shape
carat
color
clarity

Any knitters out there?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Mrs M, jenmarie, and noel! The baby shower went really well, my friend loved the sweater, bunny, and the diaper cake I made.
1.gif

Cello, of course there's space for a crocheter! Anything made with yarn and a stick has a place here.

I should have been studying lately, but instead I've been working on a lace hoodie. It went surprisingly fast for being fingering weight. I've got the entire body and hood done and weaved in, and I'm about 1/3 done with the first sleeve. I've tried on the sleeveless version and I like it so far, so I really can't wait to finish it! I should finish my last exam first though...

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
April20 - I love the colors of the 2nd dish cloth. what material is the yarn made of?

cellososweet - super cute bunny!

Octavia - what''s a diaper cake?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Noel, a diaper cake is a fun baby shower thing -- it looks like a cake but is made out of diapers and other baby supplies! I just posted a pic of it here.

Also, my latest project, my "I should have been studying" sweater. Sorry for the messy background, I cropped out as much as I could
3.gif

StudySweater1.JPG

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
And the back...

StudySweater2.JPG

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
the diaper cake is SO cute. for some strange reason I want one... good marketing!

that sweater... the only words that come to mind: FREAKIN'' AWESOME!
that is so beautiful and must have been such hard work. I am envious.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Noelwr- the dishclothes were Sugar 'n Cream cotton....

I just finished my first sweater- baby sweater that is. It took me a solid hour of googling and reading feedback on the pattern on Ravelry to make sure I really understood the pattern, but once I figured out that I was over-reading some of the instructions, I got it and the rest made sense. I'm sending it to a friend that has a little girl due in August.

I'm going to try one for me next. We'll see how long that takes. The baby sweater took me a week- not sure how many hours I have in it.

ETA: I still have to block it, weave in the ends and add the snap/decorative button to the top.

IMG_1563 - Copy.JPG

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve just recently been thinking of getting my knitting back out. I have a vest 1/2 finished.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
April - that is so cute! I think the way you sewed the sleeves on is really pretty. if I knit every night and a little more on the weekends, it takes me about 4-5 weeks to finish a sweater. ones with more difficult cable patterns could take 6-8 weeks.

marcyc - you should definitely finish your vest. otherwise you''ve wasted all your time on the 1st half!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I thought I'd pop back into this thread because I finished the sweater for me. I finished it a couple weeks ago, but just wore it for the first time. It's hot as heck here, but it's cotton and short sleeved so I braved it.

It took me exactly a month duration to finish it, but there was a week in there that I didn't get to work on it AT ALL, so there's really about three weeks where I worked on it regularly.

IMG_1713.JPG

charbie

Ideal_Rock
April...you went from not knowing how to knit to that sweater????? I'm so jealous! Did u use ur circular needles?

I just finished a baby hat for my friend...will post later!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Charbie, once I figured out the basic stiches and spent some quality time watching demo videos on Knittinghelp.com, I was decently good to go. It was like having a teacher right with me! The biggest thing was figuring out how to read and understand what the patterns meant when it comes to binding off/decreasing for sleeves, picking up stiches, etc. I think I'm decently competent now.

I did use circular needles, but I knitted flat. The pattern wasn't written to knit it in the round. Several people did convert it, but I didn't want to take that on. It wasn't that hard to seam up once I figured it out. I did have to reseam the sides THREE times.

I'm working on a cardigan now with a lace stich. I'm doing it out of a silk-bamboo blend. It's sooooo soft. I'm almost done with the back. Still have to do EVERYTHING else, but so far, so good.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i hope this worked.

ETA: whoa! huge picture! but its a pic of the baby hat i knitted. VERY simple pattern. i hadn't knit for at least 5 years...I wanted something easy. it's kinda big for a baby, so i'm going to make another one. this will be a toddler hat :lol:

2010-07-29 18[1].47.10.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock
That is so cute! My nieces would love the tassles on top. Is the pattern on I can find online?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Yup. Go to the Lion Brand website, register, and search for Jester Hat. I got the pattern off the yarn I bought :) but I know you can find it online.

jenmarie

Shiny_Rock
I haven't been back to this thread for a while! Someone asked for my ravelry name, it's jenmarie286

I finished the fair isle sheep cardigan a while back, but unfortunately, I don't think I took any pictures of it before I gave it away! I made it to fit 9-12 months, which was kind of dumb. The kid I made it for will be 9-12 months next summer! However, it fit my cousin's almost 4-year-old pretty great.

