shape
carat
color
clarity

ANWAR is a go!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cubheilma

Rough_Rock
lizzyd:

please do not believe for one second what movie zombie implied I was saying. he/she took it totally out of context. if you re-read my previous posts, you will see that it is a stretch to imply what he/she did. i have done nothing but defend this country.

also, i understand that what i write is based on my opinion. As far as facts go, please let me know the statements I made as fact which are incorrect and I will be glad to correct my opinion/stance if you show me proof.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyd,

thanks for the article. its just another instance of why we the people must question, question, question.

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
youngster, yes, i did indeed note the irony of it all! ''conflict'' oil is more of a problem than ''conflict'' diamonds, imho.

Cubheilma, anytime anyone even alludes to my being an america hater because i have a differing opinion and speak it, i''m going to call s/he on it. i will not have my patriotism smeared because someone else is not willing to hear a differing opinion. in the future, please feel free to disagree with me [even regarding diamonds], but do NOT in any way shape or form insinuate that i''m not a good patriotic american. i respect that you have the right to your opinion; and i expect that you as a good american will respect my right as well.

peace, movie zombie

Cubheilma

Rough_Rock
movie:

I wasn't referring specifically to you in any of the posts in question. Anytime you feel that way, you are more than welcome to call me on it. But please do not try to turn the argument around on me by twisting parts of my words in a way that is not consistent with what I posted and can be construed by someone who did not hear the whole argument as "hating america".

i think we've taken this argument far enough. have a good night.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2005 6:25:20 PM
Author: fire&ice

Anyway, why do I find it odd to see a John Kerry sticker on a Hummer (true enough)?

Ban gas guzzeling SUVs!
AMEN.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and i quote ben: "You may hate America, but it is the greatest country in the world hands down and the last hope for reason in this world."

again, the accusation came in loud and clear no matter that you use the word ''may''. trying not to 2nd guess and label those that disagree with you may go a long way in facilitating discussion.

to paraphrase that movie immortal Forrest Gump: patriotism is as patriotism does.

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
crankydave, i''m guessing that most of us who can afford the gems discussed here at pricescope have stocks, bonds, 401k''s, IRA''s, etc. so we are invested in the current technology and economy. after all, its $$$ that let''s us indulge in those pretty pretty gems.

but i gotta tell you, i''d rather my $$$ was earned on new technology that will help us be less dependent on oil and leave ANWR alone.

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''ve read something i haven''t. i read that the locals didn''t want it. perhaps it depends on which locals are iinterviewed....

peace, movie zombie

Cubheilma

Rough_Rock
movie zombie:

first of all, the only post you made before the post I did was "i heard a reporter say that its even worse: the oil from this ANWAR will end up being sold on the foreign market!"

The post i made was not directed at you. if you include the first part of my statement, as I asked you to, "for those people bashing this decision," you will see that since you only made a statement of what you heard, you were not bashing the decision, hence the statement was not directed at you. I do not know why you are taking it personally as if i was talking about you alone. In fact it was a general statement for those saying america is going to hell and that they want to leave the country.

We''ll have to agree to disagree.

Again, goodnight!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Can anyone answer this question? Perhaps I am misinformed; but, I didn''t think crude was the shortage in this country. I thought it was refined oil that was in shorter supply. So, if we are "mining" more crude - how is this really going to help?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2005 10:41:30 AM
Author: Feydakin
By prodcuing lower cost crude and selling it to countries like Canada that do have refineries (btw, can you guess why we hae no new refineries in the US?) they will be able to produce more grades of petrol products at lower prices to sell to us.. Thus, lowering the price..
Sounds like a backwards way of doing things.

Regarding the new refineries - I don''t know for certain - but it must have something to do with the spotted owl.
28.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty, I love what your are saying!
35.gif

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2005 12
6.gif
1:49 PM
Author: Feydakin
It''s definately a backwards way of doing things.. But it''s the same reason California has power problems, and one of many reasons we left there.. There have been no NEW power generating facilities built in California in something like 20 years+ while their power consumption grows by leaps and bounds.. California is trying to ''stay clean'' by simply forcing, asking, bribing, and or defaulting on payments, to neighboring states for electricity and let them deal with the polution.. But at least Ca is clean!!

14.gif
True. If I''m not mistaken, and I think someone else has already posted this, but there also hasn''t been a new oil refinery built in the U.S. for over 40 years. Our current refineries are operating at maximum capacity and have to produce multiple different kinds of fuel to meet the requirements of different states, which sometimes cause shortages. Hence, prices increase.

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2005 10:46:30 PM
Author: movie zombie
you''ve read something i haven''t. i read that the locals didn''t want it. perhaps it depends on which locals are iinterviewed....

peace, movie zombie

Actually, it does depend on which locals are interviewed. The internet is such a great thing!

The Inupiat Eskimos who actually live on the coastal plain are a very poor people living in ramshackle housing, and they overwhelmingly support oil development on the coastal plain-because they will get a cut. However, the Gwich''in people oppose the development. The "capital" of the Gwich''in nation is Arctic Village (pop. 150), which just happens to be hundreds of miles away from the coastal plain on the other side of the Brooks mountain range. The Gwich''in are the ones who appear at congressional hearings in Washington, wearing native garb they only occasionally put on back home. The Gwich''in insist that even looking for oil on the coastal plain — with non-intrusive seismic imaging — would be unacceptable. If you ask a Inupiat Eskimo why the Gwich''in are blocking exploration, he''ll tell you the Gwich''in are furious because they don''t have any oil of their own. You might be interested to know that the Gwich''in invited those same evil oil companies to look for oil on their own lands more than a decade ago. But, they didn''t find any.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results