shape
carat
color
clarity

Any thoughts on this emerald cut?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ibrakeforpossums! That is really helpful. Well, it's money already spent, you are just helping spend it as wisely as possible :lol:

I also noticed that the first (1.29) was a bit lacking in life and flat, which I guess may be because it is shallower? Though the spread is nice, I want a lively stone, so will take that off the table.

I have put a hold on the 1.32 while I decide. I have confirmed that the other diamond isn't set yet and won't be until I make up my mind, so that's all good.

I like the "chunky" appearance of the 1.32, and it is cleaner than my original choice as a VVS2. It is slightly narrower face up (7.51 x 5.21, rather than 7.53 x 5.34 - I guess 0.12 width difference will be barely noticeable...? ) It has a thick to very thick girdle which I guess means it loses out on some spread. The price of my original choice and this one are very similar.

Decisions, decisions!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You aren't harassing anyone! We want you to get a great stone even if it takes a few tries!

I like this one much better than the original! I think it costs less and has VVS2 clarity, right?! Much better choice, in my opinion!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
You aren't harassing anyone! We want you to get a great stone even if it takes a few tries!

I like this one much better than the original! I think it costs less and has VVS2 clarity, right?! Much better choice, in my opinion!

Thank you, you're so kind! Yes, it is VVS2 and about £60 less, so that's attractive. It does look very clean. Does the cut / light return look good? I don't really know what I'm looking for...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, you're so kind! Yes, it is VVS2 and about £60 less, so that's attractive. It does look very clean. Does the cut / light return look good? I don't really know what I'm looking for...

Yes, the cut looks good to me!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It has potential.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Shamelessly begging @Big Fat Facets
@diamondseeker2006 @Karl_K @tyty333 @OoohShiny @diamondsR4eVR @Matthews1127 for a quick opinion on the new option - sorry to harass you guys, it will be the last time I promise:

hi @MillieLou
=)2 not harassment at all. im sorry for the delay as im not checking in as often.
so this option looks very promising, even more so than the first one. (i did go back to reference it) this stone looks much cleaner to me. it is a slightly different feel as the facets are thinner than the 1st option. the light return looks nice and even. but more contrasty.

if it were for me, i do favour this over the 1st option, due to personal clarity preference not so much due to the light performance and facet patterning. i feel that the light return of both options are very good. one has thicker facets whereas this recent option is thinner. i feel some will prefer the thicker facets while others will favour the thinner.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i feel it is astute of you to have it set in a simple plain ring instead of having a loose stone sent to you. the chances of losing or misplacing a loose stone is far greater than one that is set for you to wear as you assess the stone in as many lighting environments as possible which for me, means taking it out and about whilst running (essential) errands. i promise errands will be so much more fun with the accompaniment of a sparkly emerald cut diamond on your hand:cool2:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
hi @MillieLou
=)2 not harassment at all. im sorry for the delay as im not checking in as often.
so this option looks very promising, even more so than the first one. (i did go back to reference it) this stone looks much cleaner to me. it is a slightly different feel as the facets are thinner than the 1st option. the light return looks nice and even. but more contrasty.

if it were for me, i do favour this over the 1st option, due to personal clarity preference not so much due to the light performance and facet patterning. i feel that the light return of both options are very good. one has thicker facets whereas this recent option is thinner. i feel some will prefer the thicker facets while others will favour the thinner.

Thanks so much Big Fat Facets! That is really helpful. Yes, I think the clarity has swayed it for me - while the feather didn't hugely bother me, a cleaner stone for a slightly lower price is hard to argue with. I do really like the look of this stone, as much as I can tell from a video.

Thanks for the thoughts on the facet patterning. I can see what you mean now that you've pointed it out. I don't think I have a particular preference, as long as it is a lively stone in any "flavour" of cut.

