carat
color
clarity

any vitamins that actually help with

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hair growth?

I shaved my head about 3 months ago..... let me just say, i looked amazing.

but now i want to grow it out to a blunt bob, and shoot its a todo. My hair already grows very fast, but its at that point that regardless of how many cm it grows it looks exactly the same. Anybody who has had a pixie understands.

I tend not to trust "miracle cures", and i knew what i was getting into, but if a lot of vitamin e or something would help, or argon oil, or something...im in a wedding in 8 months and i need hair for it lol I would say sense i shave it its already grown 2-3 inches, so its growing hast as is....but any help?

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I've used "hair skin nails" vitamins before, just regular ones that are OTC at the pharmacy. I like them and feel my hair is thicker and stronger. Faster? A little bit. On average my hair seems to grow 1/2-3/4 of an inch per month.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prenatals.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Viviscal. If you are interested you need to try it for a few months to determine if it will work for you or not. It does not work for 100% of the people but according to my dermatologist it works for the majority of his patients who use it including me.

I no longer use it because I stopped all unnecessary supplements when I got sick in 2014 (unrelated issue) and never started them again but while I was taking it I noticed a definite improvement. More than I had ever experienced with Biotin alone or any other hair,nail,skin vitamin and I tried many of them.

Biotin in higher doses may also help but in my experience not nearly as much as Viviscal. A warning about Biotin is it can cause skin issues so if you start that just be cognizant of that possibility. Some people experience acne effects from high doses of Biotin.

Here's a link to Viviscal. You can read more about it here including reviews.

http://www.drugstore.com/viviscal-hair-growth-program-extra-strength-tablets/qxp186960

Niel, check with your doctor first if you are breast-feeding your little one OK?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Years and years ago I had a book about natural beauty tricks (face masks, hair tips, etc.) and it mentioned that coconut oil was not only really good for your hair (in terms of conditioning/moisturizing it), but that it also stimulated hair growth. I realize that coconut has become quite popular in recent years and sure enough, if you Google it, you'll find all sorts of claims about how it can help with hair growth. There is a woman on Youtube with the most gorgeous head of very long (and very healthy) blonde hair and she uses coconut oil regularly. She applies it before bed (and puts her hair in a bun) and then goes through the whole routine about how to get it out of your hair the next day (because apparently, it can be tricky to remove). My hair has been terrible lately (feeling dry, more breakage than normal, etc.), so I've decided that I'm going to try the coconut oil routine for a while and see if it helps. I've also been taking Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins and while I'm not sure I notice a difference in my hair, my nails seem a little stronger.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful with applying coconut oil to your scalp. It can cause an explosion of Seb Derm (dandruff) and it can be very challenging to get rid of once you have. And ironically if you google it coconut oil is touted as a treatment for Seb Derm but in many cases it exacerbates and even causes it so just wanted to post this as an fyi warning for anyone considering it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Yes, as with anything, certain products (even natural ones) can be irritants to some people. I've used oils before (like coconut & olive oil) on my hair and skin and have not had any adverse effects. I don't know how common it would be (to have an adverse reaction to coconut oil), but obviously different people are affected in different ways by different things.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1447415976|3949174 said:
Viviscal. If you are interested you need to try it for a few months to determine if it will work for you or not. It does not work for 100% of the people but according to my dermatologist it works for the majority of his patients who use it including me.

I no longer use it because I stopped all unnecessary supplements when I got sick in 2014 (unrelated issue) and never started them again but while I was taking it I noticed a definite improvement. More than I had ever experienced with Biotin alone or any other hair,nail,skin vitamin and I tried many of them.

Biotin in higher doses may also help but in my experience not nearly as much as Viviscal. A warning about Biotin is it can cause skin issues so if you start that just be cognizant of that possibility. Some people experience acne effects from high doses of Biotin.

Here's a link to Viviscal. You can read more about it here including reviews.

http://www.drugstore.com/viviscal-hair-growth-program-extra-strength-tablets/qxp186960

Niel, check with your doctor first if you are breast-feeding your little one OK?

