shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Sapphire and Rose Cut Diamond Ring

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This ring has been in my family since World War II. My grandfather was in Italy during the war and purchased this ring for my grandmother. He was told that it was made in the mid 19th century by an Italian jeweler for his wife. My grandmother wore this ring everyday and I have been fascinated with it since I was a baby. I used to gnaw on it when I was teething. My love of jewelry came from my grandmother and I knew that this ring would come to me when she passed, though I always used to tell her that I wanted her to keep it for a long, long time!

It has never been appraised because I haven't found anyone in my area with the expertise to do so... therefore, I have no specs at all. When I was in NY last summer meeting with Leon, he asked to look at it and commented that he thought it was gold and silver, since platinum didn't exist in the mid-1800's....either way, it is a treasure to me and it reminds me of my beloved grandma everytime I wear it!

antique%20ring3.jpg

antique%20ring_0.jpg

grandmothers%20ring.png

grandma's%20ring4.jpg

antique%20ring6.jpg

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
How nice that you have this beautiful heirloom to remember your grandmother! ::)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
That is a truly beautiful heirloom with a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful heirloom :)

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, how wonderful! What a regal looking piece!

I know how you feel, too! I was very recently given my Nana's wedding ring... the first piece of jewelry that captured my imagination more than 50 years ago. I love to think about how over the moon they much have been when they received them back in the day.

Yay for Nanas! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring, yenny! More photos, please -- the gallery and band look amazing and I'd love to see close-ups.

Interesting that Leon thinks the ring is both gold and silver. Amethyst needs to see this thread -- she's considering a custom design in silver.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks ladies! I've been trying to get decent photos of the sapphire color for a while now, but have given up. I know for a fact that the ring hasn't been cleaned in about 30 years (I've had it about 12). Most jewelers here won't touch it, so I know that it's filthy. I've also wanted to see if there's a way to replace the very old sizer thing that's in it without damaging the ring and then somehow sizing it without losing any of the details of the band.

Here are a few close up photos....

close%20up2.jpg

close%20up3.jpg

close%20up.jpg

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful heirloom!!! It is stunning :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful, Yenny! I think it will be incredible when you get it cleaned!

stci

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful treasure! Beauty!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does anyone have any thoughts as to where I could safely have the ring cleaned and possibly the sizing bar replaced? I'd probably want to hand deliver it, so preferably somewhere in the U.S.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JbEG? They seem to be the resident experts in antiques...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1300826843|2877569 said:
Does anyone have any thoughts as to where I could safely have the ring cleaned and possibly the sizing bar replaced? I'd probably want to hand deliver it, so preferably somewhere in the U.S.

I would consider taking it to Single Stone and asking them to clean it and perhaps rework some of the prongs on the head that have worn down. They did a spectacular job refurbishing Ninama's family ring, and I bet it would make a world of difference to the appearance of this ring too! It is a spectaculy piece, well worth the time and effort to give it the proper TLC to return it to its glory-days appearance.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, yenny, for the close-ups. I love the gallery and the leaf shapes on the side. It's incredible that all the stones are intact after 150 years. How wonderful that your grandmother loved it so much and that it was a gift from your grandfather.

I agree with Dreamer -- Singlestone is where I would start, for cleaning and restoration, and possibly an appraisal. You might also want to e-mail Dave Atlas to see if he appraises rings of this era. If he doesn't, I'll be he knows of someone who does.

Good luck and keep us posted.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the suggestion Dreamer! I'll give Singlestone a call and see what they say. I'd love to see what this ring looked like in its heyday...and I'd love to know if it's truly Italian made in the mid 19th century...I'll keep ya'll posted! ;))

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
It is Georgian in my opinion with the piercing in the gallery, the way the band is engraved and the diamond cut/ prongs. Singlestone is a good idea, Circa is another good resource, they are in San Fran. Are there any markings?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yenny what a special heirloom. definitely get it cleaned and restored-it is gorgeous :)

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful story. It sounds like that ring was very loved! I love the gold leaf detail on the sides.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are no markings that I can see, but I'm going to get a magnifying glass out and check.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Its just beautiful, YF!!!! What a special piece!!! :))

stci

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1300830909|2877633 said:
yennyfire|1300826843|2877569 said:

I would consider taking it to Single Stone and asking them to clean it and perhaps rework some of the prongs on the head that have worn down. They did a spectacular job refurbishing Ninama's family ring, and I bet it would make a world of difference to the appearance of this ring too! It is a spectaculy piece, well worth the time and effort to give it the proper TLC to return it to its glory-days appearance.

I agree with Dreamer... single stone are the best way to clean and verify this beauty!

Yennyfire this ring is magic in your hand... really!

moonshot

Rough_Rock
I have a ring that is VERY similar to this one, except it has just one row of diamonds (10 in total) surrounding the sapphire. The engraved leaves on the side are IDENTICAL. I know for a fact that mine is from Italy, because it has belonged to my husband's family for well over one hundred years, and he was born and bred in Italy, as were his ancestors. He has always been told that it was made mid-19th Century. Your ring is the only other one that I have seen that looks even remotely like mine. I will endeavour to find the lead for my camera so that I can post a photograph of it on here.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh moonshot! I'd LOVE to see photos. It sounds like just maybe our rings were made by the same jeweler?? That would be some crazy coincidence! How amazing! I still can't get decent shots of the sapphire....is yours on the darker side too? What size is yours (roughly)? I haven't had mine sized because that darned sizing bar is in there and I haven't figured out how to size it without cutting out some of the gorgeous engraved shank and I can't bring myself to do it.

Please, please, take some photos!! My ring and I are waiting with bated breath!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I am loving rose cuts these days.

moonshot

Rough_Rock
Yes, my sapphire is very dark. You have to hold it up to the light to see that it is blue. When I was given the ring - it's my engagement ring - it was quite large and I had it resized, but I do have stupidly small fingers! I have been hunting all afternoon for the camera lead, but to no avail. I am not giving up though and will carry on hunting after I've had me fish and chips!
Wouldn't it be wonderful if they were made by the same jeweller?!

x

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gah, I don't know what a lead is, but please, please find it (after the fish and chips of course...can't let good fish/chips go to waste). You have the advantage of having seen my photos, while I'm just guessing, but it sure does sound like they were made by the same jeweler. Does yours have any marks in the shank? I've tried to see if mine does, but with the guard thing in there, it's hard to see anything. :rolleyes:

moonshot

Rough_Rock
Have you had a look at the pics yet, Yenny? Would love to know what you think. x

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a real treasure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results