carat
color
clarity

Any ideas for a band for this ring?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@NicoleNeedsHelp -

Yes - that sort of head, where the diamonds in the halo/cluster are the same size as those in your band, or thereabouts. Just gives it better balance.

And yes - I've been to Singlestone a bunch of times and - yikes! $$$ They gave me a quote once for a pair of earrings that was...around 7k? I got them made by Brian Gavin Diamonds in the end for 2k, as I recall. They also gave me a quote for a necklace - diamonds-by-the-yard. The quote was over 22k - maybe 23k? I can't recall exactly, but it was between 22 and 23. I was providing ALL the diamonds and they were just going to set them, provide the gold and the metal work. Basically, they were making a metal necklace for my diamonds. 22k... :-o

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
@NicoleNeedsHelp -

Yes - that sort of head, where the diamonds in the halo/cluster are the same size as those in your band, or thereabouts. Just gives it better balance.

And yes - I've been to Singlestone a bunch of times and - yikes! $$$ They gave me a quote once for a pair of earrings that was...around 7k? I got them made by Brian Gavin Diamonds in the end for 2k, as I recall. They also gave me a quote for a necklace - diamonds-by-the-yard. The quote was over 22k - maybe 23k? I can't recall exactly, but it was between 22 and 23. I was providing ALL the diamonds and they were just going to set them, provide the gold and the metal work. Basically, they were making a metal necklace for my diamonds. 22k... :-o

Thanks! I have an appointment to meet with Amy at David Klass tomorrow and I will explore the options with her. My engagement ring is a single cast, so I’m not sure I can change it. We will see. Do you know Amy? Is she good?

As far as Singlestone, I am having Ari recut a diamond for me ( for a completely different project). I have a MRB stone that was uncertified. I sent it to GIA for certification and it was a poorly cut MRB, but it screams to be turned into an OEC. Thus, Ari is recutting it himself. He is more expensive, but his expertise is top notch when it comes to cutting. I had limited options for places that would recut a diamond into an OEC and since I’m close to Los Angeles, I chose SingleStone. Singlestone is charging me $900 to recut a 1.24 carat diamond. Yes, this is high, but he showed me some stones that he has cut and they are amazing. I also got a quote from Brian Gavin and his was around $600– but I would have to ship the diamond to Houston and that gets expensive fast. I wish I could buy a band from Singlestone, but I would need a second job.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I have an appointment to meet with Amy at David Klass tomorrow and I will explore the options with her. My engagement ring is a single cast, so I’m not sure I can change it. We will see. Do you know Amy? Is she good?

As far as Singlestone, I am having Ari recut a diamond for me ( for a completely different project). I have a MRB stone that was uncertified. I sent it to GIA for certification and it was a poorly cut MRB, but it screams to be turned into an OEC. Thus, Ari is recutting it himself. He is more expensive, but his expertise is top notch when it comes to cutting. I had limited options for places that would recut a diamond into an OEC and since I’m close to Los Angeles, I chose SingleStone. Singlestone is charging me $900 to recut a 1.24 carat diamond. Yes, this is high, but he showed me some stones that he has cut and they are amazing. I also got a quote from Brian Gavin and his was around $600– but I would have to ship the diamond to Houston and that gets expensive fast. I wish I could buy a band from Singlestone, but I would need a second job.

Re Ari cutting stones - this is a great option to keep in mind.

And yes, I know Amy very well. She's a wonderful person and she'll make whatever you ask, or, if you'd like her to come up with a design, she's very experienced in that as well. Personally, I'd be asking for her input as to how she'd set the whole ring, as she may have an entirely different approach. Costs you nothing to ask.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love mrs b.’s idea of a larger halo but I also think a thin band would look nice. I agree it’s not delicate as is, and it sounds like you don’t like that. Can’t wait to hear how it was at DK!

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
@NicoleNeedsHelp - how did your appt go?

Thanks for checking in. It went good. Amy is going to think on it and draw some things up. If we like any of the drawings, she will make a mold. The ring was cast as a single piece, so we will see what she comes up with. I should know more by next week. She seemed pretty confident that something could be done.

