovering is I don''t like rhodium. when I look at rhodium, all I think of is the periodic table and ''This isn''t gold'' or ''This isn''t platinum''.... i don''t enjoy wearing it because I think it is a sham -- trying to be platinum.

I graduated from high school in 1979. I grew up in a place and time where any kind of "plating" on jewellery was considered naff, and in my mind I can''t separate "gold-plated brass" from "rhodium-plated gold".

I have one white gold ring, which I bought because I liked the style and it only came in white. I never wear it, and it looks like silver to me so I feel like I overpaid for gold.

I''d rather wear 9 or 10 carat yellow gold than 18 carat white gold.

It''s really interesting that it seems to be the baby boomers who are the die-hard yellow gold fans. I don''t worry about fashion, and it doesn''t bother me whether yellow gold comes back into popularity. Even though I got engaged in 2003, the ring I picked screams "1980s" because that''s just a style I''m into. I like that it looks like I''ve been married for 25 years, rather than having a hip and trendy current design.

Along with having the yellow gold preference, I am also one of those who wouldn''t upgrade because an engagement ring - to me - is the one you got when you got engaged. If I wanted a bigger rock, it would be a RHR; I certainly don''t want to get a more fashionable setting.

signed, "the biggest old fogie in the world"
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2006 12:24:53 PM
Author: Matatora
This is very dark photo of me at 8...and in yellow gold no less.
2.gif
If you grew out the bangs you would know exactly how I look now...
BlueEyesat8.JPG
You are adorable, Mat. I looked pretty dorky at 8 -- wouldn''t dare post that here on PS -- heehee.

Speaking of plating, I did not even know that white gold was plated until about 3 or 4 years ago. I even had a few 2-tone pieces with plenty of white gold on them, but no one ever mentioned to me that they were rhodium plated. Honestly, I think the general public/average consumer has no idea that white gold is plated and thinks white gold is natrually that shiny white color.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YG,WG just go in cycles,soon, YG will make a come back .

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with DF. It''ll be back.
Lady k I too have the irish skin that just doesn''t work with the white metals. I''m whiter than the white on the metals.
20.gif
But other people say it works on me. So I don''t know. I say wear what you like. To heck with what others think. It''s what makes you happy. I''m a child of the same era(
32.gif
eek era
32.gif
)and grew up surrounded by yellow gold. But my mom and aunts and all their friends all had platinum and white gold so I was instilled witht the idea that white metals=class and luxury. It''s just a personal preferance. I say have a set of jewelry in each color. Double your bling.
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Funny this topic should come up, as I was speaking to an old pal the other day about this very thing--yellow gold...but for the custom diamond earrings/pendant I just had made, my last 5 jewellery purchases have all been in yellow gold (18k and higher); and I love it all over again!

cheers--Sharon

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
ya know it''s the rhodium I don''t like. i like faded white gold and unplated platinum.

remember the thread by the lady in canada who had the gorgeous stone in the unplated white gold crooked setting. (she returned it). I thought that ring was a stunner.

if i were to choose a new setting it would be 18K YG > platinum >14k YG > 10k YG

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2006 7:29:42 PM
Author: ladykemma
ya know it's the rhodium I don't like. i like faded white gold and unplated platinum.

remember the thread by the lady in canada who had the gorgeous stone in the unplated white gold crooked setting. (she returned it). I thought that ring was a stunner.

if i were to choose a new setting it would be 18K YG > platinum >14k YG > 10k YG
Me too!!!! I can't remember her name of the name of her thread or I would go back and look at it again.

I graduated high school in '84 so yellow gold has been all I have know until recent years. My current way of thinking is that diamonds look best in white metal....... and bracelets, necklaces, etc. without diamonds, look best in yellow gold or two tone.....not white by itself (then I think it is silver).

Who know how I will feel about it in a couple of years....ever changing taste!
10.gif

sasquatch

Rough_Rock
I only wear pure metal jewellery. As a guy, that means not much. I have 2 wedding bands - one in 24K gold and the other in 999.5 platinum. This is my 24K baby necklace which I received when I was born 40+ years ago.

babynecklace.JPG

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I graduated hs in 79. I started liking white when I saw my dh''s mother''s ring (plat). She grew up in the depression era and her ring was so dainty and beautiful. I have a slight red hue to my Irish/English tone and look best in platinum (the grey of it?) and or 18k yellow. 14 K yg does not look so good on me. My wedding set is platinum but my rhr and bracelet are two-tone white/yellow gold-(14k)-they are both "busy" so the color of the white gold isn''t really an issue. I''m glad two tone things are coming in to tie everything over. YG has that nice richness to it.

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
I don''t like the colour yellow. In anything. I really love the dark gold colour of high carat gold though. I''m lusting after a 24k bracelet I saw a while ago. I think the white metals look better against my skin as well.

