carat
color
clarity

Any idea of age and are these OMC?

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I've had this ring for a number of years now but never worn it until recently, I think PS is helping me to appreciate more different styles of jewellery and develop my taste :) Thank you.
It's been in the family for definitely one generation before it came to me and we think it belonged to a Grandparent before that...but we can't be sure! Do you think it could have been an old engagement ring?
I hadn't realised until I cropped the photos that it looks in very good condition underneath...I don't think my relation ever wore it, we certainly never saw her wearing it.
It only has one mark inside the ring "15" and nothing else so I don't know if that's the gold, or if it relates to something else.

I have a 'diamond measurement' plastic gauge but I think it's for modern round brilliant cuts really, on that the centre stone size is a little less than the 0.5ct hole (but much more than the 0.25ct) and the surrounding eight stones are maybe 0.08ct each but as they are irregular and irregularly set I'm only conservatively "guesstimating". I imagine it's not really wise to use a modern gauge to judge old diamonds but I thought that would help with an idea of its size/measurements.

I took it into a respectable jeweller recently, to ask about valuations for insurance but also just because I'm fascinated and would love to know as much as possible about it, but as he's so busy for the next month with a back log of appraisals I'll have to return another time. All he said was "it's very old and the diamonds are secure enough for you to wear it".

Any help would be great, thank you.

_5779.jpeg

_5780.jpeg

_5781.jpeg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to tell much from photographs, but the diamonds certainly do seem to have the small, tall tables that we associate with old cuts. The most common distinction I've seen made between Old Mine Cuts and Old European Cuts is the roundness of the stone: generally round old cuts tend to be called Old European Cut, while a more cushion-shaped old cut is generally classified as an Old Mine Cut.

I have my own personal additional distinction, however, that has to do with the overall symmetry of the facets (relative to each other). I have some very old cut diamond that have downright wonky facets. Maybe they're pre-mine cuts? :wink2:

That's a beautiful ring, by the way. I hope you're planning to rescue it from its safe deposit box purgatory!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, 15ct gold was common in England between 1854 and 1931 after which 14ct or 18ct were the normal assays. I'd say your ring is Victorian and around the 1900s. It may have had other hallmarks but sometimes when rings are resized over the years, all or part of the hall marking "disappears". It's very beautiful and you should be making sure sure it gets plenty of "out and about" time.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you VRBeauty and Bron357.

That's really interesting about the facets VRBeauty as mine also do seem to be seriously wonky, and one stone is even more odd than the rest, unfortunately I don't think I can get a photo of it as with that small a detail the image goes to mush! The middle stone is definitely cushion shaped and the surrounding ones have a mix of cushion, slightly rounder and more slightly oval ones.

Thank you Bron357, that's great info about the 15ct gold and it fits with my possible time line too. This is all great to know.

Thank you both, I'm starting to love it and knowing it's an old one makes it extra special, I will definitely let it out of the box more often now...it deserves a good party after reaching this age :)

fel

Shiny_Rock
I have a garnet and OMC ring hallmarked 1877. The diamonds remind me of yours, so perhaps that is a help in dating it. Sorry for the bad picture -- it is all I have.

_38234.jpg

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Fel, Thank you for your help, that's really interesting.
I would never have guessed your lovely ring was from 1877, it's such a 'timeless' design and the hallmarks look really clear. I suppose I've always assumed that 'old' would mean well worn. I'd be delighted if mine was as old as yours :)

Thank you for your help.

fel

Shiny_Rock
Yes I would be suspicious of the age of my ring as well, given condition, except it all checks out. The tone of the gold seems old fashioned, the cut of the diamonds is spot on, and the bohemian pyrope garnet is spot on (very red, no brown modifier at all in real life, and very dark with just a red ember peaking out). Plus the hallmarks are quite specific and somewhat overkill. I guess the ring was pretty much unworn before I got it.

Anyway, the diamonds are not just OMC's but also seem to be hand cut with somewhat random facet shapes. That is why they remind me of yours.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
I have nothing to add but wanted to say that your ring is beautiful. How special to have such a nice heirloom.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results