I came across your beautiful EC in the other thread and my jaw actually dropped. Maybe in my next lifetime!

i feel it is astute of you to have it set in a simple plain ring instead of having a loose stone sent to you. the chances of losing or misplacing a loose stone is far greater than one that is set for you to wear as you assess the stone in as many lighting environments as possible which for me, means taking it out and about whilst running (essential) errands. i promise errands will be so much more fun with the accompaniment of a sparkly emerald cut diamond on your hand:cool2:

Yep definitely. I have a little loose ruby at the moment that I'm trying to "test drive" in different lights using Blu-tac (do you have that in the US?) stuck on top of my wedding ring. Not the ideal approach for a £3-4K diamond. I cannot wait to have a sparkly EC on my hand, I have longed for it for many years :dance:

Right, off to confirm the switch with Blue Nile. I swear those lovely customer service people have the patience of a saint with me.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much Big Fat Facets! That is really helpful. Yes, I think the clarity has swayed it for me - while the feather didn't hugely bother me, a cleaner stone for a slightly lower price is hard to argue with. I do really like the look of this stone, as much as I can tell from a video.

Thanks for the thoughts on the facet patterning. I can see what you mean now that you've pointed it out. I don't think I have a particular preference, as long as it is a lively stone in any "flavour" of cut.

I came across your beautiful EC in the other thread and my jaw actually dropped. Maybe in my next lifetime!

Yep definitely. I have a little loose ruby at the moment that I'm trying to "test drive" in different lights using Blu-tac (do you have that in the US?) stuck on top of my wedding ring. Not the ideal approach for a £3-4K diamond. I cannot wait to have a sparkly EC on my hand, I have longed for it for many years :dance:

Right, off to confirm the switch with Blue Nile. I swear those lovely customer service people have the patience of a saint with me.

thank you! that's very nice of you to say =)2

the first one is very lovely. it really is. i do love the big thick facets but the feather. from the rotating clip, i couldn't tell if there were multiple feathers or if it was one feather reflecting within the facets. so naturally, i pulled up the gia lab report and it is just the one feather. besides that one feather, its a very clean stone ... i can't really say that the recent option is hugely superior to the first option. it is however one clarity grade higher which is important to note. the length to width ratios and are very similar. even the table is the same.

im thrilled for you!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
thank you! that's very nice of you to say =)2

the first one is very lovely. it really is. i do love the big thick facets but the feather. from the rotating clip, i couldn't tell if there were multiple feathers or if it was one feather reflecting within the facets. so naturally, i pulled up the gia lab report and it is just the one feather. besides that one feather, its a very clean stone ... i can't really say that the recent option is hugely superior to the first option. it is however one clarity grade higher which is important to note. the length to width ratios and are very similar. even the table is the same.

im thrilled for you!

Thank you! :appl:Yes, the two stones do seem very similar. I guess the bump up of clarity grades from VS2 to VVS2 for a comparable price is the thing that swayed it, assuming the cut of both is good albeit in different flavours. I think the feather is reflected in the stone as it does appear in the centre on the video though there is nothing there on the plot.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Grr, there has been a delay to the diamond that I planned to get. Not a massive issue really, but it has meant I have looked at the options again, and am having a last minute wobble between these two, both mentioned upthread:

1. The one I have on order: https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD14928572?offerId=19797 (LD14928572 if it won't load)

2. The slightly cheaper one with bigger spread but shallower: https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD14549909?offerId=19797 (LD14549909) Ibrakeforpossums you thought it might stay dark in the centre for too long? But the chunkier facets look quite nice and I wonder if it looks slightly brighter?

Same colour (K) and clarity (VVS2), virtually same weight, price of both is OK. I really don't know what I'm looking for with cut and that's what I need help with.

WWYD? Last minute thoughts very gratefully received!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grr, there has been a delay to the diamond that I planned to get. Not a massive issue really, but it has meant I have looked at the options again, and am having a last minute wobble between these two, both mentioned upthread:

1. The one I have on order: https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD14928572?offerId=19797 (LD14928572 if it won't load)

2. The slightly cheaper one with bigger spread but shallower: https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD14549909?offerId=19797 (LD14549909) Ibrakeforpossums you thought it might stay dark in the centre for too long? But the chunkier facets look quite nice and I wonder if it looks slightly brighter?

Same colour (K) and clarity (VVS2), virtually same weight, price of both is OK. I really don't know what I'm looking for with cut and that's what I need help with.

WWYD? Last minute thoughts very gratefully received!

Hi @MillieLou! Happy 10 year anniversary! I got your message in the other thread and I want to help you but I know nothing about emerald cuts so do not want to steer you wrong. If the others here who are emerald cut savvy recommended the first one in your above post I would go with that. But see what the emerald experts here say between these two choices. I'm sorry I wish I could help!

