shape
carat
color
clarity

antique road show ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Who saw that beautiful 5.20 G COLOR-VVS2 CLARITY ASSCHURE cut edwardian diamond ring on Antique Road Show on Monday?Worth a wopping $165-175.00!Its amazing what people dont relize what they have! Who else here on the forum watches the road show?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Did you mean 165K? I hope so!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i saw it. the gal seemed surprised at it''s value.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I was waiting to watch that, but a neighbor dropped by and I missed it.

Then I wanted to watch "Moment of Luxury" on PBS with Bill Stubbs.
Bill is an Interior Designer in Houston and I love his personality.
He was in NYC and looking at diamonds. You guessed it, missed that one too!!!!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Was this a repeat...and the woman said it was going back in the safe deposit box or something like that, and she''d never wear it because it was so expensive?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about the fast typing earlier...the diamond is worth 165-175 thousand...its was new and the next two will also be new from Navada.

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
I saw it and almost fainted
23.gif

It was so beautiful. I wish my SO has see that one! The lady said she was from a small mining town in Colorado and the appraiser asked her if the mined diamonds which I got a giggle out of b/c where she''s from is not far from my childhood hometown and trust me there are no diamonds there.

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
I saw the show - the ring was incredible!! It looked like the owner was in complete shock when she heard the estimated value.

Surfgirl - this was a different ring. You''re thinking of the fancy yellow asscher that was on the Philadelphia show a few months ago.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Aw I didn''t see it but my Dad told me about it because he watched though.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
He got the year wrong and the value wrong for todays market.
It was 1925 at the earliest and he said 1915.
The show was a few years old so the value might be right for the time.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Is it the UK one, or do you have a US version?

I am an addict of the UK one - it's a 6.45pm Sunday night tradition!

My father lent them a whole load of antique medical instruments for a competition they ran about 10 years ago - they sent him a pair of Antique Roadshow tea-towels as a thank you!
9.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, we have a US version.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Wow, wish I didn''t miss that show!!!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish that I would have seen it! I love the show, people are always so surprised at what they have!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I used to watch the re-runs of the uk version of antique road show when they were on a few years ago here in the states.The show originated in the UK and its great.I also like the uk show Bargin Hunt...is it still on in the UK?

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, I''m sorry I missed it! I''ll have to look for repeats to see the ring.

I LOVE Antiques Roadshow. My mother was on it when they came to New Orleans several years ago, but she had furniture, sadly, not jewelry.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 8:12:19 PM
Author: UCLABelle
Wow, wish I didn''t miss that show!!!!
ditto, I love Antiques road show
3.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
$165000. to be more precise, if no one else has already made the correction.

But, did you see her face? There was no excitement from her whatsoever!!! She was just surprised; that''s it. I''d have had to be picked up off the floor.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
She doesn't appreciate that ring! She should send it to me!
9.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 12:05:50 AM
Author: surfgirl
Was this a repeat...and the woman said it was going back in the safe deposit box or something like that, and she''d never wear it because it was so expensive?
Oh... I''d love to see that! And how sad if she won''t wear it. My sister-in-law has a huge custom Tiffany ruby ering that belonged to her gram and does not wear it for the same reason. And also for that reason, I have not seen it yet in person. I can''t wait to go and visit the ring! hehe

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
ice kid...thats very funny!I used to look foward to visiting my aunt when i was a kid so i could go through her jewelry box.I was gifted with pieces that are now family heirlooms that I have gifted to my twin sister.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 8:30:22 PM
Author: jewelerman
I used to watch the re-runs of the uk version of antique road show when they were on a few years ago here in the states.The show originated in the UK and its great.I also like the uk show Bargin Hunt...is it still on in the UK?
LOL, I think it''s still going!

I was an addict for the 2 years I was at home ill - in fact I became such an authority on crap daytime TV I signed up to sit on an advisory panel for the BBC giving consumer views on programmes. It was great fun!

Nowadays I only watch the news and Question Time...
15.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Such a gorgeous ring!!

Can anybody tell what shape of stone is on the shoulders? It looks like they are marquise diamonds or pears? I only ask because I haven''t seen any other settings that have pears paired with an asscher besides mine...when DH and I were looking at the ring the SA told us the setting was a reproduction of a ring they made in the art deco period...either ''20''s or maybe very early ''30''s? I was intersted to see another asscher ring that possibly had pear shoulders.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I think they are bezel set marquise(marquises?), the image is actually much clearer in the video.

asshsidesvid.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
ooo, that''s a good picture, those are definitely marquise. Thanks, Marcoledi!

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Oh look at that! So beautiful! I wish I could have seen the show, just to see her face!

GemView

Shiny_Rock
I enjoy "Antiques Roadshow" and posted at the other thread, but thought I''d relate a similar "How could they be so clueless?" story.

I was at the jewelry shop today picking up a custom-made ring and the owner told me that one of his customers went to a yard sale where he ran across an unusually large cabachon. He asked the seller where he got it, to which he replied that it had been handed down from his grandfather. He asked the guy what he wanted for it, and he said "I''ll take $20." The yard sale shopper handed him a $20 and shortly thereafter had the cabachon appraised. Turned out it was an enormous star sapphire worth close to a million dollars.

Look at it this way: At least the woman on Antiques Roadshow had the good sense to seek out an expert''s opinion before pawning it off at a yard sale.
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results