shape
carat
color
clarity

Any thoughts on this emerald cut?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I'd be really grateful for thoughts on this emerald cut diamond. I've always wanted one, and have been very fortunate to come into a little money unexpectedly, so am thinking of indulging myself! It would be worn as an e-ring in a simple narrow platinum solitaire.

It's diamond number LD14861526 if it doesn't link.

I have had a K diamond before and am happy with the colour (I know it is likely to show more with an emerald cut).

I see the feather at the edge and the reflection. Blue Nile are checking whether it is eye clean for me. I actually don't mind if it's not 100% eye clean. I am mainly interested in it being a sparkly / lively stone. It is at the top end of my budget and I want a good size stone, plus I am limited to Blue Nile being in the UK and absolutely not wanting to deal with shipping from outside the British Isles.

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

PS I've reserved it, which is why it's showing as unavailable!

Last edited:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Update - just had the following message back from Blue Nile:

Thank you for contacting Blue Nile. It was truly a pleasure assisting you today. I have excellent news! Our vault manager confirmed it is an amazing VS2 and incredibly clean to the eye! They also noted there is no excess risk of damage at all due to the feather.

What do you all think? :wavey:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
it looks good to me. i did not detect any "dud" or quiet facets. especially, underneath the table in the center. as long as you are alright with the clarity and color.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
it looks good to me. i did not detect any "dud" or quiet facets. especially, underneath the table in the center. as long as you are alright with the clarity and color.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I have no experience at all with emerald cuts so this is exactly what I need!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I've been watching it spinning around on screen for much longer than is healthy, and think I am going to go for it, unless anyone wants to talk me out of it :cheeky:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
when you receive it, please be sure to view it in numerous, different lighting environments. do pay close attention to the center of the stone below the table to be sure those facets are lighting up and there aren't any quiet dormant facets that do not light up for you. i am happy to look at it for you if you post video clips here.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
when you receive it, please be sure to view it in numerous, different lighting environments. do pay close attention to the center of the stone below the table to be sure those facets are lighting up and there aren't any quiet dormant facets that do not light up for you. i am happy to look at it for you if you post video clips here.

Thanks, that's really kind of you. I have ordered it, it should be here on New Year's Eve. Can't wait!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the kind input everyone :) Last shout out to any other EC enthusiasts who want to weigh in before the stone is set and the decision is final! (I'm told this will be tomorrow).

@Karl_K @Matthews1127 @diamondseeker2006

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
@Big Fat Facets & @tyty333
answered and both are wealth knowledge. I’m learning about ECs in another thread and @Big Fat Facets gave very interesting POV on ECs. Perhaps the others will answer too, but Sunday’s can be quiet around here. GL! I love ECs and from my untrained eye yours looks good. I can’t wait to see it.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
@Big Fat Facets & @tyty333
answered and both are wealth knowledge. I’m learning about ECs in another thread and @Big Fat Facets gave very interesting POV on ECs. Perhaps the others will answer too, but Sunday’s can be quiet around here. GL! I love ECs and from my untrained eye yours looks good. I can’t wait to see it.

Oh I am hugely appreciative of their expert input and not for a second doubting this! I hope it didn't come across that way. I just saw RunningWith Scissors' "Where to find the best emerald cuts" thread bumped up and noticed there were a few other EC enthusiast names mentioned too. I have never spent this much money on, well anything apart from a house and car before, so just wanted a last-minute canvass of opinions before it's too late :)

Thank you for your view on how it looks, that's very reassuring. I am glad you love ECs too - they are so rare around here I would not have the chance to try on a selection, even in non-Covid times, so am really grateful for all opinions here.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I know you’re appreciative! I hope I didn’t come off snarky bc that’s not my intention at all. In fact I’m super excited for you! I got engaged last Dec. and wanted an EC badly but soon realized the size, color and clarity I wanted was out of budget.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no not at all, I didn't think that, I just worried that my post had come across wrong. I do tie myself up in knots fretting when I'm writing online sometimes :lol:

If the ring is the one in your avatar, it is absolutely stunning. The one I'm buying is for my ten year anniversary (somewhat belated - bit of a saga with the jeweller becoming unwell and unable to make the ring I had planned - but may end up being for the best). I couldn't have afforded this EC when we got engaged. Even now my budget is nowhere near PS standards. Luckily I actively prefer lower coloured diamonds so that makes things more affordable. I just want a nice looking stone that has a bit of life to it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the cut looks nice. Not to put a damper on things, but that large feather (crack) would bother me. So since I said that, I am going to look on the BN UK site and see if I see any I like better in that price range. I'll be back!

Okay, this one faces up just a little smaller, but it has a higher crown and smaller table which is a prettier look to me. A color and clarity grade higher, so no issues with clarity at all. There just wasn't another K with photos in that range.

