shape
carat
color
clarity

any help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

minicat

Rough_Rock
i looking to buy a pear cut stone and would love some advise. its a gift so the certificate ''ratings'' mean nothing...just the sparkle.

(all assuming gia cert grade and viewing under nornal everyday conditions by someone with keen, but not expert eyes)
i dont want it to look yellow...should i stick to F or go to G. or lower? i know it depend on people eyes...but in general.

and for eye clean should i look in the vs range or can i go to si?

and then the size. i want to keep it to about 800, but i am willing to go to 2000 if i am getting a stone that has substantially more visual impact.

basically im looking for the most bang for my buck, but by spending as little as possible ie. i dont want to buy something just because its cheap, but i dont want to spend more just to feel good or something...i want to SEE the difference and not feel like i paid a lot more and got little extra.

it doesnt matter about the actual weight, only the visual size....i was told ''just shy of .75'' should have the most visual impact around the .4 to .8 bracket...but then being just short of .8, it kinda would
33.gif

thanks
minicat

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

brian.hauth

Rough_Rock
I wouldn''t go much lower than an H. In my opinion, SI1 diamonds are the best clarity for the dollar as long as its an SI1 by AGS or GIA standards.

To get the most bang for the buck, I would start looking in the G, H, or I color range and I''d stick with an SI1 clarity. I would also look for "Excellent" or "Ideal" polish and symmetry. Then from there, you can see what you can get for size.

minicat

Rough_Rock
puurrrfect.

thanks

minicat

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2008 11:06:15 PM
Author: brian.hauth
I wouldn't go much lower than an H. In my opinion, SI1 diamonds are the best clarity for the dollar as long as its an SI1 by AGS or GIA standards.

To get the most bang for the buck, I would start looking in the G, H, or I color range and I'd stick with an SI1 clarity. I would also look for 'Excellent' or 'Ideal' polish and symmetry. Then from there, you can see what you can get for size.
This is good advice. With a pear shape sometimes a little warmth can be noticed if you look in some lights at the tip, my GIA H pear shows a little tint there - it isn't a problem for me but be aware it can happen, especially if you choose a lower colour grade than that, ask the vendor if a particular stone shows that effect and how it looks for colour as fancy shapes may sometimes show a little more overall body colour than rounds. However G or H colour from GIA can definitely be worth concentrating on, as can a well cut I colour.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results