Before seeing Amy, I was with Ari at Singlestone and he was finished with the re-cut of my diamond for another project (my original engagement ring is 20 years old and had a poorly cut 1.2 carat diamond in it. The re-cut diamond will go back in the original ring because I’m keeping it for sentimental reasons). He did such an amazing job on the re-cut of my MRB to OEC. I should have it next week. It just needs to be set. Also, just for fun, tried on a bunch of rings at Singlestone. They have some incredible products, but I would have to sell my car, house, son, liver, kidney, right arm and husband to get a Singlestone ring. Note: husband may be for sale since he has been working from home since March!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe too much metal and not enough bling?

Was gonna say the exact opposite. Do tiny sparkles clash with medium and large sparkles? ;)2

I love that center stone but I think there is a lack of contrast since every square mm is pave, etc.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Amy came back with some CADs and is sending a wax model. Here are the CADs. Thoughts? F312D58E-B971-4FAD-A227-89689368054F.jpeg

Overall, I love the aesthetic. The shoulders are elegant and provide some contrast to the halo.
Do YOU like the empty gallery? Some people prefer it, others like something there.
Could you post some other settings that you like?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to reiterate my earlier question. You came here looking to pair it with a band and now you are resetting it. What issues bother you with your current setting? Is it because some posters told you they didn’t like it? Or what is it that you don’t like? I think This new setting seems like it will be just as blingy as your current one but will have a more vintage look—more of a rhr look imo. Is that the look you are after? Will that solve your band issue?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just caught up on this thread and wow, I am so confused. OP, do YOU want to change your e-ring setting or are you giving into peer pressure?

I, for one, think that your current setting and band are lovely. You seem to have owned them both for a few months so likely you are not in the return period for the band, is that true? I would either add a delicate coloured spacer (YG, rg, gemstone) and enjoy your beautiful set as is! In the future, if you get tired of it, reset then!

Can you please tell us if today when you look down at your hand and see your halo ring, you dislike what you see?

I personally don’t prefer the new cad over your current intricate design, they are completely different styles, so please think carefully if you want to spend more funds and get into another reset that you might not even like. At the very least, you should try to visit some jewelry shops and see if you can try on modern clusters before you pull the trigger on a reset (which once again, I would advice against)

L

lydial

Since OP seems ready to move on to a new e-ring setting I will comment on her CAD. Maybe this means her current e-ring setting will be repurposed. So, I personally think the flat floating shape of the cluster top reads contemporary, and the shoulders and shank read retro/Edwardian. I am not sure how the band reads, need more photos. Maybe another “miss” aesthetically even though it has a nice layout. I would really like to see a few more photos off her hand of both the current e-ring and band before encouraging any more CAD change.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all!
At this point, I’m a bit confused on what to do. I don’t mind changing part of the e-ring. I don’t think I care for the cluster look because it is an e-ring (although I do love clusters for RHR). Let me post pics of just the e-ring for you guys to comment on. I can post some hand shots tomorrow when the sun comes out. After communicating with Amy at David Klass, here are my current options (both would require change to the ring, but not a complete do over) and I would love input:
1. Tighten up the halo around the center stone and remove some of the extra metal on the ring or
2. Delete the top halo and replace with larger center stone. This would create an Art Deco solitaire.

What I dislike is the top halo. I like the ring from the sides, but there is something off about the top (basically my view if I look straight down at the ring). I don’t have to wear a band and lately just been wearing the e-ring, but there is something I don’t like about it and my feeble mind cannot figure it out.

If you look at the 3rd pic, you may see what I mean- something about that halo is off

27818EC4-B951-43CB-9243-AB29A365460E.jpeg 612E9529-F502-4F9F-AAA5-591B2B57C442.jpeg E783D3EB-CD44-4814-AFF7-5361092DEC7C.jpeg E2BC0D4A-6047-4F01-9602-7B6FCE5DE6E1.jpeg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all!
At this point, I’m a bit confused on what to do. I don’t mind changing part of the e-ring. I don’t think I care for the cluster look because it is an e-ring (although I do love clusters for RHR). Let me post pics of just the e-ring for you guys to comment on. I can post some hand shots tomorrow when the sun comes out. After communicating with Amy at David Klass, here are my current options (both would require change to the ring, but not a complete do over) and I would love input:
1. Tighten up the halo around the center stone and remove some of the extra metal on the ring or
2. Delete the top halo and replace with larger center stone. This would create an Art Deco solitaire.

