shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique silver ring with unidentified colour change gem

Morrigan2112

Rough_Rock
Hi,

This was found in a box of donations from a charity shop along with a Jade and Marcasite ring with an interesting setting.

At first it appeared to be costume jewellery and had a large pink/purple piece of glass mounted in it. But I kept it as I found the chunky silver setting and the coolness of the stone unusual even for good costume jewellery. The stone is ridiculously large so I found it hard to believe it was a real gem or of real value however when taking it out to examine it one night I pulled out a ring with a light blue stone instead of the pink I saw during daylight! Under different lighting it changes colour and can range from a light aqua with a hint of green, pale blue, pale indigo, lavender and pink. (Pictures with different lighting conditions to follow).

What I also find strange is that the purple tones are highlighted in daylight, pink tones in candlelight and blue only in warm / light-bulb light which is unlike any of the colour changing stones I have read about. Unless I have my Kelvins wrong and my lighbulb is not what I think it is.

I'm taking it in to a lab to get it looked next week but am wondering if anyone has any clue what the stone in this ring might be (if it is a gemstone at all)?

img_9762.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably synthetic alexandrite (large, very clean and purple/pink to blue/green colour change).

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Chrono.
I have 2 of these synthetic alexandrites, given to me by a retired jeweler. Mine are about 10 ct. each.
The color change is dramatic, and exactly the same tones in your photo.
It's a really cool ring, though!!

Morrigan2112

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thank you for your advice, I'm looking forward to seeing what the lab has to say :)

It is quite a piece and even if synthetic it's still something I will hold onto, it's quite unique.

Any idea what a synthetic alexandrite might be valued at?

Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhere around $20 for a 32 ct synthetic alexandrite.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results