Currently, I'm working on a baby blanket for another cousin's baby, due this week. I don't know why, but I keep waiting until the baby is practically born before I make any real progress! She's being induced Thursday (if the baby doesn't decide to come before then, of course) and I'm a little over halfway done with it. I've got ANOTHER cousin pregnant with twins and I'm hoping to get blankets for them done BEFORE her due date! It's totally baby season. FBIL and his wife are probably going to be expecting before too long. And who knows when my friends are going to start their families! I'm going to be knitting until my fingers fall off!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to re-open a dead thread but I recently became a knitter. I just made my first items that involve more than just a knit stitch and a rectangle :) Very simple baby mittens - I made 3 different sizes just to have some examples
I'm hoping to make a baby hat next and then move on to more complicated items - blankets and maybe some baby sweaters :appl:

100_4388.JPG

jenmarie

Shiny_Rock
I love this thread! Good job on the mittens. Baby stuff is the most gratifying because they're done so quickly! I just finished an afghan and I've done a ton more since the last time I posted in this thread.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, so glad this thread is back -- I will have a bunch of pics to post when I get home!

PumpkinPie, those mittens are adorable! I'm impressed that you made them as a new knitter, you are picking it up fast (pun intended) :bigsmile:

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
aw thanks Octavia. I bought 4 more sizes of needles today and started a baby hat. I will post it as soon as it's done! :)

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad to see this thread back too! I've turned into a crazy knitter! I'm actually selling on Etsy and Artfire now. I'm still fighting for the first Etsy sale, but I've sold a couple items on Artfire and I'm doing a craft show next month. I'm really excited.

Here's some of my recent stuff. I could literally knit all day, every day.

flapper hat.jpg

button tab.jpg

slouch hat with cables.jpg

twist cowl.jpg

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
April 20 - knit request

April20 - where can I see more of the stuff you have made and is for sale? I love the hats. I start chemotherapy soon and if my hair falls out, I'd love to wear hats like that, even with a small wig underneath like on your models. and maybe you can knit hats with cotton material for the summer? not sure if you take requests, but maybe we could help each other out.

ETA - I found you on Etsy. did a search and found the same photo for the slouched hat. will see if I can send you an e-mail through that.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
April 20 - you are a super knitter! I'm awed by your talent, compared to my beginner attempts :)

However, I'm still going to be brave and post my beginner goods anyway - here are the sets of baby hats and mitts that I'm giving to 2 of my pregnant friends (one is pregnant with girl twins, the other does not know the sex yet)

100_4401.JPG

100_4397.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock
PP, those look great! How sweet for your friends.

One of the first things I knit after a square dish cloth was a baby sweater for a friend. Once you can knit in the round and also decifer patterns (and what the heck they're trying to tell you), it gets easier and easier, I promise!!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks April for the encouragement! I've made a few sets of booties in the past week. I'm hoping to work on a blanket or 2 before graduating to the circular needles :appl:

100_4411.JPG

100_4414.JPG

100_4415.JPG

100_4417.JPG

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
PumkinPie - you are on a roll!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I'm making a blanket now. Though the first few hours work on it were for naught (I accidentally only cast on 122 stitches instead of the 123 it was supposed to be), I restarted it and it's now 1 inch long. Only 27 more to go!

has anyone else finished (or started) any projects lately?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Finally getting around to posting some of my latest projects! They're crummy iPhone pics, unfortunately, but at least you can get the idea...

First, some fingerless gloves I made to use in my freezing office:
IMG_0312.jpg

Next, a cardigan-and-bloomers set I made for a friend's baby:
IMG_0316.jpg

Finally, a blanket I'm working on for another friend's baby:
IMG_0319.jpg

Unfortunately, I hurt my arm when I slipped on some ice, so I'm out of commission for awhile. I'm sulking... :blackeye: and hoping to heal quickly.

Pumpkin_Pie, those booties are precious!! And don't be too down on yourself about having to frog the blanket, I can't count the number of times I've had to do that.

jenmarie

Shiny_Rock
Octavia! I love that blanket, do you mind sharing the pattern for it?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Jenmarie, are you on Ravelry? If so, search for the "Leaf Lace Washcloth" by Jan Eaton. The pattern repeat is 10 stitches, so I just cast on 10 stitches for each border, plus the number of repeats I wanted in the center (I'm using sport-weight yarn and I think I have 130 total stitches) and worked the pattern from there. I think th Harvest Moon blanket uses a similar lace pattern, if not the same one, but this was a free pattern and super easy to modify. If you're not confident about tweaking patterns, though, the Harvest Moon pattern would probably be better, but it's a bit pricey!

jenmarie

Shiny_Rock
I am on Ravelry! It's what pushed me to knit more. I love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results