shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique ring help: loose stones, thin metalwork

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
A great result, and such a gorgeous piece. With these one-of-a-kind beauties, the actual cost matters less when you’re in love!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring is back after being repaired and looks so much better! It underwent quite a bit more work than the seller originally anticipated was needed. It does have a bit of wonkiness with the onyx halo not being the same width around but just gives it a little character ;)2

Definitely agree I could have spent less starting new and replicating this (so I likely overpaid some) but I still love it and I learned lots so I am good with how it all turned out.

Again, thanks for all the comments and help with this, it was all very much appreciated. This is such a wonderful forum.

Here are some pics - I am not as skilled as most of you PS'ers at getting good ones!

(PS - next on my list are OEC studs if anyone sees any that are 7.8mm and J/K color :)))

Repaired top 2.jpg Repaired shouder view.jpg Repaired side view.jpg Repaired gallery.jpg

its just beautiful
im.so glad its all worked out
do you still have to treat it as an occasional ring or can you wear it every day now ?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am always happy to be wrong. Your tenacity is to your credit!

Gorgeous rehab......wear it in happiness!

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it and I think it is well worth every penny. The diamond is perfection and the setting looks authentic. Don’t for one second think you “overpaid” compared to some imaginary alternative that doesn’t even exist!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
@Rfisher the vendor covered the extra laser welding repair cost, and even elected to replace several pieces of the onyx - which were recut a second time when not up to her satisfaction.

@Daisys and Diamonds I can safely wear it every day now if I want!

I just came upon this and I am so glad you had a happy ending. Love Love Love your ring.

And as per usual I learned quite a bit about antique repair work. Mine isn't an antique, yet, but I managed to hit something and crumpled the undercarriage, smoosh the bezel wall. And I have always contended with some of the Emeralds being a little wonky so if I can get them reset/replaced best of both worlds. I hadn't assumed any of this was possible, much less up the freeway from me.

Pic is supposed to be the smooshed bit. 20191020_151215.jpg

AMRose

Rough_Rock
I just came upon this and I am so glad you had a happy ending. Love Love Love your ring.

And as per usual I learned quite a bit about antique repair work. Mine isn't an antique, yet, but I managed to hit something and crumpled the undercarriage, smoosh the bezel wall. And I have always contended with some of the Emeralds being a little wonky so if I can get them reset/replaced best of both worlds. I hadn't assumed any of this was possible, much less up the freeway from me.

Pic is supposed to be the smooshed bit.

Very cool ring @CSpan! I'm not sure if Grace's bench is private or will take work from just anyone. You could check. Otherwise, for sure Sako @ Cicada can repair your ring. I exchanged emails with him and not only is he skilled in restoration, but he seems extremely kind and friendly.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I love this ring, I remember seeing it on instagram. How do people tell it’s cast? I’ve been trying to learn how to tell the difference

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
@AMRose I just read your story, and wow! First off, you have a great eye for detail! Did you catch the issues with the piece right away, or did your jeweler point them out? I think it's wonderful that your story had a happy ending & you got what you wanted : ) You saw the potential for sure, congratulations on an authentic antique beauty : )

AMRose

Rough_Rock
@AMRose I just read your story, and wow! First off, you have a great eye for detail! Did you catch the issues with the piece right away, or did your jeweler point them out? I think it's wonderful that your story had a happy ending & you got what you wanted : ) You saw the potential for sure, congratulations on an authentic antique beauty : )

Thank you! I do really enjoy the ring & am happy I to have it.

I did not notice the issues in the seller’s Instagram posts (my eye was not that good initially but looking back once the ring was in my hands I could then see some issues in the video). As my first venture into old jewelry, I was not sure if the condition on arrival was normal for an antique piece or my expectations were unreasonable. A few local jewelers & my metalsmith/jeweler sister gave constructive concerns. Plus I got wonderful feedback here to guide me!

It was an excellent leaning experience & I am now more confident searching for & purchasing old pieces :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results