shape
carat
color
clarity

Any help is appreciated...is this a good deal?

Blever1

Rough_Rock
This is a GIA certified 1.52 carot round diamond, H color, si1, very good cut, very good polish and very good symmetry.
I don't have the other info with me, but for the diamond and the setting plus tax I'm looking at $12,800. Am I getting ripped off
Or is this a good deal? Any help appreciated.

Blever1

Rough_Rock
Here's a picture

_17330.jpg

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Can you post the GIA cert number? Also, did you already search for comps yourself from the PS main page?

Blever1

Rough_Rock
Additional info

7.22x7.24x4.59
Table-55
Depth-63.5
Crown-36 degrees
Stark- 50%
Pa- 40.6
Lh- 80%
Girdle thin-thick 4.5%
No cutlet

Most of this is gibberish to me, but hopefully with your guys help I can see if I should buy or run

Blever1

Rough_Rock
OECsareforLovers|1398458121|3660046 said:
Can you post the GIA cert number? Also, did you already search for comps yourself from the PS main page?

I don't have gia cert number...this is just a ring from a jewler I went to. I don't know what you mean by comps.

jwintim

Rough_Rock
It scores a 1.9 on the HCA which means it passes that test. You are looking at the stone in real life, how does it look? Did you compare it to other stones in the store? Can you see any inclusions with your naked eye?

Does $12,800 include the setting? Seems like a decent price to me if so.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Blever1|1398458410|3660053 said:
OECsareforLovers|1398458121|3660046 said:

I don't have gia cert number...this is just a ring from a jewler I went to. I don't know what you mean by comps.

Comps= comparables

Just enter your specs in the diamond search engine here in PS (you can see it on the main page). But remember, cut is king, so you may find a stone with similar weight, color, clarity numbers but it won't have the same brilliance/scintillation/sparkle factor ( for better or for worse).

Blever1

Rough_Rock
jwintim|1398458655|3660055 said:
It scores a 1.9 on the HCA which means it passes that test. You are looking at the stone in real life, how does it look? Did you compare it to other stones in the store? Can you see any inclusions with your naked eye?

Yea it looks good, there are some inclusions but nothing you can see with the naked eye (or at least i can't). I just hear so much about having an excellent cut that since this is listed as Very good I wasn't getting the bang for my buck

caldwa

Rough_Rock
Blever1|1398459307|3660058 said:
jwintim|1398458655|3660055 said:

Yea it looks good, there are some inclusions but nothing you can see with the naked eye (or at least i can't). I just hear so much about having an excellent cut that since this is listed as Very good I wasn't getting the bang for my buck

Most on here are going to guide you away from getting a "very good" GIA diamond, because they will not have the superior light performance of an AGS000 diamond or select GIA Ex diamonds. So if cut is very important to you, and you want a diamond that is going to perform and sparkle extensively, then no you won't be getting the bang for you buck on that diamond and ring.

A quick search on Blue Nile and James Allen puts diamonds with those specs at anywhere from $10-13k, so it doesn't seem like it's a ripoff.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a steep deep diamond. The middle one on this chart:

using_IS_Reference_Chart_72.jpg

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough.
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
http://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
http://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform. It's only goal is to weed out stones that have angles that do not normally result in ideal light performance.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score 2 and under is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. http://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. James Allen, BGD, GOG, ERD, HPD and WF do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA. The HCA is just used narrow and predict which stones will have a good idealscope image.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results