shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Remake?

Rare_Swan

Rough_Rock
I fell in love hard with an antique ring online. Sadly it is way too big for any of my fingers. Also, it is a lower karat gold than I normally wear.

I'd love to have David Klass make a version in my size and in my preferred gold karat.

I feel odd about the idea of taking screenshots of the ring and sending it on. Is that bad form? Should I buy the ring even if I only use it as inspiration for a remake?

I'd like some opinions about this. Thank you!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my opinion is, that if it's antique and you can no longer buy it from the person who designed it and sold it (or someone who is their successor) then you can have it copied. There is no one left whose work product it is. But that doesn't mean that you may not want to make a small tweak here and there anyway.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
I too fell hard for a ring last year… I actually picked up a second job, and saved every penny so i could buy her this July. 1920’s Edwardian ring, 3.45ct I/IF Old European diamond. The setting was incredible and the diamond was more than I could have ever dreamed of. She had been for sale for six years…

I was working 50+ hours a week for over a year when my dream ring sold this past Valentine’s Day. I was heartbroken to say the least, still am.

I reached out to David and he is going to remake the ring, I just need to find my diamond.

I am 100% on board with antique remakes, *if* the designer is no longer with us. Keep us posted! ❤️

Rare_Swan

Rough_Rock
This one is 14k and size 7. Idk what your size or budget is :

Ooo! That is a very interesting snake signet ring. I've saved it on Etsy so I can think on it. Thank you!

I also have an email out to David Klass to get his thoughts on a version of the first snake signet ring.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too fell hard for a ring last year… I actually picked up a second job, and saved every penny so i could buy her this July. 1920’s Edwardian ring, 3.45ct I/IF Old European diamond. The setting was incredible and the diamond was more than I could have ever dreamed of. She had been for sale for six years…

I was working 50+ hours a week for over a year when my dream ring sold this past Valentine’s Day. I was heartbroken to say the least, still am.

I reached out to David and he is going to remake the ring, I just need to find my diamond.

I am 100% on board with antique remakes, *if* the designer is no longer with us. Keep us posted! ❤️

please start a tread on this
my heart skipped a beat
but continuing to read im so happy for you, you will get the ring of your dreams after all that heart work

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with previous posters commenting that remaking antique pieces is ethically acceptable when the maker is deceased and/or when the piece represents a really common design style from the time period.

It seems like this snake signet was at least common enough for there to be these two examples. It’s not what you asked but with this type of thing I kind of feel like finding a true antique is preferable to a remake. There’s something special about the old versions that somehow isn’t caught in the new ones. Probably because the old ones were made using manufacturing techniques that are so pricey these days. I’m sure the example @Mreader posted was hand finished if not cast from a hand carved wax. Making a ring today using those methods is $3k+. Forget about those platinum Edwardian rings. Those are 6k+ to properly replicate, and so few people exist who can even do it. So while you can make something similar using the usual CAD methods, it just isn’t the same.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
What I love about the Etsy ring is the date 1904 on the back and the scales going all the way around. The initials can be polished off and replaced if desired.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I’d love to see a photo or two! I’m sorry your ring sold but I’m sure DKJ will create a beautiful replica!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is this snake signet ring. It is 10k gold (I'd prefer 14k) and a size 11.5 which is way too big for me!

https://www.rubylane.com/item/996295-5290/Victorian-10K-Double-Snake-Signet-Ring?search=1&t=362b8f8c

It’s beautiful. DKJ did a beautiful snake ring for Niel, I think it was 18k. So DKJ can do the fluid lines like this ring has, and engraving he can do also. I think it’s a straightforward way to go. I think it’s ok to use the original as an inspiration.

Niel’s stunning DKJ collaboration

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results