shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Opal lovers out there? Show and Tell please.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it has all the colours, even red, which is pretty rare! The white opal you posted doesn't even look like it has colour play on top half of the stone!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words on my new opal ring. I love wearing it with my Paraiba, as they both have that turquoise glow. Here’s a pic of it with my orange opal, which is sitting in an empty mount. I need to get a new setting for it, but I love orange and turquoise together. There’s a little greenish opal in a an empty mount in mounting wax on my middle finger. I wish the camera did them justice. The blue in the bottom opal floats above an orange base when you look at it from the side. The cameras really washed out the color. I think the best way to describe it is a puddle of spilled iridescent nail polish. I included one of my all time favorite opal rings in this thread as inspiration for my dream opal design and gem, by Cartier.

364E5BF8-9B10-443B-A373-BD11047F3575.png 7C510CA0-AB76-4E37-9B68-20FCDD9C8059.jpeg 00CFF2DB-0B05-4837-9ACE-BD175BCD0C05.jpeg B406287B-D499-4411-93C0-F74ADEC6951F.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the one I posted above sold! What do you all think of this one?

EBC78453-6889-4DF8-99D1-6C890820C4B5.jpeg
It’s very nice, but it’s so hard to judge opal without several pics or a video.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love that one too! where are you finding these lovely opals?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like black opals when they look like Missy's opal in her ring. Just flashes of brilliant-eye popping color and the blackness is not seen. I think there are fab crystal opals that scream color and the white does not show. It all depends on the stone. In other words top quality opals of either type are stunning.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FWIW Bonhams are having their annual Opal auction May 20th at their Sunset Blvd location in Los Angeles WWW The opals start at Lot 655.

The items will be on display for public viewing May 19 and 20. If you ever want to see magnificent black opals in person, this would be your chance.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words on my new opal ring. I love wearing it with my Paraiba, as they both have that turquoise glow. Here’s a pic of it with my orange opal, which is sitting in an empty mount. I need to get a new setting for it, but I love orange and turquoise together. There’s a little greenish opal in a an empty mount in mounting wax on my middle finger. I wish the camera did them justice. The blue in the bottom opal floats above an orange base when you look at it from the side. The cameras really washed out the color. I think the best way to describe it is a puddle of spilled iridescent nail polish. I included one of my all time favorite opal rings in this thread as inspiration for my dream opal design and gem, by Cartier.

364E5BF8-9B10-443B-A373-BD11047F3575.png 7C510CA0-AB76-4E37-9B68-20FCDD9C8059.jpeg 00CFF2DB-0B05-4837-9ACE-BD175BCD0C05.jpeg B406287B-D499-4411-93C0-F74ADEC6951F.jpeg

Gorgeous opals!

Reactions: T L

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 and other opal experts!I went down a rabbit hole last night and discovered belemnite opal, which is (apparently) ancient squid tenticles (or parts of them), that fossilsed into opals. I am obsessed, since octopuses are one of my favorite animals and opals are a newfound love of mine.

Do you think they are worth the increased cost (compared to other opals of similar color) because of the rarity/coolness, or do yoi think it's just silly?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
97D8A2B5-3663-4FEF-AEAD-15837589DAA9.jpeg
@Bron357 and other opal experts!I went down a rabbit hole last night and discovered belemnite opal, which is (apparently) ancient squid tenticles (or parts of them), that fossilsed into opals. I am obsessed, since octopuses are one of my favorite animals and opals are a newfound love of mine.

Do you think they are worth the increased cost (compared to other opals of similar color) because of the rarity/coolness, or do yoi think it's just silly?
Fossilized opals are rare and unique. They usually attract a huge premium over ordinary opals because they appeal to both fossil collectors and gemstone lovers.
The most magnificent specimen is the Virgin Rainbow, worth a cool $1 Million.
The stuff dreams are made of, I can’t even begin to imagine the awe and joy the man who unearthed this piece felt.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The opal has lots of lovely colours but it has a fair degree of “haze” over / through it, this is colourless potch material. A cutter has to get rid of as much of this potch material as possible to reveal the colourful opal. Sometimes the colourful opal vein is very thin. I think this opal is quite patchy and thin regarding opal content. If the price is cheap, that’s ok but it’s not a “premium” quality opal. It would also be best if the vendor has a return policy. You mightn’t like how it looks in ordinary lighting conditions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok @Bron357 , I need your wisdom again!

