shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique pear with inclusions - how’s the cut?

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
I’ve been hunting for a antique pear to put in a blackened silver-plated gold buttercup pendant. Budget ideally under $3k for stone + setting + chain but flexible.

I don’t mind visible inclusions in a pendant… saw this antique E SI2 pear and was curious for other opinions. I love the high color, how chubby it is and the big culet. I don’t have any experience with pears, though, and I’m wary of mushiness/dead zones. Could any better trained eyes out there let me know what you think about the faceting and performance?

Video album here (swipe for more):
GIA: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1226414896

Relatedly, if anyone can share a good source for antique chains please let me know!

(Update on my other two threads! I’m still debating settings for the peruzzi and I decided to consign my OEC because though I adore the shape and the facet pattern, I couldn’t get over the slight olive undertone and it looked a little big on my finger for my visual preference.)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t speak about antique pears because I haven’t seen that many but I did come across this ring on EBay that has an old mine cut pear diamond 1.10 carats, not GIA but maybe worth asking for a closer picture of the diamond.

ETA: I’m not a super fan of the seller for a ring because it seems they put stones into settings that aren’t always a fit. Since you would be using just the diamond, you could save the setting for future use.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been hunting for a antique pear to put in a blackened silver-plated gold buttercup pendant. Budget ideally under $3k for stone + setting + chain but flexible.

I don’t mind visible inclusions in a pendant… saw this antique E SI2 pear and was curious for other opinions. I love the high color, how chubby it is and the big culet. I don’t have any experience with pears, though, and I’m wary of mushiness/dead zones. Could any better trained eyes out there let me know what you think about the faceting and performance?

Relatedly, if anyone can share a good source for antique chains please let me know!

(Update on my other two threads! I’m still debating settings for the peruzzi and I decided to consign my OEC because though I adore the shape and the facet pattern, I couldn’t get over the slight olive undertone and it looked a little big on my finger for my visual preference.)

I like the look of it. Do they have a good return policy so you could see it in person?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wait @lulu_ma has an antique pear in a cluster, maybe she wouldn’t mind weighing in on this one.

Hope you don’t mind the tag!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert-I just love antique pears!

Here's mine-it is in an antique ring and uncerted. The face up is 7 x 5.4 mm.

7A5EF572-0428-45DD-8A87-F946C160B53E.jpeg

The one you are looking at seems like it has potential. I do wonder if it is newly cut in an antique style due to the faceted girdle?

Last edited:

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert-I just love antique pears!

Here's mine-it is in an antique ring and uncerted. The face up is 7 x 5.4 mm.

7A5EF572-0428-45DD-8A87-F946C160B53E.jpeg

The one you are looking at seems like it has potential. I do wonder if it is newly cut in an antique style due to the faceted girdle?

Oh I LOVE the soft point on yours and the almost floral faceting… really lovely stone.

I asked the same question about the girdle! The seller (Rita) assured me it was a genuine antique that had had the edges cleaned up at one point. Is this a trust the vendor’s sourcing thing or is there a way to tell otherwise?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh I LOVE the soft point on yours and the almost floral faceting… really lovely stone.

I asked the same question about the girdle! The seller (Rita) assured me it was a genuine antique that had had the edges cleaned up at one point. Is this a trust the vendor’s sourcing thing or is there a way to tell otherwise?

Oh, I'm not sure. I haven't bought from Rita but she seems very nice and her pricing seems fair from my discussions with her.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
She’s so nice, pricing very fair, and she can source stones as well! I recommend her unreservedly, I bought my peruzzi through her!

Is the peruzzi set yet? If so, I would love to see the finished ring!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh-actually I’m going to tag @oldcutclubmember because she has a bigger antique pear :)

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
Is the peruzzi set yet? If so, I would love to see the finished ring!

No, I’m terrible and indecisive on ring settings so I’m distracting myself with another project first! Thinking about an Andrea Capello or inspired setting, though.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Oh-actually I’m going to tag @oldcutclubmember because she has a bigger antique pear :)

I like it for a pendant! The bigger culet may affect some of the light play but it’s not overly shallow like some other antique pears with a bigger culet. Can you ask for a video a little bit farther away in different lighting? This video is great to see the facets and the inclusions to see if they bother you but it doesn’t tell us much else.

Artemisia

Rough_Rock

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I really like your chubby pear, and think it will make a great pendant. Mine’s an E too, but I’m sure I paid quite a bit more from Lang’s! FE88F74B-653B-4D3B-AB17-3E09C6747D19.jpeg

Attachments

• C125F2F1-EA47-4E53-8993-152D54783172.jpeg
    C125F2F1-EA47-4E53-8993-152D54783172.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 22

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
I like it for a pendant! The bigger culet may affect some of the light play but it’s not overly shallow like some other antique pears with a bigger culet. Can you ask for a video a little bit farther away in different lighting? This video is great to see the facets and the inclusions to see if they bother you but it doesn’t tell us much else.

Got two videos on the hand at arm’s length!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it! What is your initial reaction?

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
I like it! What is your initial reaction?

I love the shape! I wasn’t sure if the bowtie effect was typical or if I should hold out for better. Also think I’ve gotten used to the larger facets of the more common shallow pears and how they perform—something about the faceting on this one is less chunky than I’d like. But maybe inevitable for a smaller stone?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of pears have bowties, but you can find one without. Most old cut pears do have chunkier facets than this one, but I think the faceting on this one helps “disguise” the inclusions. Pears are less common than rounds, old cuts less common than new cuts, and of course the usual budget constraints while balancing the other Cs. If you want a stone now have you considered MMD? If not, you don’t sound like you’d have regrets if this stone got away so perhaps keep looking?

danielle622

Rough_Rock

This looks like a beautiful stone to me! It has a nice open culet and nice faceting. There are definitely some visible inclusions, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it doesn't bother you, plus it has a beautiful white color that can't really be beat. It's really a matter of preference as to whether the inclusions bother you or if color is more important to you. Personally, I really like this stone!

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
Lots of pears have bowties, but you can find one without. Most old cut pears do have chunkier facets than this one, but I think the faceting on this one helps “disguise” the inclusions. Pears are less common than rounds, old cuts less common than new cuts, and of course the usual budget constraints while balancing the other Cs. If you want a stone now have you considered MMD? If not, you don’t sound like you’d have regrets if this stone got away so perhaps keep looking?

thank you for the advice, I love the "Will this be the one that got away?" test. I ended up passing on this one despite loving the shape and culet. For a pendant I'd like a chunkier facet look.

I am weird but I really don't mind visible inclusions, tint/color, fluorescence, I think they're all charming when right. All about cut for me...

MMD - not opposed but I love the romance of antiques. I have been really tempted by Shan Adams's pears though!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen this one?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Artemisia

Rough_Rock
Have you seen this one?

Sorry I missed this message. I have seen it, I actually have something consigned with Grace and have been considering whether to take whatever proceeds come in cash or trade in credit and this is on the shortlist!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results