I'll call a few people who might be helpful.

@diamondseeker2006
@Karl_K
@Matthews1127
@OoohShiny

Good luck @MillieLou and happy anniversary!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @MillieLou! Happy 10 year anniversary! I got your message in the other thread and I want to help you but I know nothing about emerald cuts so do not want to steer you wrong. If the others here who are emerald cut savvy recommended the first one in your above post I would go with that. But see what the emerald experts here say between these two choices. I'm sorry I wish I could help!

I'll call a few people who might be helpful.

@diamondseeker2006
@Karl_K
@Matthews1127
@OoohShiny

Good luck @MillieLou and happy anniversary!

Ah thank you so much Missy, that's really kind of you :) I think I will be fine with K colour - I have had a K before albeit not an EC - I am not colour sensitive and do like warmer colours. Even without Covid the chances of seeing a range of ECs in person in the UK would be slim so I will be taking a bit of a chance.

Any and all opinions are welcome as you can't possibly know less about ECs than I do! ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah thank you so much Missy, that's really kind of you :) I think I will be fine with K colour - I have had a K before albeit not an EC - I am not colour sensitive and do like warmer colours. Even without Covid the chances of seeing a range of ECs in person in the UK would be slim so I will be taking a bit of a chance.

Any and all opinions are welcome as you can't possibly know less about ECs than I do! ;-)

I have to add I adore emerald cuts. And if I could have an additional ER it would be an antique emerald cut. They are so elegant and sophisticated. I am excited for you and cannot wait to see you enjoying your beautiful new ring. :love:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting project!! Love me a good emerald cut :kiss2:

Where in the UK are you? As I want to see this ring in person when it's done & the madness ends!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Exciting project!! Love me a good emerald cut :kiss2:

Where in the UK are you? As I want to see this ring in person when it's done & the madness ends!

I am in South Manchester! Well, neighbours with aspirations claim we are in Cheshire, but the regional restrictions last year made everyone realise that we are in fact in good old Greater Manchester :lol:

Here's a visual of the two:

The thing that is making me wobble is that I previously misread the dimensions on the 1.29ct and it does actually face up slightly (4%) bigger than the 1.32ct. I'm wondering if I dismissed it too quickly... It's also got medium blue fluor which I am partial to.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in South Manchester! Well, neighbours with aspirations claim we are in Cheshire, but the regional restrictions last year made everyone realise that we are in fact in good old Greater Manchester :lol:

Here's a visual of the two:

The thing that is making me wobble is that I previously misread the dimensions on the 1.29ct and it does actually face up slightly (4%) bigger than the 1.32ct. I'm wondering if I dismissed it too quickly... It's also got medium blue fluor which I am partial to.

No way!! I am actually IN Cheshire! Born & raised in Lymm - do you know it?

As for the diamonds, we are all different, so go with what makes your heart sing.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Of course! A friend of mine lives in Lymm! It is lovely. Small world :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course! A friend of mine lives in Lymm! It is lovely. Small world :)

Small indeed! I actually live about 15 minutes south of there now in an extremely rural area, but family are all still around here.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1.32 is better cut

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
1.32 is better cut

Thank you very much Karl. I am really glad you posted, I have been reading a lot of your old posts on ECs. Is it to do with the depth / crown depth or just the overall patterning?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you very much Karl. I am really glad you posted, I have been reading a lot of your old posts on ECs. Is it to do with the depth / crown depth or just the overall patterning?

ec cuts are all about patterns and how those pasterns flash.
1.32 shows the more promising patterns and flashes.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
ec cuts are all about patterns and how those pasterns flash.
1.32 shows the more promising patterns and flashes.

Thanks Karl. Would you say the 1.29 is badly cut?

I am just weighing up the apparent larger face up size and less tint (I feel) of the 1.29 with the cut difference.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
OK, so the decision has been made for me by my DH and son who had a look at the spinning diamonds side by side and surprisingly both had the same very clear preference! So I can stop bothering you all now. It should arrive by the middle of next week and I will of course post photos.

Thank you again for everyone's kind help :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Which one?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results