I've been considering buying a brown/champagne zircon (or diamond), but now this opal idea is pretty freaking tempting. I can buy this piece (actually 2 pieces) for around $1400 USD. From my intensive searching over the last day, this seems like a very fair price given the color. The store made a video and is holding it for me while I consider. It's 2 pieces of belemnite (broken where there's sand). I'd likely use it for 2 different pieces.

Video:

Pics:
s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Other options:
https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/65-ct-belemnite-massive-fire-682062

https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/415-ct-greens-belemnite-coober-pedy-712648

Thoughts? Or should I stick with my other champagne stone plan and stop obsessing over awesome ancient squid opals? :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've been considering buying a brown/champagne zircon (or diamond), but now this opal idea is pretty freaking tempting. I can buy this piece (actually 2 pieces) for around $1400 USD. From my intensive searching over the last day, this seems like a very fair price given the color. The store made a video and is holding it for me while I consider. It's 2 pieces of belemnite (broken where there's sand). I'd likely use it for 2 different pieces.

Video:

Pics:

Other options:

https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/415-ct-greens-belemnite-coober-pedy-712648

Thoughts? Or should I stick with my other champagne stone plan and stop obsessing over awesome ancient squid opals? :)
I’m biased, I’d pick opal, especially a fossil piece over a “dime a dozen” champagne diamonds or zircon any day.
Though I would only set that piece as a pendant. I would rim set it together onto a gold backing (best side up) with a band of gold to conceal the join which I would set then set coloured gemstones into. Depending on how much $$$ you want to spend I’d then set it onto a gold chain with small bezel set coloured gems to match those in the pendant, like a DBTY necklace. Then you have a statement necklace a really special and unique piece.
Sorry I’ve just spent a few grand for you but WOW.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m biased, I’d pick opal, especially a fossil piece over a “dime a dozen” champagne diamonds or zircon any day.
Though I would only set that piece as a pendant. I would rim set it together onto a gold backing (best side up) with a band of gold to conceal the join which I would set then set coloured gemstones into. Depending on how much $$$ you want to spend I’d then set it onto a gold chain with small bezel set coloured gems to match those in the pendant, like a DBTY necklace. Then you have a statement necklace a really special and unique piece.
Sorry I’ve just spent a few grand for you but WOW.
haha I have no idea how to picture what you said, but it sounds SO PRETTY!

So you think the first ebay one is the best choice out of the 3 belemnite I liked?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And another (smaller, cheaper) option in case @Bron357 and others aren't sick of belemnite videos :)

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Video:

Pics:

Other options:

These opals are so cool! I’ve seen one at Rock & Mineral shows still embedded in rock like this
8F672DA1-E50E-4512-BDD6-B328D6EEC641.jpeg
and never realized they were fossilized squid!
What type of piece would you make with the opal? I love the statement ring in this photo, probably not an everyday piece though.
7D5179DB-6115-4C98-9265-0FECF52EDF7C.jpeg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And another (smaller, cheaper) option in case @Bron357 and others aren't sick of belemnite videos :)

There’s not much colorpllay in that one. Where are the reds, oranges, violets?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Video:

Pics:

Other options:

I think it’s a little pricey considering the white base, and it’s broken. I’ve seen nicer large well opals for less, in that cokorplay, and base, and they’re normal shapes for easier setting.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs, I’m so intrigued by the belemnite opals too! I don’t have comments on the ones posted, in part because I think most opals are beautiful and so individual, and because of the fact that it is a fossilized squid! Can’t comment on pricing due to lack of experience.

I’m with you, I am completely taken with octopuses, squid, cuttle fish and the nautilus. IMHO, the belemnites hold infinitely more mystery to me than zircons, though I can imagine an elongated pendant with a belemnite and a zircon on top or on the bottom. I think a piece with a Belemnite would be such a fabulous endeavor because I imagine that such a piece would forever hold that tantalizing spot on the edges of imagination and consciousness.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
756EFE65-19F6-46B9-AA72-341D4046474F.jpeg EC0359E3-E606-474F-B3AA-E9078EC4943F.jpeg 894F97E0-3518-43B8-B214-DE190905B50B.jpeg 5357BDF6-F9E7-460D-B8F7-C4979D2EE68F.jpeg D8676EE0-CFC1-489C-81B7-F531CFF108F9.jpeg
I’ve been getting around to setting some welo opals I’ve had in my collection for a long time. This is a 13x9mm stone. Natural color and pinfire pattern.