Awesome Missy thank you I'll check into this
And thanks for thinking of W, he's off breastfeeding so shouldn't be a problem there

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. I'll look into all the suggestions.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard great things about Viviscal including from my dermatologist, Missy and the woman at my health food store who has the most GORGEOUS hair and skin.

I asked her what she uses and I am on that now: Silica (its a liquid, 1 Tablespoon in a glass of water once daily) for keeping your hair, nails and bones healthy and flexible (as opposed to brittle and easily broken) and 5000 mg Biotin once daily.

LOL, my DH is also doing the Silica and Biotin. I started it after a bad haircut in August.

One thing: The silica, do NOT refrigerate it, it will solidify and desiccate.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take Biotin, a regular vitamin, fish oil and CoQ10. I really notice the difference if I don't take all of them in both my skin and hair.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Folic Acid and Prenatal Vitamins.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to come back to say that I purchased some coconut oil yesterday and used it today. I only left it in for about an hour and then showered (shampooing twice/conditioning twice to remove all of the coconut oil). Obviously, there is no way to know (yet) if it might help with hair growth, but it was a wonderful conditioning treatment. It left my hair shiny & soft. I'm going to continue using it regularly and see how it goes.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Momhappy, I have the coconut oil in my hair, too! I watched the video you refered to and it is so informative. Since I am not leaving the house today, I plan on keeping it in my hair all day instead of overnight. Plus I figure it's less mess than sleeping with it in my hair. I hope my hair turns out as nice as yours did. :D I also plan on getting some prenatal pills. I remember how well my hair and nails grew while I was pregnant.

auburnmom

Rough_Rock
Has anyone tried BioSil? It has great reviews on Amazon.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Just a quick update. I washed out the coconut oil out and the difference is amazing. It is softer and thicker and the spit ends are improved. I can imagine how my hair will be with steady use of the coconut oil.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered some Viviscal, it'll be here tomorrow. I'm excited to start trying it, my hair is just driving me nuts these days!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1447882892|3951454 said:
I ordered some Viviscal, it'll be here tomorrow. I'm excited to start trying it, my hair is just driving me nuts these days!

Good luck star sparkle. I hope it helps you! Just give it 2 months to start seeing results OK? Fingers crossed for you.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks missy! I've read all about how it takes quite a while to start seeing a change, so I think I'm mentally prepared for that. Remind me again though when I'm frustrated about in a month or so!! :lol:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, please keep us posted on the Viviscal - I'd like to know if it works for you:)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1447886758|3951493 said:
Thanks missy! I've read all about how it takes quite a while to start seeing a change, so I think I'm mentally prepared for that. Remind me again though when I'm frustrated about in a month or so!! :lol:
Yes let me know! I want to know if I should drop the $$$

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1447898090|3951549 said:

My dermatologist told me it does not help everyone and when he recommended it to me he said try it for a few months and if I didn't notice difference to stop taking it. However I did notice a good improvement so I continued. Just wanted to let you know that even if it helps Star it does not mean it will help your hair. And vice versa that is, if it doesn't help Star it might still help you. In any case I sure hope it helps you both!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
auburnmom|1447655420|3950189 said:
Has anyone tried BioSil? It has great reviews on Amazon.

I have and it didn't do anything to help my situation. Sorry.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a good thread. I never thought to start one here on this subject. Niel it will probably help more people than you can imagine.

I lost 70% of my hair to illness four years ago and despite the fact that I no longer have a colon and I almost died twice during treatment, losing my hair was shocking and devastating to me, in a different way. My type of hair loss (after seeing two dermatologists) was something called Telogen Effluvium. My hair was supposed to grow back as I recovered. But it didn't. Not all of it. I have about 20% regrowth, so half the hair I used to have and all of it is baby fine and more like filament than hair.

Two of my doctors put me on 100 mgs. of Biotin every day indefinitely. Yes, that's 20 - 5mg. little capsules. A lot to swallow every day especially with the rest of the arsenal that I take. Then I also take 10,000 IU of mixed food carotenes twice a day. I also take Saw Palmetto and lastly, I just added Black Currant Seed Oil. I take that orally twice daily and I mix 6 drops of the oil concentrate into my shampoo and leave it there to penetrate the scalp for five minutes before I rinse it off.