There are three more K's that they expect to get in around 1.3 cts with higher clarity at a lower price. If you don't like the J, then I'd ask them when these other stones will have photos. I'd honestly wait and see these other options if you don't like the J.

Last edited:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much @diamondseeker2006 - I really appreciate it. I love the look of the one you pulled out but it is going to be over budget. I can check about the other Ks - I didn't realise the ones without videos meant they would be coming in - I assumed they would be staying in the hands of someone else and drop shipped? That's good to know.

Is your concern about the feather about appearance or integrity of the stone? If the former, I could have it sent to me loose to check, and only proceed if happy with the way it looks. If the latter, I'd be more worried as I do not want a stone that breaks!! Is a VS2 feather likely to cause this?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, I have been watching this thread.
The stone based on the limited information available looks good. The crown could be a little higher but other than that it appears ok.
Keep in mind there is limited information but they have a good return policy.
Im not worried about the feather if its eye clean.

Someone close to em had a princess cut diamond with a huge feather clearly not eyeclean, It was dropped in a sink and the diamond shattered, The 1/2 with the feather was in perfect condition.
So other than feathers near a princess cut corner or one that is parellel to the outside of the stone I'm not super worried about them.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Karl, that's extremely helpful :)

I don't actually mind inclusions as long as they don't affect the safety of the stone (which you have reassured me on, thank you) or have a huge visual impact, which I guess I will need to see in person to judge for myself rather than going by their assessment.

I have bought from Blue Nile before and they are excellent with returns over here (though you do have to pay which works out to around £60 a time with insurance). It seems having it sent to me loose to inspect, then sent back to be set may be the safest way to go?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It seems having it sent to me loose to inspect, then sent back to be set may be the safest way to go?
If your comfortable playing with a loose stone its not a bad idea.
The down side is at least in the US a loose stone is not covered by insurance.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
If your comfortable playing with a loose stone its not a bad idea.
The down side is at least in the US a loose stone is not covered by insurance.

Ah. That is probably going to be a problem here too. Will look into it. Thanks!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I'm no expert but I bought a 1.07 K EC last winter and mine shows more tint than yours. That feather wouldn't bother me, either. If I were shopping for another, I'd have the diamond you selected in my journal of nice ones. It seems to flash with every turn, a constant show. I looked three times, it looks lovely to me.
Let us know how things turn out.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no expert but I bought a 1.07 K EC last winter and mine shows more tint than yours. That feather wouldn't bother me, either. If I were shopping for another, I'd have the diamond you selected in my journal of nice ones. It seems to flash with every turn, a constant show. I looked three times, it looks lovely to me.
Let us know how things turn out.

Thank you! That's very helpful. I would love to see your EC, do you have a link to it?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
2020-09-29 18.02.40.jpg Crap photos, sorry. Bottom left, yellow EC and pink spinel above. I can check and see if B2C still has it on their website.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Still here in a box marked "Alex." B2C's very contrasty photo. https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/12761187/Emerald-diamond-K-color-VVS1-clarity

I'm not good at returning things. I get something and think that's not very nice but probably all I deserve. After three months I look and suddenly go, holy crap, I love that! But I like quirks. This EC is a K and has more tint than my L Asscher. GIA says faint fluor but it glows blue in strong sunlight, far more blue than the medium fluor Asscher.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! What gorgeous patterning. I am a sucker for warmer diamonds. I would go for JKL even if they were more expensive than DEF.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Has yours arrived? Great anticipation here.
The goldsmith who set my Asscher hated the L color, but he also told me he hated Ds because they "look dead." I think he likes Gs and that's it. And I know it's anathema on this forum, but Ds strike me the same way. I have a few F/Gs and that's plenty of white for me. I'm looking at a small M Asscher. That I don't need.
Somebody stop me.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Has yours arrived? Great anticipation here.
The goldsmith who set my Asscher hated the L color, but he also told me he hated Ds because they "look dead." I think he likes Gs and that's it. And I know it's anathema on this forum, but Ds strike me the same way. I have a few F/Gs and that's plenty of white for me. I'm looking at a small M Asscher. That I don't need.
Somebody stop me.

I love an icy white D/E on others but it just doesn't look right with my skin tone. I can't wear white either, I need warm tones!

After looking into the insurance issue, and the costs of having to send it back to be reset etc, I have decided to just go for it and get it set and sent to me. It is due here the first week of January, can't wait!

Thank you again to everyone for your input, it's been so helpful to get all your views. What a lovely generous community this is.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
To me, the 1.29 stays dark in the center for too long. I'd be afraid it would look like a dead spot. But the 2nd one, the 1.32 is gorgeous in my book. Really.
See how we spend your money?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results