NK2012

Rough_Rock
Alright one more stone:

D3BA9C95-7DC4-4172-A9DA-6B197A0AE27A.jpeg

It’s not my ideal color, but it’s priced pretty cheaply. I figured I could set this in a halo of amethyst/peridot, and have an opal ring until I have the funds to buy my ideal color opal in the future.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Alright one more stone:

D3BA9C95-7DC4-4172-A9DA-6B197A0AE27A.jpeg

It’s not my ideal color, but it’s priced pretty cheaply. I figured I could set this in a halo of amethyst/peridot, and have an opal ring until I have the funds to buy my ideal color opal in the future.
Do you know what your ideal color opal would have cost?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
95916B9A-733B-4FB0-87C7-FC91AB6A122E.jpeg B72D2D66-A1D0-455E-B6B8-5A4BCAF30FDC.jpeg
I have been long contemplating a deep, dark black opal with only blue color play in it for a while. I found this one on Etsy, which wasn’t too expensive, just to see how I like this variety in life, and to see if I’d want to spend more on one someday. It’s a solid, 22 carat black crystal opal, with blues that are quite mysterious and pop out in the right lighting. It has even distribution of blue parts, but they don’t show up at the same time. It’s set in silver.

So far I love it because of its enthralling mystery and vastness, and it’s size. I truly lose myself staring into it because it has a dark translucent glow. If I eventually get another, I’d like the blues to be a bit brighter, and the black blacker, but this has scratched the itch for now. Forgive the poor evening picture. The second one is a vendor picture.

NK2012

Rough_Rock
Do you know what your ideal color opal would have cost?

I’m not entirely sure, but probably in the 3-4k range. I want a darker colored opal that has good color play and is a decent size. I have a few stones to set currently, and we’re getting married this year, buying a bigger house next year, and plan to have kids shortly after, so I don’t foresee a purchase like that for a number of years. :twirl:

Last edited:

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
Since this is the place to be for opal lovers, I figure I’ll ask here... I bought a cheap faceted Peruvian Opal a few months ago because I just loved the color. Also, I haven’t seen many faceted ovals. Now I’m not sure how I want to set it. I don’t want to go too over the top as it was an inexpensive stone, but I’m okay with spending some money on it as it is pretty and I think I’d wear it often. Does anyone have a faceted opal that’s been set? Google image didn’t have many results.
A3AB3B0B-65FE-4B25-82A7-68D5974B4035.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flashy Flamingo, you can look at any faceted stone setting. I think the most important thing is to get a metal color that sets off that pretty turquoise color. I vote rose gold!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
95916B9A-733B-4FB0-87C7-FC91AB6A122E.jpeg B72D2D66-A1D0-455E-B6B8-5A4BCAF30FDC.jpeg
I have been long contemplating a deep, dark black opal with only blue color play in it for a while. I found this one on Etsy, which wasn’t too expensive, just to see how I like this variety in life, and to see if I’d want to spend more on one someday. It’s a solid, 22 carat black crystal opal, with blues that are quite mysterious and pop out in the right lighting. It has even distribution of blue parts, but they don’t show up at the same time. It’s set in silver.

So far I love it because of its enthralling mystery and vastness, and it’s size. I truly lose myself staring into it because it has a dark translucent glow. If I eventually get another, I’d like the blues to be a bit brighter, and the black blacker, but this has scratched the itch for now. Forgive the poor evening picture. The second one is a vendor picture.

So wow. That is one stone I would fall into...it is like a different world! I would stare down into its depths and become so absorbed that I would forget about what I was doing...an enveloping, powerful, meditative kind of stone.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So wow. That is one stone I would fall into...it is like a different world! I would stare down into its depths and become so absorbed that I would forget about what I was doing...an enveloping, powerful, meditative kind of stone.
Thank you! You have described it so well! That is exactly why I am so enchanted with these black and blue opals. This one really has the size to support getting enveloped into it. I find myself staring and getting drawn in a lot more than I do with other rings which I wear. Interestingly, as often as I peer into the stone, I never feel that I know it. What lies in the darkness only is partially revealed. It truly hides its mystery in that way.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These opals are so cool! I’ve seen one at Rock & Mineral shows still embedded in rock like this
8F672DA1-E50E-4512-BDD6-B328D6EEC641.jpeg
and never realized they were fossilized squid!

I absolutely love cutting gems out of the rock like this, sometimes the Opal surrounding can have colour bars hidden too and make it so much more exciting as you grind away the excess!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results