What I dislike is the top halo. I like the ring from the sides, but there is something off about the top (basically my view if I look straight down at the ring). I don’t have to wear a band and lately just been wearing the e-ring, but there is something I don’t like about it and my feeble mind cannot figure it out.

If you look at the 3rd pic, you may see what I mean- something about that halo is off

27818EC4-B951-43CB-9243-AB29A365460E.jpeg 612E9529-F502-4F9F-AAA5-591B2B57C442.jpeg E783D3EB-CD44-4814-AFF7-5361092DEC7C.jpeg E2BC0D4A-6047-4F01-9602-7B6FCE5DE6E1.jpeg

Can you post pics of rings that you do like?

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post pics of rings that you do like?

What I tend to gravitate towards: Graduated side stones (gaining size towards the center), round center diamond, I also like “steps” in the side stones (see the sides of my e-ring towards the center stone where it looks like a triangle, that was really supposed to be a step). Overall, I do lik 77838219-4AFA-4865-ACE5-DC4E3C49AF64.png e the 2C98BB44-8517-43D3-9F0E-F1414B82EFDB.png look of a C3F36D7A-C724-44C9-B21A-08BD44F3DB02.png very blingy ring in a vintage feel. My center stone is a 1.8, which is why I tried to add a halo for some added size. Here are some general pics and what I like about each one

1. I like the graduated side stones. I know the ones in the pic are French cut and I prefer round.

2 & 3. I like the step stones. Ignore how the center stone is square

As you already figured out, my taste is all over the board and I tried to put too many different ideas in my e-ring. It was my design.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your inspiration rings help give us a better idea of what you are drawn to. You like Art Deco styles. What if you delete the halo and have Amy design deco style prongs? I think the size of your current stone would look fine unless you want to upgrade the size.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tbh, it’s hard to envision how any of the suggested modifications will look or if they will appease you. If you really dislike your setting—you might be better off selling it bc it is a lovely ring as is —it’s just not your style. Unless you have a design of how your ring will look after modifications, I would sell and Choose a stock setting that you know you love.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others that your current is beautiful and to either leave it alone or to wait rather than make another hasty resetting decision. While I VASTLY prefer your ring current ring over the new CAD (which reads very rhr to me), I think I may know what bothers you - the halo in your existing ring is modern while the rest of the elements in your ring read vintage (milgraining, bead set diamonds, engraving, etc.).

I *think* maybe you're looking for the halo to be more in line with that vintage vibe like these that have the delicate milgrain around the halo that make the ring cohesive:

Regardless, it really doesn't hurt to take a step back, enjoy your ring as is and nail down what you really want/love.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i just wanted to say that you have a very pretty ring. although, it you arent overjoyed with it, then there are many options before you. sometimes too many options can be a bit overwhelming. in that case, do take the time you need to decide for yourself which direction you wish to go in

often times, we really dont know our deep seated preferences are until we live with a piece of jewelry for a while. sure at the point of purchase, we may feel we love something only to find out that after living with it we are not so enamored any longer ... its a bit of a journey and it can take awhile ...

best of luck to you

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is a really fun challenge. Pls take pics of bands you try on so we can comment and compare looks! Good luck!!

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Update: A lot has happened in the past 8 weeks!

1. The ring pictured here has been turned into a RHR with a sapphire. David Klass sourced the stone and did the work. See picture. I like it much better as a RHR. I pick it up on Monday.

2. You may have seen, I had Victor Canera make my e-ring. One of the best pieces of advice I got from PSers was to step back and think about what I wanted. I was in a tail spin trying to fix a ring that I didn’t care for. What I finally figured out was that I did not want a halo on my ER. It took me a while to figure this out because I love halos in pictures. So, I bit the bullet and started from scratch with the ER. B8D0C80D-DEFF-4780-91DE-A17ED7E390BF.jpeg

3. I still have the platinum band shown in this thread. It is really pretty, but does not go with my new VC ring. I might need to sell it. Amy at David Klass currently has it and we are deciding what to do with it.

I finally have an engagement ring that is really beautiful (See pic). I am super happy and super poor!!! What a journey. I need to get back to work as I owe VC money :boohoo::boohoo:;)2:oops2: 7B305A9B-4649-4875-A500-13EA958DA073.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results