I just started using baby shampoo because it's very mild and yet does a good job of cleaning hair and scalp, and I'm going to add Pre-Natals to my regime. Does anyone have a specific brand or strength of Pre-Natal vitamins?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1447931662|3951657 said:
Niel|1447898090|3951549 said:

My dermatologist told me it does not help everyone and when he recommended it to me he said try it for a few months and if I didn't notice difference to stop taking it. However I did notice a good improvement so I continued. Just wanted to let you know that even if it helps Star it does not mean it will help your hair. And vice versa that is, if it doesn't help Star it might still help you. In any case I sure hope it helps you both!

I do remember you saying that, and I know you're right, but still I like to hear other peoples experience. I'm sure tempted to try it

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemgirl|1447934454|3951665 said:
This is a good thread. I never thought to start one here on this subject. Niel it will probably help more people than you can imagine.

I lost 70% of my hair to illness four years ago and despite the fact that I no longer have a colon and I almost died twice during treatment, losing my hair was shocking and devastating to me, in a different way. My type of hair loss (after seeing two dermatologists) was something called Telogen Effluvium. My hair was supposed to grow back as I recovered. But it didn't. Not all of it. I have about 20% regrowth, so half the hair I used to have and all of it is baby fine and more like filament than hair.

Two of my doctors put me on 100 mgs. of Biotin every day indefinitely. Yes, that's 20 - 5mg. little capsules. A lot to swallow every day especially with the rest of the arsenal that I take. Then I also take 10,000 IU of mixed food carotenes twice a day. I also take Saw Palmetto and lastly, I just added Black Currant Seed Oil. I take that orally twice daily and I mix 6 drops of the oil concentrate into my shampoo and leave it there to penetrate the scalp for five minutes before I rinse it off.

I just started using baby shampoo because it's very mild and yet does a good job of cleaning hair and scalp, and I'm going to add Pre-Natals to my regime. Does anyone have a specific brand or strength of Pre-Natal vitamins?

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you've been having. Hopefully one of these suggestions work for you!

I just had them prescribed by my doctor so the prenatals were free. I do t know if your doc could do that or no sense you're not actually pregnant

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, I have a bottle left of Viviscal that I think is unopened. Just not sure of the expiration date. I'm not home but tonight I will check if it is unopened and not expired and if so I would be happy to mail it to you if you want to try it. I know it can be pricey so this way you can try it risk free.

Gemgirl, I am sorry for your ordeal and hope your new regimen helps. And that you are feeling well!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl|1447934454|3951665 said:

Sorry to hear about your illness and your hair loss, gemgirl. I hope that your vitamin & supplement regimen works for you:)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1447939096|3951683 said:
Niel, I have a bottle left of Viviscal that I think is unopened. Just not sure of the expiration date. I'm not home but tonight I will check if it is unopened and not expired and if so I would be happy to mail it to you if you want to try it. I know it can be pricey so this way you can try it risk free.

Gemgirl, I am sorry for your ordeal and hope your new regimen helps. And that you are feeling well!

OK my dh is still at home and he managed to find the Viviscal tabs. They are in blister packs and unopened. And there are 60 tabs. Expiration in 2016.

Niel, f you want me to mail them to you just drop me a note on loupe troop. I just put a listing up yesterday that says For Kelinas. I would be more than happy to send it to you as soon as I can get to the post office.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1447941245|3951689 said:
missy|1447939096|3951683 said:

OK my dh is still at home and he managed to find the Viviscal tabs. They are in blister packs and unopened. And there are 60 tabs. Expiration in 2016.

Niel, f you want me to mail them to you just drop me a note on loupe troop. I just put a listing up yesterday that says For Kelinas. I would be more than happy to send it to you as soon as I can get to the post office.

Gosh thanks so much missy. That would be amazing. Loupetroop doesn't work right on my phone, but I'll email you from it shortly

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results