shape
carat
color
clarity

any online vendors insure against chip/breakage while setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
If I bought my stone from Bluenile (who will not set it for me, except for in their setting, which I don''t want), and I want to have the diamond insured while it is being set, which online vendor would do this (possibly I would then buy my setting from them). None of the jewelers in my town appear to do this and just say you take your own risk.

I know it is the best to have the diamond vendor set it, but that''s not an option for me.

So...

Does anyone know which online vendors would do this?? WF, DimendScassi, GOG, etc?

Or else comment on your own personal experiences on which online vendors seemed to be the most trustworthy for this task, cost, etc.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
froufrou,

If you haven't bought the diamond yet, why won't you just buy from a vendor who has settings you like?
1.gif

ETA: Sorry, I see on another post that you have already bought a stone.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
yup DS, i have already bought the diamond..it is a perfect .74 F color SI2 AGS 000, it arrived Monday and I can''t stop looking at it, its absolutely gorgeous.
36.gif
it was a very good price on BN and was exactly what I wanted, elsewhere that I looked i couldnt find anything the same... so now i have this setting problem, haha :)

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If you''re buying the setting from them, and it''s a decent purchase, I would think most the vendors here would take responsibility for setting the diamond, provided it is a "no problem" stone.

Just make half a dozen calls. You''ll find out quick.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I know that WF will for sure, even if the diamond is not from them.

squawks

Rough_Rock
Jazmine, that''s false.

WhiteFlash does not insure your diamond in the case they damage the diamond while setting the stone in one of their settings. I confirmed this with them multiple times. They will only insure against damage upon setting *only* if you purchased the diamond from them and have them set the diamond in one of their settings.

They will, however, heed quite a bit of attention in monitoring the stone (in a closed circuit surveillance system - impressive!) on top of multiple inspections (before and after setting the stone). If the diamond is not in perfect shape upon its arrival, they will inform you. If the diamond has been damaged by them, they will inform you and they also say they won''t be liable...although I guess in today''s mediocre legal system you can sue anybody for anything you want.

I honestly wouldn''t worry about the diamond being damaged unless it''s a trouble stone as others have mentioned. I''m sure WhiteFlash would notice this as well and warn you beforehand.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
froufrou, I agree with Rich. I would think if you are purchasing a setting many vendors will take responsibilty for the stone. Quest did for mine, when I bought a setting from them. Talk to the vendor whom you are purchasing your setting from, that''s the easist route. you''re going to have a tougher time finding someone to set a stone you didn''t purchase from them into a setting you didn''t purchase from them
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I specifically confirmed this with Bob when they set my diamond. He told me it was fully insured if it was chipped, etc.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call WF and ask them.
2.gif

squawks

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 3:40:41 PM
Author: jazmine
I specifically confirmed this with Bob when they set my diamond. He told me it was fully insured if it was chipped, etc.
When did you get your stone set? My stone is currently in the hands of WF as I type, but if what you say is true, then all the merrier.

Last week I didn''t speak to Bob but some other lady - Renee, I believe, and she told me specifically they will not be held accountable/liable for any damages.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I had it set in Nov of last year.

This is interesting. I would like to know the truth.

mandyd

Shiny_Rock
In a similar situation, I bought Chubb insurance to be covered against breakage during setting which was my main concern. They pay up to 150% replacement cost if required and I am told Chubb is the best in the business as you are even insured against "mysterious disappearances".

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a similar thread a year or so ago where many of the vendors chimed in about their concerns and the risk. At that time it seemed like most would not accept the risk - even if you purchased a setting (they typically don''t make that much on a setting - and why should they accept a huge liability... was the argument).

There were counterarguments as well. Mine was that as long as you inspected the stone for obvious flaws (I can understand rejecting liability on a stone like that) - that why should I (the customer) be liable for mishandling - or helpings someone''s learning curve - of a less than great setting job.

In the end - there were lots of good comments on both sides of the issue - but nothing at the time was resolved.

Judging from the above post - it now seems that there might be some vendors willing to accept the liability.

However, you need to specifically verify that with the vendor you wish to work with - and I would at least want an email from the vendor clarifying their policy.

Perry

squawks

Rough_Rock
Perry, where is that thread? I''m not sure how I''d look for it in the search as a search for "insurance/liability" would lead to quite a few pages.

In the basic model of business, it doesn''t matter how expensive the stone is - if you hand it to a business and they damage it, they should be held liable. Period.

It''s analogous to me taking in a $50,000 car into a Jiffy Lube for a $20 oil change and they end up damaging the engine components from poor handling- should they be held liable? Yes. Despite the high value of the car and the mediocre profits earned, they should definitely be held liable.

Or, me calling on a plumber to fix a clog in an mosaic ivory bathtub studded with ornamental diamonds. He damages it in the process from poor handling - should his business be held liable? Yes.

Now, here I mention poor handling as the fault of the businesses but it should also be their good judgement that decides whether they choose to service particular items or not. If my $50,000 car was damaged to begin with or at major risk of being damaged, Jiffy Lube could choose to not service my car. Same goes with the plumber. If, however, they agree to do the servicing and ends up damaging the product, they should indubitably be held liable. There''s simply no logic against this.

It is absolutely ludicrous for an online vendor to even attempt to deny any liability because "the diamond wasn''t purchased from our business and the setting gives us low profits". Then don''t set 3rd party diamonds to begin with if that''s the case.

Service should never have to be a gamble - it''s not like going into hospitals for surgery and being told the "chances of success and the chances of failure".

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 11:54:04 AM
Author: squawks
Perry, where is that thread? I''m not sure how I''d look for it in the search as a search for ''insurance/liability'' would lead to quite a few pages.

I think he might be talking about
this thread

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget: That''s the one.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to find it.

I''m not real great with the search engine.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results