I think mostly though, I''m just not a metal person. "Gold" holds no mystique for me, neither does platinum. As long as I like the colour and it''s durable I wouldn''t care if it was aluminum, rhodium, palladium or whatever other little-known metals are out there.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I''m another 80''s girl. It took me years to warm up to white gold. Now, I have alot of white but find myself going to yellow gold for gemstone rings. Most of my necklaces are in yellow gold. I love them both and wear what I feel like depending on the day. My original wedding set is in yellow gold.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2006 8:04:17 PM
Author: Rhapsody
I don''t like the colour yellow. In anything. I really love the dark gold colour of high carat gold though. I''m lusting after a 24k bracelet I saw a while ago. I think the white metals look better against my skin as well.

I think mostly though, I''m just not a metal person. ''Gold'' holds no mystique for me, neither does platinum. As long as I like the colour and it''s durable I wouldn''t care if it was aluminum, rhodium, palladium or whatever other little-known metals are out there.

Yeah, I look like hell in all yellow as well. I have yellow undertones in my skin. Fair skinned, blue eyes, brown hair though. I''m also 35...

But I do love wonderful 18k yellow gold. The "Speak Gold" ads in Instyle magazine always make me drool. I would love some funky Me & Ro style stacker rings, maybe a couple of unique pendants on long chains, and a few yg bangles. I think it looks awesome with a tan, but only if the pieces are current style & have a very artsy yet modern twist on them.

Jennifer Aniston wore this necklace in last month''s instyle. I must have one... Ok, I can''t get a pic, but here''s the website.

www.jennifermeyerjewelry.com

I have white gold jewelry becuz I couldn''t afford platinum with such a heavy setting for my ering, and i have to say my wg diamond earrings make my ears peel & puss up unless I have plastic sheaths on them. I''m going to put them in plat one of these days.

I do like the gold & ruby OM necklace from satyajewelry.com, and, being a yoga teacher...it sings to me.. :)
Jeannine

togal

Shiny_Rock
I also graduated high school in the early 80's. I wore a lot of silver jewellery in my younger days...and I think the white gold reminds me too much of the silver I used to wear. I really love so many of the white gold rings posted by members of this forum. For me, though, I have amassed such a large collection of YG jewellery, it's too late to change everything. I also think YG looks much better on my skin tone....especially in the summer with a bit of a tan.

I was in Tiffany the other day and noticed that approx. half of their engagement rings were shown in YG, plus much of their other jewellery. I think either goes....and neither will ever go out of style completely....one will just dominate over the other and switch back and forth. I'm also not keen on the rhodium plating aspect of the white gold....too much maintenance to keep it looking good.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/4/2006 5:56:01 AM
Author:ladykemma

To try to be fashionable, i recently tiptoed/ventured into white gold arena. i bought a filigree pink topaz antique looking set last year. this year i bought the sirena white gold dangly earrings and pendant.

What I am discovering is I don''t like rhodium. when I look at rhodium, all I think of is the periodic table and ''This isn''t gold'' or ''This isn''t platinum''.... i don''t enjoy wearing it because I think it is a sham -- trying to be platinum.

rhodium next to my irish skin looks like a surgical instrument. reflects this ugly metallic color.

I will try unplated platinum next. If I can afford to play.

could you post a pic of the pink topaz filigree ring??? I have been looking for something just like it!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i LOVE that baby necklace!

movie zombie

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I''m another gold lover! It just goes better with my skin tone.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve always much preferred yellow gold, as has my darling mother, she''s been a terrible jewellery influence on me, bless her little cotton socks
9.gif
I was born in ''82, so I don''t know that I was paying a great deal of attention to the jewellery of the times at that stage... weeeelll who knows, maybe I was!
41.gif
I''ve never liked silver metals against my skin anyway, but I really adore the contrast that yellow gold claw set diamond rings with white baskets/prongs has, it''s just gawwwwgeous. Half a dozen of the girls I work with wear exclusively rose gold, and one girl has an Ering very similar to mine (3-stone RB) with white baskets and prongs and an 18kt rose gold band. She sometimes (VERY tastefully) mixes in some silver with her rose gold, which is divine. Another girl has a 1ct emerald cut solitaire in a delicate white gold basket setting with an 18kt rose gold band, and a thin diamond RB channel set white gold band on either side (looks AMAZING because her diamond is super white), and she usually wears big rose gold studs and a designer rectangular silver watch. Minimalistic but OH SO effective!!!

I really pay too much attention to other people''s jewels! It''s so comforting I have such understanding fellow addicts to talk to
31.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2006 6:45:45 PM
Author: movie zombie
i LOVE that baby necklace!

I did, too, MZ. I wasn''t going to post about it, but since you did I will chime in. When I first saw it, I thought it was gorgeous!

34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results